Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Ad Interim ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: I've just always wondered where Selphie and the others were during the first Kingdom Hearts storyline. So, I decided to write what I thought might have happened. Their own adventure, so to speak.
Warnings: Kingdom Hearts from an all-new perspective. More characters, more worlds, and all from Selphie, Tidus, and Wakka's point of view. One or two original characters, depending on how I feel. Hints of RikuSora, and Selphie may or may not develop a huge crush on Irvine or Tidus.
Disclaimer: Dude, if I owned these characters, I'd be rich.
 
Prologue
The roll of thunder woke Selphie from her sleep. She rolled onto her back and sat up with a yawn. Looking out her bedroom window, she noticed a storm rolling in over the island where she and her friends often played. The dark clouds covered the waning moon and the stars that were usually quite bright against the dark tapestry of the night sky. Lightning flashed over the island a few times, bringing more thunder around.
“Gee, I hope all of our stuff is okay,” Selphie said out loud, thinking of the shack where she, Tidus, Wakka, Kairi, Sora, and Riku kept their things overnight.
Something caught Selphie's eyes all of a sudden. Looking again, she saw Kairi running towards the dock where all of the kids kept the little rowboats they owned. Selphie blinked. What was Kairi doing? Going out to sea during a storm was incredibly dangerous! She'd drown if she wasn't careful. Selphie threw her window open and leaned out just enough to yell her friend's name.
“KAIRI!”
The girl didn't seem to hear her. Selphie let out an exasperated sigh and jumped out of bed. She grabbed her jacket from the desk chair and ran downstairs. There was no time to throw on her shoes, so she just ran outside without them. The rain was beginning to fall on the island where everyone lived, so her feet were getting wet. She pulled her jacket on over her pajamas as she chased after Kairi.
“Kairi!” she called. “Wait up!”
She followed Kairi down the street towards the docks and had almost caught up to the other girl when someone else ran into her from the side. The impact sent Selphie to the wet ground.
“Ow!” she cried as she hit pavement.
“Oof!” the other person exclaimed.
Selphie scrambled to her feet and saw Tidus on the ground. The boy was wearing a pair of old shorts and a t-shirt, with a jacket over to protect him from the rain. Like Selphie, it seemed that he had come straight from bed. Fast footsteps from the same direction Tidus had come from alerted Selphie to the presence of another person.
“Yo, Tidus!” came the voice of their friend, Wakka. “Wait up, man!”
“Tidus, Wakka,” Selphie said. “What are you out here for?”
“We could ask you the same question,” Tidus said, standing up.
“I saw Kairi heading for the docks,” Selphie explained in a hurry.
Tidus and Wakka exchanged glances.
“We saw Riku and Sora heading that way, too,” Tidus said.
“Somethin's going on,” Wakka told the other two. “And we gotta stop those three before they get hurt.”
Selphie nodded. “We can beat them to the docks if we hurry.”
“And if we take the shortcut,” Tidus added.
“Let's go, then!”
*****
The storm was steadily getting worse. Selphie, Tidus and Wakka hadn't quite managed to make it to the docks in time to stop their friends from heading off to the island. Kairi had already reached the island, having been the first to leave. Riku was just reaching the dock on the island where they played. Sora was still half-way to the island. Selphie tried to shout Sora's name over the thunder to no avail. She stomped her foot in annoyance.
“That idiot!” she cried. “Doesn't he realise how bad it's getting?”
“Riku and Kairi should have known better, too,” Tidus said. “Riku especially; he's been here longer than any of us, he should definitely know better.”
“Well, now what?” Wakka asked. “We can't go after them.”
“We've got to do something!” Selphie protested. “Get an adult or something!”
“What are the adults going to do?” Tidus asked. “Nobody sails during a storm.”
“Let's just hope Kairi and the others get somewhere where it's safe,” Wakka told Selphie. “They may have been stupid enough to sail during a storm, but at least they're not so stupid they'd stand on the beach when there's lightning.”
“Ooh!” Selphie exclaimed, frowning. She stomped her feet and then headed to one of the rowboats.
“Selphie! What are you doing?!”
“I'm going after them!”
“That makes you just as stupid as they are!” Tidus told her.
“I don't care! Those are my friends over there and I'm going to make sure they're okay!”
Tidus and Wakka looked at each other.
“Might as go with her,” Wakka said. “Make sure she stays all right.”
“Yeah,” Tidus agreed. “Stupid girl.”
“I heard that!” Selphie shouted from the rowboat.
Tidus let out an exasperated sigh and followed Wakka over to the rowboat that Selphie was prepping for sail. The two boys jumped in and grabbed an oar each. Selphie untied the rope and the three of them headed for the island through the rough waves.
*****
“This is so stupid,” Tidus said as they reached a little over half-way between the main island and the island where the kids played. “We tell each other that they're being stupid by going to the island during a storm and now we're doing the same thing!”
“Just keep paddling, Tidus!” Selphie shouted over the storm.
“What are those?!” Wakka exclaimed suddenly. He pointed to the smaller island where the paopu trees grew.
Selphie and Tidus looked over. Scrambling around the island were small black creatures with glowing yellow eyes, the likes of which Tidus, Selphie, and Wakka had never seen before, much less on their island. The creatures seemed to rise directly out of the ground, shifting around the shadows. In the center of the island, Selphie could see a figure standing amongst the shadows. She peered through the darkness and recognised the figure as Riku. Looking even closer, she saw Sora running across the bridge towards Riku.
“Hurry, guys!” Selphie cried. “I see Sora and Riku!”
“Damn it, Selphie,” Tidus swore. “We're paddling as fast as we can!”
Through the raging waters, the little boat that carried the three teens pushed. They were still too far from the island to call out to Sora or Riku. There was a sudden flash of light and Selphie, Tidus, and Wakka covered their eyes to avoid being blinded. When they opened their eyes again, their boat had been pushed back several feet and Riku was no longer on the little island. Sora still stood there, but he ran off toward the secret place by the waterfall before any of them could call for him.
“What is he doing?” Selphie asked. “Where's Riku?!”
“Who cares?!” Tidus shouted over the waves. “We should forget about them and head back to shore! Before we drown!”
“No!” Selphie protested. “We gotta make sure that Kairi's okay!”
“You're crazy, Selphie!”
“No, I'm worried!”
“Shut up and paddle, Tidus!” Wakka exclaimed. “We'd be safer at the island. The main island's too far from here!”
Tidus gave an exasperated sigh, but paddled towards the island as Wakka said. Between him and Wakka, they managed to make a steady pace against the crashing waves, brewed up by the storm. They weren't getting all that far too quickly, but at least they were making progress. Kind of.
“Paddle!” Wakka commanded. “Harder! Harder!”
“Will you shut up?!” Tidus retorted.
“Waaaaghhhh!” Selphie screamed suddenly. “What is that?!”
Tidus and Wakka looked up. They stopped paddling when they saw the giant, dark creature standing…where the island had been. Winds had destroyed the shack they had built, the decks, the tree-house, even the trees! Nothing remained of the playground paradise they had created with their parents. In fact, almost nothing remained of the island at all. And the creature…
It was like a giant being made of shadows. There was a heart shape cut from its chest and its head was covered with what looked to be shadowy serpents. It was the scariest thing that Selphie had ever seen. And from the looks of horror on Tidus and Wakka's faces, it was the scariest thing that both the boys had ever seen. Both of them seemed frozen, unable to move to row closer to the island.
“I-is that S-Sora?” Selphie asked.
A flash of red across the black figure gave hint that Sora was there. There was also a flash of silver. Selphie couldn't tell what the silver part was, and neither could Tidus or Wakka. The brown-haired boy seemed to be fighting whatever the creature was. They could only guess that the silver flash came from some sort of weapon.
Selphie stood up. “What is he thinking?”
“Selphie! Sit down!” Wakka shouted. “We're gonna to capsize!”
Things were flying around the island, as if a tornado had hit it. From their spot on the sea between the two islands, Tidus, Wakka and Selphie watched as the winds picked the black creature up and towards a ball of red, black and blue lightning. The waves that slammed against the boat grew stronger as the winds speed up. A large rolling wave came out of seemingly nowhere and smashed up against the little rowboat, knocking the three teenagers out of it and into the cold, raging sea.
Selphie screamed as she fell into the water. She tried to close her mouth in time, but failed to do so, getting a mouthful of salty water as she sank. Swimming upwards as fast as she could, Selphie broke the surface, spat out the salt water in her mouth and coughed. She flipped her hair out of her face and treaded the water the best she could as she looked around.
“TIDUS!” she shouted. A wave from behind her slammed against her back, shoving her forward and underwater for a mere moment. She coughed up more water. “WAKKA!”
“SELPHIE!”
She couldn't tell which one of her friends had called her name. The din of thunder and crashing waves had made it too hard to hear clearly. Selphie tried to swim towards what remained of the island, but she was tired, she was cold, and the waves were making it too hard.
“SELPHIE!”
The next thing Selphie knew, she had been pulled underwater and was falling into the depths of the ocean.
 
Author's Note: Absolutely no clue how far I'll get with this fic. I'm on academic probation from school, so I do have a couple months of nothing to do but writing and looking for a job. Maybe I'll get a bit farther. I do have plans for this story; oh, many plans do I have! But yeah, like I said, I don't know how far I'll get. Depends on how much people like it, I guess.