Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Fighting the Darkness ❯ Fighting the Darkness ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Riku swung his keyblade, catching a Shadow across the head. The Heartless burst out of existence, but Riku had already moved on to the next, and the next, and the next. An unending stream of Heartless. Riku had already lost King Mickey, the mouse still fighting somewhere else in the blackness.
 
Riku. Riku.
 
Riku didn't falter at the voice. He had been hearing it for…well, he didn't really know how long. There were no days or nights here. Time didn't exist. Only darkness. All Riku knew was that the voice would occasionally appear. Sometimes it was while he was surrounded by Heartless. Other times it would be in a rare lull. But it was always the same message.
 
Give in Riku. Let yourself go. You don't have to suffer like this.
 
But he does. He has to suffer. It's all that's left for him now. He betrayed his friends. Sora. Kairi. He let them down. Even now, he doesn't deserve forgiveness. All he can do is suffer for his crimes.
 
No Riku. You've already paid enough. You made everything right again. Now you deserve to rest. Just accept it. Claim the power. You won't have to fight anymore. It will all be over.
 
Riku shook his head. So tempting. If he just gave in and took the power the voice was offering, he could be free. He wouldn't have to fight anymore. He could escape this endless dark.
 
You could see them again. Kairi. Sora. You wouldn't be alone anymore.
 
Yes. He could go home. Everything would be alright. He just had to give in. He just…had to…give…No! Riku snarled and jumped back into the mass of Heartless. He couldn't give in. If he did…no. He would never be able to go home then. He would never be able to go back to Sora if he gave in to the darkness. He couldn't lose Sora like that. Not now. Not now that he had finally realized how much the other boy meant to him.
 
You can leave this place and take your Sora. Just give in to the darkness and everything will be better. No more fighting. No more worrying. Just power. You could make Sora do whatever you want. He would be yours. Yours forever.
 
Riku took another swipe at Heartless. No. That wasn't how he wanted it. Sora deserved better than that. Sora would never accept someone who had given into the darkness. Sora belonged in the light. Riku would never allow darkness to taint that.
 
It's already a part of you. Just give in to it. Just let accept it and let it out.
 
No! He refused to believe that. He had shut away the darkness. It wasn't a part of him anymore. He had rejected it. Riku took a particularly violent swing at a Heartless, the creature and the four behind it drifting into nothingness. He would never give in. He couldn't. Not if he ever wanted to go home. Not if he ever wanted Sora to take him back. Not if he wanted to keep Sora firmly in the light.
 
Riku waited for the voice to respond to his thoughts. Nothing. Just the sound of his keyblade taking out Heartless after Heartless. And, faintly, King Mickey, calling him back from the darkness.