Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Hemisphere ❯ Hemisphere ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

unEXPECTED .

four years later, and quite the change
 
ONE : SHOT
by kurumi
She watches a light begin to peek through the crack of the blinds through her window. She stands and fills in the gap until the light is no more. Disgusting, she prays to the dark and cradles back under her covers where it's not so bright, and not so friendly. Her insanity is tattooed to her subconscious, and somehow, someway it makes her smile. She rolls onto her back, as if feigning death, wishing she didn't have to fake it. Kairi could clearly picture herself at the edge of the cliff when everyone had gotten their first glimpse of her true self; her road to dawning as she truly was. How she had tried to free-fall straight into the ocean to forever float away, but “Adversity” grabbed her arm. The way he'd looked at her had rendered her speechless. He only smiled telling her he was her sanctuary and held her tight as if he could fix who she truly was, from the very beginning.
 
She had only laughed a silent laugh into his chest, her face pillowed between the space in his neck. The voice in her mind laughed too, saying, foolish Sora, for he can't save her. She's perfectly okay with that. He's very foolish, the voice remarks again, and she agrees. He only smiled into her hair. “Have strength Kairi.” That was the first time she could ever remember laughing in confusion. Tell me Sora (what is “strength” ?). Suddenly his eyes are more than she can bear. She could only look down, but still then, what could she possibly do?
 
Kairi takes a sharp inhale of breath as her fake death ends, a Romeo & Juliette syndrome, and glances at the alarm clock. Soon, she'll free-fall into her everlasting hemisphere.
 
x x x
 
She spaces out as a high-pitched octave does it's best to penetrate Kairi's lack of attention. She can't help the fact that she doesn't care, and openly tells it to the girl who calls herself “Kairi's best friend.” Kairi feels another urge to laugh but keeps it down as the bright girl throws her hands frantically in front of Kairi's face. Slowly the smile from the girls face fades and it makes Kairi smirk instead, while she decides that maybe it's time to listen. She spins her drink around as entertainment waiting for the point of the girls' words, but they don't seem to be coming any time soon. She tips her head back to get a shock as the sun bursts into her now dull sapphire eyes. She closes them, barely listening to Selphie's random conversation until Kairi rambles out quietly. “And about Sora…”
 
In the back of her mind, Kairi had secretly sworn she'd forgotten every last spiky tip of him. She'd swore! Although she had only lied to herself; his ocean pools of adversity had been the only things keeping her alive until now. Kairi watches Selphie, her eyes a little stormy and frustrated. Her hard, cold stare stabs at Selphie's heart, and Selphie knows that Kairi is having an inner conflict about the chestnut boy. With a quick ignorance of the voice in her head, paying no mind to its protests, she continues. “What's happened to him… after he saved me?” She so sarcastically emphasized saved. Quietly Kairi gives the most honest, open look she's given in so long, and she even lets the slightest smile form on her lips.
 
“Saved you?” Selphie tilted her head, parting her lips, staring directly into Kairi's long gone passionate eyes. If it's one thing Kairi knows she doesn't need, it's hesitation. She slams her hands on the table, forcing a hard look across her face. So she continues on, her voice scratchy with anger. “Yes. The day… the day I tried diving over the edge of the cliff… and he pulled me down.” Selphie gives Kairi a look that she has never before seen. It's a mix of sadness, confusions, hesitation and pity. Kairi feels like striking Selphie so hard that she'll go unconscious, until she watches Selphie as she begins to cry. Kairi has never seen Selphie cry, and it begins tugging on her emotions. “Selph?” She questions, beginning to worry.
 
Slowly Selphie is hiding her face, crying desperately into her hands. Kairi feels genuine worry for the first time in so long, that it makes her clam down. “Selph…” She begins, but her words eventually die down.
 
“Kairi— that day, Sora wasn't there.” Selphie looks directly at Kairi, beginning to explain. “He never helped you down.” Kairi laughs scornfully, her normal laugh suddenly, thinking that this is all Selphie playing one of her jokes on her. Only, Selphie's expression is hurt, and it occurs to Kairi. Selphie wasn't lying.
 
“Then, Selph…” Her words again die down. “… Where?” Where. Where. Where. Where?
“Sora, he's dead.” The knife of a reality check quickly shot through her heart, not sparing an emotion. All the emotions she'd never felt since that day had began rushing through her “That's why— it's why you were at the cliff over the ocean in the first place. That's where Sora died. You probably don't remember… but he slipped over.”
 
She hears the voice in her mind
 
Foolish Kairi, it says.
 
x x x
 
It's the ending of night; so many nights had passed her by in her state of amnesia, state of insanity. She hadn't cried once since, and no all she can do is cry. Where did I come from long ago, she thinks, and where will I go in the future? She walks closer to the edge, and speaks aloud. “What a wonderful place to die, the ocean is so… peaceful.” Her own hemisphere, her everlasting free-fall. She steps one foot into the blank air, and is prepared to do so with the rest of her body, until she feels a tugging.
 
“Kairi be strong.” Kairi looks back, but… “Adversity” is already gone, from where she stood at the edge of the cliff…. For the first time she could see where she was.
 
Slowly… Slowly… gliding towards the climax of the water. Slowly, gliding down into a hemisphere of sadness. Suddenly planted into the ocean— What a wonderful free-fall!
 
Kairi looks down, over the edge, watching her ribbon fall down, hoping it reaches her beloved adversity. She went back to the rock, standing on it, and staring into the horizon. The rock acts as her pedestal, and she smiles, as the voice appears no more. The sun begins to rise, reflecting onto the ocean, stealing away the limelight.
 
She smiled outwardly, not afraid any longer, deciding she wanted to know all about herself, in her new hemisphere of living; a struggle which takes “Strength.”
 
She will continue living, and she is heading into a world she can't even imagine, but somehow she know that if anything should go wrong she'll feel a tug & with that she is off into her new tomorrow.