Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ In The Meantime ❯ Day 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Day 8
 
((6:35am::..::going_2_skewl!))
 
Amarii was walking along the sidewalk towards their spot where every morning one would wait for the other so both her and Lae could walk to school together. A'rii watched her feet as she walked, but looked up a bit when she was nearer to. Apparently Lae had beat her to it today. A'rii looked up, strait ahead to see her friend fully when she stopped. A'rii froze in place, staring, wide-eyed at what she knew as Lae, her best friend for who knows how long. One thing that scared her, though, is she didn't look like the friend she used to know. She looked like someone that was never supposed to exist, only in a game they knew well. A character A'rii like very much, in a way she would never imagine liking her best friend as. She looked down again, feeling shy and a little depressed as she walked the rest of the way towards Lae.
 
“Hey, A'rii.” Lae (Axel?) greeted her, as she (he?) did every morning.
 
“H-hey, Lae.” A'rii responded, quieter than usual, refusing to let herself look at Lae (Axel?).
 
Lae leaned forward a bit, trying to see A'rii's face through her hair. “Are you okay? A'rii?”
 
A'rii glanced at her friend and nodded, not saying a word.
 
“You sure? You're oddly quiet…” Lae said, raising an eyebrow at her as she continued to watch A'rii, worried.
 
“Y-yeah…I'm f-fine…” A'rii responded, still acting shy as she looked away from Lae (Axel?).
 
“Hm…” Lae thought, trying to figure out why A'rii was acting like this. She shrugged it off for the time being and looked forward, in the direction they were walking. But she couldn't just shrug it off. She couldn't stop wondering why A'rii was like this. They were best friends; how could she not be worried about her?
 
A'rii glanced over to Lae for the first time today, besides when they met at their spot, when she noticed more than just her hair had changed in one day. She was taller now, too. About 4 inches taller than A'rii was. The last time A'rii saw Lae, which was the day before yesterday, Lae was about an inch shorter than A'rii.
 
“Y-you're…taller…” A'rii muttered loud enough for Lae to hear.
 
Lae jumped slightly at the sudden remark after she'd been deep in thought and laughed, noticing A'rii was right. “Hah, yeah, I guess so.”
 
`Alright, good start. Now just keep talking! It'll get easier if you talk more, A'rii.' “A-and you're hair changed ag-gain…” A'rii stuttered, trying to not be quiet.
 
“Yeah, that happened yesterday. Medy was over and we were teasing Gaku.” Lae said, laughing to herself.
 
“Medy was over? And Gaku?” A'rii asked, perking up at the familiar names. `Thank God he-er-she's talking too…'
 
“Yeah…Oh! I'm sorry, I forgot to ask if you wanted to come yesterday…I'm sorry!” Lae said, guilt showing on her (his?) face.
 
A'rii laughed, “That's okay! It's a good thing you could spend some time with Medy.”
 
“Yeah, that's what I thought…”
 
Both were silent again as they thought.
 
`Man, now what? What should I say? I'm gonna get shy again…dammit!'
 
`Hm…did I tell her about that? I don't think I did…She doesn't look like she wants to talk though…eh, whatever.'
 
“Oh! Guess what I found out?” Lae perked up after a few seconds that felt to A'rii like forever.
 
“What?”
 
“Medy's Demyx!” Lae (Axel?) said proudly.
 
A'rii laughed, “So it's official then!”
 
“Yup! And when Gaku assured her I was Axel and assured me she was Demyx, he gave us our elements!”
 
A'rii looked at Lae, surprised. “Your…element?”
 
“Yeah, like how I'd be fire and Medy'd be water.”
 
“Oh! …Wait…is that a good thing…?” A'rii asked, raising an eyebrow at Lae, remembering what had happened a few years back on a camping trip…
 
Lae smirked “I dunno…”
 
“Especially after that camping trip…I don't think so…”
 
Lae laughed, “But that was fun!”
 
“Hah, not when that flaming marshmallow you chucked lit someone elses tent on fire!” A'rii added, laughing with Lae.
 
Both girls couldn't stop laughing as they relived that memory, telling their side of what had happened, back and forth, all the way to school.
 
((6:50am::..::1sthr.Español))
 
“Oh God…”
 
“What?”
 
“Oh shit…”
 
“…What?”
 
“We have finals today, don't we?”
 
+Silence+
 
After a minute and in unison: “FUCK!!!”
 
“Amarii! Lae!! You know I won't tolerate such language in my classroom!”
 
“Sorry Mrs. Fujita!” Lae apologized, looking over A'rii's shoulder to see her, to make sure they were forgiven.
 
“So what are we gonna do?” A'rii asked, scared as hell about the final tests that count as like 50 percent of your grade. Especially since she hadn't studied. Well, actually, if you couldn't tell from the previous dialogue, neither of them have.
 
“Well, it's only the first day, right? So all we have is Spanish and gym…” Lae said, dropping her head onto the desk as she began to fall asleep, as usual.
 
“No, actually, they're making it more difficult this time.”
 
“What?” Lae asked as she perked up, her head immediately up-right again.
 
“We have first, second, third and forth hour exams today, the rest we have tomorrow, and then the school year is over.” A'rii stated.
 
“…Really?” Lae asked, staring at A'rii emotionlessly, ironically.
 
“Yup.”
 
Seriously?
 
“Yeah.”
 
“We have four exams today?” Still staring.
 
“Well, gym doesn't really count, since he doesn't really give a shit about tests…”
 
“Alright, three exams then?”
 
“Yup.”
 
They were silent, thinking of what exams they'd have. Lae dropped her head onto her arms, resting on her desk, in exhaustion of just thinking of the tests she'd have, when A'rii finally decided to ask.
 
“So…what ones do you have, besides Spanish and gym?”
 
“Science and history.”
 
“Oh snap…”
 
“Yeah. Why even bother?” Lae leaned back in her chair, looking towards the ceiling with her hands supporting her head.
 
“True…I have history and math…”
 
“I'd rather have math.”
 
“Yeah, math's easy.”
 
“Ha, for you.
 
“…Then why'd ya just say you'd rather have math?”
 
“'Cause then I can guess and have some chance of being right!” Lae stated, beaming a smile at A'rii.
 
“Oh, riiight.”
 
“Either way I'm gonna fail `em all. Probably.” Lae said, stating the obvious.
 
“You're lucky your parents don't give a shit. I'm so screwed…I'm gonna fail…” A'rii said sadly as she dropped her head onto Lae's desk in defeat.
 
“Aw, c'mon! What did I tell you a while ago that you told me you'd never forget?”
 
A'rii lifted her head and sat up, thinking. “…That you'll always be a blonde, no matter what your hair color is?”
 
“Not that. The other thing.”
 
“…You can't and won't ever be able to swim `cause you despise water for some unknown reason?”
 
“No!! Not that either! The other thing!”
 
“What other thing?”
 
Lae now dropped her head down onto the desk as she sighed, defeated. “Que sera, sera you idiot.”
 
“Oh, that…wha'd's that mean again?”
 
Lae started pounding her head onto the desk at how stupid A'rii was acting.
 
“Hey, hey! Stop it, you're gonna get a headache and then you're gonna be cranky and I don't wanna deal with it!”
 
Lae stopped, her head resting in the same spot on the desk as she started laughing. “Well you're being such an idiot I dunno what to do anymore!”
 
“So tell me what it means again, and I won't forget it!”
 
“What will be, will be, and what won't, won't.” Lae stated, then mumbled to herself, “for the sixth time…”
 
“Otay!” A'rii assured cutely, smiling at Lae.
 
“Get. It. Memorized.”
 
“I did, I did!”
 
“Good girl.” Lae yawned, patting A'rii's head and resting her own on the desk again as she began to fall asleep. A'rii started staring at the wall behind Lae, zoning out, when Medy sat down in her desk next to Lae, looking from A'rii to Lae and back again. She shrugged and started digging through her backpack.
 
Lae stretched a bit and tilted her head to face Medy, her eyes half closed. “Hey, Dem-Dem.”
 
“Finally I get a greeting.” Medy said, sitting up again, her Spanish text book on her desk and a pencil in hand.
 
“I was sleeping, sorry.”
 
“I noticed. And Amarii is staring onto space again.”
 
“Who-say-who-da-what-now?” A'rii said, snapping back to reality, hearing her name, and quoting that one person from Scrubs…forgot his name…lol.
 
Medy laughed at A'rii's reaction as Lae sat up and poked A'rii's forehead, watching her head tilt back slightly, then return to normal.
 
“Hey, we have early release today, don't we?” A'rii asked, waving to Medy.
 
“Yeah, I think so…”
 
“So do either of you intend on doing anything besides what you're currently doing?” A'rii asked of the two. Lae was sleeping again as Medy flipped through her text book, `studying'.
 
“Nope.” Lae said drowsily.
 
“Same.” Medy agreed.
 
A'rii glared at Lae. “Lazy ass.”
 
“Yup.”
 
“And what about me?” Medy asked.
 
“Hm…”A'rii thought, trying to think of what to call Medy. “…All I can think of is boring, sorry.”
 
“Eh, whatever. Were you planning on doing something?”
 
“Not really…I just thought we could go do something, have fun, ya know? Get a taste of summer.”
 
“That'll be coming in less than 2 days.” Lae, stating the obvious again.
 
“Shuddup you.” A'rii said, jabbing the side of Lae's head.
 
“Ow.”
 
“That could be fun…” Medy thought out loud, closing her book.
 
“Duh!”
 
“Especially since we don't really know what's gonna happen once we're fully…” Medy stopped, looking down at her book, knowing the other two knew what she meant.
 
“Yeah, we should enjoy every minute. From the looks of it, you two are practically them already.” A'rii said, looking Lae and Medy over.
 
“My hair's still a little flat.” Lae said, sitting up and combing her fingers through her hair.
 
“Excuses.” A'rii said.
 
“And we're technically not guys yet, you know.” Medy pointed out.
 
“And that's important.” Lae said.
 
Definitely.” A'rii said in a sarcastic tone.
 
“Alright, every one quiet!” Mrs. Fujita was at the front of the room, holding a pile of booklets, getting ready to pass them out. “As you all know and most likely just realized, today is the first day of finals. And whether you studied or not, your Spanish final is right now. Good luck, though I doubt it's going to help you now.” She announced as she passed out the tests.
 
A'rii sighed as she mumbled, “Que sera, sera…”
 
Lae stared at the test in front of her, her eyes half closed as A'rii dug through her backpack for 2 decent pencils for them, knowing Lae didn't have one, as usual. Lae flipped through the many pages, unable to translate any of the Spanish she saw. A'rii looked up again, setting a pencil onto Lae's desk as she read from part of Lae's test.
 
“Wha'd's that say?”
 
“That we're fucked.” Lae answered as Medy snickered. Lae elbowed her in the side, causing her to jump, and to stop laughing at them.
 
“Oh, right. I guess we are then.”
 
((12:10pm::..::end_day1_exams))
 
Lae was stretching again, having been sleeping since she'd finished the oddly easy history exam, and began to pack up her things when Kara decided to come over.
 
“So, I'm guessing you failed, as usual, Lae-ie?”
 
Lae flinched at the nickname, as she usually did. “Yeah, probably. You probably did worse though. I actually understood the vocabulary section.” Lae said, smiling evilly at Kara as she stood up and started for the door.
 
Kara laughed. “Yeah, probably…”
 
Lae stopped, surprised, and turned to Kara, staring at her.
 
“…What?” Kara asked after a few seconds of Lae's staring.
 
“Why are you being nice to me?”
 
“What d'ya mean?”
 
“I though you were just gonna take a shot at annoying me again, since this is the last time you'll be seeing me, `til next year.”
 
“Oh, but I have a feeling I won't be seeing you anymore.”
 
“What, are you finally moving somewhere away from me?” Lae asked harshly as she turned towards the door again and headed for her locker.
 
Kara laughed again, following Lae. “No, but I'm sure you're gonna be gone before the end of the summer.”
 
Lae froze in the middle of the hallway, Kara almost immediately bumping into her. “What?”
 
“I've noticed what, or, rather, who you're becoming. I've also been paying close attention to you and your friends, especially….oh, what was her name again…ah, Medy.” Kara stopped there, waiting for a response from Lae. When none came, only the assurance the Lae was listening, she decided to continue. “I don't intend on using this information, if true, as black mail, since I can only imagine what might happen, though I will if I have to…just as long as you agree to my deal.”
 
“And what would this deal be?” Lae immediately asked, not wanting to waste too much time with Kara.
 
“Let me be your friend until you…leave…”
 
“And what do you mean by friend?”
 
“What do you think I mean?”
 
“No.” Lae answered coldly, staring at Kara, her eyes oddly dark. Kara flinched at her response. “What I will agree to is, if you'd like, to hanging out with me and my friends, and being a friend, simply how the rest of them are.”
 
“No! I wanna be your only friend!!!” Kara half-yelled, obviously not liking Lae's idea.
 
“Then no. Now go away.” Lae responded coldly again, turning to go back to her locker.
 
“Black-mail it is then.” Kara said to herself, knowing Lae could hear her. “And it starts right now.
 
Lae's perked up, having an idea of what Kara would do. She looked over her shoulder to see Kara running to the office and spun around, chasing her. She caught up with Kara in a shorter time than she would've before and ran ahead, blocking Kara and grabbed her arm, dragging her to Lae's locker. Lae pushed her, slamming her into the lockers next to her own and stared coldly at her, her eyes actually glowing green as Kara slid down the locker, now sitting on the ground, looking up to Lae with fear-filled eyes, then shocked, and back to fear when Lae's hair lifted more, now looking exactly identical to Axel.
 
“Don't you dare move even an inch.” Lae growled, opening her locker and stuffing her backpack with all she could. She'd clean up the rest tomorrow. Kara sat there, staring at Lae the whole time, not daring to object to what she'd told her. Lae slammed her locker shut and swung her over-stuffed backpack over her shoulder, then grabbed Kara's arm again and pulled her along to the entrance to the school, making sure she won't get away.
 
“Do you need to go to your locker?” Lae asked when she stopped, looking at Kara.
 
“N-no, I-I can g-get it to-tomorrow.” Kara answered, stuttering.
 
“Alright.” Lae continued for the entrance as Kara stumbled to keep up. They met up with Medy and Amarii right outside of the entrance.
 
“What is she doing here?” A'rii asked, instantly pissed, her arms crossed and an eyebrow raised as Medy just stood there, watching Kara, not knowing who she was.
 
“I'll put it simply; she figured it out.”
 
Both A'rii and Medy's expressions became shocked as A'rii stared at Lae and Medy at Kara.
 
“S-seriously?” A'rii asked, half-whispering.
 
“Yeah. She made a deal that I rejected, so she went with the alternative.”
 
“Which was?” A'rii asked, more serious and calm than she was a second ago. Medy was also calmer, still staring at Kara.
 
“As long as she remains my only friend, she won't say anything.” Lae said as A'rii glared at Kara. “I rejected it, and changed it a bit, simply to her being a friend like you guys, but she rejected that, so I told her to fuck off. So she went with the alternative and ran for the office, probably gonna announce it on the loudspeaker, but I caught her before she could.”
 
“So now we have to keep her.” A'rii stated.
 
“Well, I was thinking we could punish her somehow…”
 
“Lae!” A'rii yelled at her.
 
“What?” Lae smirked.
 
“We should just leave her be, I think.” Medy said, looking around the schoolyard full of students. They all looked around, noticing that over half of the students were staring at the four. “'Cause I think they figured it out too.”
 
“Aw, fuck.”