Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Kingdom Hearts: A New Threat ❯ The Only Way ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5:
She gasped, “M-Me? I-I'm sorry, Your Majesty, but I think you may be mistaken; I don't know anything about magic.”
“Neither did Sora, or Riku, or Kairi until they were forced to learn as a matter of survival.”
“But…I don't even have a weapon, let alone a Keyblade!”
“I think you do have one…you just don't realize it. Tell me, do you have something that you've had all your life…or at least for as long as you can remember? Or maybe something of great significance to you?”
Iona thought momentarily before reaching for her necklace. On a thin silver chain was connected an intricate swirl design, an inverted tear drop-shaped amethyst hanging off of it.
“This has been passed on throughout my mother's family for years, given to the oldest daughter on the day of her birth. When I was older, my mom told me she didn't know--actually no one knew--why, but all anyone knew was that it was incredibly important.”
“That must be it,” the King said. “Now, all we have to do is figure out how to get the Keyblade to reveal itself. Well, there is only one way I know of.”
“Which is?” Iona asked.
“You have to face a Heartless alone.”
“NO WAY!” Riku yelled suddenly, leaping from his seat, startling everyone. He looked at everyone's confused faces and sat back down, “I mean, it isn't a good idea; she doesn't look like she's experienced enough to take on a Heartless.”
“He's right, I'm not,” Iona quickly agreed.
“Neither was I, but I survived,” Sora argued.
“But you had been sparing with Riku and Tidus and Wakka for years; you knew how to defend yourself.”
“What about if we prepare her first? You know, give her a lesson on the basics,” Riku suggested, getting looks of shock from Kairi and Sora which he promptly ignored.
In all the years they knew him, neither remember him EVER volunteering to teach someone how to fight, let alone a girl he just met. But the King did an excellent job of ignoring Kairi and Sora as he answered Riku.
“Sorry, Riku, but I can't let that happen; she has to do this without any help. In fact, it should be done right now. Iona, are you ready?”
“Well, I, uh--”
“Let's go then,” the King said, hopping off his seat.
He walked around the table, took Iona's hand, pulled her up from her seat and guided her from the room. Riku tried so stop him, but Goofy wouldn't let him. Iona looked over her shoulder as she left the room. She made eye contact with Riku and smiled slightly, making him try to get past Goofy even more. The King tugged on Iona's hand a bit more, and they disappeared into the hall. The King continued to guide her through the castle, through secret doorways and hallways, around many twists and turns, until they reached a door that lead to a room that had to be at least one hundred feet below the main level of the Castle. The King stopped and looked at Iona.
“Now, I won't lie; facing a Heartless for the first time is scary. But if I'm right, you'll have the Keyblade in your hand quickly and you'll know exactly how to use it.”
“I'll know how to use it?”
“Yup; its something you know deep inside your heart, passed down throughout your mothers family, just like your necklace.”
“What if something goes wrong?”
“I'll be watching the whole time; if something happens, I'll be there in a flash.”
Iona sighed and looked at the door they were in front of. It was a wooden door with three black cast iron bands holding the planks together, and a black cast iron handle.
“How did you get a Heartless, Your Majesty?”
“Well, last night, I traveled to a World I had a feeling was on Maleficent's list to destroy. I was right; Duplicates and Heartless were everywhere. I was able to capture a Shadow, which is the smallest, weakest form of Heartless. Don't worry Iona; I know you can do this. Are you ready?”
Iona sighed deeply and nodded. King Mickey returned the gesture, and then pulled his Keyblade and pointed it at the door. The door glowed white for a moment before Iona heard the sound of something unlocking.
“The room is surrounded with an unbreakable magic, but ya can't be too careful,” the King explained.
Iona nodded and turned to the door. She took a few steps forward and reached for the door handle. The metal was cold in her warm hand as she twisted it and pulled the door open. The room inside was dark, and Iona wasn't sure this was a very good idea. She turned to the King, who just nodded and motioned to her to keep going. She turned back to the dark room and took a few steps inside, closing the door behind her.