Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ letter ❯ letter ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Kindom Hearts I, II or CoM
 
Warnings: There goes Riku's head…
 
Author's Notes:
 
Fanartish stuff: http://sorakokiri.deviantart.com/art/Empty-Sugarbowl-68710526
 
 
 
Roses are red...
 
 
Riku had long ago decided he both hated and loved Valentines Day. He hated it because that was when he got what Tidus liked to call the `Wave'. The Wave happened when Riku opened his locker. Cards of all shapes and sizes would literally flow from it. Riku would usually just side-step them, wondering if his fangirls would ever realise he didn't care about them, or that he actually wanted them. They were, in his opinion, annoying and slightly sadistic. They liked to corner Kairi and Selphie and demand them to stop hanging out with him. Which was half the reason why both girls had started taking karate lessons? When they had flipped Wakka in the middle of the school yard the fangirls had backed off a little… but not much… they still stalked the group… Riku loved Valentines Day, though, because every year it would be there.
 
Riku sighed, and opened his locker, stepping back and letting the yearly flood begin. Sure enough, a mass of pink and red erupted forth from his locker, spilling out onto the lineal floor of the school. Cid, the janitor, who had been waiting for this, stepped forward, and started to sweep the cards away. Riku ignored him as he grabbed his books, and he turned to leave, his steps purposely slow. Cid gently stabbed his shoulder with the broom, though, and held out a silver and blue card that was slightly crumbled in the corner.
 
Riku blinked, and took the card from Cid's outstretched hand, muttering a quiet thanks. He raised a slim silver eyebrow as he opened the card and read what it said:
 
Stops signs are red,
The sky is blue,
You have a secret admirer,
Oh yes you do.
 
From your secret admirer,
XOXO
 
A tiny smile stretched out across Riku's lips as he re-read the card, knowing who had given it to him. Only Sora could make up a poem like that. Yes, Sora's little card was the only thing Riku liked about Valentines Day.
 
 
Violets are blue…
 
 
The next year Riku went off to university. He had hugged Sora to him, and smiling had said that he would miss his little best friend. Sora had nodded tearfully, and whimpered sadly.
 
“Yo, Ri. You got mail” Axel, his dorm mate informed him as he walked in through the dorm room's door, holding out a few letters. Riku took them from the redhead, and flipped right through to the letter sealed in the blue envelope. He ripped it open, and dragged the letter from the envelope viciously. He smoothed out the paper, and his eyes scanned the neat-yet-messy handwriting of his brunette best friend turn crush.
 
Dear Riku,
 
Hey! How are you doing? Great, I hope. Can't have you doing bad… anyways, I can't believe it! Selphie's pregnant! You remember Irvine? Yeah, apparently he's the father. He's trying really hard to look after Selph, though. He got a job at the local shooting range teaching people how to… well… shoot. Pop bang! They've bought the Thompson's old place, and we're all looking after them. They're getting married, too! I've put the invitation in the envelope too, so you can have a look at it. Please come?
 
Um… what else? Oh, yeah! I got accepted into the uni I wanted to go to! Isn't that great? Kairi's going there, too, so I won't be too lonely. And it's only a three hour drive to yours! So we can visit each other whenever we want… well, maybe not whenever… because that would mean I'd never get to my classes! But you get the general idea.
 
Mum says she can't wait until Christmas. Only two months away! I'm so excited. Do you think you can come and visit? I hope so. I really miss you. Honest to God, I can't wait until I see you again!
 
Anyways, Mr. Grace is being a meanie again, so I gotta go.
 
Miss ya like heck,
 
Sora
 
OOO
 
Riku smiled warmly at the letter, and pressed a soft kiss to the paper. He then stood up and walked over to his desk. He plucked up the cardboard shoebox that sat on top of it, and placed the letter inside it with Sora's countless other letters that he'd been sent.
 
 
Sugar is sweet…
 
 
The next year, the steady flow of letters turned to a slight trickle, causing Riku to start worrying horribly. He'd space out in class, causing Roxas to yell at him to do his damn work otherwise he and Axel would have sex in his bed, and Naminé to have to constantly remind him what they were doing in class. Axel would ask him what was wrong, but Riku would simply shake his head. Soon Riku realised he was losing Sora, so he decided that it was time.
 
He dialled Sora's phone number, waiting patiently for the younger boy to pick up. Soon Sora answered with a cheerful. “Hello?”
 
Riku smiled at Sora's enthusiastic tone, and murmured a quiet, “Hey”
 
“Riku? Is that you?! Oh my God! We haven't spoken for ages!”
 
“Sora. I love you” Riku had always been quick to get to the point.
 
Silence was his answer though, until Sora said sadly, “Riku… I loved you once… I really did… but now me and Kairi…”
 
Riku hung up.
 
 
And so are you…
 
 
 
The next morning Axel woke to a small note on Riku's bed asking him to hand in his finished assignments. Axel blinked, and did as Riku asked.
 
 
 
But…
 
 
 
Riku stood in front of Sora's door, sighing sadly, dressed in a black dress shirt and black slacks. He blinked when Sora opened the door, and the smaller brunette's eyes went wide.
 
Riku raised the silver gun to his temple and smiled weakly.
 
Sora jumped forward, and shouted, “No, Riku! Don't do it! I was—”
 
And Riku promptly blew his brains out.
 
 
The roses are wilted, the violets are dead, the sugar's bowl's empty and so's my head.