Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Sora1/2 ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sora1/2
By
Hoshika

Chapter 6

About an hour after having lunch Riku had began to feel sick. He told himself that it was nothing but his body strongly begged to differ. He sat quietly in his sixth period class barely paying attention as the teacher droned on while writing a series of facts on the blackboard most of which would never see the light of day on any of their tests.
Noticing Riku in the reflection of his wide brimmed glasses the teacher paused in his lesson momentarily. “Riku, if you aren’t feeling well go to the nurse’s office.” The man said sternly. The forty-two year old high school teacher had a phobia of getting sick and because of that was able to tell just by looking at someone if they were well or not.
“Yes, sir.” Riku said standing and quietly left the room has the instructor droned on.
By the time he got to the nurse’s office his stomach was doing flip flops. Entering the small room he found the nurse absent and decided to lay down in the bed until she came back. Pulling back the curtain he was surprised to find Sora already in it.
“Huh?” She said groggily sitting up. “Oh, hey Riku what are you doing here?”
“The teacher kicked me out the class.” He answered sitting down beside her. “What about you? Skipping class to take a nap,” he asked teasingly.
“Actually no, I’ve been feeling awful all day. Sorry about before.” Sora solemnly apologized.
“Don’t worry about it.” Riku responded having nearly forgotten about the upset he experienced earlier.
“I came here to get some medicine and decided to go home. The nurse said I could rest here until I was feeling better but I ended up falling asleep.” Sora yawned. “What about you? You don’t look so good.”
“Yeah, I think I’ll skip my last class and try and sleep it off before work.”
“Ah, so you’re finally awake.” The nurse said when she entered her office and saw Sora fully conscious. “You look rested but your friend here doesn’t look so well.” She said putting her hand against Riku’s forehead and sticking a thermometer in his mouth unexpectedly. Riku sweat dropped forcing himself to keep from gagging when the slender object was suddenly stuck in his mouth. “Hmm, a slight fever, just like the ones that came in here a couple hours ago.” The nurse said after taking the thermometer from his mouth.
“Do you want me to wait for you?” Sora asked.
“No it’s fine,” Riku answered even though he was a little worried about what the nurse might do to him next, his experience with Dr. Tofu still fresh in his mind.
“Okay, see you at home.” Sora said then left.
“You have a very pretty sister.” The nurse said as she placed some medicine in a small paper bag.
Riku laughed. “We’re not related.”
“Oh.” The nurse said a little surprised. Remembering what Sora had to Riku before she leaving the nurse dropped a few extra items in with the medicine. “Better safe than sorry,” She thought then closed it. Turning back to Riku she was going to say something but promptly handed him a bucket instead. “A couple dozen others came in here shortly after lunch with the same symptoms. It seems the melon bread one of the vendors was selling was bad.” She informed as Riku looked down at the bucket wondering why she had handed it to him the answer suddenly spewing forth as the contents of his stomach were suddenly spilled into it. “I’m too good.” The nurse thought patting herself on the back for saving the floor and perhaps Riku some serious embarrassment. “You’re pretty tough not getting sick until now.” She commended as she wrote a quick note. “I’ll take that,” she said removing the bucket from his hands. “You’re giving off an ‘I’m going to skip my last class’ vibe so here’s a note giving you permission to do so.”
“Thanks.” Riku said surprised by the nurse’s kindness toward him.
“Don’t mention it. I can hardly blame you, but don’t go getting any funny ideas about asking me for one whenever you feel like ditching, okay?” The nurse said winking. “The food poisoning should only be acute but if you start to feel ill again be sure to take a couple of these pills right away and go see a doctor as soon as possible.” She said handing him the small paper bag.
“Understood,” Riku said taking the medicine and sticking it in his bag.

Before leaving school grounds Riku washed his face in the restroom to wake himself up and hopefully rinse away the icky feeling he was experiencing before returning to the Tendou’s home. As it turned out a short nap had done wonders. He felt one-hundred percent better as if he had never gotten sick at all that day. Sora had shown up for work too but still feeling out of sorts she ended up dropping a lot of dishes in her first hour and was sent home with a major deduction in pay after being yelled at by the owner. Riku felt bad for her and was going to see how she was doing when he got home but saw a “Do Not Disturb” sign on Akane’s room door and despite hearing muffled sobbing coming from the other side he decided it would be best if he didn’t butt-in. Sitting in his room he had finished most of his homework and was struggling with his last assignment. Sighing he checked to see how much money he had on him and went to see Nabiki for tutoring.
“Come in.” Nabiki said hearing a knock on her door. “Well this is rare.” She said putting down the manga she was reading and sitting up in her bed.
“I need your help.” Riku said cutting to the chase.
“Whatever it is it isn’t going to be free or cheap.”
“I need help with the physics homework.”
“That’ll be 85 thousand yen per hour, but since you’re a friend I’ll give you a fifteen percent discount.” She said standing up suddenly seeming taller to Riku who didn’t have that kind of money on him.
“Are you nuts? That’s more than I make in a month!” Riku said nearly shouting.
“Take it or leave it.” Nabiki said flopping back down on her bed.
‘Forget it. I’ll just fail he said turning to leave then dropped his book bag everything he had in it spilling out of the open flap before it hit the floor.
Looking down at the various items that had fallen from his bag Nabiki noticed a small pouch the contents of which lay on the floor beneath it. At first glance the items appeared to be nothing more than toys, but soon realized they weren’t she picked up a tiny corked bottle that contained a green liquid that seemed to be faintly glowing. “What’s this?” She asked fascinated by the contents of the bottle.
“It’s nothing.” Riku said quickly taking it from her and placing it back in the pouch with the rest of the items that had fallen from it. “I completely forgot about this.” Riku thought accidentally picking up the bag of medicine the nurse had given him by the wrong end and dumping everything from it.
“Aren’t you the clumsy one this evening.” Nabiki said from her crouched position on the floor. “Oh? And what exactly were you planning on doing with these?” Nabaki asked picking up what had fallen out of the bag with the medicine, a blackmail scheme already brewing in her mind.
“Nothing I don’t even know what those they are.” Riku said putting his books away. “You can have them if you want.”
“Are you serious?”
“I wasn’t going to charge you for them.” Riku replied picking up the small packets of pills the nurse had given him for the food poisoning.
“That’s not what I meant.” Nabiki said dejectedly. “Guess you really don’t have a clue do you?” She said sighing then told him.
“I still don’t get it so keep them.” He said having collected all his things, except for what Nabiki was holding and stood up.
“And I thought Kuno was dumb.” Nabiki thought rubbing the sides of her head as she stood. “Okay this is the last bit of free information I’m giving you so listen carefully because I’m not going to repeat myself.”
“What,” Riku yelled after Nabiki had finished explaining.
Genma Saotome had somehow ended up getting splashed with cold water while taking a leisurely walk that evening. Too exhausted from his day of playing mahjongg with Soun and fighting with Ranma to be bothered with taking another bath that night he walked sleepily down the hall in panda form nearly jumping out of his skin when he heard Riku yelling as he went by Nabiki’s room. Not caring to get involved he continued on to the room he shared with his son and went to sleep.
Nabiki had taken a big step back sticking her fingers in her ears too late to protect them from Riku’s deafening shout. “You don’t have to yell.” Nabiki said obviously annoyed as she regained her composure.
“You talk like it’s no big deal.” Riku said in a much lower tone feeling dumber than dirt hoping she was lying so that he wouldn’t feel so bad or like his brain needed cleaning.
“I can’t believe you didn’t know. Where have you been under a rock or something? But, I guess I’d be just as shocked if I were just finding out what even ten year olds know.” She said excusing his overreaction. “Just in case no one ever bothered to tell you these little fact either the tooth fairy is a hoax, there is no such thing as an Easter Bunny, but you might be able to find Santa Clause in the malls around Christmas time.” Nabiki said smirking.
Groaning Riku left her room slamming the door behind him.

When Akane came home from school she found Sora lying in her bed. “I can’t believe you skipped again. Do you want to flunk?” She said sitting her book bag on her desk.
“Leave me alone.” Sora moaned.
“If you wanted to be left alone you wouldn’t be taking a nap in my bed.” Akane teased. “And have you forgotten whose room you’ve been sleeping in?”
“Yeah, you’re right.” Sora said getting up to leave.
“Hey wait I was only kidding.” Akane said in a rather chipper mood as she turned around facing Sora’s back.
“Is that so?” Sora said bringing a hand to her face for a moment.
“Yeah, Sora, are you okay?” Akane asked noticing the usually cheerful girl wasn’t herself.
“Yeah,” Sora said bringing her hand to face again in a wiping motion.
“Hm,” Akane uttered moving so that they were face to face. “No you’re not you’re crying!”
“So, what” Sora said wiping away more tears.
“What’s wrong?” Akane asked her tone softened.
“I don’t know I just feel sad for some reason.” Sora replied sniffling.
“This whole being a girl thing is really kicking your butt isn’t it,” She asked smiling.
“It’s not funny.” Sora said wiping away more tears.
“Well you are kind of being a wimp about it.”
“My back hurts, my stomach hurts, my chest hurts, my legs hurt, I have a headache and no matter how many pills I take the pain doesn’t go away. Maybe you can deal with this but I’m not used it so get off my back.” Sora sobbed furiously.
“That’s all you’re problem is? You really are a wimp.” Akane teased. “I’m kidding, I’m kidding.” She said giggling slightly when she saw the look Sora was giving her. “I’ve never had it that bad. Guess you just ended up getting the short end of the stick.”
“Sounds like you just got off easy.” Sora said returning to Akane’s bed and sobbing into her pillow.
“It’s nothing to cry about I’m sure Dr. Tofu can do something to help.” Akane said attempting to comfort her, but it only made the matter worse.
“No way am I letting that man near me.” She refused remembering what happened to Riku.
“As long as Kasumi isn’t around he’s a great doctor. Give him a chance.” Akane said gently placing her hand on Sora’s side, but even that caused her to wince in pain.
“Guess I have no choice then.” Sora said her face still buried in the pillow. “But it will have to wait until tomorrow.” She said sucking up her the remainder of her sobbing. “I have to go to work.” She said then stood up unsteadily but quickly gained her balance. “Calling me a wimp, I’ll show you.” Sora thought the joints of her body surging with pain.
“You don’t look so good.” Akane said unable to ignore Sora’s shaky stance.
“I’ll walk it off.” She said proudly exiting the room, but when in the hallway she leaned against the wall nearly collapsing from the pain. “Me and my big mouth,” Sora thought then forced herself back up and down the stairs to work her efforts only to be repaid by getting a warning screamed at her by her boss along a major deduction in pay for breaking so many dishes before being sent home. Extremely upset by what had happened Sora walked home in tears even though she had managed to hold herself together while the café owner screamed at her. Normally such a thing wouldn’t have bothered her so much and she would have just flipped the man off labeling him a jerk, but still highly emotional over what had occurred and just hyper sensitive that day period Sora ended up crying herself to sleep in Akane’s arms.

~ chapter 6 end ~