Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ The Dreaming Destiny ❯ Peace soon Shattered ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(A/N: opening notes by me, the author. Well, this is a continuation/ crossover/part romance Kaiora. If you have read one or two of my other works, you will recognize some or most of what is going on… or you will if you continue reading. And yes I'm aware neither of the stories that are continued here are finished. Also, note I am assuming they live in japan, even though it was never actually stated…)
 
Disclaimer: I do not Own Kingdom Hearts, its associated characters or worlds. Corben and Franky and and Isaiah are original characters, however.
 
Corben looked at the spiky haired blue eyed highschooler in front of him. Two chairs over and 2 back from him, was the blue hair. The red head was at the back of the room. Corben would glance about occasionally, then sit back to not take notes on Pre calc. he hated pre calc. if only they taught stats. He was good at stats. He reflected on the occurance, some 3 hours ago, when he had been introduced to the class.
 
“Class, we have a new student today. This is Corben Cypher.” I bowed to the class, which got more than a few giggles. He grinned himself. “Now now class, be nice. Corben is a transfer student from…” and so it went. The teacher put me right behind Mr. Spiky hair blue eyes.
 
Lunch, and I sit alone, just outside the classroom window, and stare out at the Island just off the coast. I can see some of the students below me, and I can hear 6 voices from the roof.
 
“Hey wakka, wanna go to the Island today?”
 
“Sure man. Haven't been in a while, be good for us. You coming Sora? Riku?”
 
“Yes Kairi, you have to come, you can't leave me there with these… Boys.” Laughs all around.
 
3 voices spoke at once. “We'll be there.”
 
Next to me, legs hanging off the edge, watching the sun, is my friend Franky. She, yes she, was also a transfer student, and she had gotten quite a few looks from Sora, Riku, and Kairi upon her introduction. Seemed like she felt familiar. And now, it's just lunch, we've been here but a few hours, and the rumors are already going she's my girlfriend. I wanted really badly to squash those rumors, but this being day 1, had no clue how to go about doing it. We were, after all, just good friends. Both of us had our own, separate, interests somewhere out there, though neither of us knew where they were. But that isn't the story yet.
 
“So, what's the plan.”
 
“Finish High School?”
 
“Funny.”
 
“Well that IS the plan, just not the only plan.”
 
“Ok, try a different plan.”
 
“Wait at the beach.” I take a sip of my juice, then down it in one go.
 
“Wait at the Beach? Your idol is sitting 1 story above us, all 3 of them, and you, the elevated fanboy as you put it, can only think of, `Wait at the beach.'”
 
“Yes. So?” I looked at her pointedly. She shrugs. “Fine by me.”
 
After school, Franky stays to study, she not having already taken Pre Calc… and me having more or less completed it… not finishing high school and then going back really makes for an interesting experience, while I head for the beach. Dressed in white slacks, light and comfortable even on this warm sunny day, I stare out to see, while my green shirt flutters in the breeze. I take out my favorite “toy” and toss the ornamented metal tube up and down, watching it twirl in the air and then catching it. I sat down on the sand.
 
*
 
Sora walked back to his house from school, thinking. The new transfer student had looked so tantalizingly familiar, but he was completely unable to place it. As for the guy, he'd paid an unusual amount of attention to him(Sora) and to Kairi and Riku. Today, something had decided not to sit well it seemed. He dropped off his bags and changed quickly, where a pair of blue baggy shorts and a white tee, with a sleeveless jacket of red over it. And of course his favorite crown necklace, which school did not permit him to wear. Something about gang signs or symbols.
 
As he rushed towards the docks he ran into Kairi. He slowed down and matched her pace. She didn't run as fast as he did. “hi,” he said cheerfully, smiling at her.
 
She smiled back. “Hey. I'm excited, I haven't been to the island in what feels like forever.”
 
“I know. Glad Wakka wanted to go.”
 
“Oh come on, we'd have ended up going somehow. Your or Riku would have dragged us there.”
 
“Yeah, which is why I'm glad Wakka wanted to go, this way, I'm not dragging anybody.”
 
“not dragging anybody huh?” she replied with a smirk. She grabbed the back of his shirt, and said, “now drag me to the Docks.”
 
Sora took a couple steps, then pretended to collapse. “oh, Kairi, you're just too heavy.”
 
He felt a sudden teasing jab to his back and a release on his shirt. “Never call a girl heavy.”
 
“Sure thing. Now could you lay off the ice cream some?”
 
“Oh you!” which resulted in her chasing him all the way to the docks, laughing happily the whole way as she threatened to strangle him. Riku, who had found both and chosen not to interfere, followed at a more leisurely pace.
 
*
 
I was interrupted in my musings by a voice behind me. “Hi. Your that new guy, right? Corben?”
 
I turned to look back and found myself looking into the face of Tidus.
 
“Yep, that's me.”
 
“What are you doing here?”
 
“Staring out to sea. But mostly at that island.”
 
“Destiny Island? Yeah, she is beautiful to look at. Say, want to go?”
 
I looked at him hard. “Seriously??”
 
“Sure, we're cool, you'll love it. Come on. And if she can get here in time, your girlfriend can come too.”
 
At that, I grinned. “She's not my girlfriend. But I'll call Franky.”
 
“Isn't that a guy's name?”
 
“Either way, don't mention it to her.” Ah, how many times have I had to say that about one of the women in my life. Cause for a… ah, but I'm getting off track. Where was i?
 
“Hey, dude, you still there?”
 
“Hmmm? Oh, sorry, got distracted.” I pulled out my phone and gave Franky a call. “She'll be here in about 2 minutes.”
 
Tidus eyed me. “Right. Nobody is that fast.”
 
“I know lots of people…”
 
“Say, what's that thing you have their?” he pointed at the object in my hand, my “toy.”
 
“Something special to me. I like to carry it around.” I clipped it to my belt. Walking to the dock, I hear shouting. Turning I saw 3 blurs about to collide.
 
*
 
Sora saw the docks come into sight, and put on a sudden burst of speed. He was just about there, Kairi in hot pursuit, when he collided with someone and fell atop them in a heap. Kairi crashed over them, creating a pileup.
 
All three lay there for a few seconds, then a voice he felt he should recognize spoke. “Um, are you gonna get off me?” He felt a wait leave his back and he struggled upright. Before he could move again, Kairi was already helping the girl up.
 
“sorry about that,” Kairi smiled.
 
“No biggy, I should have been paying more attention.”
 
“So, hey, you're…”
 
“The transfer student,” Franky finished for her. “Call me Franky. Everybody else does. Speaking of everybody else,” she turned towards the docks and shouted. “So Corben, my time?”
 
“Currently standing at 3m 32s and counting.”
 
With a “Hmph” she turned her back to him.
 
A shout came back, “But if you hadn't been interrupted, 1m 49s is the estimate.”
 
Once they reached the docks, both Sora and Kairi were slightly confused by the presence of Corben and Franky. Tidus quickly explained, and then, as Riku arrived, more formal introductions were made all around. “I mean, everybody needs to experience the Island. Don't you think so?”
 
“I think so,” replied Riku.
 
“I guess,” was Sora's.
 
“Sure, now let's get going. You can borrow my boat and I'll ride with Sora. That is, if you know how to row.” Kairi looked inquisitively at the two.
 
“If you don't, I'm not taking you,” stated Wakka with a mischievous grin, accompanied by a laughing agreement from Tidus.
 
“I can row, and I can probably beat all of you to the island too.”
 
“OHHHHHHH we have a challenge. Alright, Ready, set, Babies are cute, The waves are calm, the day is young, GO!” Wakka dashed to his boat, while Tidus and Selphie went for theirs. Riku was already in his boat, while Sora was helping Kairi into his. Corben and Franky both slipped into the boat.
 
*
 
“Well, get rowing Mr. Bragger.”
 
“Yeah yeah yeah, I'm rowing.” I quickly reached the group, but found myself in third, behind both Wakka and Riku. Sora and Kairi were behind Tidus, who was just inches from being ahead of me, while Selphie was in last. I slowed up to a more measured pace, causing me to be passed by all but Selphie, who had already adopted a similar pace. The end result was that I came in second, behind Riku, while Sora and Kairi arrived last. All of those ahead of me save Riku had worn themselves out on a too fast pace at the start. I don't know if Sora really tried.
 
“That was some Fast rowing, mon. and with a passenger.”
 
“Nah, Franky's as light as a feather, didn't really make a difference.”
 
“Man, I wish Selphie was light as a feather sometimes, then I could just breath and she'd be blown away,” Tidus joked until he felt the crack of a rope directly above his head.
 
“Watch it mister. Keep that up and I might not tuck you in tonight.” She stood, hands on hips, glaring at him and smiling at the same time.
 
“You never tuck me in at night,” Tidus countered, grinning.
 
“So?”
 
“Ok, ok, you win.”
 
I laughed with the others, and quickly fell to exploring the island, to see how much of it matched what I saw in my mind, and memories. It seemed a perfect match.
 
“Hey Corben, how are you with a blade?” I heard a shout from below. Sora, Tidus, and Riku had all found their old swords, while Wakka of course had his ball. “Care to go a few?”
 
“Sure!” I said, and hopped down from the tree house. Franky sat down to watch with Kairi and Selphie. They fell to talking and giggling, and didn't pay much attention. Franky never had much time to just be a normal girl, not for a long time, or so it felt.
 
As I took the sword Sora offered me (he was the “champion and thus last to fight me) I examined it, twirled it around, made a few practice slashes with it, and then reversed it in my right hand. “Alright, let's go.” I made a horizontal slash to start, then spun out of range of Tidus's next swing, followed by a sliding jab that switched to a block. I counterattacked from the block of unleashed a rapid Combo that ended in another jab, this one connecting, for the win.
 
“Dude, where'd you learn to fight like that?”
 
“A combination of watching lots of movies, playing lots of video games, lots of practice and self instruction, and then my teacher…” then I started laughing.
 
“Um, right,” Tidus looked ever so slightly confused, then started laughing about a second or two after I did.
 
*
 
Sora looked on as Corben took up stance and prepared to face Riku. It was obvious Corben was pretty decent, but Sora knew Riku was better. It was Riku afterall. He was extremely shocked to find himself mistaken, though barely, it seemed.
 
This round was no easy victory, Corben got as good as he gave, but the reverse hold style unbalanced Riku's rhythm, and he just wasn't quite sure what to expect, which gave Corben that slight advantage he needed to come out on top.
 
The fight itself was interesting for one key thing, and that was that Corben never tried to knock Riku off his feet, almost as though he knew what Riku always did when that happened. Thus Riku never had to opportunity to do is jump back to his feet and stun Corben. Corben didn't use any kind of power attacks, but instead made lightning fast strikes after he blocked or feinted. Riku caught on quickly, but adjusting for a blade that came in different from the typical style himself, Sora, and Tidus used was just slightly too much to adopt mid battle.
 
As Sora took his stance, he thought, he's good, I've got to watch that pommel smash…, and that spinning strike finisher.
 
“go Sora, get him good!” cheered Kairi. This was quickly taken up by cheers from the others, even Riku. Sora smiled to himself and felt his confidence grow.
 
“Hey, where's my cheering section?” Corben inquired loudly.
 
Franky called back, “Since when have you needed a cheering section?”
 
“since Sora got one.”
 
“Well go find somebody else.” She smiled and all 3 girls fell to laughing again.
 
“Alright, shall we?” Corben asked.
 
Sore grinned. “Of course, let me show you why I'm the champion,” and made a fast strike, which Corben barely blocked. Sora followed up by a combo of slashes, the last two blows got through. He tried to follow with another combo, but corben jumped back and gained some distance, before adopting a slightly different stance, and then charged in, baiting Sora to strike. He did, which allowed Corben to make a powerful counter, which he followed with a pommel smash. Sora saw it coming and dodged.
 
The fight continued in like manner for several more minutes, finally ending as both of them keeled over, exhausted, though Corben fell first by about 1 second.
 
While Kairi ran to Sora, who smiled to himself, thinking, “I won,” Franky walked to Corben, who was using his sword for leverage while he tried first to stand, then to roll over onto his back when standing proved impossible.
 
“Good Fight,” Sora said aloud, before thinking to himself, “I've fought across all those worlds, and beat thousands of heartless, and even if I didn't have my keyblade, still me barely beating me… who is this guy?”
 
He felt something digging into his side, and pulled out the small blue crystal, holding it up to admire it in the sunlight, Kairi now sitting next to him. For the briefest of moments, their silhouette was not that of Sora and Kairi, but of two other people, who, all the same, seemed so alike and so different to the two, but no one saw.
 
*
 
Franky crouched down next to me for a second, then took a seat and lied back parallel to me. “Not bad. Satisfied?”
 
“Mostly. You should get them to show you the obstacle course.”
 
“I'm not a show off?”
 
“who was showing off?”
 
“you.” I smiled.
 
“So I was. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have a go at the course.”
 
“I suppose. What about the cave.”
 
“Ise no Gatra mel,” was my reply. Franky laughed lightly.
(A/N: This is complete gibberish. On occasion, Corben will make such statements, but they are not intended to mean anything in particular, though sometimes actual words or phrases from other languages may appear, they still are not intended to mean anything. At all.)
 
After having rested for a bit, I was bugged and congratulated by Tidus, Wakka, and Sora himself. Kairi did not smile at me. Riku just looked thoughtful. I stood and stretched. “I'm out of practice… WAY out of practice.” I added as I fell back over
 
“So, you two, care to tell us a little bit more about yourself? We can sit over at the lookout and talk.” Tidus led the way, while Wakka gave me a hand up. Franky started walking without me, which left me to ask Wakka a few things.
 
(A/N: ok, you know that wooden platform on the left side looking out to sea? Past the docks? That's what I mean by lookout… and also, the upcoming covers my explanation of how Sora explains what he Riku, and Kairi were all doing when they first went on their adventures. Though how Sora manages to get into Senior by missing what, 3 years of school? Is beyond me too, so go with it)
 
“That's a blitz ball right?”
 
“Aye, I prefer ranged strikes. You'd never have stood a chance.”
 
“Probably not, fighting against somebody who can hit at any range was never my strong suit.”
 
“Well, I'm not entirely surprised you lost to Sora, since he got back from living with relatives he's been even better than normal, him and Riku both.”
 
“he lived with relatives for a while?”
 
“something about wanting to experience more of the world beyond are little shore town. Riku went with him, and Kairi left later on. Right about the time everybody suddenly started… but it's all cool now. We here man.” I looked up. We were indeed there. Once everyone had seats, I began.
 
*
 
Sora looked at Corben as he started talking, mostly just talking about how he loved to play video games, he read lots of manga, and sharing his interests and hobbies. Apparently, he liked to write stories too. Franky was of a more athletic nature, track, cross country, basketball.
 
As the 8 of them travelled down the line of discussion, the obstacle course came up.
 
“We'd have to do it tomorrow, it's almost time to head back. And besides, tomorrow is Friday. We could camp out or something.”
 
“We haven't done that in years. Let's do it.”
 
“you two can come. But, that leaves me and Wakka as the odd men out…” Riku commented to Corben and Franky. They looked at each other and laughed.
 
“Actually, that would leave you…, Wakka, Corben, and Myself as … the odd ones out… which more or less balances out.” Franky explained between fits of laughing.
 
“Oh,” was the only response Riku could give, which left himself and Sora the only two not laughing. Sora wasn't sure exactly why it was only he and Riku hadn't been informed, or figured out, the truth of the relationship between the two of them, but somewhere during the day he'd missed the memo. That didn't make him happy, though Riku was soon chuckling despite himself.
 
Kairi started ribbing Sora, trying to get him to laugh, and saying, “I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I didn't think you wouldn't guess.”
 
“I'm not a girl Kairi, I can't figure this stuff out on my own.”
 
“Yeah, well I'm no girl, man, but I never thought they was togetha to start.”
 
“Finally, intelligence among men,” laughed Franky, grinning. “I'd almost swear you were Italian.”
 
“And why would I be Italian?” asked Wakka.
 
“Because everybody knows only Italians are smart,” she joked.
 
*
 
Franky was of course, pure blooded Italian. Thankfully, everybody got the joke, or something to that effect.
 
We soon headed back, and I thanked everyone for inviting us. I knocked fists with Franky and headed back to where I was staying, not noticing the watcher in the shadows.
 
At school the next day, I worked my way through classes, turned down an invitation to sit with Sora and the others, given by Selphie this time, and sat in the same place as yesterday, next to Franky. So sue us, we liked the spot, and we wanted some slightly private discussion time.
 
After school the others met Franky at the docks, but I stayed behind to meet with the head of the kendo club. Neither Sora nor Riku nor Tidus had joined, but I didn't see why that should stop me. The plan was for me to meet them again for a practice match or 3 on Monday after school, at their regular meeting. I didn't know that I would actually be good at Kendo… I mean, I don't exactly fight in a traditional style and I also don't like being weighed down. I'd always relied on a combination of speed and, well... I hated armor regardless.
 
I arrived at the docks, and the others had gone ahead of me. I'd ask Franky to tell them not to wait. But they'd left me a boat. I rowed quickly in, only to be found by everyone just as they were about to head for the obstacle course. Apparently, they were still revved up for a challenge from the day before, and had gotten tired of waiting for me.
 
“so, you gonna show us all up again Corben?” Tidus asked, half serious.
 
“Not in the slightest. This one goes to Franky, hands down. I'm quite positive she'll fly through it.”
 
I love being right.
 
Franky lined up against Riku, and prepared to dash. Her sandals were off, thus she was barefoot. The rules had already been explained to her.
 
“I'm not taking it easy on you,” Riku calmly told her.
 
She grinned. “Good, then maybe you can finish in a decent margin.”
 
“3. 2. 1. GO!” Kairi shouted, and off they went. Franky bolted to the lead and shot over the bridge and across the gap, not breaking stride even as she crossed empty air. Her foot touched the other side and she was still going perfectly, leaving Riku to deal with the one piece falling off and dropping him in the drink. He scrambled over the hedge, expecting to find Franky halfway up the tower or some such.
 
*
 
Sora could scarcely take his eyes of the spectacle as Franky lep up in one bound to lvl with the tree tops, and then shot across them in very short order, reaching the star in next to no time. Riku was on the beach, but he already had no chance of catching her.
 
“Is this real, or are we dreaming and we don't know it?” He asked aloud. Then, “Ow!” he turned to his left, and Kairi.
 
“Guess it's real,” she stated, and resumed watching as Franky got back across the trees.
 
Sora gave Riku a pat on the back when he finally got back, panting and half kneeling. His eyes did not leave Franky. “Wow. Just wow.”
 
“That was Incredible Franky! How did you get so fast?”
 
“Practice, lots of it. And probably a measure of talent thrown in somewhere.” The girls, giggling, fell to talking amongst themselves for several minutes, while the boys grouped around me.
 
“Dude, I know you aren't, but still, where did you find this girl?” Tidus's mouth was still slightly agape after he finished speaking, so Wakka shut it for him.
 
“Trade secret.”
 
“No way are we taking that for an answer, now spill. Or at least tell us if there are more like her.”
 
“Yah man, spill.”
 
“After school activities back home. I'm sure if you travelled around enough, you'd find one… but there's probably one right under your nose…”
 
“oh? Who?” aksed Riku and Wakka at the same time.
 
“I didn't say I knew who it was…”
 
“Then is she taken man?
 
Sora listened to the banter for a little bit, until as he glanced over at Franky, he noticed something he'd failed to note before. She had tattoos of wings on the outside of each foot, over the ankle. Now where had he seen those before…
 
*
 
Soon after, it was time to prepare the camp fire. As I dragged a log towards the fire, I caught Kairi looking at me distrustfully. She must have figured something out. After all, considering just who we faced, what Franky and I had achieved was far more remarkable that the other 3 thought.
 
“So, have you lot ever had S'mores?” I asked as I pulled out the grahams and the marshmallows and the chocolate.
 
“Course I have,” replied Riku, but that was followed by head shaking by the others.
 
“I don't know how you got through life without them…” and proceeded to demonstrate along with Riku and Franky, how to cook a s'more. Soon, everyone was enjoying one, and then two. Stories were shared round the fire. Notes were taken and compared on favorite anime and manga. Who knew Sora liked Shaman King?
 
Soon, the ghost stories started. And the girls screamed, and the boys laughed, and then they cried while Franky laughed (yes, she can be that scary, I think that's what made him fall for her…)
 
As the fire died to embers and all of us laid down to sleep, I slipped on my ear phones and switched on my favorite song.
 
I used to Rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own
 
*
 
“Sora?”
 
“yeah Kairi?” Sora lay back, next to, what was to him, the single most precious thing in existence, and turned his face to look at her.
 
“I'm glad you're back, it was always so lonely waiting for you, so horribly painful…” A tear, unbidden and unnoticed, came to her eye.
 
Sora reached over and wiped it away for her. “Kairi, what's brought this on?”
 
“Well, its just, Sora, make me a promise.”
 
“A promise?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Never leave me all alone here again. If you have to leave, I want to come with you.”
 
“Kairi… I swear. I'll never leave you again, no matter what happens.” He moved towards her, and kissed her forehead. More tears sprang to her eyes, this time, happy ones. She's so beautiful, even when she cries. Sora meant every word with every piece of his heart.
 
If anyone had at that moment been looking, they would have seen Roxas, and Namine, not Sora and Kairi, or perhaps they could have perceived both.
 
*
 
That next day, the plan was for beach volleyball later that day, but everyone wanted the mornings to themselves.
 
Franky was attempting to avoid Wakka, while Riku wanted a rematch, which left me on my own… thusly I found myself staring at the Cave entrance as I sat by the pool, and alternately watched the patterns of the waterfall. Suddenly…
 
“What has you so interested with the Secret place?” I looked up and behind me to find a sweating Riku. It was clear he'd just got his rematch.
 
“You didn't win, did you?”
 
“That girl almost flies literally. She's tending to Wakka right now… They had a practice match… one kick to that ball sent it flying into his head for an instant knockout… now answer the question new guy.”
 
“What IS the secret place, what is back there? It seemed, well, like something I'm not supposed to look into without permission first…”
 
“Smart thinking… but come on, I'll take you back there. You can see how I ended up the third wheel with those two…”
 
“Um, ok.”
 
He led me to it and into the tunnel. As we emerged into the Chamber, I was overawed by the sight of it. It was covered in drawings, rocks, and roots. Chalk drawings, rock etchings, and in a way, it was spectacularly beautiful.
 
“I love her too you know. I used to think I loved her more. But it was him. It was always him. It was never me. Even when I was the one who sought her out, the one who found her first… it was still him.”
 
I looked at him, surprised by this outpouring. Why to me?
 
“You can see it, can't you. The door?” he pointed, and there it was. The door that had neither lock or handle, that simply didn't open, except that it had been opened, and that had spelled disaster.
 
“He is the one who will open the door…”
 
“What?”
 
“Yes, I can see it. I see it, but I don't know what it is. Is it the door to darkness, the door to light? To what worlds does it lead, and why is it here? And why was it that he who sought the ultimate power could open that door…”
 
“Who are you?”
 
“you don't know? My name is Corben Cypher. I'm a Walker.”
 
He eyed me, staring at me intently. “How much do you know?”
 
“Not quite everything, but I know far more than you, I think, and yet, far less. I know who Ansem is, and the King, I know of the keyblades and the World of darkness, the world that never was, the door to light, the world inbetween, of Nobodies, and somebodies, and those without hearts, and those born of dreams. I know OF them, yet do not know them.”
 
Riku backed away slowly, tensed for action. “Now I have more questions, and still no answer. Who ARE you?”
 
“Someone who does not belong where he has been found, has no home to return to, and is doubtless shall not belong where he is bound. I am a Walker, I wander, helping where I may, trying to discover what my purpose might be now. I'm also an avid fan… but that is a story too complex to explain now. Franky knows all about this, and she is as I am, a Walker… please, tell no one. Now I have one question. How did you know?”
 
“You fight too well to be just anybody normal, and Franky's abilities are inhuman.”
 
“Correction. They are Beyond Human, and for that very reason, we do not belong where we are from…”
 
He was no longer as wary as before, no longer tense, and so I myself relaxed. “why are you here?”
 
“Because here is where we found ourselves. Franky and I share a bond with a certain someone, who is of this world, as much as one of his kind can be, or of another version of this world. We don't know which.”
 
“What is his name?”
 
“I can't remember.”
 
“What!?”
 
“Try as I might, that name will not come to mind. Franky cannot either, and it tears her apart inside as you cannot understand. The bond between those two was stronger by far than between him and me.” I began to cry my own tears as I tried so hard to recall that which I could not.
 
I took one last look around, my gaze lingering on the picture nearest to that door, of two stars, gifted one to each other, by two star-crossed young love birds, in whose hands sat the destiny of a thousand worlds or more.
 
I left, and Riku followed. When we emerged, Franky was just walking back around to the front with Wakka. “Riku, please, if you've decided you'll trust me, don't tell anyone. If we have to, we'd love to stay here, where life is blessed and beautiful… I've had enough of wanderings and wars.” I walked down to the beach, where the net was being set up by Kairi, Sora, Selphie, and Tidus. “Where have you been you 4?”
 
“Making sure I didn't crack his head open,” was Franky's reply
 
“Talking,” was Riku's answer.
 
Quickly they divided into what must have been preestablished teams. This, of course, left Franky and myself on the side lines. So Riku said, “We've got Corben. That ok with you two?”
 
“Sure…”
 
“Yeah, cause then we get Franky man,” stated Wakka, even though the question wasn't to him. She smiled and joined Wakka at the front of the net. I took a rear position with Kairi. We lost. Riku was a great front man, and Kairi was great in back, but the other team had 3 really good players, plus an enthusiastic Tidus.
 
*
 
Sora was just sitting down, when suddenly Kairi gasped. He looked over, and saw her looking up. “what is it Kairi?”
 
She pointed skyward, and finally, he too looked that way. A star was falling, coming straight for him. But this was not just any star, it was a person, falling to the sea, much as he had done before. Suddenly a second gasp came from behind him. Then Corben's voice.
 
“No no no no no no! no… Take nal sangra!” he exclaimed, which sounded very much like some kind of swear.
 
“What?”
 
“It's Isaiah.” Franky gasped and looked right at him.
 
“But isn't he…”
 
“Exactly.”
 
Franky was about to dash off, but Corben was already moving. “I've got him!”
 
Sora stood frozen to the spot as Corben ran towards the water. Sora expected him to dive in or some such, but his mouth fell open in amazement when Corben seemingly ran atop the water, and at great speed, all without disturbing the water itself.
 
“Isaiah” hit the water just as Corben reached the spot. Corben dived in a brought him to the surface, and hauled him… atop the water? What where they laying on? The only thing obvious was that they weren't floating. Reggie appeared extremely dark and shadowy at that distance, but was soon discernable as hacking and coughing. He must have swallowed some water.
 
As Corben assisted him back to shore, Franky ran towards them, and lent her shoulder as they trudged up to where everyone, including Sora, was going down to meet them.
 
Isaiah was really really dark skinned. Almost black. He was obviously African. He stood bout 5'9”-5'10” which was more or less the same height as Corben, thin and well muscled, but not stocky. His black hair was very short, and his brown eyes were deep wells that possessed a hidden madness and a store of memories the likes of which no other being in the universe would likely every experience the like of. Sora took a step back as his mind reeled from this revelation, this, sudden understanding.
 
He realized he had seen eyes of that kind before. Once, when he looked in a mirror, when he looked at Riku, and when he looked at Corben. The eyes of those that had seen and experienced great lvls of destruction.
Isaiah smiled weakly, and then spoke, saying, “Hi, nice to meet…” and promptly fainted. This completely and utterly freaked Corben out. It had much the same effect on Franky. Sora was quite sure he had never in his life seen two more frightened looking people. It was as though the very foundation of their entire reality had been completely and utterly shattered beyond any hope of repair.
 
They laid Isaiah on some blankets and Corben sat down and pulled out some shirts and started making rags. Franky came back with water and Corben started bathing Isaiah's brow with it.
 
“Um, is he alright?”
 
“no, and because it's Isaiah, that makes it about 1 trillion times the problem it would be otherwise…” Sora blinked, and Tidus looked about to ask another question. Selphie had other plans, however.
 
“Alright everyone, something is seriously wrong here, we need to get to work. We need clean fresh water, blankets, hot water, more rags, and we have to get him dry and make sure he doesn't catch hypothermia. And somebody needs to go for a Doctor.”
 
“No Doctor. There are only two people in the worlds that can treat him, and he shouldn't even NEED treatment. And bringing a Doctor invites questions we can neither answer nor afford to have raised.” Franky's statement was met by shock, but she backed it up by going to the docks, and standing there. “Anybody goes for a Doctor, I hurt you.”
 
“Look, just, we're trying to help…” Sora started.
 
“we know, but you can't except to do everything Selphie already told you to do except the doctor.” Corben continued to bath Isaiah's brow as Kairi came running back with more blankets and towels to dry him off. She was the only one who had been able to act immediately. Selphie was gathering more water.
 
“What are you boys just standing around for? Get to work.”
 
Franky, assured nobody was going to go for the doctor just yet, walked back over to Selphie. “here, I'll heat it.”
 
“Um, ok.”
 
Franky proceeded to kick off her shoes, and then set the bucket at her feet. A sudden flash, and the water was steaming, an inch of it gone. She picked it up and carried it to Isaiah. “Don't touch the pail, you'll get burned.”
 
“Right.”
Once Isaiah had been dried off, and Franky had convinced Corben to take a break, he sat by the fire Franky had started, expecting a torrent of questions. He got one. One question that required a million answers.
 
“ Why didn't you let us go for a Doctor.”
 
*
 
I sighed, then spoke. “I'm going to tell you story. I swear every word of it is true. Isaiah, Isaiah has the ability to reject death and injury. You can slice off his head, I've seen it happen, and he'll put it back on, and it is good as new. Well, more correctly, it is exactly as it was before it got sliced off. It is automatic, he has no control of the process. Thus, technically speaking, it is impossible to do anything to him that can cause any kind of long lasting harm or condition. What the hell can a doctor do for someone capable of that? You need a healing, someone who can fix almost anything, who heals with magic, or the power inside them, or however you prefer to term it.”
 
“Enough joking around man, tell us what's going on. There be no way someone like that can exist.”
 
“Let me ask you something. How many times have you seen someone fall from the sky like a comet and survive, or just fall like a comet period. And I mean you three specifically,” here indicating Wakka, Tidus, and Selphie. I waited for response.
 
Finally, Selphie spoke. “Well, never before today.”
 
“How many times have you seen someone start a fire, or heat water, with what amounts to a thought or a flick or their finger or their foot?”
 
No response this time.
 
“how many times have you seen someone run atop the water without touching or disturbing it, then stand, walk, or lay atop it without floating or sinking, or falling in?”
 
Still, nothing.
 
“these things, they may not seem quite so impossible as what I say about Isaiah, but can you deny they happened?” I looked up, gazing into each of their eyes in turn, until one by one they looked away.
 
Finally, “We can't deny it, but that doesn't mean…”
 
“Doesn't mean what Tidus? I believe him, and… I think it's time we explained a few things ourselves.” Riku stood up and walked over to stand beside me.
 
“Riku!?” exclaimed Sora and Kairi, at the same time.
 
“No more lies, they're our friends, we… we should trust them. Right Sora?”
 
“Our friends… our friends. Kairi, let's tell them.” He gazed into her eyes, reassuring her, and clasped her hand.
 
“Right.”
 
I laughed to myself. “On three gentlemen? I think you'd do best to begin with a demonstration.”
 
“sounds about right. Ready Sora?” he looked at Sora, who nodded, still slightly apprehensive.
 
“on 3. 1, 2…”
 
“Hey, what are you…?” began Tidus, but he never finished.
 
“3,” and both summoned their Keyblades. Tidus, Wakka and Selphie jumped backwards.
 
“What the…”
 
“This is a Keyblade. It has the power to destroy the worlds, and to save them. Do you remember that time when everyone suddenly remembered me, and couldn't figure out why it felt like they'd forgotten?”
 
The 3 nodded.
 
“I was off adventuring in other worlds. It all started though, the night of the Storm, when Riku, Kairi, and myself had just finished our raft.”
 
We settled in for a long story made confusingly short… and I got up to go talk to Franky and check on Isaiah.
 
*
 
Sora lay back, finally finished attempting to explain to his 3 friends all the things they'd missed out on. Suddenly, he started laughing. Kairi, sitting down next to him, asked, “What's so funny?”
 
“I just realized Corben basically ditched his own explanation… by somehow convincing Riku to make us explain what we had been up to.”
 
“I don't trust him.” Sora stopped laughing. He took her hand and looked at her hard.
 
“Why not?”
 
“he's manipulated us, you just said so yourself. He, he seems to know too much. And, well, He's good enough to beat Riku! He almost beat you! And Franky… I don't want to distrust her… but she must know just as much as he does… and then all this! He has some kind of ability, so does she… and, it feels so familiar. All… wrong… like somebody who was our enemy. And yet, it feels like i'm sorry for her, like something horrible happened… something she didn't deserve.”
 
“I know what you mean, actually. Kairi, I don't know what's going on either, but I know this. Riku trusts Corben. I don't know what it is, but Corben isn't holding anything over Riku, if anything, Riku's got something on Corben… he IS Riku after all. But Riku trusts him, so will too… please, let's hear him out in the morning.”
 
“alright Sora. Sora, hold me closer.” Sora smiled comfortingly as they held each other, her head on his shoulder, and slipped into dreams.
 
Mean while, Riku was sitting at the fire, alternately poking it with a stick, and looking at Wakka, who was still absorbing what he'd been told, determined not to go to sleep till he figured it out, because sure he'd be up all night agonizing anyways. Tidus and Selphie had retired to somewhere more secluded, leaving it to the imagination just what they were doing.
 
That was a lot to take in, man… all those adventures and all this craziness… it's a lot to take in. but I gotta, I gotta. They're friends, have been for a long time. I'm sure they must have thought it was all done with, hoping, mostly it was all in de past, but seems universe got other plans.
 
“Wakka?”
 
“Hmmm? Yeah man?”
 
“I know it sounds utterly ridiculous, but that really is what happened. Kairi is a Princess, and Sora is the master of the Keyblade of Light, and I'm the guy stuck inbetween light and dark.”
 
“ya know… I believe it too. More cause it be you three than cause of what we seen today. Well, that, and because you actually showed us the keyblades.”
 
“Good to know. Now get some sleep. I've a feeling Corben will have one hell of a story for us tomorrow.”
*
 
Hell will only begin to truly describe my story, which cannot be fully recounted within these pages. It is hundreds of pages unto itself. It is called Alternately Call of Destiny, Destiny's Call, or Calling Destiny. It can be found elsewhere.
 
(A/N: Destiny's call can be found at mediaminer.org, for those reading this on fanfiction.net my penname there is Leo Half Bauncho. Another of my stories, a true fanfic, ties almost directly into this story, and can also be found there. I'm sure you can guess which one. Neither is complete)
 
“I have the ability to call upon what I call fields. However, they are more or less like way of changing the very laws and foundations of nature to a certain extent. I can place one anywhere, and where it is placed, only I can see it unaided. Where it is placed, it becomes as the Law of Heaven that NOTHING may pass through that place save light and air and time. All things transferred directly through air, such as heat and sound, will also pass through, though the heat is greatly diminished. The field is placed with some object as a reference, so that it always occupies the same location relative to the object. However, this means that if the field should be forced to pass through something more immovable than its reference, the reference will become unable itself to move. For instance, a field may pass through the sun, but not through another world. Should that happen, both worlds would grind to a halt.”
 
“My ability is reminiscent of the Greek God Hermes, the Messenger, for my feet… are Winged.” White wings burst from Franky's feet, and turned the sand to glass where they touched. “But they are not just wings, they are flaming wings, burning white and perfectly controlled. I can slice through steel with extreme ease. I am immune to flame and heat, and can manipulate and control it in turn, though not with great precision… my strikes are power instead.”
 
“Tidus, you remember this?” I held up the metal tube I always carried with me. “It is not a toy, but a dangerous weapon.” I ignited the blade, which glowed red, point down to the sand. I stabbed it into the Sand and it became glass when my blade left it. “It is a blade of energy which cuts better than any sword you have ever seen in real life. It is as a light saber, the weapon of a jedi, but it has never seen a jedi, and neither have I, not beyond the tv screen or theater.”
 
“But why is it red? I thought the…”
 
“My blade is made for killing, and has claimed many. It is stained red with blood, I suppose you could say. Because it was once white.” I paused for a moment, and then switched it off. “I have never fought nor seen a heartless, save in games. Before the events which forever changed my world occurred, you were just characters from a video game. All of you. The worlds you have visited? They are from movies and games as well. The series in which I currently sit, it is entitled, and aptly so, Kingdom Hearts.”
 
“Corben, what can you tell us about your past?”
 
“I was but one of many figures in a great war that consumed the planet, and nearly destroyed it. Beings called Anti-Dragons, who were the resurrected and corrupted bodies of Ancient Dragons, I suppose they could have been Heartless who retained their sense of identity, or like to, sent their minions into our world to prepare it for their arrival. They had been sealed away by the Reptildra, the very beings that raised them. As war consumed our world, some greater power or being decided on a set of “Keys.” These keys were people who had the potential to save our world. I was one such Key. Isaiah is another. Walker was a third. The man whose name I can't remember, who is bound to me and to her,” her I indicated Franky, “was a fourth. There were others across the world. No one key could save the world alone. Though Walker came the closest. We called him Conquest, the Horseman of the Apocalypse. I was Death, for I killed more than any other. Tarius was War, for he was a man gifted with insight into technology, and gifted us with our weapons to fight. The last was Envoy, who was the Pestilience, the Plague, for he was ever striking at the heal, causing innumerable small injuries that could not be fixed before they overwhelmed the enemy, relentless and effective.”
 
I paused and caught my breath. “I'm digressing. Many, but not all, of the Keys, gained powers, abilities, and also many of those whose hearts had connected them to the Keys. Some keys did work to save mankind. Others worked only for themselves, and others still had that choice taken from them, and were forced to work for one end or another.”
 
“It took us a year and a half only, though it seemed an eternity, and we defeated the creatures and their servants, but all of us were scattered in the cataclysm, forced to leave a world we no longer belong to. Only Isaiah and a few others could stay, for they're job as Key's was not only in saving our world, but restoring it. Both the fact that he is here, and the fact that he is injured, means there is something out there, some evil which we must face. To do so, we must find those we have lost, who were also scattered. I realize now I should have been searching for them all along… but I don't know how to get off those world. I can't use the portals, I have no gummi ship, and I dare not traverse the paths of darkness, my light is not that strong.”
 
“Then I'll go with you. Because I think I know how to get us there. I didn't tell you Sora, but the King left me a way to get ahold of him, if I must. It is a onetime only, one way communication… but this might be the emergency I've been saving it for.” Silence followed. Sora was about to speak when…
 
“Where am I?” Isaiah had finally awoken.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Page | 2