Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ The Keyblade Master's Daughter ❯ “Do You Fear Nothingness?” ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:
 
I don't own Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy. How many times do I have to say this? Oh well…better than getting sued.
 
SPOILER WARNING!!! And I certainly don't want to get flamed for spoiling people unintentionally. This fanfic has KH2 spoilers. Read at your own risk!
 
Chapter Four: “Do You Fear Nothingness?”
 
“Ow!”
 
Kagiana inspected her finger after something pricked it (though she brushed it against nothing). A drop of dark red blood welled up from the tip, like a small ruby jewel.
 
“What is it?” Heart Riku said.
 
“Nothing,” she said, “it's nothing.”
 
She wiped away the blood, pondering why it had hurt so.
 
After leaving Traverse Town, they were headed back to Radiant Garden to restock. Donald and Goofy had been bitter about having to go back to Disney Castle (they had been summoned again), but they did give Kagiana a couple of new powers. Donald gave her the power to use the Aero spell, along with upgrading her other spells. Goofy taught her the Dodge Roll (since she could only sidestep and jump backwards). And, as a bonus, Sora taught her a new Keyblade technique: Ragnarok (she already knew Strike Raid and Sonic Blade). She had been practicing the spells so she could get the hang of them.
 
Sora tapped her shoulder. “Kagi.”
 
“What?”
 
“Is there something you want to tell me?”
 
“No…why?” She turned to him, ignoring her throbbing finger.
 
“Your friends are on the VM receiver.”
 
She had completely forgotten! She asked Mukohime, Kaorin, and Akaitou to send her VM messages about her mother.
 
“Oh. Well, you can listen to what they say. Before I left, I asked them to check on Mama once in a while, and tell me how she was doing.”
 
Sora raised his eyebrows, and for a moment she thought his eyes were watering. “Ah. I see. They were rather shocked to see me.”
 
“I'm sure they were. They haven't seen me since I left.”
 
It was too late before she realized what she'd said.
 
“Then, in that case, they knew where you were going,” Sora said, folding his arms. “They told me they didn't know you'd left.”
 
Surprisingly, she didn't feel embarrassed. Maybe because she didn't have anything against him anymore. “Did you say something to them?”
 
“I'll leave that for you to determine.”
 
Kagiana walked out into the cockpit and sat in the copilot's chair while Sora sat in the pilot's chair. The faces of Mukohime, Akaitou, and Kaorin were squeezed into the small area. They looked like they had run all the way to the VM senders in the Gummi Garage.
 
“What's up?”
 
“Kagi, did you get caught?” Mukohime said.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Ah! Does that mean you're coming back?” Akaitou asked.
 
“Well, yes and no,” she laughed. And so Kagiana explained about how that even though her father found her, they had decided to go together.
 
“Wow,” Kaorin said.
 
“So that's why,” Akaitou said.
 
“Sora scared the living daylights out of me!” Mukohime said. “He looked scary the last time!”
 
“And I now know why,” said Sora, who was next to Kagiana. She laughed.
 
“Anyway, what's up?”
 
“We ran here as fast as we could, it only happened a few moments ago,” Kaorin said. “You'll never believe it, and when you explained about you and Sora…”
 
“What is it?” Kagiana said, her heart leaping.
 
“Kairi moved. And we're not talking about closing or opening her eyes,” Akaitou said, evidently sensing what Kagiana thought `moved' meant. “She moved her hand.”
 
Both Kagiana and Sora snapped to attention. Kairi moved her hand! A movement that hadn't been seen in eleven years!
 
“It was only slight, but she moved it,” Mukohime said, nodding. “And I think it's because you and Sora are working together. It's like you just said, Kagi—she wouldn't want you and him to be at odds about this. And she senses it, maybe even feels it. We think your theory's right.”
 
“And what was that?” Sora said, turning to his daughter.
 
“I think that even though she can't respond, Mama can hear us and she can think. It's just she can't respond,” Kagiana said.
 
“Like a Nobody?”
 
“Exactly.”
 
“I see. But she moved…”
 
“Yeah…I don't believe it…”
 
“You sure she really moved it? I mean, it didn't slip down, right?” Sora asked over Kagiana's shoulder.
 
“No, it was her whole hand. It was kind of…it was at her side, and then she moved it slightly to the…right, I think. But she moved it, definitely.” Akaitou brushed his red hair back.
 
“Wow,” Sora murmured. He regained himself. “How are things back home?”
 
“Chaotic. Everyone knows you and Kagi left.”
 
“And?” Kagiana said. “Even I saw that coming.”
 
“Well…it's mostly about Sora,” Kaorin said. “They think you're off your rocker, Sora. I mean, it's really bad. They think it's because of your…problem.”
 
“Problem?” Kagiana turned to him.
 
“My depression,” he said, then added, “My different type of darkness.”
 
Kagiana understood that. “They knew?”
 
“Who doesn't? Gossip spreads like wildfire here. They all know about your problem, Sora.”
 
“I expected no less…”
 
“Wait…” Kagiana said. “You knew about that?”
 
“Didn't you know?” Kaorin asked, her brow furrowing.
 
“I just found out,” Kagiana replied.
 
“He never told you? He told us,” Mukohime said.
 
“When we became servants of the Castle,” Akaitou said, “He warned us that he might relapse.”
 
“And if he did, to keep you company,” Mukohime said.
 
Kagiana glanced sideways at Sora, who said, “You were too young.”
 
Ignoring this remark, she turned back to her friends.
 
“Anything you want to say to her?” Kaorin asked.
 
“Tell Mama that Daddy and I are working together, and that we're working on finding her heart,” Kagiana said. “And that we love her.”
 
“Sora?” Kaorin said. “You want to add anything?”
 
“Ah…tell her that Ronin-chan will come home soon.”
 
If any of them found the message strange, they were doing a good job of holding it back. Well, maybe not Mukohime.
 
“Um, right,” Mukohime said. “We'll tell her.”
 
“Thanks, you guys,” Kagiana said. “See you soon.”
 
“Same here,” they said. “See you.”
 
As the VM screen turned off, Kagiana turned to Sora. “Ronin-chan?”
 
“What, you don't know about that?”
 
“No…”
 
“Ronin is my middle name. Your mother used to call me Ronin-chan. Kind of like a pet name.”
 
“Wait…Sora Ronin Nomura?”
 
“Yes.”
 
Kagiana tried to force back a laugh but failed.
 
“What?”
 
“I just…I never would have thought…” Kagiana burst out laughing.
 
“I'm glad you think it's funny.”
 
“What? I think it is.”
 
The VM screen beeped.
 
Heart Riku glanced at the screen. “We're here.”
 
Sora brandished his Keyblade. “Ready?”
 
Kagiana smiled. “Only if you are.”
 
:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 :0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:
 
Sora, Kagiana, and Heart Riku walked off of the gummi ship and back to Sora's home. Akaitou, Mukohime, and Kaorin greeted them.
 
“Kagiana!” Mukohime said. “So? Did you find what you went for?”
 
“What, Mama's heart? No. But I know where it is now. Has she moved anymore?”
 
“Nope. Nothing. We checked. Just her hand,” Akaitou said.
 
Kagiana sighed; she had hoped for more movement. “Anything else new?”
 
“Well, there's something interesting down in the Dark Depths, you know, near the Bailey? There've been rumors of people down there,” Mukohime said.
 
“People?” Kagiana said, puzzled. The Dark Depths was a place where people were banned to go. What the town leaders said was that it was too dangerous, since Heartless still inhabited there, people really knew that it was because of the old Heartless manufactory there; even though it didn't work, they didn't want anyone to get ideas (like Xehanort did many years ago).
 
“You know we can't go down there, Muko,” Kaorin said sharply.
 
“Why not? Sounds like fun! It'd be an adventure, just like when we were little!”
 
Akaitou laughed. “Considering you're still a kid anyway, Muko…Kagi?”
 
She shrugged. “I'm siding with Mukohime. Let's go.”
 
“Wait. We don't have weapons,” Kaorin said. She was often the practical one. “There's Heartless down there, we all know that. Kagiana has her Keyblade, but what about us?”
 
“Akai can fight too!” Mukohime said. “Isn't that right? You trained under Tifa Lockhart, right?”
 
“I dunno about that,” he said, looking down and scuffling his feet. His face was now a shade of red complimentary to his hair. “I know just a few pointers from her.”
 
“All I have is a Struggle bat,” Kaorin said. “And you, Muko?”
 
Mukohime reached into her coat and pulled out a pocketknife. “I nicked it from Shitsumei the last time we saw him. Bet he hasn't even noticed.”
 
“Sounds good,” Kagiana said. “C'mon!”
 
Kaorin rolled her eyes and followed them.
 
:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 :0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:
 
As Kagiana was about to head down to the Dark Depths, Shitsumei appeared.
 
“Keh. Lucky girl, ya? Though for sure you'd be lost by now.”
 
“What do you want?” Kagiana snarled.
 
“Don't mind me,” he said. “With Sora's state, it's a surprise you're even returning…”
 
Kagiana unsheathed the Keyblade and put it in his face.
 
“Move.”
 
Shitsumei moved, but muttered, “Insane.”
 
Both Akaitou and Kagiana swung around, and both her Keyblade and Akaitou's fist collided with the back of his head. He fell like a sack of rocks.
 
“Serves him right,” he said. “C'mon.”
 
After traveling along the Ravine Trail and fighting off Heartless, they entered the Crystal Fissure.
 
“How's everyone?”
 
“Alright,” Akaitou said. “Kaorin?”
 
“Fine.”
 
“Muko?”
 
“Presently okay!”
 
“Let's continue.”
 
The Crystal Fissure led to The Great Maw. There, a plaque had been erected for the Battle of the Invading Heartless. Sora had helped single-handedly kill one thousand Heartless—quite a feat for anyone.
 
“No Heartless here,” Akaitou said.
 
“Don't speak too fast.”
 
Sure enough, Shadow and Soldier Heartless popped out of thin air. They vanished again as the Keyblade tore through them. More appeared, and the group fought them off.
 
“Follow me!” Kagiana said, and they ran into the Dark Depths.
 
:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 :0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:
 
Here there were certainly no Heartless, and the old manufactory building was in plain sight.
 
“So? Who's here, Muko?” Kaorin said angrily.
 
“Hey, it was a rumor!” Mukohime defended. “I don't know!”
 
Kagiana was very alert. “I feel like I'm being watched…”
 
Suddenly, white creatures popped from out of the ground. They were sinuous in form; truthfully, they looked like Heartless in white clothing. They had a different mark on their foreheads, a white X joined with a heart.
 
“What are these?” Akaitou said. “Certainly not Heartless—”
 
“No…” Kagiana said. “But whatever they are, they're not friendly!”
 
She flew at them with her Keyblade, but they were just too fast. She lunged and swung the blade, but they escaped and vanished.
 
“Well, if it isn't Sora Nomura's daughter…”
 
A figure had appeared at the point where the white creatures vanished. He was covered in a black hood and coat, similar to the ones Akaitou, Mukohime, and Kaorin wore (except without the gold key insignia). On the left breast of the coat was a white Roman numeral: I. Kagiana raised her Keyblade in a defensive stance.
 
“Who are you?”
 
“I am nothing.”
 
His enigmatic response did little to soothe Kagiana's anger. “Who are you?!”
 
The man removed his hood. Thick blonde hair fell to his shoulders, and his blue eyes showed little light. Kagiana was then struck by a strange and at the same time frightening thought: He looks like my father!
 
“Kagi!”
 
Sora ran to her, Keyblade out. “Kagi, what the hell were you thinking, running to the Dark Depths—?”
 
He froze as he saw the blonde-haired man.
 
“Hello, Sora,” he said. “Long time no see.”
 
Sora looked at the man in disbelief. “It can't be…Roxas?
 
The blonde man looked at Sora. “Hm. You do remember me.”
 
Sora turned to Kagiana and her friends. “All of you, get back!” He turned again to Roxas. “Why are you here?”
 
“To be whole again.”
 
“I thought you didn't want to be a part of me, Roxas! Did you have a change of heart? Oh wait—you don't have one!”
 
“You're right,” Roxas said. “I don't have a heart, and I certainly don't want to be a part of you again. But I do seek the purest of hearts…your daughter wields a Keyblade, and yet she doesn't know what sort of power it wields for us…”
 
“What?!” Sora yelled. “You're trying to use Kingdom Hearts again?”
 
“No, not Kingdom Hearts,” Roxas answered. “Xemnas was foolish, and he knew not that there were other doors that led to hearts. But I do. Why should Organization XIII have settled for second-best, if they sought hearts? That is what we think.”
 
“Who's we?” Sora said.
 
Twelve spheres of darkness appeared, which revealed their occupants. Twelve hooded and cloaked figures appeared next to Roxas. On their coats, on the left breast, was Roman numerals again, from II to XIII.
 
“Allow me to introduce XIII Ghosts,” He said.
 
“Another Organization XIII?” Sora said. “Roxas, you and I both know how successful that was!”
 
“We are different,” he replied.
 
“How?”
 
“We will settle for no less than the purest of hearts.”
 
Kagiana looked down at her Keyblade.
 
“You're not…”
 
The figure at the end was looking hard at Kagiana. Roxas too looked at Sora's daughter, a slightly bemused expression on his face.
 
“Kagiana Nomura,” he said. “The girl looking for her mother's heart, correct?”
 
“None of your business!” she yelled.
 
“My, aren't we touchy?” said one of the figures.
 
“Silence!” Roxas barked. He turned back to Sora. “Kairi's heart is gone? Then you should know what that means.”
 
Sora didn't respond. “What do you mean?
 
“What, you don't recall the witch?”
 
Sora gripped his Keyblade even harder. “What about her?”
 
Roxas merely looked at him. He grinned. “If I had a heart, I'd be laughing at your ignorance…recall the witch's true body?”
 
Sora roared in anger and lunged at Roxas, but he disappeared in a sphere of darkness, as did the other twelve figures. Roxas's voice then said, “Do you fear nothingness, Sora? Then follow us to the place of the purest hearts…
 
Sora stared at the spot where Roxas once was.
 
“Daddy,” Kagiana said. “That man, you said he was—“
 
“Roxas,” Sora said. “My Nobody.”
 
“But you told me that he had become a part of you! How the hell did he get loose!?”
 
“I allowed him to.”
 
“What do you mean, you allowed him to?!” Kagiana yelled.
 
Sora turned to his daughter. “Come. Let me explain.”
 
:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 :0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:
 
Kagiana sat beside her father in the Bailey. He looked older than usual, and equally as stressed out.
 
“Roxas is my Nobody, true,” Sora explained. “And he did become a part of me when I was fifteen. Before your mother lost her heart…I fought Riku, remember?”
 
“He split three-way,” Kagiana recalled.
 
“When he did, he used the last of his power to pull Roxas from me.”
 
“How did he do that?”
 
“He threw me into the realm of darkness, and I confronted Roxas there…and…”
 
“You lost.”
 
“No, I won, but not before the damage was done. He had used fighting to buy time. He was separate from me. He certainly changed in personality. He wanted to be his own person, not a Nobody. I told him he was doing the exact same thing Xemnas did—“
 
“Who's Xemnas?”
 
“He was Number I in Organization XIII. He wanted Kingdom Hearts to become a complete being. Roxas said he didn't want to be my Nobody. He wanted to be a true being. He founded his own Organization, XIII Ghosts.” He turned to Kagiana and gripped her shoulders. “It's mandatory we find Kairi's heart now…”
 
“You certainly changed your opinion,” she said.
 
“It's necessary, because they're looking for pure hearts in the Haven of Souls. They're going to look everywhere they can for hearts of that caliber of purity. And you're important because you can see the heart's true form.”
 
“What did they mean by `the witch'?”
 
Sora looked concerned. “They meant your mother's Nobody: Naminé.”
 
She was quiet, then said, “They want the Haven of Souls? That's where—“
 
“Kairi's heart may be, yes,” Sora said.
 
Kagiana leaped up. “Then I'll kick Roxas's ass! He's not getting his paws on her heart!”
 
“Then let's go!” Sora said.
 
:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 :0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:
 
Roxas: formerly known as BHK (Blonde-Haired Kid); Number XIII in Organization XIII, Sora's Nobody
Xemnas: Founder and Number I of Organization XIII in KH2.
Ronin (Sora's middle name): Samurai Without A Master (Japanese boy name)
 
Kathryne DeTamble's Current Thoughts:
 
Amazingly, this rewrite took a shorter time than previously thought. Hopefully I'll have the next chapter soon. I'm trying to think about the next world I should make them go to. I'm thinking Twilight Town, but I don't know. I want to stick to KH2 worlds. I know I'm going to have Pride Lands, Port Royal, and Space Paranoids in it, because those are my favorite worlds.
 
I apologize in advance for those who are angry that I made Roxas evil. Don't get me wrong, I love Roxas, I think he's awesome. But this was the idea I had.
 
Well, anyway, I'll try to update soon! Sayonara!