Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ But I Don't Like Boys? ❯ Did You Ever Love? ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

But I Don't Like Boys? by Shukumei
 
Disclaimer: Same as before.
 
Warnings/Spoilers: Yeah, same as before, too.
 
Author yapping: Hope you guys like this chapter. It's strange that I was fighting to squish stuff in the story so that Yuri and Wolfram weren't constantly just going on dates. And now that I've added Amelia, I have stuff to put in!
 
-o-o-
 
Chapter 14: Did You Ever Love?
 
“Pardon, Your Majesty?” Amelia raised a quizzical eyebrow at the king.
 
Yuri put a hand over his mouth, embarrassment flooding his face for blurting out something like that. Was that really even his business?
 
Amelia smiled in understanding. “You want to know if I like girls, Your Majesty? Now that I'm married, yes, you could technically say that I am a lesbian. `Cause now there's no real reason to be bisexual, is there?” She giggled a little and started to walk away. “Come, let's get Ao before you become more distracted.”
 
“Is Marie here?” Wolfram jogged forward to walk beside Amelia.
 
“Yes, she lives with me here. If you two come back again, you can see her. I think she'll be glad to see you, Your Excellency.” Amelia opened the side gate and ushered the two boys and guard in. “She'd be honored to meet you of course, Your Majesty.”
 
Yuri nodded. “I'd like to come back. I had hoped you could teach me about water teleportation. I mean, I can do it, but there's no control. Meeting Marie would be an added bonus.” He smiled. “I have all sorts of questions. It's just too bad it's getting late.”
 
“It's for the better.” Amelia picked up a bucket that she found in the yard, taking it with her to the stables. “Marie was sleepy and wanted to go to bed, but I had some chores around the house to attend to before retiring myself. Plus, I had to wait for you to return for your horse.”
 
Ao loudly neighed as the group entered the wooden barn. Yuri ran to his horse and pulled his neck into a hug. “Have you been a good boy, Ao?”
 
Ao neighed again.
 
Amelia stepped beside the king and patted the black horse's muzzle. “Ao was very well behaved today. Although, I can't say the same for Belle.”
 
As if sensing someone was talking bad about her, the tan mare, Belle, poked her head over the gate next to Ao and snorted.
 
“What?” Amelia patted her muzzle as well. “You were quite rude to Ao, Belle.” The blue-haired girl waggled a finger at her. “You were the one doing all the kicking and biting. Poor Ao couldn't do anything more than get out of your way.”
 
Wolfram looked over the pen's fence at the rest of Ao's body. “She bit him?”
 
Amelia joined Wolfram. “Not enough to break skin. She was mostly doing it to show her dominance. Ao accepted that; although, it's usually the other way around with animals.” She smoothed her hand over Ao's back. “They were inseparable for the rest of the day though. When I took Belle out for her walk, Ao had to come, too.” Amelia looked at Yuri funny. “But they didn't `make with the busy' as you put it, Your Majesty.”
 
“That's the spirit, Ao!” Yuri hugged his horse's neck again. “It sends off the wrong message if you have sex on the first date. We'll just have to come back again. That is,” Yuri cautiously reached out and touched Belle's nose, “as long as Belle wants you to.”
 
Belle whinnied and nuzzled her nose in Yuri's palm.
 
Amelia sat at the bench near the pen and looked up at Yuri. “Either you're really good with horses, or they sense your kind nature. Belle's never really liked people.”
 
Wolfram moved away from the fence to stand near Belle, but far out of her reach. “I know I wasn't someone she liked. If Conrad hadn't grabbed me, Belle would have kicked my face in that one day.”
 
“Then there would have been all sorts of problems,” Amelia said, leaning back and supporting her weight with her hands locked around the front of the bench.
 
Yuri laughed. “She would have taken away your good looks-"
 
“More than that, Your Majesty,” Amelia interrupted. “A horse has a lot of power behind those legs. She could have very well taken away his life.”
 
Yuri's smile immediately faded, and he stepped towards Wolfram. “I'm sorry; I didn't mean it like that. I hadn't really thought-"
 
“Don't worry about it, Yuri. Nothing happened. Conrad was there. It's in the past.” Wolfram smiled. “I do look back on it with amusement though sometimes.”
 
Amelia frowned. “It's always a horrific moment for me. As glad as I was that Wolfram wasn't hurt, I was concerned for Belle, too.” She stood up to run her hand along Belle's jaw. “Even though she acted out of fear, the stable master wanted to have her killed. That's the way it is with animals that don't show the utmost promise, and I expected it.”
 
“I remember,” Wolfram said, “you and… Marie snuck her out that night.”
 
Amelia nodded. “Not a fond memory either.”
 
There was a painful drag of silence as Yuri looked back and forth between Wolfram and Amelia. As much as the king wanted to know what had happened with them, he wasn't certain he'd get a straight answer. He had heard that dealing with ex's was a sore subject thanks to some unresolved conflict or the current significant other's jealousy. Yuri had to fall with the former one at this moment since he wasn't jealous but innately curious.
 
Wolfram spoke first, “But I'm glad you're happy. You seem happy anyway.”
 
“I am, Wolfram. Thank you.”
 
-o-o-
 
They said their goodbyes when the brunette guard pointed out the time. Yuri promised to be back when he got a moment of time off from his kingly duties, and said he'd send a message ahead. And so, they returned to the carriage, the guard walking behind it with Ao.
 
“Hey, Wolfram?” Yuri watched the blonde stare out the carriage window, resting his chin in his hand.
 
“Hmm?” He didn't turn to look at the king but continued to watch the dark buildings pass by.
 
“Can I ask-"
 
Wolfram sighed. “You want to know about me and Amelia. Don't you?”
 
Yuri slowly nodded, carefully moving to sit next to Wolfram rather than across from him in the confines of the burgundy plush carriage. “Yes, I do.”
 
The blonde stopped his gazing long enough to see that Yuri had relocated himself and went back to look out the window. “What do you want to know?” He said with a shrug.
 
“Anything. Everything.” Yuri sat back in the cushioned seat, but his eyes never left Wolfram. “Whatever you're willing to tell me.”
 
Wolfram shifted a little to see Yuri out of the corner of his eyes. “Yuri, what all have you figured out so far?”
 
“I know that you two had horseback training together, and that you dated since you said she cheated on you, with Marie as I assume. Did you two meet with the horse training?” Yuri put his hands in his laps. “I'm not sure why Amelia would be in the castle in the first place. She has great water maryoku, and yet she lives in the village. What happened there? And what's with the secret knocking?”
 
Wolfram turned to Yuri and smiled. “Are you asking about Amelia or our relationship?”
 
Yuri frowned and fiddled with his fingers. “I should ask Amelia about her life, huh?” The king sighed. “Does it bother you, seeing her again?”
 
“Why would it bother me?” Wolfram went back to watching the passing buildings.
 
“It's been ten years since you've seen each other, and yet, there's some sort of friction I think. Do you still have feelings for her?”
 
“No,” Wolfram said quietly but without hesitation, “I don't think I ever loved her.” Wolfram lowered his eyes and sat back in the seat next to Yuri. “I thought I did, but I don't know. Now that I'm older, I can look back on our relationship to see that we were happy, yet what I felt then for her is nothing compared to what I feel now… for you.”
 
“If you were so happy together, why did she feel the need to cheat on you?” Yuri asked, trying to keep the conversation away from their own relationship. He knew how Wolfram felt, mostly, and he didn't want to have to tell him again that those feelings weren't fully returned.
 
Wolfram's eyebrows drew together in doubt. “Because I thought I was too good for her.” He put his hand up when Yuri opened his mouth. “I was young, a prince, could have anything I wanted. Because I was the Maou's son, I had plenty of people to choose from, but they began to leave as they found out what me being the Maou's son meant. I lied when I said my lovers left because I was too close to my mother. They left because I thought they should be grateful I called them my lover. After Amelia, I realized that I wasn't better than anyone else, that I was probably beneath everyone I had dated in the past.
 
“I was jealous of Marie, angry that Amelia found someone she thought was more beautiful and deserving of her love. I didn't want to be alone, Yuri. I did something rash, hoping it would bring Amelia back to me, just to prove she was mine-"
 
“You didn't hurt Marie, did you?” Yuri asked with wide eyes.
 
Wolfram shook his head as he lifted his eyes to stare at the compartment's ceiling. “There was a regent from another country over, I can't remember which one, but his son, Connor, was infatuated with me, so I let him fill his silly fancies by taking him as a lover. Things didn't turn out too well.”
 
Yuri placed a hand on Wolfram's shoulder. “Why? What happened? And what does he have to do with Amelia?” he asked curiously.
 
“I used him to get to Amelia.” Wolfram lowered his head again.
 
Yuri frowned and dropped his hand back into his lap. “Is Amelia the reason you're so possessive?”
 
The blonde sighed. “It's not her fault. But after that, I did see that there were better people out there, so I became desperate to keep them. I made sure their eyes never wandered. Connor was devoted, always faithful, but our relationship had been purely physical for the few weeks he had been there. It was a one-sided love on his part that was more obsessive adoration.”
 
“Have you ever loved anyone, Wolfram? All these past lovers and so far, you've told me you weren't in love with them.” The carriage came to a stop, and Yuri turned to look out the window and saw the castle looming above them.
 
Wolfram sighed as a guard came to the carriage door and held out a hand to let the royalties out into the night. Since Wolfram didn't seem to want to touch on that subject, Yuri stepped out of the carriage and together they walked in silence to make sure Ao was put away in the stables. Yuri told Ao goodnight with a small helping of oats before they returned to the castle to sleep.
 
-o-o-
 
Wolfram was still unbearably silent as they changed into sleeping wear in Yuri's room, backs facing one another. That is, until Wolfram asked something he'd never asked before.
 
“Can I stay with you tonight?”
 
Yuri turned to Wolfram with a surprised curiosity and blushed slightly as he noticed the blonde's pink night gown falling over his black underwear from behind. Wolfram twisted at the hips to see Yuri standing slightly stunned, half-dressed, and with only one arm in a blue sleeve. The prince meekly smiled at his fiancé's pink face. Perhaps the king had seen something he liked?
 
Yuri quickly cleared his throat, putting his other arm in a sleeve. “You can stay if you'd like.” As if Wolfram needed permission. Yuri buttoned his top and went to his side of the bed, avoiding eye contact with the prince.
 
Wolfram joined Yuri in the bed, flipping so that his back was facing the king. His mop of blond hair was the only thing visible as he covered himself with the thick comforter. Thank goodness it had been cleaned and the sheets had been replaced; it had been a little cold last night.
 
Neither of them fell asleep immediately. Yuri was anxious to talk to Wolfram, their conversation having been cut off earlier. Besides, he had yet to hear Wolfram's snoring, so he knew the blonde was still awake, too.
 
“What are you thinking about?” Yuri asked as he propped his head up with his elbow.
 
“Kuno.”
 
“Kuno?”
 
“You had asked if I ever loved anyone. Five years ago, I fell in love with Kuno, one of my personal body guards,” Wolfram said. “He was of a much lower rank, so our relationship was very secret. It was nice, for awhile, but after Kuno, I stopped appointing guards that I thought I could become attached to.”
 
Yuri sat up, suddenly interested. “Who all knew?”
 
Wolfram stayed facing away from Yuri and sighed. “I told Mother about him, and Gwendal knew a little bit about it. Everyone ended up finding out anyway.”
 
“How so?”
 
Wolfram breathed in heavily, silent for a moment before he spoke. “They found out when I emotionally reacted to his death. He caught pneumonia on one of our border patrols and died a few days later. I was really out of it for the next few months, but my family tried to help me recuperate. Mostly my mother trying to throw possible partners at me, but I haven't dated since. My heart was never in it.”
 
Yuri quietly gasped. “I'm sorry, Wolfram.”
 
“There's nothing you could have done, especially since you weren't there, so you don't need to apologize.” Wolfram buried his face under the blanket.
 
“I'm still sorry.” Yuri slowly reached out a hand to pull the cover away from Wolfram's head and slid closer to him. “I can't say I've experienced the loss of a loved one, but I know it's not a good feeling.” He ran his fingers over Wolfram's hair, tucking the strands behind his ear in what he hoped was a comforting gesture.
 
Wolfram shifted, pulling the blanket up so he could slowly maneuver to face Yuri. He settled the blanket around himself again and promptly buried his face in Yuri's shoulder. “Just promise. Promise me…” Yuri stiffened at the contact at first, drawing his lower body away from Wolfram just enough to avoid completely touching. Wolfram fisted his hands in Yuri's shirt. “Please, Yuri.”
 
Yuri found he couldn't really use his right arm so he put it under his cheek and rested the bottom of his chin against Wolfram's head. He continued running his fingers through Wolfram's hair, waiting for the tears that never came. “I promise, Wolfram.” Even though he wasn't sure exactly what he was promising.
 
And he fell asleep that way, curled around Wolfram as the blonde too fell asleep nestled against Yuri's chest.
-o-o-
 
End chapter 14.
 
I hope you guys are okay with that portrayal of Wolfram in the past. It just came to me while I was going over this scene, so I had to rewrite and save other stuff for later.
 
Another name from behindthenamedotcom! I looked up a masculine name for “lover” and Connor was one of them. Sure it was Irish/English, but once I saw that it derived from a word that meant “dog lover” or “wolf lover”, I just had to snatch it up. I don't care that it's eerily close to Conrad… Oh, and Kuno derives from the Germanic kuoni which means “brave”. Man, I love that site.
 
And Oh my God. I spelled pneumonia right on the first try! Sorry, I had to share.
 
Read and review, please!