Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ But I Don't Like Boys? ❯ Priorities ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

But I Don't Like Boys? by Shukumei
 
Disclaimer: Same as before.
 
Warnings/Spoilers: Yeah, same as before, too.
 
Author yapping: Okay, so I'm dumb… Japan's schools start in April, if I looked it up right. Which is about where my story's timeframe is? Blah. Okay, back up to like end of February or something. And as I was writing this chapter, I realized just how screwed up the time is! I'm so confused! Oh, I got it! /makes plans/
 
 
-o-o-
 
Chapter 15: Priorities
 
Yuri opened his eyes to the morning, yawing as he stretched his arms. He turned to Wolfram's side of the bed only to find that Wolfram wasn't there. He sighed to himself, frowning in slight disappointment. Yuri had wanted to talk about last night. There was a lot to take in that Wolfram had revealed to him, and he felt guilty for taking advantage of Wolfram's promise to be open with him.
 
He sat up and threw off the covers, wondering if he had accidentally slept in. It was a new week, more days of studying and being a King. Yuri decided to change in a hurry so he wouldn't miss out on breakfast; that is, if he hadn't slept through it already.
 
The door opened, and Yuri turned to snap at the person that they should have knocked. Wolfram stepped into the room, dressed in his uniform blues for the day, and his retort died in his throat. Yuri tossed his pajama top onto his bed, reaching for his white undershirt laying on the edge of the bed with his school-like uniform. “Glad to see I didn't scare you off.”
 
Wolfram shut the door behind him, a confused look crossing his face. “What did you do to scare me off?”
 
“About last night…” Yuri buttoned up the white undershirt, tugging the collar up around his neck. “I know you don't want to keep any secrets from me, but if you feel uncomfortable talking about some things, you can tell me to stop pestering you for information, especially… about your past.”
 
“Oh,” Wolfram crossed the room to stand beside Yuri, “I'm really glad you want to know who I am, Yuri. And I don't want to keep anything from you. But maybe, I'm revealing my past a little too quickly…”
 
“What do you mean?” Yuri turned to Wolfram, changing into his uniform temporarily forgotten.
 
Wolfram lowered his head, the folds in Yuri's shirt suddenly very interesting. “Something the Maou said last night…”
 
“The Maou?” Yuri's eyes widened, and he grabbed Wolfram by the shoulders causing the blonde to snap his head up. “He appeared last night? What happened? I don't remember anything threatening that would cause me to use my maryoku.”
 
“Yuri, relax.” Wolfram forced a smile. “Nothing bad happened last night. I guess you changed sometime while you were sleeping. He woke me up, and we ta-"
 
“He's taking over my body now?!” Yuri threw his arms up in the air. “Before, he was just something that came out for the maryoku… I still don't understand exactly what it is that happens to me. He can just appear now, no reason needed? Wolfram, did he do anything?”
 
Wolfram tried to stop Yuri whom was frantically biting at his nails from pacing around. “No, Yuri. I said to relax before, didn't I?”
 
“Wait. He spoke to you.” Yuri stopped his pacing enough to grab Wolfram again. “What did he say?”
 
“He didn't say much last night.” Wolfram sat down on the edge of the bed as Yuri let him go. “He thought that I may be going too fast for us. And that I may have given you the wrong impression about Kuno.”
 
“What?!” Yuri sat down hard next to Wolfram, pushing his clothes aside. “He's giving relationship advice now? What does the Maou care about us? That's all you talked about? I just don't get it… What does he want?”
 
“The Maou's worried. It's sort of his body, too, and he's fully aware of what you do.”
 
Yuri stared at Wolfram, a strange look passing over his features. “And why am I not aware of what he does? Why do you know something like that?”
 
Wolfram averted his eyes. “He told me once.”
 
“He told you? Once?” Yuri shot off of the bed, starting to pace again. “He's talked to you before? Why haven't you told me about this? What else has he said? Wolfram-"
 
“Yuri!” Wolfram grabbed Yuri's wrist, tugging him back to the bed. “I didn't come in here this morning to talk to you about the Maou! I only know what he's told me, and it's very little. I've seen him three times, all of them after you had fallen asleep. If he randomly appears again, I'll be sure to let you know if he says anything particularly important. I thought you knew he had come out, so I didn't bother mentioning it.”
 
Wolfram cleared his throat. “But what I was originally trying to get at… I don't want you to think that I'm still in love with Kuno. I mean, it's not that I've completely forgotten about him. Um, he still has a place in my heart along with a lot of people in my past. Not that I've loved a lot of people, but-" Wolfram lightly blushed, stopping before he started stuttering something that lacked some sort of grammar.
 
“You think I doubt your feelings?” Yuri laughed. “I thought it was my feelings under questioning here. Look, I'm not worried about that now. Your talk of the Maou has me bothered.”
 
Wolfram glared at Yuri. “Because clearly the Maou is so much more important than our relationship.”
 
Yuri put his hands up defensively. “He's taking over my body! I have plenty of reasons to be concerned about that. I don't know who he is or what he does. He-"
 
“He's you,” Wolfram said.
 
“Me?”
 
Wolfram nodded. “When he first appeared, I freaked out and tried to run away. He's damn strong and held me down. He tried to convince me not to leave by telling me that he was you. You two are one in the same. The Maou didn't explain it to me, instead he turned back into you. So yeah, it was a short visit.”
 
“So… you believed him?” Yuri questioned. “And he didn't bother to explain the other times he came?”
 
“No.”
 
Yuri sighed and fell back onto the bed. “Just when I thought things couldn't get more complicated.” He turned his head to look at Wolfram's blond hair. “You think he'll come again?”
 
Wolfram laid down next to Yuri, putting his hands under the back of his head. “I don't see why he wouldn't. I'll, uh, let you know what he says if he appears again.”
 
“Thanks.” Yuri cleared his throat. “Now can you please leave so I can change before I miss breakfast?”
 
-o-o-
 
The week dragged on for Yuri as he returned to his kingly duties. Why on earth did people want to be royalty so bad? There was too much work, especially concerning things you had no knowledge of, too many people following you around, and not to mention the huge buildings to dwell in where you could easily get lost. Oh right, they wanted the power that came with being a king, the power to change and make laws, bending the country to his or her will. Maybe it was the riches or the elaborate foods. Yuri hardly had the time to enjoy the few things he had bought himself, but he did have to admit the food was divine.
 
So why the hell was he staying there? If he thought the job was too hard, why didn't he just go back home and try to live the life of a normal teenager, finish high school, and maybe go to college?
 
He had family here. That was as good a reason as any to warrant staying. Yuri had come to love and cherish the people around him in Shin Makoku. He did want to take care of his people, to do them some good that past rulers seemed to fail at.
 
Conrad had even set up a baseball team so that Yuri could have something he loved from his Earth home. And he had a daughter to think about. And a fiancé…
 
-o-o-
 
“I'm going to Earth for a little while,” Yuri announced as he finished up his paperwork.
 
Gwendal inspected the last paper. “You just agreed to let Anissina use you as a guinea pig.”
 
“What?” Yuri took the paper back and quickly scribbled over his signature, resigning on the `denied' line. “That was a close one. Why are people sneaking in requests like that?”
 
“Because we know you're not always paying attention.” Gwendal placed the paper in the `no' pile and grinned. “You also signed a request from me for a vacation.”
 
Yuri snorted. “Really? You're all just using me.”
 
Conrad stepped forward to take one of the piles for the verification process. “It seems like you're going to be taking a vacation of your own, Your Majesty.”
 
“No, not really.” Yuri sighed and slouched in his tall chair. “I have exams coming up and as much studying that I'm doing here, not enough time is passing on Earth… I just want it to be over with.”
 
“But Earth's time seems to be catching up with our own,” Conrad stated.
 
Yuri nodded and cracked his neck. “Yeah. I guess that's just one more thing that Shinou controlled. Without him around, Earth is only a few months short of Shin Makoku's. I'm missing a lot of school though…”
 
Gwendal grabbed the other stack of papers, turning towards the door. “You'll just have to figure out your priorities, Your Majesty.”
 
“Yeah,” Yuri sighed.
 
-o-o-
 
Yuri poked around Shinou's temple, looking for Ken. The shrine maidens seemed to keep pointing in different directions, claiming they had seen him there earlier that morning or over there just a few minutes ago. He stopped asking.
 
“I heard you've been looking for me,” Ken appeared in front of Yuri as the king sat down on the edge of the fountain.
 
“Oh, Murata.” Yuri stood up and smiled. “Yeah, I was. I was planning on heading back to Earth to go to school for a little bit.”
 
Ken stuck out his tongue. “Why would you want to go to school?”
 
Yuri shrugged. “I have to at least finish this year.”
 
“You do realize that now that Earth and Shin Makoku have the same momentum of time, you'll have a hard time living a life in both.” Ken grinned and guided Yuri away from the fountain. “I'm just going to stay here and visit my parents from time to time. Although, I do have less responsibility than you, so I can enjoy it more.”
 
“I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Earth is my home. My mother…” Yuri shook his head. “It's so complicated, isn't it?”
 
Ken sat down on a stone bench, patting the spot next to him for Yuri to sit. “Then you and Wolfram aren't getting serious?”
 
Yuri sat next to Ken. “What?”
 
“Not that it's really any of my business, but there's been rumors flying all over the place about you two.” Ken waved at a passing maiden and turned back to Yuri. “I'm curious where the threesome came from, but I at least gather there was a date.”
 
Yuri nodded, watching a bird clean itself in a small puddle near them. “Yeah, we had a date. The whole weekend was practically one big date.”
 
“So why did you leave the village anyway?” Ken asked.
 
Yuri slightly blushed. “I wanted us to be alone. There are too many eyes at the castle.”
 
“So it did get serious. I thought you'd never get laid at this rate, Shibuya.” Ken laughed.
 
“No! We didn't do that!” Yuri jumped up, startling the bird in the puddle to fly into a tree and disappear behind the leaves.
 
Ken titled his head. “You were alone and didn't do anything?”
 
Yuri's blush deepened. “We kissed. I swear, that's all we did.”
 
Ken stood up next to Yuri and slapped him on the back. “It's about time, Shibuya. Was it good…?”
 
Yuri didn't think his face could get any redder. “That's- Have you kissed anyone, Murata?” He asked quickly, trying to divert the conversation.
 
Ken raised an eyebrow at Yuri. “You're joking right?”
 
“You have? Who?” Yuri's face returned to its tan color as he excitedly waited for his friend's answer.
 
“Are you wanting to know about me, as Murata, or as the Great Sage and all my past incarnations?” Ken's eyes seemed to sparkle behind his round glasses.
 
Yuri raised his hand to cover his gaping mouth. “Then you could have done all sorts of things?! Wow, that doesn't weird you out or anything?”
 
Ken shrugged. “It's much needed experience. Japanese girls didn't really dig my nerdiness. The shrine maidens, though… they go nuts.”
 
“You didn't!” Yuri scoffed.
 
“Not from a lack of trying though.” Ken laughed. “A few of them practically threw themselves at me. But I'm a respectable man, and as shrine maidens they've taken a vow of celibacy. I wasn't about to let them break that. When Shinou left, it just got worse.”
 
“It must be hard staying in a place full of needy virgins.”
 
Ken sat back down on the bench and laughed. “Only when they try to jump my bones. Ulrike keeps me company now that Shinou isn't around to talk to…” His eyes darken with grief.
 
Yuri sat with Ken again and frowned. “I don't want this to sound weird or anything, but, um, did the Great Sage and, uh, Shinou ever, you know…”
 
“Have sex?” Ken bluntly asked.
 
“Well, I wasn't really trying to go that far with it. It just seems like the Great Sage was really faithful to Shinou. I mean, he kept reincarnating himself to help the king, waiting four thousand years…” Yuri stood up to leave. “I'm sorry, that's even less of my business. I'll, uh-"
 
“Having the soul of someone that's in love with a dead man is really problematic.” Ken sighed and stood up to face Yuri. “My love life is all screwed up in every incarnation. I can't count the number of women they've slept with, but… there's only one man in our heart. And that's not to say that a man was never in the picture. It got especially confusing for the female incarnations.”
 
“Wow. The Great Sage was really dedicated. I just hope his feelings were returned.”
 
Ken put his arm around Yuri's shoulder as they walked together. “It's better late than never. Oh, and did you still have plans for an Earth date with Wolfram?”
 
“We just went on a date last weekend. But yes, I am. It's one of the reasons I'm going to Earth.” Yuri nodded. “I didn't want to just show up one day with Wolfram and expect my mom to have everything set up. I think she had some things in mind, although… I should probably be worried about what she wants to do.”
 
Ken smiled. “It didn't sound too bad when she told me. She does need to narrow some things down, so she'll want more information about Wolfram when you go.”
 
-o-o-
 
What? We don't get to see what happened with the Maou?! /sweats/ Well, uh, we have to wait until Yuri finds out what happens when the Maou appears. So you'll have to be patient. Again.
 
Crap! I'm in the middle of writing this chapter and watching KKM, the episode where Yuri and Gwendal meet Nicola… and missed the friekin' ring! She takes it off her left ring finger and gives it to the kid, Jilta, to sell for food. But none of us are paying that much attention to the show. That's what I get for trying to figure out whether or not Yuri's undershirt buttons up and getting caught up in the show instead. XP