Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ Hoax - The Seige ❯ The first day. ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Hesitant. he was always hesitant. No matter what the situation was, he was always just stuck, hanging back in obscurity. Of course, hesitance had saved his lfe several times. But it kept him there, in the constant stream of unnoticed. Next time, he thought idly. I'll stand up. I'll relinquish this fear and bear whatever burden need be. Coincidentally, he'd make good on that promise.

He and Chaser sat in the back of the church while the minister said the prayer of departure to the men. Though the ceremony lacked importance to the two, it helped to kill the constant feeling of oppressive emptiness that had settled on Hoax in the past weeks. With the prayer coming to a close, The group who had been assigned to Seventh Fort slowly but steadily shuffled out into the street. Chaser Turned and watched the final soldier less than emphatically depart from the church. He turned to Stanten, who's eyes were resting on the pulpit.

"They'll be back soon enough," He more asked than stated. Stanten slowly scanned the church, which low burning candles cast dancing minature demons over the aged wood. Stanten's gaze finally caught site of Chaser's face, and the anxiety was profound.
"Of course they'll be fine. Haven't you been paying attention? They said that Sir Lavitz himself has returned from the deepest depths of Hell to fight for his majesty. With such good fortune, we are without worry." He gave a small confirmatory smile that Chaser slowly returned. Chaser opened his mouth to speak, but second guessed himself. "What is it?"
"Its just..." Chaser almost seemed ashamed to even admit it. He had heard that Sandora was using a dragon. A Dragon. Not even Sir Lavitz could kill a dragon. No man could. Stanten's expression dictated he wanted to know. Chaser shook his head. "Its nothing. Nothing but child's fancy and folly." Stanten patted him on the leg in reassurance.
"In that case," He said as he stood up stretching, "We should go check the Barracks. See what shift we pulled." Chaser stood too, the two of them walking to the door and out into the street.

"We're not going to make before night fall," Lavitz said, his eyes straining to see the distant figure of Hoax on the horizon. He digressed and sighed. "We'll have to set up camp and wait it out." Dart agreed as he slowly lowered himself to the ground, looking effortlessly to find the most comfortable piece of flat ground to sleep on. Lavitz watched as Dart and Shana fought each other teasingly, over where to sleep.
"Like brother and sister," He thought to himself. He turned his head back to the direction in which Hoax inevitably lay. He thought about the trials ahead. The war. All the destruction and ruin. He thought about bale. his mother, Albert. And his father. He shuddered to himself. The fear of loss was always there, always festering in the back of his mind. He couldn't end the war tonight. He couldn't make every one safe this exact moment, so with a glance around the camp, he turned to Dart and Shana. "You two will never learn," He smiled, if only to mask the constantly growing terror that he knew would soon come.

Stanten saw Chaser sprinting towards him. Unsure of what to think, he laughed as the teenager fumbled up the ladder to the guard post and spilled into the lookout platform. Chaser collapsed and lay there, his chest heaving madly. "Gee, is something on your mind, Chaser?" He remarked with a smirk. "Take your shoes off. Stay awhile."
"This... is... amazing..." The words barely passing his lips between rigid gasps. the massive inhalations slowly but steadily resided, until Chaser could sit up and speak. "You wont believe it." Stanten raised an eyebrow and prompted Chaser continue. "The guys at the seventh fort. They said they saw it. Saw it flying near the volcano." Stanten didn't seem to understand.
"Saw.. what? Saw what flying around the volcano. make some sense," He extended an arm to help Chaser stand. dusting himself off, chaser continued.
"I.. don't know if you've heard any of the rumors going on around here about the dragon but-"
"Stop right there." Stanten raised his hand "Don't even tell me that those guys have been filling your head with that dragon nonsense. "Chasers look of excitement changed to one of confusion and slight embarrassment. Stanten confirmed his suspicions in the look. "Listen Chaser, those guys know that you're pretty up tight. they're just trying to get a rise out of you. I mean come on. A dragon? You aren't a child, Chaser. use your head man." Chaser begrudgingly agreed, cursing himself for so easily falling privy to the ruse. "now if you don't mind, I've got a watch to continue. " tail tucked firmly between his legs, Chaser started down the ladder. "Hey Chase," Stanten said almost as an after thought. "There's some dragon repellent at the infirmary. Ya know... if you're interested." Chaser swore under his breath and disappeared down the ladder.