Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Dragoon Ninja Part 1- The Shin Obi War ❯ Lone Warriors ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
 
 
 
The LoneWarriors
 
 
It would normally have taken days for Sakura to reach her destination on the Toad Mountain pass. But today time was of the essence, a recent tavern venture yielded the rumor that a Sandoran army unit has raided the great Konoha Gakure last night. Of course she didn't believe at first. She violently interrogated him till he almost bled to death, then she believed him. She stormed out furious and confused, especially when he told her a dragon had been seen in the area, some thought it was allied with Sandoria. A dragon allying with the Empire meant one thing. Something like that meant as much good as a blunt short sword against a drove of samurai.
 
Immediately she left the tavern and headed on the road to confirm the worst of her fears. Now here she is, scaling Leaping Summit (the quickest and most dangerous path, around, to the Burning Forest). Sakura carefully traversed the rickety rope bridges to Toad Alter. Sakura chuckled to herself because it wasn't really “an Alter”. No one made worship on this area of the mountain, it's nearly secluded. The locals gave it, it's name because it's a land mark made of strangely even stone steps, all about as high as 8ft tall. They were all easily scale able even without equipment, and they all lead to a stone table at the mouth of a cave which resembled the mouth of a giant toad.
 
Gracefully she descended the steps with little to no difficulty. In a moment she founded upon a small meadow; she took to it for a short breath. It was lovely and peaceful, with a bed of flowers surrounding a ray of sunshine at the focal point of this radiant beauty. A sight like this brought a tear to Sakura's cold, hardened eyes, because they made her think of a past she never wanted to think about again. Then she walked over to the lip of the cliff and snapped back to reality, the sun had barely begun to set. She was amazed at the time of day. It was just yesterday she began her trek through the pass, which normally would have taken days even in the shortest path. She had only used almost two days to traverse a whole mountain. She began pondered about how that could've happened so fast, but she became to delve in the hypnotic aura of the setting sun. The blending shades of yellow orange and gold into the red focal point. It brought tears full of painful memories to her eyes, she wandered to the edge engrossed in thoughts of times long gone, when all of a sudden a tremor in the air, forced Sakura out of her reverie.
 
She strained her eyes to find the source but instead she saw it rise out of the forest. “The Green Tusked Dragon Feyrbrand…” She whispered to herself as she saw her quarry “is he trying to corner something.” And with all the quickness and agility of a cat, she returned to her pursuit down the mountain. `I my be headed down a more dangerous route than originally planned.' Sakura mused to herself with a smirk.
 
~***~
Naruto Uzumaki awoke from his day dream nap as a crash came through the forest, it sounded like a roar but he brushed it aside because he'd been half asleep. After a quick survey of his surroundings, he looked at the letter he received from the Leaf Village at the last out post town from the Hokage.
 
Dear Naruto,
 
It's been five years since you swayed me to give permission to travel outside the village for personal reasons, what ever they may be. Nevertheless I hope you are doing well, in health and in your search for your past. However there may be a time, soon, where you may need to return to Konoha Gakure. Edo is having political trouble, the Empire is growing more stubborn. I'm afraid the seeds of war are beginning to sow…I may ask you to return to the village to lend your arms; scouts are reporting the chances of a full scale war seem to be growing more likely every day. My hopes still stand to avoid conflict, but things are getting worse every day.
I still wish you luck on your quest, I'm just sorry to inform you so late and that it was so long before you found out.
 
Best wishes,
Hokage Tsunade
 
Naruto stared blankly at the paper and tried to process what it said, “The chance of war is growing every day, huh.” He whispered in his own ear. “I hope it's just a rumor.” Suddenly he heard thunder rumbling from the ground, he immediately determined horses, and hurried to the source. In time he found a group of soldiers along the main road, but they passed before he could reach them. “Damn I missed…huh? Just before he could finish his thought, two rear scouts ambushed and surrounded him. “I should've known.” He said with a tip of accusation pointed toward him self.
 
“Halt!” One of the soldiers cried out.
“Who are you?! And why are you here!? The road is off limits!” The other one said, pointing his spear to Naruto's heart.
 
That one was new, Naruto didn't hear of a road block at all, in weeks. These two were hiding something, something he intended to force out if necessary. Without hesitation he drew his sword and parried the soldiers spear away and assumed battle stance. The soldiers angry at this gesture prepared to attack when another crash is heard through the forest, this time another reverberated after the last like foot stomping. The pounding grew closer until a crash came through the trees and out into the open.
 
The soldiers were terrified and ran away forgetting about the punk who drew a sword onto them, the same thing with Naruto. One look at that monster was all he needed to feel terrified. Then it struck him back and forth like it was toying with him. Already in pain he decided to run from the…whatever it was. That thing looked more like a large disfigured grasshopper than anything a normal person would come by. But it had a larger wingspan that belonged more to a giant eagle than an insect.
 
Naruto hadn't even made it one mile when his injuries began to take its toll. “Not good! he thought. “It's coming!” Naruto began to feel a kind of dread when suddenly he felt himself whisked up and the next thing he knew he was at the base of a large rock before the creature came upon him. When he looked up he was staring at…a large forehead. “Have I actually been saved by a forehead?” he began to think. “What the hell is happening to the world?” Finally he noticed who the forehead was attached to. It was a slender woman with strange pink hair. “Shh,” was the first thing she said.
 
“Who are…?” Naruto spoke aloud but before he finished the woman clamped his mouth shut and whispered, “Be quiet if you want to live!” When it realized its prey was missing the creature began to turn and leave. After several minutes the woman stepped out and surveyed the surroundings. “Its all clear, you can come out?” Naruto stepped out and began to stare at his rescuer, wide eyed. “It's ok to be amazed, I know it was tough for you. I'm Haruno Sakura” She replied smiling. “Uzumaki Naruto. Um…what…” Naruto began, “is the deal with your forehead?”
 
The next thing that happened was a numb feeling followed by stars. He realized that he was just smacked in the face, by an angry woman. “Is that what you say to the person who saved your sorry ass!!?” She yelled. “You can beat me to a pulp but I'm not lying to you! What was that any way?” She put aside her petty anger and looked like she meant business. “That!...was a Dragon.” Naruto began to feel the color drain from his face. “But I don't get it. Even without a dragon the army was fairly large enough to crush that village.” Sakura began to stare up the road and a terrible conclusion washed over him. “Wait! Do you mean Konoha!? Then those soldiers…!” without waiting for an answer, he turned and dashed to the village praying that it wasn't true.
 
“It's too late…there won't be any thing left.” Sakura called out. “That's my village that your spouting about!” and before she could say any thing, Naruto had disappeared behind the bend. “Well not like it's any of my business any…” and before she could finish the brooch she wore began to glow with ferocity. “Oh my god! Was… that…? Impossible there's no way” She was shocked and horrified at what the light indicated but couldn't bare to except it.