Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Dragoon II ❯ The Battle Commencing ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 12) The battle commencing

A series of loud explosions drowned out the words that had been coming from the Queen. The explosions had wakened Orrin's senses, making him no longer tired. Both he and the Queen rushed back to the center of the ring of statues, then towards the front door. The sight that the two saw both shocked and appalled them. Deningrad was on fire, with fire seemingly raining from the sky. The streets were filled with townspeople running about and white-robed men carrying valuables and scorching buildings with their trademark. Orrin shut the door as a robed man saw them, and he put the bar across so that nobody could get in. Immediatly after, the door shook, being banged on, but the robed man apparently gave up. Orrin turned to the Queen. "It might be best if you lock yourself upstairs. I'll go to my room, try to wake Al and have us go out and join the soldiers." The Queen nodded with affirmation, and then ran to the stairway under the middle statue. Orrin took flight in running down the hall to the guest rooms.

Orrin entered the guest room. First, he ran to Al's side, surprised that he was still asleep. Orrin tried shaking him, but got nowhere in doing so. "He'll just have to come when he wakes up, then." Orrin muttered, going to his bed and grabbing the spear and holster. After equipping the holster to himself, he ran out of the room with his weapon, noticing how different it was compared to his old stick. In the hall, he noticed two knights running, trying to report for battle. They all rounded a few corners when one knight turned around and asked, "Who's following us?" Orrin quickly realized whose voice it was. "Shel?" he spoke out loud to the knight. Shel then replied, "Orrin?" Orrin began to explain, "I'm following you to get to the rest of the soldiers. I'm going to help." Shel took a considerative pause and said, "Ok, I'll lead you there."

Shel and Orrin ran the halls, following each corridor to their destination. Shel took a sharp right, and Orrin followed, skidding a little. That hall led them to another door that went outside, but instead of a pillaged city, it was the meeting ground of the knights getting ready to quell the upsurge. Orrin slowed some so that he wouldn't bump into anyone, and he walked towards the front of the group. As soon as he got out of the mass, a man dressed in the same manner as the knights, only more decoratively, came forward with an air of command. "Who are you and what are you doing here? Someone of your age shouldn't even be allowed to be here." Unable to answer, Orrin stood there speechless. Shel suddenly came out of the crowd and addressed the man in a salute. "I'm sorry, Commander. He's one of the travelers who defeated the basilisk. He wants to help." The Commander stood thinking for a second with a finger to his chin. "I suppose you're fighting fit, but you must obey every command, just like everyone else here. Disobeying will be punishable by martial law. I hope you understand that even though you're volunteering, you don't get any special treatment."

After saluting to the Commander again, Shel led Orrin to the rest of the crowd, now assembling into orderly columns and rows. He made sure Orrin stood next to him, so that he could help him in marching. When all bustle quieted from the men, the Commander shouted, "Companies....... Forward!" The knights all began a very fast march. Orrin struggled to keep up at first, but he soon got the rythym of the footsteps. They all had to march around the castle first, to get to the mayhem. When they rounded the last corner, the columns and rows split into many factions of three by three, going in different directions. The faction that Orrin ended up in, with Shel, led them to the front of the castle, where the robed man had tried to enter earlier. What Orrin noticed that the knights were doing was they were trying to stop the looters, driving them back and out of the city, slaying them if neccessary. Random violence acts around them broke the faction up smaller, so that Orrin and Shel were somewhat isolated, and a robed man, the same one that tried to force entry into the castle, noticed and recognized Orrin's face and charged at him. Orrin held his spear forward, hoping that it would scare the man off. When it didn't, Orrin hesitated and he lowered his spear some. Shel, realizing this, drew his sword, with its purple hilt and shining blade which glinted in some firelight somewhere, and stabbed the man in the chest, killing him. As the body fell to the ground, Shel shouted over the roar of the nearby fire, "You can't hesitate on the battle field, that's how you die!"

The faction had reformed, walking down more streets. The mass of robed men seemed to be thinnig as time went on. Shel noted to Orrin, "This just may mean we're winning, but it's never safe to assume anything." Orrin nodded in agreement when the faction turned a corner and saw a group of robed men assaulting a fairly large group of women. The knights ran forward, to help the citizens, stabbing at the attacking robed men. When all of the robed men had fallen, the women rushed by, screaming in terror. The group of knights continued to walk, scouting for any trouble, when they got near the edge of town. They all stopped when the air seemed to fill with a sense of dark omeniscity. What made the situation even more ominous was a large group of robed men running by without so much as a passing glance. One of the knights commented, "It's as if they're all fleeing the city." The men were all in too much disbelief to cheer.

The faction began to turn around to head back to the castle when they stopped again. The ground beneath their feet trembled fiercely, only for a second. Moments later, a second tremor ran through the ground, except stronger. The knights began moving again, but slowly, and another wave of shaking was sent through the ground. Orrin heard Shel whisper, "Those sound like footsteps." The tremors stopped, and Orrin saw at the very edge of town something extremely tall. Comparing it to the forest, he could have sworn it was at least forty feet tall. The fires around it made it easier to see. It was tall, gray, had huge hands and feet, with fingers and toes looking more like less significant horns and spears rather than digits, and a disgustingly huge head which seemed to serve as the thorax as well. The things hands had seemed to center around its eyes, which were large, beady, and plentiful. The center eye began to glow a soft pinkish color. As the glowing became brighter, the thing turned its head a bit.

In an explosion of energy, the building next to them, and many buildings following that line, were decimated in seconds. Without realizing, Orrin, as well as the rest of the knights, had turned, began to run, and were screaming the entire time. Noticing the group of nine people, the thing began to chase them. With quickening footsteps and more ground tremors, the thing followed them, covering ground at an alarming rate. After one step, the thing seemed to take an exceptionally long stride. Shel noticed this, and he dived, taking Orrin with him, into a tight alley between two buildings. A sickening squish/crunch told Shel that the rest of the faction was dead. Daring to look, Shel saw that where the rest of the knights had been, there was now a sickly red splotch of blood and internal organs, the thing had stomped on them. When Orrin realized what had happened, he asked Shel, "What the HELL was that THING??!" Shel quickly shushed him, hoping that the thing hadn't heard Orrin's outburst. Continued footsteps told him that it didn't. Swiping his arm across his face, he said, "That, I believe, was a Virage. But those are supposed to be all gone. They all died long ago, during the Second Campaign. I don't know how, but it's here and is destroying Deningrad."
~~~~~~~~
Inside the castle, in the living room adjacent to the Queen's bedroom, the room continued to echo with the tremors outside. The Queen had locked herself up in the room, to protect herself, when she let out a startled scream as the display that held the Dragoon Spirits smashed, a red streak coming from it heading towards the door. She let out another scream as it continued through the door without slowing. The red streak continued on its path, going down the stairs. When the floor leveled and it entered the main foyer, the red flash took a sharp left, towards the guest bedrooms. Immediatly following, the statue of Miranda shook. The hand crumbled to tiny fragments as another streak, this one white, followed the red streak.

Inside the guest bedroom, Al sat up after being woken by the trembling. He became startled as a red streak entered the room and hovered just over Rashe'm's head. Squinting, being able to see the thing since it was eminating red light, he recognized it as the red stone that Orrin had found. Seconds later, a similar, but white, streak entered the room, putting itself just above the majority of Rashe'm's wounds. Suddenly, the red stone began to flash, resulting in the white stone flashing as well. The light flashes grew in intensity until the room filled with light, and Al was unable to see anything, even having to shield his eyes from the light. In an instant, the light was gone, and Al heard a sound as if something was moving very fast. Once his night vision returned, he saw that Rashe'm's bed was now empty, except for discarded bandages surrounding the white stone.