Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Dragoon II ❯ Continuing the Journey ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 21) Continuing the journey

While walking back to their rooms, no one spoke. The tale that they had just heard shocked them into silence. But, even though they were silent, Orrin had some questions that he wanted to ask Al, mainly about the adventure he had with Guaraha. So, they continued, out of the tree-building, down the near deserted lanes with luminescent lights shining above them, when Liza and Derreck stopped in front of a building, which didn't stand out too much from the others. Derreck began saying, "This is where we live, and we have prepared your rooms in our quarters." He turned to face the building, and he waved his hand across a wall, which soon slid off to one side, like a door. Still leading, Liza and Derreck led the group into the building.

Orrin layed in his bed, unable to sleep. He seemed to have trouble lately, with all of the excitement and adventure. He decided to go out into the hall, to go to the room that resembled a kitchen to get some water from the sink, but he passed Al's room and saw that he couldn't sleep either. He figured that this was a better chance than never to ask Al what had happened, along with some other questions that were swimming in his skull. He knocked on the doorway frame, to announce that he was there. Immediately, Al said, "Orrin, come on in. What's troubling ya?"

Orrin took a seat in the room, settling himself before he talked. As soon as he was comfortable, he said, "I just couldn't sleep. What Guaraha said, it just got to me. But, you were talking about taking a journey together with him. What was that all about?" Al apparently took some time preparing what he was going to say next, but finally, he replied, "According to him, it was a journey to find himself. After I met him, he told me that he had lost something precious to him, that he was almost nothing without it" Orrin quickly asked, "How did you meet?" Al didn't need time preparing this time, "Well, it was when I was about yer age. I went out to get some items for dinner that night, and along stumbles this man in odd clothes. He looked awfully weary, so when he came up, I asked him, 'Would ya like to come for dinner? It looks like ya haven't eaten in days. I'm sure my parents will be glad to see ya, they love being kind to strangers.' So, he stayed and had dinner, then he was so wiped that he stayed the night too. That went on for a week, but then he comes up to me and asks, 'Would ya like to come with me for awhile on my journey? Something about ya makes me feel better.' Of course, my parents said it was okay, so, we were off."

Orrin felt a little awed by the selflessness of Al's parents, how they cared so much about someone they didn't even know. Al continued, "My parents didn't realize that he was a sage, let alone a wingly, but they trusted him none-the-less." Orrin then asked, "What did you do on that journey?", but Al only said, "That's for another time. Now I'm tired and going to bed. I suggest ya do the same." Orrin did feel a little tired now, and reluctantly, he went back to his room with other questions still buzzing in his head, after he went and got a drink of water.

In the morning, Al and Rashe'm woke up early, and they had to wake Orrin up. Orrin had finally gone to sleep around 1:30, far later than he wanted to. Derreck and Liza weren't in the quarters when they were all finally awake, but they found some victuals on the counter, most probably left out for them by the two. After the small "continental breakfast", they were ready to leave, everything being packed. They headed for the door out of the building, and when it opened, Guaraha stood there, waiting for them. There was silence for a few seconds, but then, Guaraha, who didn't wait for the question that he was sure was about to come, said, "I came to see you all off..... but that's not the only reason." He put forth his left hand, which had been behind his back, and revealed a polished blue stone, similar to the white and purple ones in Orrin's pockets and the red in the possession of Rashe'm. Amazed reactions came out of all three of them. "I am sorry that I did not show this to you last night," continued Guaraha "but I was fighting with myself whether or not to show it.......... It belonged to Meru. It is my last reminder of who she was, a Dragoon. From what I heard from her, the appearance of the Dragoon spirits meant that they were needed again. When I saw the red stone last night, I knew. But, here," he handed the blue stone to Al "I want you to have it, for whoever is chosen by it as the next Dragoon." Al took the stone, almost unwillingly, not wanting to tear a memory away from a man. He didn't hand it over to Orrin, though, he was going to hold onto that one, since Guaraha was a close friend.

"And as another request," Guaraha continued after Al put the stone in his pocket "I want my children to go with you on your journey. I believe they will be very usefull, and I want them to experience a journey like their mother had, many years ago." At this, Derreck and Liza came up from behind the three, taking them by surprise. Liza said "I know we are going to have a lot of fun.", but Derreck said, "That is what I am afraid of." almost without any emotion. The party was now up to five, and Al said to Guaraha, "Thank ya, Guaraha, my friend. I'll make sure that they aren't harmed." Guaraha then said, turning to leave, "No, it is I who thank you, for being there for me." They all watched as Guaraha flew back to the tree-building, and then a cloud of silence fell upon them.

No one said anything until Liza said, "Should we not be going now?" The rest snapped out of the staring-into-space mode and walked down the street leading to the gate out of the forest. Somehow, without anyone noticing, Liza was at the front of the group again, leading to the destination. When Al caught on, he said, "I believe we can find our way out of here." Liza, with a foolish face, said, "Sorry, force of habit, I guess." She slowed her walking until she was walking next to Orrin. Orrin then noticed that Derreck had been walking at his right for awhile, while Liza was on his left. For some reason, his thoughts suddenly turned to the Dragoon spirits in his pockets, with the white stone in his left pocket and the purple in his right.

When everyone was back in the forest after passing through the gate, which Orrin found incredibly enjoyable the second time through, the five stood where they had the day before. Al said, "Okay, we have a few days before the ship leaves from Furni, which is about how long it will take to get there. I say that we move and keep moving, only resting for when we set up camp at night. If that works, we might have a day to spare." Once out in an open area, Al started looking for a path that would take them all south, towards Furni. Using the moss on the trees, he found the path to take. Now, the group was five members strong, four spirits found with two possibly in the near future.