Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Chain of Shadows: The Dark Triforce ❯ One Day In Hyrule ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Zelda. I only own my original characters and story.

It was a long, long time ago. The lush kingdom of Hyrule was flourishing and enjoying a long era of peace.

However, a dreadful force was brewing within the planet’s core. Just when the people of this blessed land thought that all would remain tranquil, this horrid darkness arose and assailed the planet.

This darkness, known to Hylians as The Shadows, ravaged Hyrule, raining destruction down upon the kingdom and its neighboring lands. Many a brave warrior rose to defend their homeland from the Nightmare, but all met tragic ends. With their fate seemingly sealed, Hyrule’s final days seemed to be at hand...

But, the people’s prayers were answered. A young hero rose up against The Shadows, wielding a blade and power delivered unto him by the Goddesses and the Picori. This warrior, displaying both unparalleled wisdom and courage, defeated The Shadows and gave the shaken land the peace it so desperately needed.

This young man was hailed as a hero, bestowed with the title of Hero of Men by those he saved. However, by a terrible turn of events, the hero vanished, his weapons taken and sealed away, and lastly, his true name erased from history. None to this day know what became of this hero.

The Shadows was sealed away but its fearsome essence still envelopes the planet, keeping its stranglehold over the land and its people, silently influencing the events of the world. For as long as people can remember, all things have been connected, chained together by The Shadows.

Its only a matter of time before the hero returns to set things right...

A soul waits in utter silence...

An incomplete life...

A world of ignorance...

The eye shies away...

Chain of Shadows: The Dark Triforce
Chapter 1: One Day In Hyrule

It began as a beautiful summer day, but things had quickly turn for the worst. An order was sent out by the princess of Hyrule to find and kill a young man on sight, an order much of the army was simply shocked about. The individual they were to seek out, the thought of him ever committing a heinous act never crossed the minds of any of the soldiers. But they knew the truth upon seeing their princess and, though he had been like a dear friend to them, they had their orders and couldn’t decline them.

It wasn’t even noon yet when the soldiers began to pour out of the castle, filtering out in all directions to ensure the safety of the castle and its inhabitants. A large forest grew just outside the main castle gates, the area where most soldiers expected the attack. They even received word that their target had been driven into the forest by other Hylian soldiers earlier that morning.

In the shadowy thicket, a young male rushes about, using the thick trunks of the trees to hide himself from view, his boots crunching about the fallen leaves and twigs littering the ground. He was near the edge of the forest and he could see the soldiers lined up outside. Scratching his head in wonder, he grips the trunk of the nearest tree and ascends atop the tree’s limbs. Sticking his head out above the treetops, he shields his eyes from the glaring sun with his hand.

The young man was Link, a handsome young boy at the age of fifteen, tall and skinny with dirty blonde hair draped before his dark blue eyes. His hair flowing in the wind bothered him so he took out his pine green colored stocking cap and applied it to his head, all the while keeping a watch on all the soldiers’ movements. His clothes and cap both matched the hue of the leaves surrounding him so maybe they wouldn’t be able to spot him.

The soldiers had ceased movement and had their weapons drawn. Personal feelings had to be set aside so that they could execute their objective without fail. Silence filled the soldiers’ ears who keep a vigilant watch over the area, but when a rustling breaks this quiet state, archers raise their bow and arrows, prepped to fire. Some of the soldiers tense up as a figure slowly exits the bushes but are disappointed, yet relieved, that it’s only a deer.

“It’s Link!!” a soldier cries out from amongst the mass of soldiers.

And just when he thought his makeshift camouflage was working. Taking a deep breath, the young teen leaps across the treetops and lunges out over the waiting group below. Suddenly, a strange whistling fills his ears and he notices dozens of arrows coming at him. He takes hold of the azure sword hilt behind him, withdrawing the blade of evil’s bane upon the arrows. With amazingly quick slashes the several dozen arrows fall to the dirt road beneath him just before he lands.

Exchanging their bows for swords, the soldiers rush Link but the young warrior is quick to parry the oncoming blades and sends them recoiling with a spin attack. His superior skills gain him the upper hand with the soldiers outside the castle gates, but the soldiers had locked the large wooden gates, preventing his entry..

He takes notice that some of the soldiers had some bombs with them so he now had the chance to blow his way in. Lighting the explosive, he hurls it with all his strength at the gate from a safe distance until a fiery blast splinters the wooden gate to pieces. Sprinting down the path in the courtyard, he dispatches any guards that get in his way until he reaches the front doors, a swift kick knocking them open and throwing the guards behind them to the floor. They really weren’t worth his time so he ignores them and dashes up to the top level of the castle.

It was eerily quite in the upper levels. There wasn’t a single soul in the area and the incredible silence was a bit creepy. But one thing did catch Link’s attention as he made his way upstairs. All along the carpeted floor were drops of blood that led the way upstairs.

Somewhere up on the top floor, the trail suddenly ceases. But that didn’t matter. Link knew quite well where his destination was. He took his steps cautiously, expecting to be attacked by surprise at any moment. When he reaches his destination, he lowers his guard slightly, not expecting anymore soldiers. It wasn’t like them to leave the entire castle itself abandoned. Maybe it was Zelda who ordered it. But, where was she anyway?

That could wait till later. The hallway had become dimly lit as it came closer to the final doorway. From the crack under the door, a golden radiance spilled out, giving the hallway a least a bit of light. Link slowly creaks the door open, and peering inside, he smiles when his eyes fall upon the holy relic, the Triforce. Link takes a few quick looks outside before he steps inside, taking a place before the relic.

“Good thing she just left it out here in the open,” Link mutters to himself. He goes forward to grab the sacred item, intent on taking it far from the castle until he hears a terrible, vengeful yell that causes him to halt.

“Link!!” a woman’s shrill voice echoes in the young man’s head.

Terrified, he spins around and comes face-to-face, with Zelda who stands in the doorway with a bow ready, the arrow aimed directly for Link’s heart. It was her eyes that he couldn’t get out of his mind. He had never seen such rage from within her blue eyes. It was truly terrifying to see her like this.

Without hesitation holding her back, Zelda releases the arrow, sending it zipping through the air towards Link. Just before the metal tip touches his shoulder, the whole arrow glows fiercely. The young man’s pained cries echo in the room as the arrow shoots into his flesh, exiting halfway through his shoulder. Before he could recover, Zelda releases another arrow, this time at his chest. Yet, this time it hits him so sharply that it successfully tears straight through his body, the blood-soaked weapon piercing the wall behind him.

“Zelda. . .” he chokes out softly. “But, why did you do this?” Link reaches a hand out to her but he couldn’t even make her out clearly. He was beginning to feel a numbness spread throughout his body and his vision was blurring. His strength left him, leaving him too weak to remain standing. As he was there on his hands and knees, blood dripping from the hole in his chest, he looks up to the princess. She was injured. He could see the blood staining the front of her pink dress. Before a single word could pass his lips, he blacks out and hits the floor.

In the past, Link and Zelda had been the best of friends, but on this very day, Link attempted to assassinate Zelda. Nobody knew why or what could have caused this, but Zelda immediately gave the order to kill Link. The chance to end Link’s life fell into her lap, an opportunity she would not squander. Seven years of friendship had come to an end in that moment.

In a tower of the castle, a man clad in black sits before a window, spinning a red lotus between his fingers. Looking down upon the unsuspecting city, he thought of all the people who had no clue as to the events that have unfolded in the castle. Silence fills the room besides the cries of surviving soldiers outside until the wooden door creaks open behind him. Light footsteps echo in the room, growing ever closer to the seated man.

Another man in black stops next to the sitting figure, joining him in looking outside. With a bit of uncertainty, the first man peers up at his companion. From beneath his cloaked visage, he watches the man’s mouth articulate the words he had been anxious to hear.

“The soul of the hero shall be reborn.”