Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Happy Nation ❯ Remember ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Happy Nation
By: Julie Frasier.
Rated: T (teen). Rated for content.
Word Count: 737 (including Heading and Subheadings).
Chapter Count: 1.
Page Count: 2.
Summary: A young boy sets off on a journey to find himself in the aftermath of his mother's death. On his way he encounters some friends and some foes. At the age of only 13, he leaves the place of his birth—for the first time—as a boy; and he finds himself maturing—slowly—into a monster.
Chapter One: Remember
He was an only child. A boy of merely 13 short years. It seemed to him that his life had not, yet, begun… when it happened. His entire world died that day. He remembered the event clearly in his mind as it burned a permanent resting place in his memory.
She had been his entire world. For, after his father died, his mother was all he had left to live for… to love. He had always intended to protect her. He reassured her often that he would never let anything happen. His promise that was once truth had mutated into lies. True lies, it seemed, in the eyes of a stranger. But not in his, for all he could see was his mistakes.
(Flashback)
It was the early afternoon of June 6, 1619, the thirteenth anniversary of his birth. He had been outside chopping firewood when she called him inside to her. Her voice had sounded weak and fragile, but he paid that no mind. He had simply concluded that she was tired from the sleepless nights as of late. If only it had been that simple.
His mother had been very ill for some time, but she refused to tell her son. She laid there in her death-bed and he did not know.
“My son.” She said weakly, holding out her shaking hands for his.
He took her hands in his and answered softly. “Yes, Mother? Do you need something, anything?” He was determined to retrieve everything that his mother wished for. Sadly, that would not be enough.
She smiled and a slight flicker of light shown in her pale, gaunt face. “Take good care of yourself, my son. Never allow your light to fade; even when the greatest darkness threatens it. And, always know that… I love you so much.” She gripped his hands in hers for a moment, then her eyes went wide for a short moment. And just as fast as the light had appeared; so did it vanish as she closed her eyes and allowed herself to be sucked into an empty world of darkness.
His mother had died that day, a woman of merely 40 years, laying motionless upon the white cotton sheets. Holding her sons hands, as hers went cold with death.
He had checked for any signs of life she had left. Anything that meant she was still there. Tears welled in his silvery-blue eyes for the reality of his mother's death. He leaned over her unmoving body, clutching her lifeless form to his. He was terrified that letting go meant accepting her passing. He did not accept it. There was a new emotion within him: a mixture of grief, agony, and anger. All the pains of the past, present, and future seemed to now combine themselves within his broken soul. He would be forever haunted by this unforgettable haze of loneliness.
`I am alone. I have no one.'
(End Flashback)
He now sat in the chair next to his mother's bedside, his knees up to his chest with his thin arms wrapped tightly around them. His face was hidden behind his bony knees and his long, blond hair draped over them in a thin curtain. He was not very tall, and he did not look it, but he was well fed—enough to keep him alive, at least.
He came from a poor family of just two. There was never much to eat or drink. He did not grow up in a village, but on a small farm in the `middle of nowhere.'
As he sat, he thought of what he could have done. `Would it have been different if I had known? Why did she not tell me? Did she not trust me with the knowledge that she was ill?' He looked at his mother's pale face and a tear fell down his cheek. “Why, Mother?” He asked her lifeless form. “Why couldn't you tell me?” The tears were flowing at a more even rate now and he began to yell. “WHY!” He cried at her. “I do not understand. Didn't you love me enough to stay?”
He waited silently for a short time and then when he got no answer from anything, he replaced his head in its former place and cried himself to sleep. Allowing the nearly unbearable dreams to flow in his mind for the entirety of the night.