Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Rebirth of Destiny ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Darkness. Everywhere. He tries to find some way to describe it. The moonless shadows of a clouded country night don't come close, nor does the lack of light behind closed eyes. He knows even the depths of the earth wouldn't be the same. It is darker. Not just in terms of sight. Feeling, too. It is oppressing, almost flattening.

He realizes the darkness isn't the worst of it. It is the pure lack of existence. He is nothingness. No pain, no sensation. Only thoughts. No, that isn't right. Only feelings. Feelings of oppressing nothingness.

Dark, then light. His mind is incapable of grasping the speed at which it changes. A loud sound, familiar yet foreign. He realizes that it is something he hasn't done in a long time, and his screams stop. The anger at himself fades quickly. It's not like any of this counts as normal. He tries to look, but his sight has not returned. But the feelings have changed. No longer dark. No longer oppressing. Light, warmth, hope. Not the emotion. The being. As the pleasant existence seeps in, he feels again. He turns, and he feels his body respond.

But nothing is there. The color around him makes it seem as if he is trapped in a world of pure sky. The soft blue is somehow reassuring. He looks around. The question surfaces of how there is light without a source, but he pushes it aside. Once again, it's not like... he pauses in his thoughts. Something is tugging at him. Or at his soul. Right now, he thinks those might be the same thing.

He turns and sees streams of light converging on a single growing point. The glowing white lines are as thin as single strands of hair. He tries to get a closer look, and feels himself drifting towards it. It seems to be forming a shape...

~*_-_*~

Voices... not again. She never invited them. Yet, this time something seems different. Calming, somehow ethereal. Even stranger, they seem both aware and unafraid of her. One seems more aware of her than the others. She had never allowed herself to believe in guardian spirits, no matter what that woman said, but this voice gave her a feeling of gentle protection. One she could not remember having ever felt before.

She feels a gaze on the back of her left hand. No, not a gaze... more like a focus of energy. Energy from both without and within. She looks at it, but something washes over her mind, clouding her perceptions. A feeling of... she hated not having the right word. She clenches her fist in frustration and whatever had been there is gone.

The voices again. Only now she realizes she can't understand them. Could she before? The answer remains just beyond her reach. It annoys her. As her anger rises, so does the intensity of one the voices. It seems to be screaming. Anger seems to fuel a large part of its volume, but that isn't the main source. It sounds almost as if it is in pain. Whatever the reason for the screams, they are powerful. She pushes away her rising fear, not allowing herself to back down.

A second voice surpasses the first. It addresses her briefly, then seems to converse with someone else. It sounds maternal, and as if it were lovingly scolding its child. Her eyes widen as an image flashes. A green outfit... what did it look like? It is gone, and she remembers only the color.

A third voice. Guiding... but not the protecting one she first heard. She turns away; She doesn't care anymore. Where is she? She wants to leave. The original voice then reappears. Wait... is that her voice? No... it's too regal, and far too peaceful. It says something. Something she understands, at least in part. Three words in particular ring out, but the rest are somehow muddled. Something to do with wisdom, courage, and power...

She opens her mouth. She still wants to leave, but her curiosity is rising. She feels a presence behind her. Four strong energies in front of her seem to turn away. She glances towards the new energy and sees a shadowed figure. She takes a fighting posture and suddenly feels as if she is falling.

~*_-_*~

Blood. He has never smelled decaying bodies and burnt flesh, but something in his mind tells him that is what he is smelling. His vision is red. Blood red. He can see nothing but that color. It sickens him. He feels a dark voice, an evil presence. But it isn't coming from around him... it feels as if it is coming from within him.

Again? The darkness is reaching for him again? He feels the warmth of tears roll down his face, the taste of salt entering his lips. The tears are born of fear, unadulterated fear. This presence is growing stronger. He can't seem to shake it off. Not that he had ever been able to, but it is more persistent than usual. It is getting much stronger as of late. He doesn't know what, but something is approaching, something he feels he has no power to...

Cackling. Evil laughter. He knows that it is caused by the thought of power. He doesn't want power... but something inside him argues with that claim. It tells him he has been chosen by power, that he has no choice but to accept it. He shouts at it, telling it to go away. If blood, death, and agony are the price of power, he doesn't want it. If denying it means his death... if his death would save the people around him, no matter how much they hated him... he would gladly take death. He would take anything to be free of this darkness. The laughter echoes again, burning into his skull... again... louder... stronger...

~*_-_*~

Courage... the shape wavers. A voice enters his head. "Your Courage is not great enough."

Wisdom... the shadow reaches for her. The gently protecting voice rings out. "Fear not; the Wisdom is part of you."

Power... he claps his hands over his ears, willing the darkness to leave. Its refusal is punctuated by words. "Power has chosen you. You may not want it, but it will... I will... be forced upon you."