Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess ❯ Beginings ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A.N.- None of these characters belong to me, they are the property of Nintento. Noticed a few spelling errors so I figued I better go through and fix that asap. Also if something seems weird with the page it could be because my vista program doesn’t like this site or something stupid like that. At any rate enjoy.


Chapter 1:Beginings

The Spirit’s Spring of Faron woods glittered brilliatly in the sunset this evening as Rusl and Link sat by it’s edge talking to each other.
“ Tell me…” Rusl said, “ Do you ever feel a strange sadness as dusk falls? They say it’s the only time when our world intersects with theirs…”
Link sat quietly waiting to see what it was that Rusl was getting at.
“ The only time we can feel the lingering regrets of spirits who have left our world. That is why lonliness always pervades the hour of twilight…”
“ I see…” Link said, not taking his eyes off the glimmering spectacle before him.
“ But enough talk of sadness…” Rusl said, moving on to the true point of the conversation, “ I have a favor to ask of you Link.” Link turned and looked up at him now, interested to find out what this favor might be. “ I was supposed to deliver something to the royal family of Hyrule the day after tomorrow…”
“ Isn’t that the thing Mayor Bo asked you to do?” Link asked.
“ Yes, it was a task set to me by the mayor, but would you go in my stead?”
Link sat in silence, shocked by what it was that Rusl was asking of him. Rusl took note of his reaction and adjusted his sitting position so that he could better look Link in the eye.
“ You have…never been to Hyrule, right?”
“ Right,” Link said, nodding, “ What’s it like there?”
“ In the Kingdom of Hyrule there is a great castle, and around it is a Castle Town, a community far bigger than our little village…”
“ Wow…I never knew that there could be a place so big…”
“ And far bigger than Hyrule is the rest of the world the gods created,” Rusl said, smiling at Link’s niavete’, “ You should look upon it all with your own eyes.”
Glancing around at the deepening shadows Rusl stood up and brushed the dirt away from the seat of his pants.
“ It’s getting late…” he said, beckoning Link to stand up as well, “ We should head back to the village. I will talk to the mayor about this matter.”
Link stood up and gazed off into the distance for a moment. Never had he even dreamed of leaving the village for something as important as this.
But the late hour left no time for day-dreaming. He took Epona’s reigns in his hand and followed Rusl out of the woods. They walked in silence as they crossed the bridge that spanned Ordon Gorge and Rusl locked the gate to the woods behind them.
As they walked past the Spirit’s Spring of Ordon Link gave it a passing glance and felt a strange tugging at his heart that he didn’t understand. He gave it little thought however and kept on walking behind Rusl.
Once they reached Link’s house on the outskirts of the village Rusl said goodbye and left Link to his business while he went to join his wife and son who were waiting for him at the entrance to the village. His son, Collin, turned and waved to Link before they left. Link smiled in response and patted Epona on the side of her neck.
“ Can you believe it girl?” he said, “ We might get to go to Hyrule!”
As if sensing his excitement Epona tossed her head and whinnied. Smilling Link patted her neck again and climbed the ladder into his house.

Once he was inside one of the village girls came and led Epona away the Spirit’s Spring.
As soon as she was out of sight however Fado, Link’s friend and fellow ranch hand came running up to his house. He cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted up to the open window.
“ Hey! Link! You there?”
Hearing him Link leaned out the window and shouted back.
“ Yeah, I’m here Fado!” he said, “ What do you need?”
“ Hey, you mind helpin’ me herd the goats? They ain’t listenin’ to me lately!”
“ Sure, not a problem,” Link said, nodding and pulling his head back in the window.
Fado nodded in satisfaction and was about to head back towards the ranch when he noticed that Epona was missing.
“ Hey,” he said, “ Where’s Epona?”

Link carefully climbed back down the ladder from his house to the ground below and noticed that Epona was no longer where he had left her.
“ Hey, Fado…” he said, “ Where’s Epona?”
“ How should I know?” Fado said, “ Anyways, hurry on up and bring Epona with you!”
Fado waved goodbye for now and headed back for the ranch before any of the goats ended up getting loose.
Sighing to himself Link headed for the only possible place where Epona could be. And if he was right Ilia would be there with her.

Just as he had expected Ilia was with Epona in the Spirit’s Spring. As he approached her however he found himself spellbound by the spectacle. Ilia looked absolutely radient in the sunset, and with the water glittering all around her she almost looked as if she was glowing.
She stepped forward towards Epona and gently touched her on the nose. Hearing Link’s footseps in the wet sand she turned and looked at him.
“ Oh, hi, Link,” she said, glancing at Epona and then back at him, “ I washed Epona for you!”
“ …Thanks Ilia,” Link said, smiling.
“ Epona is a girl too, so you have to treat her nice like one!” Ilia said, teasing Link a little, “ Oh, but listen, Link… Could you do something for me?”
“ Sure Ilia,” Link said, feeling himself start to blush, “ What do you need?”
“ Can you use a piece of grass to play that song for me? You know, the one that Epona likes?”
Link smiled and nodded. He walked over the the clump of grass that strangely enough grew in the shape of a horseshoe. Picking a piece he put it to his lips and played Epona’s song.
Hearing the melody Epona whinnied and tossed her head hapily.
“ It’s sucha nice melody…” Ilia said hapily, “ Epona looks happy too. Well, she’s all prettied up now, so I suppose you can rise her back. But don’t you make her do too much, OK?”
“ Sure thing Ilia,” Link said, climbing up into Epona’s saddle and riding her back into the village.

Link rode Epona slowly through the village taking in the sights and smells of his home. No matter how long he may come to live in thise place he would always love it more than any other. The lone waterwheel, the one small store with its limited stock, the creek that trickled its way through the village, and even the ever-present smell of the livestock and hay. He wouldn’t trade any of these things for anything at all.
As he made his way towards the ranch the other villagers smiled and said hello to him. Link returned their kind hellos with his own. Yes this was where he belonged.

Fado greeted him as he rode into the ranch where the goats were busy grazing amongst themselves.
“ Sorry to get you over here in such a hurry, Link!” Fado said.
“ Really Fado,” Link said, “ It’s no big deal.”
“ Yeah, well…These guys have been awful skittish lately. They won’t listen to a word I say. Sorry to ask, bud, but how’s about you an’ Epona herd ‘em into the barn real quick?”
“ Sure, not a problem.”
“ Much obliged there, bud! OK, then, go on an’ herd all these little scamps into the barn for me!”
Link nodded and set to work. Bringing Epona up to a canter he coralled all the goats together into one large group and steered them into the direction of the barn. One got loose along the way, but he let it slide until all the rest were where they were supposed to be. Once they were he went back out and collected the stagler while Fado made sure the goats were safely in their pens.
“ Link, Epona…” Fado said, at the entrance to the barn, “ Much obliged to both of y’all! I can cover everythin’ tomorrow without havin’ to trouble you, so just sit back an’ relax bud! Oh…but, uh, how ‘bout today? Wanna practice with the fences?”
“ Sure, why not?” Link said, patting Epona’s side, “ We can always use the extra practice just in case. Right girl?”
Epona snorted and tossed her head slightly in response.
“ Just wait a spell, bud,” Fado said, trotting over to where he kept the jumping fences, “ I’ll get them fences set up.”
Link dismounted Epona and double checked the goat corrals while Fado set up the fences. He did this because whenever Fado did things on his own around the ranch the goats had a tendancy to break loose. He had just finished double checking the last one when Fado called out to tell hime that the fences were all set up and ready.
Mounting up again he urged Epona into her fastest gallop and ran her around the field a few times until he felt they had practiced enough. When they were finished he steered her towards the gate leading out of the ranch and jumped it.
Together they headed back home for a night of well-deserved rest.