Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess ❯ Talo's Capture ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A.N.- None of these characters belong to me, they are the property of Nintento. Noticed a few spelling errors so I figued I better go through and fix that asap. Also if something seems weird with the page it could be because my vista program doesn’t like this site or something stupid like that. At any rate enjoy.


Chapter 3: Talo’s Capture

“ Wait!” Link called after them, “ Don’t go into the woods! They’re not safe!”
But the kids were already gone. Cursing himself for not seeing the monkey before Talo Link chased after them.
Not far from his house he spotted Beth standing off to the side of the path, breathing heavily.
“ Beth,” he said, “ Where are Talo and Malo?”
“ Talo and Malo went chasing like crazy people after that monkey,” she said, “ I can’t keep up with those two…”
“ Catch your breath and head back home,” he said, “ I’ll find them and bring them back.”
Not far from where he had found Beth Link spotted Malo standing somewhat calmly next to the gate to Ordon Gorge that Rusl should’ve securely locked the day before.
“ Malo,” he said, “ Where’s Talo? Don’t tell me he chased that monkey into the deeper part of the woods…”
“…They went that way,” Malo said, “ The rest is up to you, Link…”
Link slapped his hand against the side of his leg in frustration. Hadn’t their parents told them at least a thousand times to never go into the forest?!
“ All right Malo,” he said, stepping out onto the bridge, “ You head on home, I’ll make sure to bring Talo back safe.”
Running at full speed now Link crossed the bridge and reached the entrance to Faron Woods in record time. When he got there though he notice that the gate was still locked and Talo couldn’t have climbed it on his own. The gate itself was too tall for him to climb without loosing precious time that Talo might not have.
Spotting some horse grass nearby he picked a piece and played Epona’s song, calling her to his side. She was there in a flash and he quickly mounted her and urged her into a gallop to jump the fence.
He didn’t see Talo in the area surrounding the Spirit’s Spring, and doubted that Talo would hide from any monsters in a place protected by the spirit itself. So he moved on, but found that he wouldn’t be able to take Epona any farther than that. For directly in front of him was a dark cave that even he might not be able to navigat through without a lantern.
Dismounting from Epona he patted her gently on the rump and told her to head on home and wait for him. Tossing her head and snorting she did just that.
Link took another good look at the cave in front of him and knew that he would need a lantern for sure if he was to go in and find his way back out. Glancing off to his right he saw that there was a person sitting on a rock outside of their house. Link couldn’t believe his luck. Maybe this person would have a lantern that he could borrow.
“ Excuse me…” he said, trotting up to the person.
“ Whoa! An Ordonian!” he said, waving cheerily, “ Hey, gut! Listen, I’m not sure you should be wandering around the woods without a lantern. Just because it’s daylight doesn’t mean it’s safe. There are a ton of caves and dank spot around here that get pretty dark even in the middle of the day.”
“ Yeah, I know. That’s why I wanted to ask you if you had a…”
“ Here! Go on, guy,” he said, holding a lantern out towards Link, “ Take this!”
Link took the lantern catiously. Rusl had told him about some on the people outisde of the village. How sometimes when they gave you something they expected something else in return.
“ Um, thank you….”
“ Coro,” he said, still smiling brightly, “ See I sell lantern oil here…I’m trying to drum up sales by giving away free lanterns! It’s a business tactic, guy! See, as long as you’ve got oil to fuel your lantern you can light your way and set fire to stuff. They’re the best!”
Link was slightly annoyed by how this person treated him like he didn’t know how to operate a lantern. It must’ve been the smell of livestock on his clothes or just the general air of a farm about him that made this Coro think that he didn’t know his left from his right.
“ Well, thank you Coro,” he said, trotting away.
“ Sure thing, guy!” Coro called back happily.
Right as he was about to enter the cave a baba plant reared up and took a snap at Link. Caught completely by surprise the plant nipped at his shoulder and drew a little blood. Backing away quickly Link fastened the lantern to his belt cord so that he could have his hands free and drew his sword.
It took two hits for the plant to die, and when it did it exploded into a puff of black smoke just as the spider had. Ignoring the feeling of unease that was starting to come upon him Link continued on into the cave. And came upon Talo’s broken play sword not far from the entrance.
“ Talo…” he whispered, picking up the toy. It was then that he noticed tracks in the ground. They were big and clearly not human.
He ran the rest of the way through the cave dispatching the creatures that reared up to attack him, and lighting any braizers he found so that he could save on lantern oil on the way back. Once he got turned around in a side passage and ended up finding a 10-piece rupee. And he also made and interesting discovery. After defeating a creature sometimes a small red heart would pop out. It his picked it up his wounds would heal.
It seemed like forever when he finally found his way out of the cave and into the mist-enshrouded area of the forest. Link stopped dead in his tracks. The woods were teaming with all sorts of monsters. Baba plants, Kease, and purple Bokoblins. Creatures that normally weren’t even seen in this area of the Faron Providence. But he couldn’t let that deter him.
Link spotted the gate that led to the Forest Temple and headed straight for it, cutting down Bokoblins as soon as they came near him. One knocked his shoulder out of place with its club, but the heart that popped out of that quickly chased the pain away. Upon reaching the gate however Link found that the creatures had locked it.
He was growing more and more afraid for Talo’s saftey and didn’t have time to play these monsters’ games. But a quick survey of the area showed him another cave that was being guarded by two bokoblins. These creatures were not very smart.
Running to the cave and dispatching the two quards Link went inside. Inside of the cave it was very dark and Link found it somewhat difficult to see even with his lantern held out in front of him. That’s why he didn’t see the bokoblin until it was right on top of him with its club poised to strike. He managed to roll out of the way and avoid serious injury, but he still ended up with a long gash along the exposed area of his arm.
Wincing with the effort he killed the bokoblin and moved the light the two braizers he had spotted. Link was surprised when a chest suddenly appeared after lighting them. Curious about what might be inside Link pulled himself up on the ledge where it was, again wincing with the effort. Inside was the most unusual thing that he had ever seen. It was a large heart-shaped pice of crystal with a gold rim around the outside and what looked like a tiny red heart locked inside. He picked it up and nearly fell right off the ledge when it was absorbed into his body. After recovering from the initial shock Link noticed that he no longer had a gash on his arm and he felt even stronger than he had before. Strange as it was though he had to get back to rescuing Talo.
Hopping down from the ledge and opening the chest on the gound Link found the key to the gate and ran back to it as fast as he could. He unlocked the gate and killed the bokoblins on the other side with more ease than he had been able to before.
“ Woo! Hey! Woo! You’re super!”
Link looked around to find the source of the voice, but could only spot a bird perched beside what appeared to be and abandonded shop.
“ Now just buy something! Hey!” the bird squacked.
Cocking an eyebrow at the strange bird Link carried on.
At the foot of the winding path that led to the Forest Temple he finally spotted Talo. He was in a wooden cage with the monkey he had been chasing and flanked by tow bokoblins.
Link ran to their aide and quickly had the monsters defeated.
“ Help!” Talo said, while the monkey screeched and tugged at the bars, “ Get me out of here!”
“ Duck down Talo,” Link said, “ I’m going to break the cage!”
Planting his right foot Link performed a spin attack and shattered the cage. Talo cheered hapily at being free and the monkey jumped up and down with joy.

Link made sure to escort Talo the entire way out of the forest before stopping for a quick break.
“ If you hadn’t come, Link…” Talo said, staring down at the ground, “ Gee, me and that monkey would’ve gotten eaten probably! She’s actually a pretty nice gal, that monkey….”
“ Is she now?”
“ She tried to protect me, so we got captured together.Um, Link…” he said, looking up at him urgently, “ You’re not gonna mention this to my dad, are you?”
“ Well, Talo, I think he at least deserves to know what happenned…”
“ He’s always telling me to never, EVER go into the forest, ‘cause he says it’s dangerous…So you really can’t tell him! Really! You have to promise!”
“ All right Talo. I promise I won’t mention this to your dad.”
“ Thanks, Link,” Talo said, running off for home while Link stood there and watched him go.
“ Link!” Rusl called out, approaching him, “ My son told me Talo had disappeared into the woods and had not returned. I came as soon as I heard….But it looks like you have brought him home already….I apologize.”
“ For what?”
“ Such a task should not fall to you,” he said, pausing for a moment to glance back at the woods, “ Tell me, have you noticed how strange this wood seems lately?”
“ Yeah, I thought it was odd how those monsters just disapeared after defeating them like that,” Link said, as Rusl nodded in agreement.
“ I feel…uneasy about what might lie in wait…” Rusl said, “ Anyway, Link…Tomorrow is finally the day. You will be departing for Hyrule. I think it is a good thing I have given this task to you…Good luck! And return safely!”
“ Thanks, I think I might need it.”
“ If you are lucky, you may even get to meet Princess Zelda! Ah, haha!”