Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess ❯ Forest Temple ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A.N.- None of these characters belong to me, they are the property of Nintento. Noticed a few spelling errors so I figued I better go through and fix that asap. Also if something seems weird with the page it could be because my vista program doesn’t like this site or something stupid like that. At any rate enjoy.


Chapter 9: Forest Temple

Link held his lantern high above his head as he gazed around at the entrance to the temple. Massive carvings lined the walkway in, and the air felt as though none had disturbed it for hundreds of years. But this place was not without its dangers. For just like the rest of the land the temple was infested with monsters.
He killed the monsters that made to attack him with relative ease and noticed that the monkey that had helped him make his way through the poisonous mist had goten herself captured again. He freed her from her wooden cage and stood by watching as she scaled the vine-covered wall in front of him. From there she leaned over the edge and beckoned to him.
“ Hey! That’s the monkey that stole your lantern!” Midna said, “ Doesn’t it look like she’s beckoning you?”
“ It does actually…”
“ Aren’t you the popular one? Eee hee!”
Noticing that there were spiders eyeing him as if they dared him to try and climb up the vines Link pulled out his slingshot, which he found was already in his pouch where he needed it, to take care of them.
At the top of the wall the monkey continued to urge him forward. He obliged her and opened the path to the next room which had three new paths that he might be able to take. The two that were on his left and right were unreachable because the bridges that had once connected them to the raised platform in the center were no longer there.
He made to climb the stairs to the platform but had his path blocked by a large skulltula spider. Link aimed for the fleshy stomach of the creature and stabbed until it colapsed. Just as the Hero’s Shade had said he saw the oportunity to finish it off and performed the ending blow causing the spider to explode into black smoke.
With the skulltula no longer threatening him Link could easily figure out the mechanism that would allow him to move forward into the temple. Taking his lantern in hand he lit each of the braziers on the four corners of the platform. This caused the wooden steps to raise up and create a path for him.
Anxious for him to keep moving the monkey sped along to the next door directly in front of them. He went to her side to open the door, but first opened the chest on his right and opened that first. Inside was a map of what looked to be the temple he was in with a small yellow arrow marking the exact spot where he was standing. Curious about this he stepped to the left and was amazed when the arrow on the map moved marginally to the left as well.
“Dungeon map,” Midna whispered, giggling slightly.
Happy to have discovered something that would enable him to not loose his way in this strange place Link put the map into his item pouch and opened the door for him monkey friend.
They were now at the entrance to a wide, windy, gorge that only had a single rickety rope bridge spanning its length. With no apparent fear for t he lack of safe passage that the bridge appeared to present the monkey proceeded to virtually skip across the planks.At about halfway across however she stopped short and started screaching frightfully.
On the other side of the gorge an abnormally large baboon with what looked like one of the dark insects on its head hopped down the steps that were carved into the ground brandishing a boomerang. The boomerang was enshrouded in a black mist and gathered energy as the babbon held it above his head to strike. When he released it it flew straight at the support ropes of the bridge; severing them all before returning to its weilder’s hands.
Link watched in horror as the monkey who had helped him tried in vain to reach land again before the bridge fell. He raced the the edge only to find that his little helper was climbing the wooden planks back to safety. Once there both she and Link breathed a sigh of relief.
“Oh! What’s going on? Has there been a monnkey fight?” Midna asked before noticing that the bridge was out, “Oh, no! Now, we can’t go any farther. We might as well go back.” As she was heading back into Link’s shadow she noticed the monkey beckoning to them again. “I don’t know what’s going on, but it seems like she wants to take you somewhere so maybe you should just follow her.”
“Right,” Link said, opening the door and following the monkey back into the room they were just in.
This time she headed towards the left and hung herself upside down from the middle of the old bridge’s support rope. She hung there for a moment then clapped her hands together impatiently.
“Oh, I see…” Link said, jumping off the platform.
The monkey easily caught him by the wrists and swung him over to the other side where he rolled with his momentum to prevent himself from getting hurt. His monkey friend landed next to him immediately after and pushed him to open the next door.
He nearly had heart failure when something leapt out at him from the darkness of the tunnel he now found himself in. And in his haste he sliced at it wildly, luckily landing a strike before he wound up hurting himself. The creature’s body rolled away from him and softly clunked against the wall where it propmtly explodes, revealing a secret passage.
“What in the world?” Link whisper in surprise.
“Bombling,” Midna answered giggling slightly.
Shaking his head at this new discovering Link figured that he might as well invesitate the room he had unintentionally found. There were only clay pots of varrying sizes inside that had likely been used in the old rituals. He was about to leave them be when he saw one of them move slightly. Curious, but cautios, he picked it up only to have it shatter in his hands and a small creature the likes of which he had never seen before fall out.
The creature had what looked like the body of a normal farmyard cukko but the head and neck of a Hylian with no hair nor ears. In addition it also had frightening red eyes like that of the wolf he had encountered earlier. But none of these things could have prepared him for when the creature started speaking.
“Phew! Out at last!” it said, turning to face hin, “Gracious…Once I got in there, I couldn’t squeeze out! You were a big help…Thanks!”
“Um…you’re welcome, I guess,” Link said, “But all I really did was pick up the pot. What were you doing in there anyway?”
“I’ve been looking for something in here, you see. Gracious, yes! You must need something in here, too. Shall we try working together for a while, fellow adventurer?”
“I guess so,” he said, not minding the idea of another tag-a-long, but also knowing that he really didn’t need one, “I’m Link, what’s your name?”
“Oh, gracious, I’m Oocca! You may not think I look like much, but I can be quite helpful! I can even warp you out of here if you want to leave! So don’t think of me as a burden! Now, let’s get started!”
Link ignored Oocca for the most part as she trailed after him clucking quietly to herself. She kept out of his way and like she had said, wasn’t a burden at all.
He proceeded down the tunnel burning the spiderweb that blocked his path as he went and found himself in a cavern with water and a woden bridge with pieces missing out of it so that he would have to jump in order to get across safely.
There were only a few deku babas and walltulas to take care of in this room so it was easily enough the safest room that he had been to yet.
The monkey skipped across the standing sections of bridge with ease and went over to a door that was locked for the moment.
“I’ll find the key,” he told the monkey, “You just stay here and wait for me.”
She nodded once and watched as Link hopped towards an unlocked door that they had passed on the way there.
Link opened the door and found himself once again at the windy gorge, but more to the right than where he had been before. For a moment he stood there trying to figure out what to do about finding the key to the locked door when the wind caused the platform between the tow sections of land to shift. Now it was laid lengthways, spanning the expanse before him. Before the winde could cause it to change again and leave him stranded Link quickly sprinted across to the other side.
Once there he was able to gain access to the chamber. However he wasn’t able to go anywhere in that chaber as the platform was not laid in a fashion that enabled him to do so. Luckily enough there was a chest to his left that contained the key he needed.
Putting it in his pouch he headed back to where the monkey, and apparently Oocca, were waiting. Once there he unlocked the door and followed her in.
Inside was one of her monkey friends in a cage preched atop a totem pole. It pulled at the bars of the cage in a feeble attempt to break itself free. The Monkey with Link jumped right off the ledge and climbed up the totem pole, pulling vigorously on the outside of the cage bars.
Realizing the the monkey must have brought him here to help her friend her crossed the rope bridge in order to head down to where they were only to have it collapse behind him. Regardless he went down to where the totem pole stood and watched as the monkey threw herself against it. It barely even budged, but Link could see what it was that she was trying to do.
He backed up a little bit and rammed into it himself. The cage wasn’t knocked free, but it did rattle around a bit. So he backed up and tried it again; this time he had success. The cage fell down and broke on impact with the ground, freeing the monkey inside.
The monkey hopped up sharply after being freed from the cage, rubbing its sore backside where it had landed hard. Freeing the monkey however had an unexpected result as two bokoblins came hopping over the wall and straight towards Link.
He dispatched them with ease and turned his attention back to the monkeys; who were at the moment chirping and urging him to follow them. The made him follow them to where the bridge had fallen where first the lady monkey hung herself upside down from the rope support and then swung her friend to another section of the rope where he too hung upside down.
Link knew what they wanted him to do from his previous swinging adventure with the lady monkey so he put away his sword and shield and allowed himself to be effortlessly swung across the gap.
From that room he followed the monkeys back to the very first room he had entered. That is, the one with the four lit braziers on the raised platform. There they urged him to use their help and cross the area directly in front of him that was also missing its rope bridge.
The door on this side of the room was blocked by a large web, yet posed no problem for Link while he still had his lantern full of oil.
This next room that he entered boasted a staircase to high walkways, and two new creatures that he had only heard of; but had never seen before himself. One was the baba serpent which seemed to take great pleasure in stiking out at Link when he least expected it. And the other was the deku like that repelled all of his attempts to kill it. So after dispatching the baba serpents Link climbed the staircase to the walkways above.
From up above he looked down at the deku like and noticed that just by leaning his head over the edge caused it to open its mouth wide in the anticipation of a meal. Glancing back at the bomling that was watching him warily he had an idea on how to get rid of the creature waiting to make him its meal.
Turning the bombling into a regular bomb he gathered it up and threw it over the edge at the deku like. The unsuspecting creature greedily reached up and grabbed the bomb out of the air and started to chew on it. It wasn’t long after it had done that that the bomb exploded in its stomach; killing it instantly and causing it to shrivel up.
Smiling at having discovered how to kill the creatures Link jumped the gap that he deku like had been guarding and went over to a vine-covered wall. Using his slingshot he killed the walltullas that were blocking his ascent and climbled up. On this highest level Link found the other door that he was looking for and hurridly made his way to open it.
Inside was a vast chamber with a monkey imprisoned behind a locked door on the opposite side of where he was standing. The key was on the ground directly in front of him, but as he stepped to pick it up the largest deku plant that he had ever seen scooped it up with its head and drobbed it into its sack. Then it turned back to him snapping fuiously.
Seeing that his only way to get the key back and free the monkey would be to kill the creature Link readied his sword and shield and approached cautiously.
Every so often it would lunge out at him and knock into his sheild causing him to skid back a bit. But more often than not Link was able to use this opportunity to land a strike on it until at last the head collapsed onto the ground and dissintigrated into black dust. The sack into which it had dropped the key however remained and would not spit it back out. So Link went over to one of the bomblings he had noticed earlier and forced the sack to eat it. When it had; it like the head dissolved into black dust and left the key glimmering in the spot where the monster had been a moment earlier.
Taking the key in hand Link freed the monkey from its prison and led it out of the room.
Back in the staircase room Link noticed for the first time the small bit of light that was coming from around the edges of the boulder he had passed on his way to the vine covered wall. Taking a moment to kill the second deku like in the room Link carefully jumped down to the ground with the monkey following him.
He first of all investigated the treasure chest that the deku like had been guarding and discovered another heart piece like what he had found back in the Faron Woods before all of this strangeness. Link stood there with his eyes closed while the item became a part of him and filled him with new power and renewed vitality. It wasn’t until afterward that he turned to the monkey waiting patiently at his side.
“Wait for me by the door,” he told it, “I’ll be back in a moment.”
The monkey chirped once in response and hopped over to the closed door where it promptly sat down.
Confident that it would indeed wait for him Link ascended the stairs once more and changed the bombling at the top. Acting quickly he took it, jumped the gap, and threw it at the boulder just in the nick of time. The massive rock shattered, opening the path to him.
Link entered a dark, dank room with all manner or green moss growing on everything. There were two totem poled, one with a treasure test on top of it and the other with a simple clay jar. Straight down the center of the room was a tiled path with water on either side. On the far end there was what looked to be another contraption with stairs and lighting braziers with a monkey being held prisoner at the topmost level.
Making his way down the stairs to his right Link stopped momentarily when he thought he saw one of the tiles on the path move. Shaking his head he continued down, pausing again only to knock the chest off the top of the toem pole in the hopes that it held something that could be of use to him. Surprisingly enough it did; a small silver key.
After putting it in his item pouch Link headed towards the tile path, but ended up stopping a third time when he was certain that he saw the tile lift up and something underneath steal a glance at him. Keeping his eyes catiously glued to the other tiles Link made his way much more slowly along the left hand side of the path, avoiding two more of the tile creatures in the center who also popped up momentarily to look at him.
Once safely on the other side of the path Link continued to avoid the tiles in the center in case any more of the creatures were hiding underneath. Instead he worked his way around the outer perimiter of them lighting the unlit braziers as he went. This caused the platforms that made the stairs to rise up and create a path to the trapped monkey for him.
He climbed the steps and was immediately greeted by a skulltulla. Link killed with only a small scratch to show that he’d even fought the creature and freed the monkey from its prison.
Together they went back to the staircase room and met up with the monkey he had freed moments before. The threesome returned together to the room with the center hub where the lady monkey, her friend, and Oocca were waiting for them.
“All right,” Link said to the lady monkey, “I think I found everyone. What now?”
Motioning for Link and the other monkeys to follow her she skipped over to the first door she had wanted Link to go through and motioned for him to hurry up and open the door.
Once again in the windy gorge Link noticed that the support rope for the old bridge was still intact and knew immediately what it was that the monekys were planning.
Starting with the female they swung eachother into place and hung upside down, clapping their hands and waiting for Link to entrust himself into their care. Checking to make sure that his sword and shield were secured tightly on his back, and to give Oocca a relatively safe place to ride while he did this, Link took a deep breath and jumped out into the air. One right after the other the monkeys caught him and swung him to the next in line until finally he rolled into a landing on firm land once again.
After pausing for a moment to be sure that Oocca was still safe he turned back to the monkeys who were heading off into another direction.
“Thank you,” he said,calling out over the sound of the wind and waving to the female monkey who waved back at him in response.
Without further ado he opened the door in front of him and proceeded to his next challenge.
Link could tell that the baboon who had destroyed the bridge earlier was in the room as soon as he entered it. But what he didn’t expect was the door sudenly sealing shut behind him with an iron grate. Immediately drawing his sword and readying his shield Link spun around to see the baboon standing on the center totem pole in a ring of other identical structures.
Using the same boomerange that it had wielded with it had destroyed the bridge it let it loos and cut down tow baba serpents from the ceiling who fell to the ground and began inching their way towards Link with their jaws snapping hungrily. Screeching and patting his bottom in satisfaction it raised the boomerang again as if it was going to release it directly at Link.
It didn’t however, instead it started hopping from one totem pole to the next. Ignoring it for the moment Link smacked aside the two baba serpent first. By the time he had done so the baboon had settled on one of the poles and launched the boomerang at him. Link dodged it easily enough and rammed himself into the pole that his adversary was standing on. Knocked off balance the baboon failed to catch its weapon as it returned to him and was subsequetly stunned and knocked off the pole by it.
As it was laying stunned on the ground Link approached it and began slapping at its exposed bottom with the flat of his sword. He did this because he really didn’t want to seriously hurt the creature seeing as how it was really the insect on its head that was controlling its actions. After only three swats it hopped back up on its pole and simply continued what it had been doing before.
Link and the baboon contined the same routine of their fight for four more times before it had any real effect. For on the fourth time the baboon leaped up from where it had been laying down, clutching at its no-doubt sore bottom in pain. Screeching and hopping forward it managed to knock itself senseless on one of the totem poles. Laying flat on its back with its eyes closed the insect popped off its head and dissintegrated.
Once it was gone the baboon sat up, rubbing at its head and glancing around in confusion. Then it seemed to remember what had happenned and turned around to face Link with its hands covering its mouth in embarressment.
Screeching with shame it hopped away and climbed out of a hole high in the wall that Link was unable to follow it through.
“Ok, then,” Link said, putting his sword and shield back in the place on his back.
That’s when he noticed the boomerang the baboon had been using lying on the ground without the black aura covering it. He reaced down to pick it up when suddenly it started glowing green and hovering in a spinning motion directly in front of him.
“I am the Fairy of Winds who resides in this boomerang,” it said, shedding little flecks of green-glowing magical energy, “You have freed me from evil and I now have my true power back. Please…Take it with you, use it to aide your quest, and may both my power and my blessing go with you.”
“Thank you,” Link said, grateful for the first time as is some-what official status of a hero.
“If you focus power in your boomerang before releasing it, it will unleash the power of wind, aiding you in unforseen ways.”
With that said it spun around the room trailing a minature whirlwind behind it in a display of power before finally landing itself right into Link’s waiting hand.
“I bet even the monkeys should be satisfied now,” Midna said, seperating herself from Link’s shadow, “OK, let’s continue combing this place. We already found something good so let’s keep searching places we haven’t looked yet.”
“Right,” Link said, tucking the boomerang into his belt as Midna dissapeared again.
It took him a few minutes but Link at last figured out that in order to leave the room he had to use the gale boomerage as he’d thought to call it to turn the turbine above the locked door and raise the grate that was blocking his exit.
Outside at the gorge for the fourth time since entering the temple Link started looking for another path since the monkeys were no longer anywhere to be found. Glancing to his left he noticed a wooden platfor that was turned away from him at the moment but had a wind turbine in the center of it. Remembering what the fairy of winds had told him he charged up the power in the boomerang and launched it at the turbine.
The turbine spun when caught up in the boomerang’s winds and turned the platform so that Link could safely cross to the next section of land. And after catching the weapon Link made his way across only to find another caged monkey being guarded by a bokoblin. Without even thinking twice Link got rid of it and used the gale boomerang to sever the rope that held the cage suspended in the air.
The cage shattered on impact with the ground and the monkey hopped away, easily skipping across gaps Link would never have dared.
“Well, I guess there are still some monkeys you haven’t freed yet!” Midna said, sounding none-to-surprised, “At this point you should just save them al and see what you can get for it!”
“I suppose so,” Link said, using his new boomerang to create a safe passage forward.
Once again he found himself in the staircase room he’d been in before only now he rememberd something he had seen in the room with the strange tile creatures.
Delaying his advance through the temple momentarily Link went through the room of the tile creatures to the very back where he used his boomerang to snuff out all of the braziers. Doing this lowered all of the stair platforms and revealed a chest hidden in a small alcove behind them. Curious as to what was inside he opened it and found himself another heart piece.
After absorbing it he left the room and continued on until he was back in the room of the central platform. Glancing upward he noticed several jars and a treasure chest hanging from the ceiling by silvering skulltula webs. He charged up the power in his boomerang and launched it, severing the threads and sending the objects towards the ground. The jars shattered on impact but the chest looked no worse for wear.
One monkey still remained so it helped him reach the center platform where he gatherred up the rupees that had come out of the broken jars and opened up the chest for inspection.
Inside was a compas that truly didn’t look like anything special to Link, but apperently Midna saw worth in it.
“Well,” she said, putting her hands on her hips, “if it isn’t something useful! As long as you have that, you should be able to find where the captured monkeys are right?”
“I will?” Link asked.
“Sure,” she said, giggling and vanishing, “just take a look at your map now.”
He did as she suggested and found that in addition to the small arrow marking his position there were also small red dots in various room throughout the temple that could only have been the locations of the other monkeys.
After glancing at his map to find the only area he hadn’t been to yet Link set out. Back in the cavern of the stepping platforms he noticed a chest that was larger and more ornate than any other he had seen so far behind a gate that he couldn’t scale if he tried. There was however a clue to gaining access to the chest.
Four wind turbines were arranged in a square in front of the gate with a pale yellow ‘z’ pattern connecting them to each other. Taking the hint Link charged up the gale boomerange and willed it to hit the turbines in the order that he desired it to. When he felt that it had built up sufficient power he let it fly. Each of the turbines started spinning one right after the other in exactly the way Link wanted them to and the gate slide effortlessly open.
With the chest accessable Link moved forward to open it. Inside was the largest, most elaborate key that he had come across yet. Most that he’s found were just small simple silver ones, but his was bulky, black, and roughly the size of his forearm with a red sphere set in the center of the four corners that formed a diamond shape at the end.
Link was clueless at the moment as to what door this key unlocked but he put it into his item pouch for safe keeping nonetheless.
Outside at the wind gorge for what he vowed was going to be the last time it finally dawned on Link that he had taken this path before when he was searching for a key to unlock the door to where the first captive monkey had been held. The only difference now was that once in the chamber on the other side of the gorge he had a way to shift the platform to him.
Ignoring the passages that presented themselves on both his left and his right Link pressed forward to the entrance to another chamber directly in front of him.
This new room was the most expansive he’d been in yet. Just his normally quiet footsteps echoed throughout it several times before fading out into the darkness that stretched both above and below. Ahead of him the way was completely blocked and dropped off into an endless plumett. To his left was a sereis of the strange platforms that required wind power to move in any direction, and to his right was an enormous tree. This tree had only one thick branch remaining that stretched over the endless chasm and eight large fungal growths that looked strangely like platforms.
As he was noticing this the five monkeys he’d already freed came out from a hole in the wall and settled onto the fungus platforms with one on each.
“I guess in order for us to check the temple out completely, we need the help of the monkeys,” Midna said, taking note of the three empty fungus platforms.
“Looks that way,” Link agreed.
“Ah well…Let’s help the rest of them!”
Link rolled his eyes. Again with the ‘we’ when it was only him that was doing all of the hard work.
After giving his map a quick check he saw that two of the monkeys were in the chambers that he’d just past and one was in another directly to his left. Since he was already in this chamber he made his way to the vine covered wall leading to that chamber by switching the bridges around until finally arriving at his destination.
There he took out his slingshot and killed the walltullas that were blocking his asscent one after the other in rapid succession before scaling the wall. And at the summit was the entrance to the chamber he was trying to get to.
Inside this waterlogged room it was oddly quiet so Link drew his sword in preperation for an unexpected enemy to jump out. His paranioa was well placed as there were two baba serpents waiting for him just beyond the door. He killed them quickly enough and took in his surroundings for a moment.
Like the room of the tile creatures there was a path in the center with deep water on either side. But unlike the room of the tile creatures there was a wall with vines leading up it and a boulder blocking any ascent that might be made that way. There was also a treasure chest off to his left that was on a section of land too high for him to pull himself up if he were to try and swim to it. Inbetween him and the treasure chest there was a small landing that he could possibly jump across if it wasn’t for the deku like that had taken up residence on it. That however was merely a tiny obsicle to be overcome as there was a bombling colony that had made their home in a rotting log floating in the water to his right.
Using his boomerang he wisked a bombling away from its home and quickly threw it into the mouth of the deku like before it could explode in his hands. When the obsticle to his prize had shriveled up he hopped across the landing and claimed his prize, a small silver key.
Using the same strategy he had used to rid himself of the deku like Link demolished the boulder as well and climbed to the top of the wall into an alcove. Here he could here the monkey’s cry for help, but couldn’t see it for the boulder that had been placed in the way. Link shook his head at the lenghts the creatures in this temple were going to to prevent him from doing what he’d come here to do. Whisking another bombling into his hands he quickly lobbed it at the boulder where it promptly exploded.
Happy to be free again the monkey that had been trapped scampered out to meet him and folowed him outside into the cavern where the other monkeys were patiently waiting.
Wanting to waste no more time than he had to Link went back to the room that led to the two separate chambers and adjusted the bridge until it linked the two rooms while he was still standing on it. Having finally noticed him the two bokoblins that were guarding it charged at him only to meet their demise. Shaking his head at their stupidity Link headed for the locked door since he already had a key for it.
Inside was another floor of tiles which he gave a wide berth as he headed towards the opening he had spotted in the back. A skulltulla was waiting for him, but Link had fought enough of these creatures already to know how to deal with them with relative ease. There were also two walltullas clinging to the vines on the wall, but they also posed no threat.
Link climbed the vines to the top and found the monkey in this chamber being held behind a gate that required spinning wind turbines to open. When that was done and the monkey was freed Link hurried on his way to the next chamber anxious to see how the monkeys were going to help him next.
In the cavern where the final monkey was being held Link immediately noticed the holes in the floor covered in webbing. He looked up at the ceiling to see two skulltullas spinning their webs. Since he wasn’t entirely sure that he could take care of the both of them at the same time he knocked them down with his boomerang one and a time and took care of the individually.
Then taking lantern in hand he burned away the webs and peered down into the holes. One had a deku like waiting at the bottom with saliva oozing out of its waiting jaws and another had a vine growing down, but the third led directly to a caged monkey. He jumped down this hole and easily shattered the cage with one swing of his sword. The grateful monkey chirped at him once before climbing the vines out of the pit and leaving the room through an exit Link couldn’t see.
Link followed its example and climed the vines out of the pit and left the room, heading for the chamber where all of the monkeys were no doubt waiting for him.
They were, and when they saw him enter the room they began jumping excitedly. Together they climbed out to the very edge of the tree branch that hung over the abyss and created a living rope of monkeys eight strong. Link watched in amazement as they built up enough momentum to swing him from one side of the chasm to the other.
Link took a deep breath and watched the rhythm of the swinging monkeys carefully, knowing that if he jumped out there at the wrong time and they didn’t catch him he wouldn’t exactly be the hero Hyrule needed anymore. The timing was right though and he made it safely to the other side without a scratch.
Mentally thanking the monkeys for all the help they had provided him with Link headed into the deepest part of the temple yet. Here the braziers were already pre-lit to display a door nearly 4 or 5 times as tall as Link himelf was with heavy chains to keep something out, or in.
Thinking that this enormous lock might be the one for the large ornat key that he found Link took it out of his item pouch and held it at about arms length. The lock was too high for him to reach but it turns out that that was of little consequence. The key raised itself up to the lock and took care of everything on its own. The chains, lock, and key fell to the ground with a loud clamor of striking metal and the door slid open.

Link felt a great deal of unease as he walked into the misty chamber and it wasn’t just because of the filthy purple water. Suddenly the water began to churn and two ridiculously large baba heads emerged snapping and snarling at the intruder to their domain.
They swayed back and forth, eyeing Link as he searched for a way to bring these monsters down. At the last second he noticed the bomblings poking out of the logs in the water and how the baba heads kept their mouths gaping open for long periods of time. Keeping his shield out in case one of them decided to lungth at him, but putting away his sword, Link brought out his gale boomerang.
At first he wasn’t sure that it was going to work, but when the first baba head swallowed the bombling and shrunk back into the murky water in death he immediately readied the boomerang to send another bombling down the throat of the other head. Somehow though he didn’t feel any more at ease when the second head sunk down into the water.
A moment later the water began to bubble again. The two baba heads Link had just slain rose up from the dead this time accompanied by the real monster they were connected to. It leaned forward towards Link and, splitting its mouth open into three sections,and roared into Link’s face. Revealing several nasty rows of teeth, what looked like an eye at the end of its tounge, and a horrible case of bad breath. Link had raised his sheild in an attempt to deflect some of the stench, but it did him little good.
Even worse than the creature’s breath was that in rising up out of the water it had destroyed the bomblings that Link might have been able to otherwise use to destroy it. Link dodged frantically from side to side as all three heads of the creature lunged at him and he still had no way to retaliat.
Then just when he was about to give up and just let the creature eat him the baboon that he had freed from the control of the insect earlier appeared on a ledge that he couldn’t reach. It screeched a few more time to make sure that it had his attention and then produced a bombling. Link nodded and readied his boomerang.
The baboon grabbed hold of the rope that spanned the length of the room and slid across it carrying the bombling in its feet. Knowing that he would have to target the head in the center in order to kill the beast Link whisked a bombling straight from the baboon’s grasp into the open mouth of his opponnent. Roaring in pain in collapsed on the ground at Link’s feet with it’s tounge lolling out of the side of its mouth, momentarily stunned. Struck by a moment of inspiration Link began slicing at the eye-like appendage at the end of the tounge and was pleasantly surprised with the creature started twitching from the excruciating pain it must have been experiencing. He only got in three slashes before the creature rose up once again to continue the fight.
Angrily it spit out a dark purple sludge at him that he knew he most certianly should not let touch him. The onslought didn’t last too long and soon the none-to-smart monster had swallowed another bombling. Link once again began slashing furiously at the eyeball.
The creature reared up roaring once again, but this time it was not to continue the fight. No, this time it was writhing around in its death throws. It shriveled up until it looked like a burnt corn husk with the eyeball dangling off the top of it. As the body dissintegrated the eye dropped onto the ground and also vanished, leaving a heart container in its wake.
Link sheathed his sword as the black shards of the creature collapsed together in the strangest thing he had seen yet. He held out his hand for it as it floated down towards him. It hovered there just above his cupped hands. That was fine by him, for Link could feel a strong, evil, power coming from it and he had no desire to have any physical contact with the thing.
“Eee hee hee!” Midna giggled, “Well done! That’s…what I was looking for.”
“What is it?” Link asked as she took it from him with her hair-hand.
“That’s a Fused Shadow. It’s what the light spirit called dark power…”
“Then why are we looking for it?”
“Do you remember what the light spirit said? About how you had to match the power of the king of shadows?”
“Yes, is this what it meant?” he asked, drawing a nod from Midna.
“Could it really be so easy?” she said, sounding genuenly concerned for the first time, “ Is this all there is to it?”
Link sure hoped so, seeing as how this last monster had nearly been the end of him. Midna must have seen that on his face for she started to laugh again.
“Eee hee hee! There’s a total of three Fused Shadows. I think the other light spirits have the rest…” she said, stowing the Fused Shadow away, “If you want to know exactly what fused shadows are…Well, maybe I’ll tell you if you find the other two. I guess you’d better do your best to find them, huh?”
“I suppose,” Link said, sighing heavily.
“Eee hee hee! So let’s not waste any more time here when we could be looking for the other two…” she said, floating off to the side and creating a portal, “I’ll get you out of here….You pick up the heart container that fell out of that thing.”
Link did as she said and felt much more strength flow into him than what he had when just a piece of heart flowed into him. He blinked a few times and flexed his fingers before returning to Midna’s side.
“Are you all done here?” she asked.
“Yes,” Link said, nodding.
Midna vanished and Link stepped onto the portal where by Midna’s power he was warped out of the temple and back to the spirit’s spring in Faron Woods.