Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess ❯ Reunion ( Chapter 12 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A.N.- None of these characters belong to me, they are the property of Nintento. Noticed a few spelling errors so I figued I better go through and fix that asap. Also if something seems weird with the page it could be because my vista program doesn’t like this site or something stupid like that. At any rate enjoy.


Chapter 12: Reunion

Link watched as the vessel full of Eldin’s light glided towards the center of the spring and dissappeared beneath the water’s surface. With the light returned twilight was washed away from this area and Midna returned to her shadowy form. She skipped nimbly through the air finally settling in a reclining position directly over where the light had entered the spring.
“Aw, I was just starting to have fun!” she complained, puouting a little, “ Don’t forget that fused shadow! Eee hee hee! See you later!”
Midna vanished from sight again just as ripples were starting to make their way across the water’s surface. There was a slight plop in the center of the spring like a raindrop hitting and a sphere of light rose up into the air. From the light emerged a great bird exactly like the statue in Rendado’s home in apperance. It took the light in its talons and hovered there, looking down at Link.
“My name is Eldin,” it said, “I am one of the light spirits of Hyrule. I am the spirit that guards these lands.O great hero chosen by the gods…The dark power you seek lies in the sacred grounds of the proud mountain dwelers.” Eldin looked up forelornly at Death Mountain as it said this. “But already those grounds have been defiled, draped in shadow and seeded with evil. You must go to those sacred grounds and cleanse them.”
Eldin looked back at Link and nodded knowingly. It then folded its great wings around its body and the orb of light and dissapeared.
With the light spirit revived and the twilight pushed away Link waded out of the spirit’s spring. As he stepped completely out of the water he noticed the Colin and the other children gathered together at the entrance to Renado’s home, staring at him.
Colin’s face lit up in a smile and he started to run to Link, but was knocked aside as Talo and Beth came running out from behind him. Malo walked over to where Link stood a little more calmly than his brother had and looked at Colin lying on his stomach in the dirt as he passed him. Beth and Talo tugged on Link’s hands excitedly, laughing happily that he had indeed come for them.
“Ha ha ha!” Malo chuckled, “See, Beth? I TOLD you Link would save us!”
Link knew that it wasn’t Malo, but in fact Colin who had told them all that he’d come and save them from the monsters. He looked over at Colin who, laughing and smiling as he did so, pushed himself up off the ground and trotted over. Behind him Renado, his daughter, and Barnes walked calmly over as well.
“…You are the one from Ordon whom these children spoke of?” Renado asked, standing calmly before Link.
“I am,” Link said, looking up at him.
“We are well met,” he said, bowing slightly, “I am Renado, the shaman of this town. And this…” Barnes flipped his mask up, smiled, and started to wave, expecting that Rebado was about to introduce him. “This is my daughter, Luda.”
“Well met,” Luda said, showing Link the same curtousy her father had as Barnes simply grunted and walked away; angry that he had not been introduced.
Link took a quick moment to study her. Luda looked a lot like her father with the same almond-shaped eyes, full lips, and dark hair. She wore clothes bearing the same designs that her father’s did and wore her hair cut up short to her earlobes.
“The beasts took us and left us to die,” Colin said, drawing Link’s attention back to him, “…but Mr. Renado found us.”
Colin looked up at Renado with that same adoring stare that he gave Link and Renado met his gaze.
“At first, I couldn’t believe they had come from so distant a place as the Ordona Province…” he said as Colin dropped his gaze to the ground.
“Yeah, I…We don’t remember much. All of a sudden everyone was captured, and then…until now…it’s been like…”
“…a nightmare,” Malo finished.
“Yeah!” Colin said, looking back up at Link, “It was like a terrible dream and we couldn’t wake up…”
“Mmm…Nightmares are everywhere these days, it seems,” Renado mused, gazing down the length of his town, “This village has certainly seen its share of recent harships…” His gaze turned to Death Mountain at this point. “The dark beasts attacked, but even worst was the sudden change in the mountain-dwelling Goron tribe.”
“What’s wrong?” Link asked.
“They had long been our friends, but suddenly treated us as foes,” he said, shaking his head as if he didn’t know what to do about it, “Even now they refuse to permit us entry into their mines. It strains the limits of belief…To think that sucha gentle and proud tribe could change so suddenly…It makes me wonder if something in those mines is the cause of this change…”
“Something…” Link mumbled, remembering the dark power of the fused shadows..
“In any case,” Renado continued, “you must take these children and flee this village before more nightmares descend.”
“But what about you?” he asked, surprised that Renado would tell them to leave without leaving himself.
“I, of course, cannot leave my village in such a time. There is no telling what my happen to us here…But it is my job to try to coax the Gorons back from their recent change of heart.”
Talo, Colin, and Beth looked up at Link expectantly. He could see in their eyes that they desperatly wanted to go home, but didn’t want to leave the man who had cared for them in their time of need and their new friend, Luda, behind. Seeing that he and the children wished to talk amongst themselves privatly for a moment Renado and Luda stepped away to stand by their front door.
“I don’t wanna leave al these people just to save ourselves!” Talo said, kicking at the ground in frustration.
“Come on, Link!” Beth said, “Can’t you do something?”
“I might be able to Beth,” he said, looking up at the mountain and thinking of the Goron’s spirit he saw as a wolf and truthfully had no real strong desire to confront the creatures when they could actually see him.
“Isn’t there…some way to make up with the Gorons?” Colin said quietly.
“You’d think someone could go up to the mines and do something…” Malo said, hinting heavily at what they were all trying to say.
“I can try guys,” he said, doing his best to put on a good face for them.
Before going up to the mountain to confront the Gorons though Link thought that he might see what Renado could tell him.
“Renado,” he said, “What do you know about what’s in those mines that’s causing all this trouble?”
“I do not know what is in the Goron mines,” he said, shaking his head and looking apologetic, “but surely they will come to understand it and right what is wrong.”
“Are you sure you won’t leave with us?”
“Do not concern yourself with me, my son. You must flee this place as quickly as you can.”
Link nodded and started to head towards the trail. Luda caught sight of him and stopped him short.
“Link. Trying to go near the mines is very dangerous,” she said, looking towards the children, “I will be very sad to be seperated from Colin and the others…but I know they must go. Please return them safely to their parents.”
“Don’t worry Luda,” he said, smiling and waving, “I’ll get them back, but there’s something I’ve got to do first.”
He trotted on up to the trail’s entrance hearing Barnes’ wails as he passed his shop.
“Cripes…My storehouse…My powder…What happenned?! Them…Them foul beasts…Curse ‘em all!!”
Wincing slightly as he remembered accidentally blowing up Barnes’ storehouse Link made a silent promise to himself to make it up to him somehow and continued on his way.

Facing the wire mesh net hangin over the clif face Link rolled his shoulders and flexed his fingers, preparing both his body and mind for what he was about to do. Then, taking a deep breath to further steady himself, he began to climb. The Goron was waiting for him when he finally pulled himself up.
“Ah! Now humans allowed! These lands ahead belong to the Goron tribe! The elder said no humans may pass!” is shouted, curling up into a ball.
Curled up the Goron became just like a mountain boulder, rolling down the slope with the same destructive force. Link put his hands out in front of him and braced himesl, meaning to stop the Goron the same way he would a charging goat. Unlike goats however the Goron was made of rock.
It slammed into Link, sending him flying over the cliff’s edge, and popping out of a ball just before it did the same. Link landed hard on his back, pins and needles running through his arms, and breath coming out in a whoosh!
“A weak spirit is no match for the might of the Gorons!” the Goron shouted from the top of the cliff, thumping its chest proudly, “Do you understand me human? Then away with you!”
Link lay there catching his breath as he listened to the Goron stomp away. Midna would probably tease him about the incident later, and he even he was willing to admit that that was not the smartest thing that he could’ve done. He stood up, brushed the dust off his clothes, looked up the trail one last time, and headed back towards the village.

Redado was waiting for him at the foot of the path.
“Ah!” he said, “how fortunate you are in one piece!”
“Renado!” Link said, approaching him, “What are you doing here?”
“I saw you heading up the mountain trail,so I was worried,” he said, shaking his head in bewilderment, “Are you trying to reach the Gorons of Death Mountain?”
“I was.”
“It is far too dangerous, Link! They recognize only strength! A normal person could never persuade them…”
Link had to surpress the urge to laugh at Renado’s statement. If only he knew the irony of what he had just said.
“But…” Renado said, tapping his chin lightly in thought, “I do know one person who was able to best them and earn their trust…”
“Really? Who?”
“His name is Bo.”
“Bo? You don’t mean…”
“You may know him as the mayor of your hometown, Ordon,” he said, smiling and nodding, “Please, go to him. And while you are there, please let him know that the children are safe.”
“Whatever happenned to bringing them back?” Link asked, confused.
“Of course, getting them back would be best…but we could not keep them safe from the monsters on the road without a horse and cart….”
That much hadn’t occurred to Link, but now that Renado said it it made sense. Link himself had had no trouble making the trip between the Ordona Province and the Eldin Province on his own. But then again he was traveling by himself without having to worry about others setting a slower pace for him. Without a horse and cart as Renado had said the trip would take much longer and would certainly be dangerous to the children. All but the bravest monsters on the trail had given him a wide berth because of his sword, but the prospect of four unarmed children would likely draw them all.
“I understand,” he said.
“Then please…Return to Ordon and inform the parents that their children are free from harm. Give them my word.”
“I will.”
Leaving Renado to think about the Goron situation at the foot of the trail Link ran towards the entrance to the village, near the spirit’s spring. When we was about level with Renado’s home the sound of hoofbeats from behind drew his attention and caused him to turn around.
“Epona…?” he whispered.
It was indeed Epona. She came gallopping towards him at full speed from the other end of the village with two bulbin riders clinging to her saddle for dear life. She bucked as she rounded a corner and threw them both at the same time.
Link stood there expecting her to recognize him and slow down. But she was in such a frenzy that she didn’t. Link had to dodge to the side so avoid being trampled. Epona reared up and whinnied and Link saw his chance. He sprung up from his crouched position and jumped into the saddle. When she felt the extra weight in the saddle again Epona bucked, nearly throwing Link from the saddle. But he held on somehow as she started into a frenzied gallop again.
Epona ran through the spring and circled the town at least once, swerving to the left and the right randomly in an attempt to throw her passenger. But Link held on despite being knocked out of the saddle and let her wear herself down.
Eventually she slowed and Link was able to pull himself back into saddle. Once he did so he took hold of the reins and rubbed Epona’s neck with his free hand, whispering soothing words into her ear.
Seeming to realize who was riding her now Epona’s breathing settled into an easy rhythm and the fear left her eyes.
“That’s my girl,” Link whispered, rubbing her neck fondly.
“Hmm…You’re not too shabby a wrangler after all!” Midna said, looking Epona over, “Now won’t this make getting back to your town a lot easier?”
Link had to give her that. Allthough he would’ve liked to let Epona relax in the spirit’s spring and recover her strength from her ordeal he knew that he needed her now more than ever. Besides, Midna was actually starting to sound kinder.
“Now go finish your errand so we can get back!” she said, snapping her fingers to emphasize her point, “Get a move on!”
“Yes ma’am…” Link mumbled turning Epona towards the gate he had burrowed under as a wolf.
He eased her inot a gallop and she jumped the gate with ease. They were well on their way when the Postman called out to him.
“Mr.Link! WAAAAAIT!!”
Link brought Epona to a halt and waited as the Postman ran up to him to deliver his letter.
“Greetings, Mr.Link!” he said, without even the slightest inclination that he was running out of breath, “I have come to deliver a letter! It is a letter from Ooccoo.”
“From Ooccoo?” Link said, taking the letter from him. He remembered the strange creature from the Forest Temple and had wondered if she had made it out OK since she had not had Midna’s help in teleporting out.
“Well,” the Postman said, saluting Link, “my business is concluded! Onward to mail!”
Curious, Link opened the letter and read.
‘I was so happy to meet you and spend a bit of time with you!
I am planning a trip to a new location, just so you know. If you coninue your journeys, we might see each other again!
P.S. I didn’t have a chance to tell you this last time, but I have a son. I’ll introduce you if we meet again! He’s a good boy who can help you like an item, so be nice!’
Shaking his head in bewilderment at his new friend’s eccentric behavior Link stowed the letter with the one the Postman had given him and carried on his way back home.

Link was just passing Ordona’s Spring when a flash of gold near the water’s edge caught his attention. He backed Epona up and took a closer look.
Sure enough the golden wolf was sitting patiently by the tunnel Link had crawled through to get to Illia, watching him with its glowing red eyes.
“Stay here girl,” Link said, dismounting from Epona.
Just like their first encounter outisde the Forest Temple the wolf growled at him as he approached. Link drew his sword and the wolf lunged, teleporting them to the mist world.

Link opened his eyes lying face-down on the ground in the mist-enshrouded world. He got to his feet and turned to face the wolf.
It seemed to smile at him as it raised its head and howled. There was a flash of light where Link had to momentarily sheild his eyes. When he uncovered them again his teacher was standing before him with his sword and shield in hand.
“We meet again,” he said, “You have a little more of the look of a hero than you did before…”
“Thank you, teacher.”
“Do you feel ready to earn you next skill?”
“I do.”
“Very well…But before we begin, I must test you to ensure you have mastered the last skill I taught you….the ending blow. Now the, come at me!!”
Like before he didn’t put up much of a fight as Link pressed him, knocking him to the ground, and dealing the ending blow. His teacher rose to his feet and nodded.
“Excellent. It seems you are certianly capable of performing my lost art. Very well. My second skill is…The sheild attack! Let it be hewn into your mind!”
Link made to approach him, but he shook his head, indicating that he should stand back for this one.
“No matter how well-tempered a blade is, if a foew is clad in armor and bears a sheild, the sword will do it no harm. When facing such a foe, you must thrust your sheild against the defenses of your enemy, causing the feind to recoil,” he said, thrusting his sheild forward to illustrate how it was done, “Try it! You have learned much, so I am sure you can see the moment when you can do a sheild attack!”
He stepped closer to Link until they were no more than two feet apart and tapped sword tips with him.
Just as he had shown him Link thrust his sheild forward knocking his teacher’s defenses wide. He did something out of instinct that his teacher did not show him however. As soon as his defenses were open he followed through with a quick strike with his sword. Link grimaced a little as he did so, not sure how his teacher would react, but he seemed to approve.
“Excellent!” he said, nodding in an almost proud manner, “Open a hole in your enemy’s defenses and use your sword to strike without hesitation! The sheil attack I have just taught you can also be used to repel an enemy’s projectile attacks. Would you practice?”
“Yes, teacher.”
“Then repel my magical attack with your sheild attack!”
Link stood at the ready as his skeletal teacher formed a ball of magic at the tip of his sword and flung it at him. Using his sheild attack at just the right moment Link knocked the attack right back at him.
“Perfect! When your enemies assail you wit projectiles, this is how you will defeat them with ease!” he said, “Done! You have learned the second of my hidden skills, the sheild attack!”
Link nodded and performed the move one more time for emphasis before putting his weapons away.
“Thank you, teacher,” he said.
“But I have five more secrets to teach you…in time.
The path to becoming a hero is a long one, but once you have grasped all of the hidden skills you will be worthy of walking it. You must persist on the lonely path of the sword to obtain true courae and earn the strength to conquer the great evils of thw world!
Do not forget your discipline with the blade before we meet again!”
“I won’t,” Link said as the scene dissapated before his eyes.

Link opened eyes lying facedown in the dirt near Ordona’s Spring. He had been feeling reluctance quite uncharacteristically but after his session with his undead teacher it was as if that feeling had been driven away. He didn’t know why, but he felt lighter and could feel a new willingness to do the task handed to him beat inside his chest.
He brushed his clothes free of dirt, and climbed back up into Epona’s saddle. Easing Epona into a canter Link took his time heading back into the village. He took in the sights, sounds, and even the smells. It wasn’t as sharp as when he was a wolf, but it was heartwarming nonetheless.
As he passed by Sera’s shop he recalled that he had promised to tell the parents that the children were safe. Leavign Epona to wander around the town a bit and relax Link went in to Sera’s shop.
“Sera…” he said, as he walked in, “Are you here?”
“Link!” she exclaimed, looking up, “Are you Ok?!”
“I’m just fine,” he said, walking over to the counter.
“Oh…Good…That’s good, m’dear. But please, you must tell me! You haven’t seen the children, have you?!”
“I actually have. I found them in Kakariko Village over in the Eldin Province. A man named Renado took them in and is keeping them safe while they’re there.”
“Ah…Oh…Oh! They’re in Kakariko village!” she exclaimed, tearing up a little, “Oh, thank goodness they’re all still alive! I was worried sick…Phew…Finally, I can get back to work in peace…”
“Where’s Hanch?” he asked, “He should know that Beth’s Ok too.”
“Oh, he’s out on that rock again m’dear,” she said, turning to stock her shelves, “You really should tell him right away. He’s been moping ever since they were taken, we all have really.”
Link nodded and went outside to talk to Hanch.
“Hanch!” he said, calling out to him.
“Ho…now I’m hearing things,” he mumbled without turning around, “I thought I heard Link just now…”
“Hanch,” Link said, climbing the vines up to where he was, “You weren’t hearing things. I’m right here.”
Link pulled himself up on the rock and tapped Hanch on the shoulder causing him to turn around.
“Link…” he said, struck with wonder that he was standing before him.
“Hanch the kids are OK. I found them in Kakariko village where a man named Renado is taking care of them.”
“The…The childrean are ALIVE!?” he said, his face instantly lighting up, “They’re alive! This is fantastic! Truly fantastic! Oh, thank you for letting me know, Link!”
“You’re welcome,” Link said, but Hanch was no longer listening to him. He was dancing around in a circle excitedly.
Shaking his head at him Link looked over and saw Jaggle crafting something on the table outside his house. Hopping down off of Hanch’s perch he trotted over to tell him the good news.
“Jaggle!” he called out waving as he approached.
“…Link!” Jaggle said, looking up with surprise clearly splayed across his face and embracing Link in a brief hug when he approached, “You came back alive! Talk about great news!”
“It’s good to see you roo.”
“Listen, PLEASE tell me you know something about the little tykes!”
“I do. I found them in Kakariko village. There’s a man there named Renado who’s taking care of them.”
“Huh? They’re in Kakariko?!” he said, scratching his head, “Boy, that’s a fine fix! We’re gona have to tell the mayor about that right away!”
“Don’t worry about it,” Link said, stopping Hanch as he turned to leave, “I came to talk to the mayor about something anyways. I’ll tell him when I go.”
“Well all right then. Hey, listen, while you’re here would you mind goin’ and tellin’ the wife that the tykes are all right. I got some work to finish up here.”
“Sure thing,” Link said, heading inside.
Pergie sat at her dinner table with her head in her hands, doing her best not to cry. She didn’t even look up as Link walked in and stood beside her.
“Pergie,” he said, placing a hand on her shoulder, “Are you all right?”
Silently she shook her head.
“Listen, I think I’ve got some news that’ll cheer you up. I found the kids. They’re Ok.”
“Th-The children! They’re alive?” she said, looking up sharply, “ Oh…Oh, thank heavens! I’d almost given up hope for them…Thank you so much for coming to tell me, Link!”
“You’re welcome,” Link said, leaving to deliver the good new to one last person before going to see Mayor Bo.
He knocked on the door to Uli and Rusl’s home politley before entering.
“Come on in,” Uli called from inside.
Link walked in to see Uli sitting on her couch working on her sewing. But when she saw that it was Link who was walking through her door she put her sewing aside and stood up to meet him.
“Link” she exclaimed, “I heard rumors you were safe and sound! It relieves me so to see that you are hale and hearty!”
“I’m not the only one Uli,” he said, “Colin’s Ok too.”
“Oh! Colin…Colin is alive?”
“Not just Colin all the other kids are too. There’s a man called Renado back in Kakariko who’s taking care of them until we can bring them back here.”
“The children are all safe! Oh, how wonderful! I am so glad I kept the faith…My thanks to you, Link,” she said, smiling warmly, “From the bottom of my heart.”
“You’re welcome.”
“Have you told everyone else yet? You must tell them all”
“I already have, well, everyone except Bo.”
“Then you must tell him at once!”
“I will,” he said, looking around for a moment, “By the way, where’s Rusl?”
“Oh, he left, saying that he needed to take care of something very important.”
“Did he say where?”
“No, he didn’t, but I’m sure he’ll be just fine.”
“Oh, all right the,” Link said, turning to leave.
“Oh,Link that sword…” Link froze in place, thinking that Uli had figured out that he was the one that had taken it. “Those creatures stole it from us, but you must’ve gotten it back…”
“…Yeah, that’s what I did.”
“Well you go on and keep on using it. I think you need if most right now.”
“…Thank you.”
Link hurried out the door and closed it hastily behind him, wanting to escape the awkward silence that he felt approaching. Outside he saw that Mayor Bo was now standing outside of his house, looking up at the sky longingly.
“Mayor Bo!” he called, running down to meet him.
“LINK?!” Bo cried, looking positively shocked, “Whoa, it IS you, Link! You’re safe and sound!” Bo took a small step back and took a long, hard look at Link as he stood before him. “Your clothes…What happenned to you, lad?”
“It’s a long, complicated story,” Link said, looking off to the side uncomfortably, “I don’t want to burden you with it, but I do have something important to tell you.”
“C-Come quick, then! Inside!”
Bo ushered Link quickly into his house, looking back over his shoulder as if he expected the dark beasts of twilight to appear again at any minute.
“So what is it you’ve got to tell me, lad?” he asked, closing the door behind him.
“The kids are all safe and sound in Kakariko village right now. Renado’s taking care of them and he told me to let you know that he’ll do his best to keep them safe until we can get them back home.”
“I see…so the young ‘uns are in Kakariko Village? Well, that’s good…Renado’s an old friend. If they’re in his care, then we can relax,” Bo said, nodding affrimition into his statement, “So…Don’t keep me waitin’, lad! Tell me of my little girl! Illia is with the rest of ‘em right?”
“…Actually…Mayor…” Link said, looking away, “I…haven’t found her yet. She wasn’t with the others.”
“…Oh! I see…That ain’t what I wanted to hear…” he said, hanging his shoulders dejectedly, “Ahh…But Link…I guess I need to think of all five of those poor kids, not just my own…They’re all in danger. What I should be askin’ is how I can help out…”
“Actually, Mayor there is a way…”
“Really? Anything, lad, just name it!”
“I was trying to get up to Death Mountain, but there’s something going on with the Goron tribe and they wouldn’t let me pass…”
“What’s that, now? The Gorons of Death Mountain?”
“Yeah, Renado told me that they only recognize strength, and that you had beaten them in a contest of it and earned their trust. So you might be able to help me do the same.”
“I see…So Renado told you that…Well, it’s true…I did defeat the Gorons in a contest of strength and earned their trust…With the help of a little secret. I CAN teach you the secret…but can you promise me that you absoluetly, positively will NOT disclose it to anyong?”
“I promise, Mayor.”
“Good. All righty, then. Absolutely no one! Come this way,” he said, leading Link into a room at the back of the house.
It was circular in shape with a large circle-shaped ring in the center and torces all around providing light. The walls were covered in posters, some explaining the basics of a sport and some depicting the competitors.
“Mayor…What is this room used for?”
“Link, you’ve heard of sumo wrestin’, right?”
“A little, why?”
‘Gorons like to match strength in sumo contests,” he said, crossing his arms over his chest.
“But, Mayor, I’ve don’t know anything about sumo wrestling.”
“Well, luckily for you, the basics of sumo are the same as stoppin’ chargin’ goats…You wanna hear more?”
“Please.”
“All righty, then. I’ll teach you the basics of the ways of sumo. If you’re getting’ in a sumo match, chances are you’re in an arean like this,” he said, gesturing to the circular platform beside them, “ The first fella to push his foe outside the areana wins.
Now sumo’s only got ‘bout three reall things to it: step forward and grab your foe, let a retreatin’ foe taste your open palm, and sidestep a foe’s advances. Three techniques, all of ‘em pretty basic. Master all three and you’ll be shovin’ folks out of the areana in no time lad!
…So there you go: the basics of sumo. Need to hear ‘em again?”
“I don’t think so Mayor.”
“Well then, rather than explain a lot, why don’t we just get to it?” he said, pulling his shirt off and slipping into the traditional garb of sumo, “Come on into the ring, lad.”
Link followed his example and laid his tunic, cap, and equipment in one corner. But he felt a little awkward stepping into the ring with Bo wearing nothing but sumo garb so he just pu on a pair of old Ordon herding pants and wrap instead.
Inside the ring there were two lines drawn roughly in the center about a foot and a half apart from each other. Bo walked over to one line and chrouched behind it with his right hand resting lightly on it. Link came up and did the same.
“All right, lad,” Bo said, “On the count of three. One…two…THREE!”
Link got in the first strike with a quick slap to the side of Bo’s face. Grabbing him and shoving hard he easily knocked him out of the ring. He stood up straight and looked down at Bo lying on the floor. Unusual as the sport was he felt aslight sense of accomplishemnt.
“Hmph!” Bo said, getting up, “You seem to understand the basics. All righty, next time I won’t go easy on you, lad.”
“You were going easy on me?”
“Of course! Do you think I’d give it my all on a beginer?” he said, chuckling, “Now, fight me as if you were fightin’ on of the Gorons!”
Bo climbed back into the ring again and they took up their positions, using the same countdown as before. This time it was Bo that got in the first strike, and nearly managed to shove Link out of the ring. Link however managed to use Bo’s own momentum to cause him to trip and fall out on his own without too much effort.
“Whoa ho! Not to shabby, lad!” he said, chuckling and accepting Link’s hand in helping him get up, “With your natural talent, I’m sure you can take on the Gorons…”
“Thanks mayor,” Link said, putting his tunic, cap, and equipment back on.
Link waited for Bo to get his regular clothes on as well and met him back in the living room.
“You’ve gotten a slight stronger in the short time you’ve been gone, Link…” he said, “Strong as you are, though, you can’t hope to beat the Gorons wrestlin’ with power alone. Those Gorons are made of rock!”
“Oh, don’t I know…” Link mumbled, remembering his brief flying lessongs at the hands of the Goron sentry, “So is there no way to beat them?”
“Naw, the secret ot beatin’ the Gorons…is locked away in that chest,” he said, nodding to a dusty old chest under a pile of books, “Take it with you, lad.”
Link carefully set the books down on the floor and popped the chest open. Inside were a pair of highly polished metal boots. When he bent down to pick them up he was surprised by their lack of weight and relative lightness.
“You can probably tell, those boots are made of iron, lad.”
“What good will iron boots do me?” Link asked, pretending that he felt their weight acutely.
“Whoever wear ‘em won’t easily be pushed around…even by a Goron,” Bo said, chuckling at Link’s comment, “If you’re fixin’ to fight a Goron, be sure to wear those boots…Let’s be square, though, lad: you can’t ever tell ANYONE about those boots!”
“Not even Renado?”
“’Specially Renado!”
“All right, Mayor, I promise I won’t tell a soul.”
“You better not, lad,” he said, “Or I’ll be sending me girl after ya when she gets back!”
Smiling, Link left Bo’s house and called Epona to him. On an impulse he thought to try and stow the boots away in his item pouch for some reason and was pleased to find that the boots shrank down to fit at only the slightest contact with the pouch. That figured out he mounted up and headed for the ranch, meaning to tell Fado the goods news about the kids as well since he had the right to know as much as everyone else did.
“Fado!” he called out, riding up to him.
“Link!” Fado said, running up to meet him halfway, “You’re all right, bud!”
“Yeah! And guess what? The kids are too! They’re all in Kakariko Village right now.”
“N-No foolin’?! The tots are safe?!An’ on top of that, they’re all in Kakariko Village?!”
“That’s right,” Link said, nodding and glancing around at the field of goats grazing, “Say, you don’t need any help herding these guys in while I’m here do you?”
“Aw, shucks, you don’t need to worry ‘bout that now,” he said, waving his suggestion away, “You’re incredible, bud! I can already see everybody’s smilin’ faces!”
“Well, take care Fado,” he said, turning Epona away, “I’ve got to get going.”
“Where to?”
“Back to Kakariko and who knows where next,” Link said, looking off to the north where he knew twilight still covered the land, “There’s some unfinished business that I have to take care of, and besides…Illia is still out there somewhere.”
“Oh…I see…Well, good luck, bud! I’ll be rootin’ for ya!”
“Thanks Fado,” he said, waving as he gallopped off back towards Kakariko