Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess ❯ The Goron Mines ( Chapter 14 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A.N. -OK, so I know that in the game when you have the iron boots on you stop around and make A TON of noise so you have to keep taking them on and off to make any kind of swift progress, but that just wasn’t going to cut it here. I mean can you imagine a real-life Link lugging around a pair of hefty iron boots all the time? I didn’t think so. And I KNOW that not everything I come up with happens in the game. Please, please, please don’t correct me unless you think I really screwed something up.
Also I wanted to make mention of something. The first 13 chapters of this were finished before I came to college. Now that I’m actually here and have seventy-five million hours of homework every night don’t expect to get spoiled. Do drop me a review or email sometime though. I love to hear what people think. Even if you’re one of my friends and I know what you think do it. Drop whatever you’ve doing, unless you’re holding an infant or a small child, and make it so.
Another thing, just to reinforce the fact. I don’t own these characters. They belong to Nintendo and Nintendo alone. It doesn’t matter how much I may want to look at Link’s sexy body and think, ‘Yeah, I made that character.’ It just ain’t gonna happen. That said read the chapter and I’ll stop wasting page space.
Chapter 14: The Goron Mines

Link climbed the steps and stood in the tunnel entrance as Gor Coron gave him one final warning.
“The mines are full of traps, all placed to protect the treasure from thieves. And worse than traps…Since the eruptions began, foul creatures of all shapes have settled into every corner of the mines.Getting to the patriarch’s location will not be easy. I would prepare your blade, young warrior.”
“Monsters won’t be any trouble,” Link said, drawing his sword, “I’ve taken care of plenty of those already.”
Smiling at Link’s answer to his worries Gor Coron nodded for him to continue on into the mines.

Stepping inside the mines Link was hit with a stiffling wave of heat.
“Jeez,” Midna said, “Is this a mine or a volcano?”
“Probably both,” Link said, wiping the sweat off his brow and peering over the edge into the lava pool below.
He shivered despite the heat. Already he could see places where he would have to be overly cautious just to avoid falling into the lava pit.
“Come one,” Midna urged, not affected in the least by the heat, “Let’s get moving! You’ve still got to find that fused shadow!”
“Slave driver,” he mumbled as she vanished again.
Taking a deap breath to steady himself, and praying to the goddesses that he didn’t fall in, Link carefully hopped acrosss the stone platforms to the relative safety of the steel structure on the other side.
The structure had a thick netting seperating him from the lava so he felt slightly safer here. However it appeared that measures had been taken by whatever monsters were lurking inside to keep him out. A crude barricade of rotting wood had been placed shortly before the entrance to the structure. Link was easly able to knock it down.
Further down the path there was yet another obsticle of rotten wood attempting to block his path that was also easily taken care. More of a threat however was the stream of fire belching its contents across his path.
Backtracking Link found that he had carelessly passed over a large switch. Stepping on it with his iron boots he heard a click and the stream of fire stopped but a ticking noise started up. Understanding what it meant Link quickly hurried and jumped the gap where the fire had been. Almost immediately after he had done soe the fre started up again with even more vigor than before.
Breathing a sight of relief that he had not been caught in the flames Link studied the new section of the path so as to not miss a thing. To not do so in a place so dangerous would mean the end of him.
There was another stream of fire protruding from the wall and another switch to shut it off as well, but once on the other side there would be no way to the door Link could see across the fire pit. There was however a ladder to the left of him on the other side of the grate. He studied it for a moment and saw that if he climbed up it he could jump across to the other side and thuse be able to reach the door without faling into a boiling pit of lava. To get to it however he would have to jump the gap in front of him once to get to the other side, quickly run around to the other side of the cage, and jump the gap a second time on the other side.
Nodding to himself and gearing up for a very dangerous sprint Link stepped on the second switch. He didn’t even bother standing there while he waited for it to activate; instead opting to run for it and hope that the fire would be stopped by the time he reached the gap.
A few seconds later he was standing in front of the ladder with the end of his cap singed slightly. He’d only just avoided being burned alive. With his pulse pounding in his ears Link mentally congratulated the Gorons for the dealiness of their traps.
Ascending the ladder he was greeted by a torch slug which screeched and lunged at him. Having only reached the top of the ladder Link was unable to draw his sword to defind himself. The creature rammed into his hand, causing him to cry out in surprise and release his hold on the ladder rung. He dropped to the platform below, cradling his badly burned hand to his chest and wincing.
Glaring up at the creature he pulled out his gale boomerang and flung it at the slug. The slug didn’t even know what was happenning as it was flung to the other side of the room. There it screeched in pain as it was slammed against the wall.
Grinning to himself as the boomerang returned to him Link ascended the ladder once more.
On top of the cage was a gap where the first firey column sprayed and Link jumped that on a second time as well. Across the gap were ceramic pots that yeilded hearts when Link smashed them. He hurridly collected them and felt the throbbing his hand ease as their magic healed him.
Feeling much better he leaped the gap across the pool of lava and found himself on the other side of the cavern. Looking to his right he saw another stream of fire blocking his path. And to his left was the switch that deactivated it, guarded by another fire slug.
Drawing his sword in a determination not to be caught off guard by one of them again he made his way carefully towards it along the narrow ledge. The poor thing didn’t even stand a chance as Link ran it through with his sword. Screeching in agony it vanished, leaving the switch open for him to press which he did.
Running as fast as he dared Link cleared the fire jet. Trotting around to the solid ground on the other side. Link saw not one, but thre torch slugs waiting for him below.
He jumped down into the middle of them and readied a spin attack. Link waited until they were just about upon him when he unleashed his attack. Shrieking in their death throws they exploded one right after the other around him. Nodding in satisfaction that the threat had been eliminated he turned his attention to the large iron bars blocking the door leading deeper into the mines.
Glancing to the left of the door he saw the mechanism that would likely open the door. It was a platform large enough for a Goron to stand on. And it was likely a Goron’s weight that would force it down.
Link clicked his iron boots together and grinned to himself.
“Thank you Bo,” he whispered, “If only you know how useful these boots came to be.”
Climbing back up to the ledge he had jumped down from to get the torch slugs he hopped over to the metal platform. The structure shuddered in complaint and then began sliding smothly downwards. With the mechanism activated The iron bars split in two and slid away, relinquishing access to him.
Wasting no time he opened the door and headed into the next room.

This area was the same, if not worse, as the room before it. Link gazed around him in awe, wondering just how the Goron’s had managed to erect the virtual maze of steel pathways without falling into the lava. Large cranes stood on the most stable areas of the structure with large circular pieces of turquiose rocks at their heads, swaying back and forth dangerously. But it was not the cranes that drew Link’s attention. No, he was gazing above him at the crisp, clear view of the sky.
“I must be in the crater…” he mumbled to himself in awe.
Shaking off his wonderment he trotted up the slight incline ahead of him to the first crossroad. He could see bulbins guarding a treasure chest down the ramp to his right, but couldn’t quite make out the path on his left. So he drew his sword and ran down to dispatch them.
They growled at him as he approaced and waved their clubs menicingly, but that was about all they did before Link cut them down. With them gone Link could now safely open the chest. He did so and was pleasently surprised to find a small silver key.
Tucking it away safely in his pocket he backtracked to the circular platform and continued on the path straight ahead of him. After a slight incline it veered to the left and then sharply to the right leaving Link facing a pair of rotating platforms.
Timing his jumps carefully so as not to be thrown off the platforms as they turned Link crossed in safety. Then to his immediate left was a locked door. Pulling the key out of his pocket he slipped it into the lock, causing the chains to drop, and proceeded.

This room was similar to the first chamber of the mines in that there were platforms within easy jumping distance of each other that would enable a person to cross the lava in safety if they timed it just right. If they didn’t however they were likely to be burned alive by the gysers of lava that shot up at random intervals. Here there were also dondogos.
Link had heard of Rusl talk of these strange creatures often. How they could breathe fire and had scaley armor that no sword could penetrate. They did have a weakness however, which was their exposed tail.
Running up to the first dondogo before it noticed that he was there Link scewered it through it’s weak point. The creature screeched and collapsed dissolving like all the other creatures destroyed before it. With that area safe Link crossed the stone platforms to the other side, taking note of the stone tunnel and it’s blockade along the way.
On the other side he dispensed of a pair of dondogos fairly easily and put his sword away for a moment to think.
The only way forward that he could see was the stone tunnel, which was conveniantly blocked off by another stone wall. Directly in front of him was a chain that was attatched to that wall, but Link doubted that he would have the strength to move it. Still…It was the only way forward so he might as well give it a try.
Taking the chain in his hands he pulled back with all his might. Surprisingly the wall moved with ease, and when he could pull it back no further Link dropped the chain and hurried to make it before the way was blocked again since the wall was moving back into place.
He just barely made it, having nearly gotten his right arm crushed between the blockade’s spikes and the wall it was sliding into.

Ahead of him in the fourth room he’d entered so far was a pool of water divided by a metal fence. That fence prevented him from swimming across to the other side so he would have to find another way around.
Peering down into the depths of the water he could see that there was a hole in the bottom of the fence where it connected with the floor below just big enough for him to fit through. And beyond that was a switch. Link had no earthly idea what that switch could possibly do, but there was no other way to get across so he really had no choice.
Taking a deep breathe he flung himself into the water and let the iron boots drag him down to the bottom. As quickly as he could he made his way to the switch and stepped on it.Immediately he flet himself pulled upside-down out of the water by his iron boots.
Coughing and sputtering from the water he’d accidenly inhaled when he’d gasped underwater Link tried to figure out what had happenned. His feet felt as though someone had grabbed ahold of them and pulled down with all their might and his nose stung terribly from having water rush into it at high speed. He looked down at his iron boots accusingly as if they were the cause of his discomfort, which ironically, they were.
The switch he had stepped on had activated a small circle in the rock above him. Magnitizing his boots with such strength that it had been able to pull him out of the water.
Understanding this much Link could now tell why the cranes in the crater room had the same sort of turquoize colored rock on them. It was magnetic.
Happy as he was that he’d solved another one of the mines mysteries, hanging upside-down was making the blood rush to his head.
With a great about of effort he walked up the rock to where he was standing right-side-up again and stepped onto normal stone once again. When he did so his boots immediately lost their magnetic qualities.
Pausing for a moment before heading into the next room, Link stood there rubbing his sore thighs back into life and catching his breathe.

There were no monsters here and it felt incredibly safe. Hearing a couch from further inside Link proceeded. Standing patiently in the center of a sumo ring was an old Goron much like Gor Coron.
He was smaller though and leaned ona rough wooden cane for support. His back was hunched and his head had taken on the shape of a volcano complete with a puff of smoke every now and then. However Link could tell that he was someone to be treated with respect.
“Ah…I thought I felt a presence…” he said as Link approached, smiling warmly up at him, “but what a surprise to find a young human…Word has come to me of you…and if Gor Coron has faith in you…then your heart must be true…”
“Thank you sir,” Link said, bowing slightly to him, “I’m Link.”
“I am one of the four Goron elders. Gor Amoto is my name,” he said, nodding in response ot Link’s bow, “You are a heroic young human. Please, you must lend this tribe your power.”
“I will sir,” Link said, taking what looked like a fragment of a key from the old Goron when it was offered to him, “But what is this?”
“That is one of the key shards, that, when merged together, form the key to the room where Darbus is being held.”
“I see…”
“The key is split inot three pieces. Each of us elders keeps a piece. You must hurry to the other elders!”
Nodding Link stepped around the old Goron and noticed a treasure chest sitting on the ground in front of an idol of some sort. Catching his gaze Amoto nodded his head.
“You may take that if you like,” he said, “It will certainly be of better use to you than it will to me.”
Thanking him Link popped open the chest and pulled out the map inside. He stood there for a moment tracing his finger along the path he should take. Nodding he slipped the map into his pocket and climbed the ladder to his left up to the second floor of the mines.
Up on the wooden scaffolding there wer many ceramic pots of varrying shapes and design, but one of them was rocking back and forth and making odd chirping noises. Shaking his head as he realized who it must be Link walked over and broke the pot. Ooccoo flapped her tiny wings in surprise and whirled around to face Link.
“Phew! Free at lat!” she exclaimed, “Gracious…You’re that nice fellow who helped me out the other day! How good to see you again!”
“Good to see you too Ooccoo.”
“ Well, now that we’ve found each other again, let’s tick together for a bit, hmm?”
“Sure thing, just try and be careful, it’s dangerous around here.”
“I’ll be right with you,” she said, nodding vigerously, “So if you want to warp out, just let me know!”

In the chamber with the water pool once more Link found that there were the same types of magnetic rock lining the walls on either side of him. Picking Ooccoo up so that she wouldn’t fall into the water he stepped onto the wall and walked across to the other side and left.
Back in the room where he had slain the dondogos Link was standing on the ceiling to the rock path he had previously come through. There was a swithc which he could only guess activated the magnetic properties of the stone above him. But the ceiling wasn’t just a straight shot to the door hidden on the other side. It was a maze of magnetic and non-magnetic rock. So Link had to plot his course carefully before activating the switch.
Once again he was pulled upside down by hiw boots and stuck to the ceiling. Wincing with every step he took at the clamor he caused just by walking Link made his way across the ceiling and to the door on the other side.

Back in the crater room he trotted down the ramp to the first crane which was guarded by four bulbins. They didn’t pose a thret and were quickly taken care of . Stepping on the switch he activated the crane and was pulled into the air. The crane moved over to another platform; there the magnetic properties of the rock vanished and he dropped down to the next area.
Drawing his sword in preperation for another minor battle with a pair of bulbins Link headed up the ramp to activate another crane with Ooccoo following close behind.
This second crane dumped him on a large metal ledge with yet another pair of bulbin warriors lying in wait for him. Wasting no more time than what was nessecary Link destroyed them and proceeded on to the next room.

Waterlogged was the best way to describe the new chamer. With stepping-stone platforms spanning the watery gap to the other side. To his left the room was sectioned off by sturdy metal fencing, and on the other side of the water there was. Also on the other side was a door barricaded by another metal gate.
Link had to pause in examination of the room momentarily as he was set upon by a colony of tekites. One of them managed to latch onto his arm while he was stabbing the others between their joints. It clung their raising one of its four legs to attack before it was skewered through it’s eye. Now, with the tekites gone Link continued to examine the room. Below the surface of the water, at the pace of the tallest ledge was a treasure chest. And the metal fence also had a hole in it under water, but he’d have to push a block out of the way first.
So he slipped our of his iron boots and dived down under water to retrieve the contents of the treasure chest first. It was akey, which he took with him back to where he’d left his boots. Slipping the key into his pocket and putting his boots back on Link submerged himself once more.
Pushing the block away and entering the enclosed area of the netting Link realized that there was a fatal mistake in his planning. He was wearing his iron boots and there was no magnetic field to quickly pull him out of the water.
Before it was too late he quickly undid the clasps on the boots and surfaced. Diving down for two more trips to retrive the boots one at a time before he was able to put them on again, hopefully for good.
Exploring this new area of the room he was pleased to find a switch activater on the ledge to his right. He stepped on it, activating the magnetic field, and flung himself into it.
Link walked across the ceiling as far as he could before the magnetic rock stopped and dropped him down on the metal scaffolding where yet another switch was waiting to be activated. This one broght the magnetic field on the wall dierectly in front of him to life.
Praying that the pull was strong enough he walked off the edge of the scaffolding. Luckily it was and he was able to walk along the wall to the ledge and drop down onto it. There he approached the daimond.
Glancing from it to the door he concluded that the two of them must be connected in some way. Link thought that the crystal might open the door if it were struck so he swung his sword at it. When the grate started to slide away, he hoped down off theledge and hurried through to the next room.
There were bulbins waiting for him and two beamos statues perched on the corners of the platform glaring down at Link. He dispatched the bulbins and hurried forward to try and get past the beamos when they attacked. Link skipped backwards nimbly, narrowly missing getting his foot sliced off by the energy beams they attacked him with.
Giving them a wide berth lest they decide to attack him again Link walked around the platform to the magnetic wall on the left side of the room and climbed up it. Heading around to the right and walking carefully along the narrow wooden ledge when the rock ran out.
As he walked along the ledge and saw that he would have to cut the ropes holding the bridge up Link was partially grateful to the beamos for forcing him around. He cut the ropes and waited for the metal bridge to settle in place before jumping down onto it.
Now his path to the next chamber was clear with the exception of the locked door. But he still had the key he’d found in the waterlogged chamber so not even that posed a problem.

Instead of metal scaffolding and pathways this chambers sported ones that were made of wood.
Anxious to get the second key shard Link rushed forward, breaking down barriers of rotting wood and killing bulbins that dared come near him as he went. As such he did not give this new room a thorough inspection as he likely should have. Had he, he would’ve noticed the bulbin archers standing on the towers above him with their arrows trargeted on him. But he didn’t, so he didn’t notice their presence until it was too late.
Crying out in pain as an arrow burried itself in his shoulder. Quickly, before they could loose anymore arrows, he ducked behind a stack of boxes and crouched down to pull the arrow out.
Looking over to his right he saw a beamos and to his left was a locked door. The path to the beamos would be his safest bet so long as he didn’t get close enough to provoke it into action. If only he had a bow of his own, he’d be able to get rid of the bulbins shooting at him and the beamos waiting for him to make a mistake. But he didn’t. So for now he’d ust have to look for the key to the door and make a run for it.
Luckily the bulbin’s had been counting on being able to take him out before he even reached the statue of the the beamos so the chest containing the key was close by. Placed in a little cubby between some shipping crates and the wall, and well out of range of the beamos so that they themselves would not be accidentally attacked was the small chest containing the key.
Link put the key in his pocket and positioned his shield so that it would be between him and the bulbins’ missiles. Without waiting to see if they had arrows ready for him or not Link burst out of his hiding place and ran for the door on the other side at full speed. As he ran arrows bounced off his shield like rain.
Reaching the door safely he fumbled with the key momentarily in an effort to quickly reach safety. An arrow or two had already grazed him when the chains finally fell away and he was safe.
Sighing in relief Link looked around for a pot or crate that might contain a heart with which he could heal himself, but found none. So instead he looked to the large rotating platform spanning the length of the room.
There were two exits here. One on the other side of the rotating platform and the other to his right, which was inaccessible for the moment. Either way the only way to get to both doors was to cross the platform. However it was far to long to make in one run without being overturned into the water below. But there were patches of magnetic rock worked into the steel frame of the platform so crossing would not be a problem for Link and his iron boots.
He stood in front of the platform for a moment or two watching the platform circle around several times while he judged which side would be best to attempt the crossing and worked out the rhythm of the rotaation. When he felt that he had committed his path to memory Link crossed. Once he almost didn’t make it to the next sware of rock in time and was nearly pitched into the water, but he made it nonetheless and opened the door in front of him.

It was a chamber muc like the one he had found Gor Amato in. With a sumo ring in the center and a feeling of peacefulness throughout. Link entered respectively and found himself in the presence of a very aged Goron.
He had even more wrinkles in his stony skin than Amato had and was trembling in his old age. There was absolutely nothing wrong with his eyes or voice though as he hailed Link before he had even stepped into the ring.
“Oh…Ah…The young human,” he said, smiling slightly and waving for Link to come closer, “I am pleased to see you make it this far, Brudda…I am one of the four elders of the Goron tribe. I am called Gor Ebizo.”
“Link,” he said, responding to the unanswered question for his name.
“You have heard of the plight of our patriarch. Otherwise you would not have come to see me,” he said, handing Link another shard of the key, “Here, take this, Brudda…”
“Thank you very much,” Link said, taking the key and sliding it into its proper place with the shard he already possesed.
“Now…There is one more shard,” Ebizo said, “but seeing you has reminded me of the dangers that line the path to it…There is something that may help you…A weapon said to have been left in this mine by a hero of old. It is beyond price and so we have protected it through generations…Now, when our trive balances on the brink of ruin, it could aid in our salvation.”
“That’s very generous of you to let me use it,” he said, “Where is it?”
“ The hero’s weapon is stored safely up ahead…Talk to the guard and take it with you with the blessing of the Gorons.”
“Thank you sir,” he said, bowing slightly and leaving the room.
Back in the previous room Link walked alongside of the wall to ther other door he had seen upon entering the first time, dropping down to the platform when it was safe to do so. Ebizo had said that the weapon was futher ahead and this was the only other path that could go forward to it must be the right way.

Inside was a large arena made entirely out of magnetic rock suspended from the ceiling by thick chains and boiling pit of lava below. As he entered an iron grate slid down over the doors behind Link and another, larger figure on the other side of the ring.
Seeing that whoever it was had looked up at the sound of the grate sliding into place, Link figured that there was nothing for it but to step into the ring and explain why he was here. He never got the chance to though.
The figure on the other side was an abnormally large goron, easily three times the size of the ones outside of the cavern, and coated in thick plates of armor. He stood up at Link’s approach to the ring glaring at him viciously.
“Whoa…Human?!” he growled, grinding his armor-clad knuckles together, “What business does a human have coming here?!”
“I’m here to-“
“None! No business! This is a forbidden place! I will protect this treasure from you!” he shouted jumping onto the arena.
He slammed into the arena floor with such force that the chains supporting it broke and the whole thing went plumetting into the lava pool below. The arena rocked back and forth unstabily as the large Goron lumbered towards Link, unhindered by the swaying motion of the rock. He faced Link down hopping nimbly from foot to foot, looking for a way around Link’s defenses.
He punched Link’s shield a few times in an attempt to send him over the edge, but was only just unnsucessful. Even with his iron boots magnetized to the floor Link was nearly sent flying by the massive Goron’s unbelievable strength.
Frustrated that his punches weren’t doing any damage the Goron curled up into a ball and started to spin, meaning to just run Link over and be done with it. Seeing his opportunity Link slid his shield back into place on his back and readied himself for the charge.
When it came he grabbed hold of the Gorons armor and flung him to the side where he then proceeded to slip off the edge of the arena and into the lava pool. Link felt a momentary spasm of panic before his opponent scrambled back over the edge; flushed but otherwise unharmed as bits of the lava dripped off his armor and cooled on the stone floor.
Relieved that he had not accidentally illed the creature Link readied himself for another charge that was coming his way and followed through with the same tactic as he had before. This time when the Goron came back up he was panting heavily and swaying from side to side lethargicly.
Once more should do it… he thought.
Grunting the Goron snorted like a charging animal and curled up into a ball once more. He quite obviously was not the smartest of his race, if he were he probably would’ve avoided his third lava bath.
Crawling out for the third time he stumbled towards Link, his spirit refusing to be beaten. He raised his fist as if to strike but instead collapsed, his helmet falling off.
“Ugh…That…hurt a lot,” he said, looking up at Link with a slight amount of respect, “Who knew humans were capable of such feats of strength…” With a great deal of effort he pulled himself to his feet and continued speaking. “Uh…Maybe…you are going to see the patriarch of our tribe?”
“Yes,” Link said, resisting the urge to roll his eyes, “That’s what I was trying to tell you before you attacked me. Gor Coron, your elder, sent me to help Darbus.”
“Ah! So THAT is why you are here!” he said, clapping his hands together; and the lava rose, bringing the areana back up to its former level, “In that case, take the weapon of the hero of the past…But in exchange, you must save the patriarch of our tribe!”
“I will,” he said, heading past him into the room beyond.

Following the narrow path to the center of the room Link came across and aging, ornate chest. Opening it, he found a longbow and a quiver full of arrows.
They were undeniably old, but still in perfect condition as if they had just been made the day before. As he reached down to pick them up he could feel the magic that enchanted them acutely. This ability likely a side effect from having his inner power awakened and spending so much time as a beast in the twilight realm.
Either way as soon as he touched the weapon the knowledge of how to use it and the skill that only came from years and years of practice flowed into him, making it as though he had always fought with a bow. Unsure if this was actually how things stood or if he was just deluding himself Link took aim at the rope supports to the drawbridge and let fly. Hiw arrow did not miss.
Pleased he carried on with his search for the fourth Goron elder.

The situation was not good to say the least. Once again in his excitement and anticipation Link had failed to give yet another room a thorough investigation and now found himself trapped in the center of a circular room with the eyes of six beamos trained on him. He was in exactly the right place to avoid being hit by any of their attacks but a single step in any direction would put him in range.
Being statues beamos had no clear weaknesses, and Link didn’t have any idea how to get rid of them.
“Midna,” he said, “A little help would be greatly appreciated.”
Sighing reluctently she appeared next to him.
“What’s up?” she asked, though the question was rhetorical, “Beamos trouble?”
“Yes…” he mumbled embarrassed that he’d had to ask for her help.
“Try aiming for the eys,” she said, tweaking the string of his bow, “That should do the trick.”
She dissappeared into his shadow again and he did as she suggested. When the eye of the first one shattered and it sunk down on its pedestal Link quickly did the same to the other five. He then proceeded to pull each of the dead statues far enough forward so that he could squeeze behind them. He did this because he had seen that there were small alcoves behind each of the statues and was curious as to know what was in them.
All but two only had rusting piles of metal but the other two had things he was looking for. One had a treasure chest, wherein was a compass; now when he held it over his map the location of Darbus was displayed. The other alcove was hiding a door to the room of the fourth Goron elder.
He was roughly as tall as Gor Coron, but much thinner. His entire body was adorned with metal trinkets and cermonial tatoos of colors varrying from the Goron norm. Sitting cross-legged with his hands cupped in front of him and his forarms resting on his knees he breathed deeply and meditated.
Unlike the others before him he didn’t acknolodge Link’s presence until he was directly in front of him.
“Ah! You are here at last!” he said opening his eyes and standing up, “I heard that you might pay a visist, young human. I am farsighted in all things. I am on of the four Goron elders, Gor Liggs. …Here you go…”
He handed Link the third and final key shard which he promptly combined with the others to forth the key itself.
“If you use that key, you can open the room where Darbus, the tribal patriarch, is being held,” Liggs said, nodding slowly even though he probably knew that Link had already heard these things from the other elders, “Who knows how powerful Darbus is in his new grotesque form…But I suppose I should trust your power, considering you came this far...”
“Thank you very much Gor Liggs.”
“Hurry,now! To the patriarch’s room!” he said, making ‘shooing’ motions with his hands, “There isn’t a moment to loose!”

Back in the beamos room Link found that there was one he hadn’t disposed of quite yet and it was blocking his way out. That didn’t last very long and he was soon able to proceed to another boiling hot room with a pit of lava.
Hearing him enter two keese flew down to their deaths leaving hearts behind in their wake. Link gratefully swept up the two hearts and felt his earlier shoulder wound and corresponding scratches heal. The enemies he had defeated before the keese had failed to provide him with hearts.
At least with the keese gone he could now focus his attention on the torch clugs clinging to the ceiling above the stalactite platforms. Bringing out his bow he shot them down so that they would not harm him as he attemped to cross the lava pool.
Yet from where he was now there would be no way for him to make the jump without falling in. Tapping his foot thoughtfully he looked for a place where he could make a safe jump. After a few moments he had his plan of action sorted out.
Having noticed that the metal fencing in front of him was loose he rammed into it and knocked it down, wincing slightly at the clamor it caused. Circling round he leapt the gap from ledge to ledge and proceeded on, killing the creatures that got in his way as he went.
When he arrived at the door however he found that it was sealed by the same mechanism that he’d seen in the waterlogged room. With the activator switch being the blue diamond high above him. From the ground he had no way to reach it even with his bow, but from the ceiling he might just have a chance.
Activating the magnetic field and walking across the ceiling Link was able to fire an arrow at the diamond. From below came a grinding sound as the gate slid away. Link dropped down from ledge to ledge and quickly went through before the mechanism reversed itself.

In the crater room with the cranes for the fourth time Link was finding out just how useful his new bow could be. He’d already taken out the Bulbins on the levels below him and was proceeding to sever the supports to yet another drawbridge. The power and accuracy of the weapon far exceeded that of his humble slingshot.
At any rate he crossed over the drawbridge and activated the third crane in the room which dumped him in front of the door leading to the waterlogged room. Confused Link pulled out his map and studied it for a moment.
“Oh, I see…” he mumbled, putting it away and heading forward.
Link wasn’t worried about the tekites that had inhabited the room before since he’d already destroyed them in his previous visit and was thus unhindered in his crossing to the other side. He struck the diamond with an arrow, passed into the next room, and killed the beamos on his way to the room with the bulbin archers. Now that he had a bow of his own, it was time for a little payback.

One by one they fell with an arrow protruding from their throats with only those that were farthest away still living and taking cover. Smiling in satisfaction Link walked confidently to the place where the beamos statue stood and killed it. He then pulled it away to reveal a hidden wall behind it leading to the next highest level in the room.
Ahead of him there were two more bulbin archers who apperently thought they were safe. Link proved them wrong by lodging an arrow in the explosive barrel behind them. It exploded, knocking them forward with the force of its energy.
With the way clear Link pushed forwards activating a final crane and jumping into the field it created. Hanging upside-down from the cranes head he looked around to see where it was going to dump him, but found that there wasn’t a platform coming up anytime soon. Almost too late he noticed a draw bridge with rope supports up ahead and quickly severed them before the crane released its load.
He nearly dropped his bow when he landed as the reverberations from his boots contecting with the wooden bridge traveled through his body. Shaking the numbness out of his legs he opened the door to the final chamber before the one where Darbus was being held.

Link peeked around a stack of crates at the waiting bulbins with an arrow notched. There were three archers and two club wielders waiting for him, but they would not get the chance to do any harm if he had his way.
Pulling the drawstring tight he let fly and the first bulbin fell. The others didn’t even glance up, having not noticed their comrade’s demise. This was just fine with Link. He’d prefer not to fight hand-to-hand with them so close to the lava’s surface.
Thwoosh! Thwoosh!
The other archers fell. Now he had the attention of the club wielders. They however didn’t notice his position until they too had arrows lodged in their throats.
With the greeting party gone Link descending the spiraling ramp to the metal grate floor. To his right was another drawbridge that had been tied into place. Link dropped just like he had the others before, and released a virtual army of bulbins from behind.
He let fly with his arrows taking as many out as he could beforew they reached him. And when he ran out of arrows he drew his sword and took down the few left at close range. Had there been four or less he would’ve defeated them without a mark to show he’d seen combat, but there were ten and he ended up with a few deep cuts by the time they were defeated.
Wincing slightly he gathered up as many arrows as he could find and replaced them in his quiver so that they could be made useful a second time. He also collected the few hearts that had fallen out of the slain bulbins and used them to heal himself.
Allthough he was anxious to help Darbus and get out of the blistering heat of the mines Link knew that going into the room ahead unprepared would be deadly. Not could, would. He’d been careless far too many times allready in this place, and now was not the time to do so again.
Taking stock of his arrow supply he found that he only had six of the original 20 left. Therefore if he had to use his bow ahead he would have to pick his shots carefully; not a comforting prospect when he was still fairly new with the bow and had no idea what was waiting for him in that room.
So Link wandered around the magnificent stone chamber, peering around pillars to look for pots. He managed to find another six arrows and even frightened a fairy out of its hiding place. Acting on an impulse he pulled out his empty bottle and caught the fairy inside. Eveyone in Hyrule knew of the healing powers of fairies and it seemed intelligent to bring one along when heading into a potentially dangerous situation.
His preperations complete Link took a deep breath to steady himself and pulled the key to the chamber out of his pocket. Like magic it rose up to the lock and slide itself into place. The tumblurs clicked into place and the chains fell away as the door slid open and Link went inside.

Inside the room it was dark, and quite; everything the same turquoize green as the magnetic stone with the exception of a few patches along the stone. The heavy breathing of a large creature could be heard from within, overpowering the soft clinking of Link’s boots.
Link paused just inside the doorand looked at the creature. Nearly as tall as the room itself and pitch-black in color was a humanoid figure. Bound in thick chains its arms hung beside it dejectedly. From here Link couldn’t make out the exact details of the face, but he could at the very least make out a tusk-shaped carapace head with a ruby colored gem set into the forehead.
“Darbus…” Link whispered, his pity going out to the pained patriarch as he stepped forward.
As he did so what appeared to be an eye flashed inside the gem and it began to glow. The glowing orange eyes of the creature snapped open and it looked up. Glancing and tugging at its chains and growling angrily it threw its head back and roared as its entire body burst into flames. The metal chains that bound him turned red-hot from the heat, making them soft and pliable. Snapping them easily it leaned down and roared in Link’s face radiating heat worse than the pools of lava had. Link nearly succumbed to that heat right there, but his promise to help the patriarch forced him to remain steadfast.
Until this fight is over he’s not Darbus, Link said to himself, He’s an enemy and I have to defeat him.
As he thought this a name flashed across his mind. The name of the creature: the twilight igniter, Fyrus, a minion of the King of Darkness.
Fyrus swung its chains at Link catching him off guard with its speed. He was slammed into one of the rooms stone pillars, winded and dazed. He crumpled to the floor his mind in a hazy fog. Midna’s voice cut through that fog.
“Shoot for the gem!” she said frantically, “That’s its weak spot!”
Without even realizing what he was doing he pulled his bow off his back, notched an arrow, and fired it into the ruby in one fluid motion.
Howling in pain and grasping at the gem futily Fyrus staggered around the room.
“Now!” Midna said, “Trip the blasted thing!”
Understanding what she meant Link grabbed hold of one of the chains that had bound Fyrus’ feet and planted his own firmly on the magnetic rock. When the chain grew taunt he pulled backwards with all his strength. Turning to look backwards and growling in protest Fyrus crashed to the floor, it’s head colliding with a pillar. Stunned, but not dead, it’s fires dimmed temporarily which allowed Link to get close to it.
Replacing his bow and drawing his sword Link ran to Fyrus’ head, being careful to only walk on the true stone of the floor lest he become accidentally magnetized to it. Finding that his sword could cut through the crimson stone as easily as flesh Link slashed wildy at it as Fyrus howled in agony.
When it finally recovered from its stunned state it pushed Link away with its head and stood up igniting its fires once more. Before it could try and hit him with a different tactic Link had fired another arrow into the ruby and the process began again.
Link was sweating buckets when Fyrus rose the third time and the sweat running into his eyes threw off his aim. The arrow meant for the ruby rebounded off the metal armor on Fyrus’ head. Annoyed by this Fyrus backhanded Link across the room.
He colided hard with the wall and fell limply to the floor. Wincing as he tried to sit up he realized that he must have gotten a few brokn ribs. The front of his tunic had been burned away and the chain mail beneath it super-heated from Fyrus’ touch. While he was still helpless Fyrus lumbered towards him, swinging its chains back and forth. Frantically Link notched another arrow and shot the ruby, this time hitting his mark.
While Fyrus stumbled around howling Link pulled out the fairy in the bottle and released it. The tiny pink creature flew around his fallen form sprinkling its healing magic everywhere. Link’s breathing eased as his ribs were healed and his clothes were mended back into perfect condition. Back at full strength he ran and grabbed hold of the chain tripping Fyrus for the third time.Quickly he ran and slashed at the ruby.
He had only struck it once when Fyrus leapt up clutching at its forehead frantically. It staggered backwards, spreading its arms wide, and tipping its head back in agony. The gem shattered, releasing a heart container while Fyrus’ flames were extinguished and it held perfectly still. Then the carpace helmet exploded into shards of twilight before coming back together as the second fused shadow. With the thing no longer on him Darbus collapsed and changed back into his original form.
Link stood perfectly still while the ancient treasure gently glided down to float just above his cupped hands.
“Ee e hee hee! Well done!” Midna giggled, appearing and taking the Fused Shadow, “Now we have two Fused Shadows…”
“Yeah,” Link said, exhausted by his efforts.
“Hmm…You know, you’ve been very helpful so far, so as a reward, I’ll tell you an interesting story,” Midna said, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath as if to steady herself before opening them again, “Zant. That’s the name of the King of Darkness who cast this spell of shadows over your world.”
“Zant?” Link said, noticing the hatred that burned in Midna’s eyes when his name was spoken.
“He’s very stron. You would be nothing to him in your current state…” she said, snorting, “But Zant will never be my King! I have nothing but scorn for his supposed strenght. Not that your Zelda is much better…” She put the Fused Shadow away and crossed her arms over her chest bitterly. “It still appals me that this world of light is controlled by that princess. A carefree youth, a life of luxury…How does that teach duty?”
“Midna…?”
“…But I guess I shouldn’t begrudge her the circumstances of her life. She didn’t choose it, after all. And I would never wish harm on her…” she said, no longer addressing Link, but speaking to herself instead, “No, as long as I can get my hands on the Fused Shadows, I’ll be just fine.”
She looked up from her contemplation to see Link staring at her curiously. Blushing slightly she floated over to the side and created a portal out of the mines.
“Well, just one more left…Shall we? Eee hee hee!”
“Just a moment Midna,” Link said, going over to pick up the heart container and to speak with the now concious Darbus.
He collected the heart container and felt the increased strength flow through him. Then he went over and touched Darbus lightly on the shoulder to get his attention. The large Goron raised his head and Link got his first true look at the Goron leader.
He was massive. Larger even than the confused Goron he’d had to fight in order to obtain the bow. Large stones amplified the size of his already broad shoulders and his stone hair was cut flat like a mountain ledge off the top of his head.
Darbus held his head in hands as he stood up, paying no attention at all to Link. With his eyes pinched together in pain he spoke out loud to himself.
“Unnngh…Urrgh…Hmm?” he grunted, opening his eyes to look around, “What am I doing here? Unngh…My head, it aches…Urrgh…So much pain…I cannot remember anything…”
He couldn’t remember how he had come to be in the mines or what had happenned to him, but he would be allright. His sudden memory loss might even be better for him than if her were to know the truth.
Confident that the leader of the Gorons would be able to find his own way safely out of the mines Link stepped into the portal Midna had created and left.