Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Wolf of Time ❯ A Hero's Climb ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A hero’s climb


Sleep finds me easily tonight. A soft bed cradles me, with a pillow even. Warm blankets upon me. It’s going to be a good rest.

Restless...

The noise... it pries open my eyes. That ear piercing cackle…a cuckoo, outside somewhere. I can’t do much from this cozy bed, except try to get back to sleep. The pillow does not stop the voice from reaching me. It continues long into the night. Exactly how long before I slip into unconsciousness I’m unaware, but once it comes, I welcome it.

Daylight breaks...

When next I open my eyes I see the bright morning sun shining outside the window, but not through it. It must already be past noon! I spring from the sheets and rush for my equipment, which I had left on the dresser the previous night. Just as I was reach for the doorknob I remember my sisters had always told me to make my bed before leaving the room. I take a good deal of care in folding the sheets in the way my sisters had taught me, placing them on top of the pillow so that Poe nightmares won’t be absorbed into it and infest the dreams of the next person to sleep there. My sisters were always critical of this point for some reason. I rushed out the door into the main room of the hospitable home to find Doris sitting at the table with a cup of tea. I nearly trip down the stairs, quickly spurting out gratuities and thanks in a squabbled blur as I make towards the door.

“Just a moment, young man.” She says authoritatively, smiling. “Just because you’re in a hurry doesn’t mean you should forget your things.”

At this point I check myself over once. My sword and dagger are both secured tightly. I have my pants on. My boots are in place. Its then that I realize I hadn’t taken them off the night before and slept the whole night through like that. I gaze at my gracious hostess with a curious look.

She stands up and picks up a satchel from the counter top, placing it over my shoulder. “There’s some salted Dodongo jerky, a bit of milk, and a handkerchief in there for you dreary. Don’t overdo it now, and you come back to visit us any time you want.”

I smile and thank her. She smiles in turn, readjusting the straps that hold my sword and dagger in place so they weren’t twisted. She then patted me on the shoulders, turning me around towards the door.

“Now go, go child! The climb up the mountain is nothing to laugh at!” She tells me and ushers me out the door. Once outside, she points towards the mountain itself. “My husband should be at the gate with your horse. Now you be sure to take care, and you be sure to stop back in on your back and any other time you need a place to stay, alright?”

I nod. “I will, and thank you for all your hospitality.”

She pats me on the back and gives me a little push towards the door. “Now get going! You’re burning daylight!”

Toe to Toe...

The sun is already high above me as I suspected. I get up to the gate at edge of the town, and the foot of the mountain itself. There standing is Carl, my hostess’ husband, with my steed tied to a hitching post. I recognize him from the unique faceguard.

“Well look who’s awake!” he jokingly comments as he lifts the face guard.

“Yeah... I just couldn’t seem to get to sleep last night.”.

He nods. “I see. Too bad you missed breakfast. Doris makes some delicious pancakes.”

I give him a half a smile, even though I don’t know what the food is. “I’m sure she does. I must have some when next I pass though.”

He chuckles. “Well we’d love to have you. Since our son left home it’s been a bit more difficult to fill our days. But enough of my chatter. You have a mountain to climb right?”

I stare up towards the peak. “Yup... How far up is the Goron City?”

He stares up with me. “Its on the edge of the crater. At one point you have to climb straight up, so letting your horse stay here would probably be the best idea.” He turns back towards me. “Also, be aware of the Dodongos. They’re big green lizards that breathe fire out their mouths. If you see one, I suggest making tracks in the other direction.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” I face him once more. “Thank you again for all your help. You and Doris have been so kind, really, I don’t know how I can ever repay your hospitality.” I walk over to my steed and start unbuckling one of the pouches, fastening it over my shoulder.

“Just come on back sometime and say hello. I know that Doris really enjoyed you staying with us, even if it was for just one night.” He smiles warmly. “Good luck.”

I smile back. “Thank you, but hopefully, I won’t need it.”

With that, he opens the gate and I step through onto the path leading up the mountain.

Up, up...

A few hours pass as I climb along the path. It winds back and forth so as to save me a steep climb. My mind wanders a bit. The weather is pleasantly warm and there is not a single cloud in the sky that I can see. I notice that up ahead, after the next turn, that the path disappears behind some rocks. A glance at the town tells me that I’m nearly halfway up the mountain by now. A breeze blows and I close my eyes to revel in it as a shadow passes over me. Wait. Something is not right.

I leap backwards on the path, and open my eyes to see a sickly yellow leg with two yellow claws fall inches in front of my face. As the vermin lands I get a better look at its form, a spindly creature with four spined yellow legs extending from its body, each with a pair of red claws sprawling out from the ends. These legs connect to a fiery red body held about three feet off the ground, with a single glaring red eye fixed on me. The exterior of the creature catches a bit of the light, so I’m lead to believe its some kind of natural armor. It begins to turn towards me, and crouches its body low to the ground, preparing for another leap. My sword is a little weary from yesterday’s scuff with the giant-er, windmill, so I draw the dagger at my side. I carefully study my opponent’s movements, and recall my sisters’ training:

“If an enemy looks like it’s going to rush you, do not meet them head on. Ready your attack, and draw them in until they are too close to be able to actively defend themselves.”

I take a stance, with my dagger ready. It seems like an eternity as I wait and watch the creature but finally, in a flash I see its leg twitch, then it lunges. I push my dagger forward into what I believe to be its weakest point: the creature’s eye. The creature lets out a loud squeal of pain, and blue blood splashes across my hand as its body hits me, sending me to the ground. I scramble to get to my feet, and the squealing quickly ceases. I walk over to the lifeless body, pluck my dagger from its glazed over eye and clean it on my shirt. Sheathing it, I continue up the path.

Around the next bend I walk, only to be greeted by an unexpected surprise. Another of these creatures already in mid flight, rushing towards me. No time to draw my dagger. I bring up my arms to meet it as its body collides with mine. I grip the creature’s legs and using the momentum from its attack, swing around, throwing it a little ways down the path. It skids to a stop on those spindle supporters, and begins to scuttle around, turning to face me. As its eye peers back around at me, I realize the sun has gone into hiding. Leaping back, I barely dodge another falling creature from above, just the same as the other two. This one shuffles to turn its body as well, and I take a step backwards, drawing my dagger now. Facing both of them, I plan on using the same tactic as I had on the first creature, and take my stance. The closest one crouches low to the ground, focused on me. Finally it leaps, but now in the way I had expected. Straight up the foe flies as my muscles tense, and I half thrust my dagger forward with my eyes fixed on the vermin above me. The sun’s stare is bright in my sight, and distracts me. A blow lands in my chest, and knocks me to the ground. With an adequate distraction, the beast behind the airborne jumper took the opportunity to fling itself at me. A coordinated attack was the last thing I expected from such simple creatures. As my eyes shift from the creature on my chest to the one making its decent, I now see why this is such an effective attack. Below the creature’s body opened a dark, snarling mouth brimming with teeth that could easily reduce leather to mere shreds. As it plummets down, I realize in this instance, it can’t see me at all. In a hopeless effort, I thrust my dagger up, into its parted jaws. Its teeth dig into my flesh as it squeals. I grunt in pain but flail my arm, able to pull my weapon from the now lifeless corpse, my forearm drenched in its vivid blood. Kicking my legs, finally I fight the creature back that has me pinned. I scramble to my feet, and take a running start up to the critter, kicking it hard. Not a very calculated maneuver, but effective nonetheless. Down the path it falls, landing on its back with its legs flailing in the air. Before it can manage to regain its footing, I pass the dagger to my other hand, draw my sword and rush over, plunging the blade into its chattering maw. Another of the creatures near ear piercing screams echoes across the rocks. I free my blade from the body, and look up the path. It curves again not far up. No other “friends” are in view I wipe the tip of my sword clean and sheathe it, keeping my dagger ready in case of another attack, and begin to walk again.

As I reach the bend, I glance back at the field of the combat. Three fiery red bodies catch my eye instead of just two. Another of the creatures has appeared now. For whatever reason, it didn’t come after me. As I head further up the path, it overlooks the scene. The new vermin is crouching over one of the bodies. As near as I can tell it’s... eating. These beasts eat their wounded and dead. Savage. I had better hurry before the creature decides it may like something a bit more meaty. If there were any more than the one eating, they would be joining in the feast. Still I keep my dagger out. Who knows what other beasts lay in this mountain.

Not far from where I was last ambushed I see a large collection of boulders. They must have slid down the side of the mountain and all landed here. Not far from the pile is a signpost. At least I’ll know if I’m going the right way... I approach it and read the text.

“Dodongo’s Cavern”

Well I guess I wont have to worry about any “Dodongos”, but that still doesn’t give me any clue as to how much further to the home of the Gorons. I look up ahead on the path. Near the next bend is another signpost. My approach shows that the cliff separating me from the view of the summit drops off and becomes a more climbable face: unworked stone steps. They’re large steps, yet steps nonetheless, with the signpost at the foot aside a large post with a tattered red cloth tied at the top. The sign reads: “Dodongo’s Cavern” and points further down the trail as it wraps around the mountain’s side. I notice another sign, hastily nailed to the large post. This one points up the mountain further, reading: “Goron City.”

The large steps advance a ways up the mountain, then I lose sight of them. Well... up and away I suppose...

Step by Step

Each of the steps varies in height from my waist to just barely above my head. Climbing them is awkward. After half a dozen or so, I finally reach the top of them. The summit is in sight. My new path is wide, and becomes flanked on either side by a high, unworked wall of rock. It dips downward at first with plenty of stone debris, then levels back out and meets a wall... A wall? What am I? A Skullwalltula?! I allow myself a heavy sigh, and turn to gaze back at the town below.

As I turn, I’m confused at my first sight. That confusion quickly melts to wonderment. I can hardly believe how far below the town actually is. Did I really climb all that way since noon? Then I see the sunset. Din almighty, I didn’t know she could create colors this magnificent. The setting sun has turned the sky a golden yellow at the horizon and fades to a pastel blue above, with the faintest sea green bordering the two. The few clouds that litter the sky are shadowed in a violet that makes them look like a silken storm, outlined in a glowing pink where Din’s radiance halos them. I look up, and see how the pastel blue fades to a deep navy, with pink wispy clouds strewn about. The sight captivates me until I see the last rays of sun disappear over the distant horizon, leaving a soft glow as if a struggling fire was burning just out of sight. The first few stars of the evening peek out from the deepened sky, and I turn my attention to the remained of my climb. With a deep breath, I start again on the path.

The sky is falling

But a few steps onward and I feel the ground begin to shake, as though a giant Leever were crawling just beneath me. I break out into a hard sprint towards the distant wall at the thought of the beast rising up to snatch me. The tremble grows, and my mind races, wondering if I will be able to outrun the worm. Suddenly, as I continue to barrel forward, a dull pain at the back of my head throws me off balance. I stagger, and fall to the ground. Not a moment too soon, for as I look up from where I lay, a boulder falls but a few feet from my nose, smashing into bits from its fall. I can feel a gentle heat from the glowing stones. I look upwards at the peak of the mountain, and see it glowing in the same manner. I realize now that the danger was not below me, but above me. Stones raining down, hurtled from the summit. I scramble to my feet and begin to run again, keeping close eyes on the plummeting rocks. Several tumbles, short stops, and leaping plunges forward finally see me to the wall. I press myself to the unworked face, panting hard. Feeling no other trembling now except that within my breast, I glance back at the fresh craters behind me. If I didn’t know any better, it almost seemed as though the rocks were seeking me out in their decent... I breathe a sigh of relief that the ordeal is over, and catch my breath before attempting the climb before me.

The wall seems to be somewhere between sixty and eighty feet up I estimate, but then again with the starry night above, its hard to tell now. Noticeable cliffs, almost like shelves are littered up the face, some look large enough to rest on. The cool, unworked stone makes for easy hand holds and foot holds. My left foot slips about ten feet up, but I manage to hold myself. Not too long after that and I pull myself onto the first ledge. Looking out over the face of the mountain I’ve climbed, I begin to feel light headed. I fall back into a sitting position, and hold my head, realizing that I haven’t had a thing to eat all day. I chuckle thinking how Doris would scold me, and tell me that I need to take better care of myself. Opening the satchel she gave me, I feel the rumble grow more impatient. I pull out a packet of dried meat wrapped in parchment, and a small, corked, ceramic jug. I take in the night as I savor the spiced jerky. The taste reminds me of home, and is enhanced by the milk, which creates the sensation of a burning cold from following the hot spice. I take my time in enjoying the meal, the last bit of giving me a satisfying fullness. I wipe my mouth with the handkerchief packed for me, and pack it along with the blank parchment and empty jug back into the satchel. I sit for a bit longer, letting the food settle within me, before regaining my feet, and beginning my climb again.

Another twenty feet up and I find the next ledge. As I pull my way halfway up, I hear a scuttling. I look up just in time to see a Skullwalltula lunge at me. I lose my grip on the ledge. Next thing I know, I’m on my back, a dull pain crawling through me from my spine and hips, my lungs trying desperately to claw at the air. Unable to find any, I begin to gasp in short heaves, barely able to move. After long minutes I’m finally able to roll onto my side, still begging for when I can take full breaths again. The time is a blur, but after a lifetime, I find my wind, and my feet. Now I can realize where I am: back on the ledge where I just ate. Remembering the fall is still somewhat of a blur. Panting, I draw my dagger and put it between my teeth, intent on making it up this wall. Hand over hand I pull myself back up to the ledge with the spider. I draw the dagger from my teeth, and pulling myself over the edge, make a sweeping swing with it. It drags across two of the spider’s legs and it lets out a light squeal. I pull back my arm and stab at it to finish it off. It’s movements stop, and I pull myself fully onto the ledge, kicking the body to the ground so far below. Hopefully, no more surprises await me on the ledges further. Still I place the dagger between my teeth again and continue to climb.

As I peer over the next ledge, I see that its clear and pull myself up. I lightly brush myself off as I look up the rest of the cliff, not a moment too soon. I see another Skullwalltula, this one living up to its name as it scuttles down the unworked stone at me. Before I can think of how to handle the arachnid, it lunges for me. Instinctively I bring up my hand and swing at it, knocking it from the air to the ground far below to meet with its cousin’s corpse. I peer over the edge, then remember the dagger in my teeth... Oh well. The top of the cliff is only another twenty or so feet up.

With a solid foothold, and a good grip at the top of the cliff. I pull the dagger from my teeth and slowly pull myself over. Looking around I see no creatures to knock me back down, still I linger, just to be certain. After a few long minutes of looking, and a cramp in my leg, I hoist myself up. The surface is surrounded by stone, with a cave entrance facing me, entering into the mountain. The top of the cliff is rather small, and looks like it was carved out of the mountain’s side strictly for the purpose of this doorway. Without warning, the ground begins to shake, and the cave belches out a cloud of hot air. I have to close my eyes at the heat and brace myself so as not to lose my footing. As I squint at the entrance and start towards it, I see a round figure emerge and say:

“What’s all this then?”