Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ To Forge the Master ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
To Forge the Master
Chapter 6

The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.
~Charles DuBois


Savas opened his eyes at the creak of rusty hinges. Morning light was just beginning to spill into the high windows and cast the dungeon into deep shadows. This was his second day and he had not seen any creature other than the rats who shared his space. His arms and hands had long ago gone numb from the lack of blood, and his legs were tired from holding up his weight. The back of his throat was like sandpaper and his stomach ached.

The hinges whined again before a heavy metal slam echoed around the room. Savas lifted his head to see a tiny mouse of a girl coming his way. Her head was down and she scurried across the floor like an abused dog trying to avoid its foul-tempered master. Her hair, once blonde, hung in tangled, dirty locks around a boney face with sunken eyes. Blue eyes were surrounded by bloodshot whites and sleep-deprived puffiness, and clean tracks cut paths to her nose and chin through the dirt on her face.

She wore an upended grain sack and no shoes. The back of the sack was a crisscross of crimson marks, dry and wet. Dry blood stained her bare legs, turning black where it mixed with the dirt. Her nails were dirty and unkempt, one broken off clear to the quick. The parts of her arms and legs visible were thin and trembled under the effort of holding any weight.

In her shaky hands she balanced a tray with food and water. She kept her eyes lowered as she walked, but cast quick glances over her shoulder every few steps. She stopped at his feet and placed the tray on the floor.

Casting one more anxious look over her shoulder, she bit her lip, and took the bowl from the plate. It was filled with steaming gray mush and smelled worse than it looked. The girl gave it a stir with the spoon, looking envious, then scooped some out and lifted it up to him. Even standing on her tiptoes, she was too small and he had to lower his head to accept the food. This continued for several minutes without a word spoken.

The mush was thick as peanut butter and tasted like overcooked vegetables, but after several days without food Savas was not going to complain. As the bowl grew emptier, the girl began to look even more envious – looking back at the door more often as she stirred the mush to give him another spoonful.

When he could stomach no more mush she offered him the slice of bread, but it was so stale it would have been better served as a builder’s brick. Finally she offered him the water. It was in cup that looked like it had never been washed and felt slimy against his lips. He managed to take a couple of swallows, but their size difference meant most of it splashed to the floor.
As soon as he was finished, the girl collected the tray and hurried from the room.

&&&

“I can’t believe you did that, Farore,” Nayru scolded. “After all we talked about.”

“I know,” Farore replied, looking up at her older sister with pleading eyes. “But he was going to die, I just know it. I had to help.”

Nayru gave a patient sigh. “If he does not do this on his own–”

“He will be of no use when his trials have ended,” Din finished mockingly. “You’re like a poor musician who only knows one tune.”

“And yet neither of you listen to me.” Nayru frowned. “From now on we must have faith in our choice. We have each helped him once; from now on he must do this on his own. Is that agreed?”

“...Okay,” Farore said reluctantly.

“Sure.” Din shrugged.

&&&

Link groaned as reality washed over him like a bucket of ice water on a hot day. His entire body ached. He opened his eyes to find an emerald green sky overhead. Blinking and rubbing his eyes did not correct the strange heaven. Finally, he sat up with a great deal of effort.

The room around him had a stone floor with the strange flowering vines creeping along the cracks. Overhead, a pyramid of translucent green walls climbed into the sky, each leaning on the others for support. Underneath him was a carpet of the softest green moss. On his right were his sword, shield, quiver, and bow. On his left lay Sheik, still unconscious, his swords lain out in a similar fashion.

“You are awake.” The voice was lilting and unhurried. Link turned to find a woman standing next to him. He was sure she had not been there a moment ago. The woman was a tall, willowy figure with darkly tanned skin. Hair the color of new leaves tumbled down past her shoulders and wide hunter green eyes peered at him. She was clothed in a tunic of pale moss green that came down to the middle of her thighs. She had on no leggings and her feet were bare. She knelt down next to him and ran her long fingers across his cheek. “It is good.”

“Who...” Link began, then shook his head. “You’re the Spirit of the Forest?”

“I am,” she replied in her unhurried manner. “And I know what it is you seek.” She turned her head and he followed her gaze. A pillar of green light had appeared, shining down from the very top of the pyramid. It glistened, like water cascading into space from a waterfall. It throbbed slowly and steadily. The sword in his hand answered the throbbing with a throb of its own and Link looked down at it, wondering when he had picked it up.

The light throbbed again. This time it was more than light, it was sound. A deep resonating heartbeat that sang in his blood and made the steel of the sword vibrate. Again he found his body moving without his consent, the throbbing heartbeat drawing him into its core.

He looked up, but all he could see was a green haze and his world pulsating more and more quickly. He could not feel the ground under his feet or the warmth of the sun overhead. There was no up or down, just the endless green, the throbbing, and the answering pulsating of his sword.

Then it all changed. In an instant he saw all of Hyrule laid out before him, and yet it was not Hyrule as he had ever seen it. Closest to him was the forest, but it was strangely dim, with only tightly clustered patches of vivid green light. Link reached out with his free hand and touched one bundle, and he knew in an instant they were the Kokiri.

He looked farther, seeing the rest of the land. Most of the area was an even green, with small patches of brighter green scattered about. The towns showed up as blinding dots – as the many people hurried about their lives.

But then there was a darkness, nestled almost hidden between a large blob that teamed with lights and another that lacked any light at all. But the Darkness was different. It was not as if it lacked light, but as if it was a void that was slowly eating away at the light around it. Curious, Link reached out to touch it. The sword in his hand reacted with a pulse so strong that it almost made him drop it.

Quickly, he grabbed the hilt with both hands, knowing somehow instinctively that he must not let go. The steel blade flashed an iridescent emerald and began to pulse faster than ever. Link could hear his blood rushing in his ears as his heart pounded, seemingly in time with the rhythm set by the sword. The hysterical beat vibrated his body until he felt like he would rip apart.

The blade flashed again and the world of green around him began to spiral. The light wrapped around the sword like fabric being wound into a bolt, with each layer vanishing into the blade. With each layer the steel of the blade grew darker green and the world of light encasing him grew dimmer.

His feet found the ground again and he stumbled, but managed to stay upright without losing his grip on the sword. The light forming the top of the pyramid had faded, leaving him standing on an empty plateau. Sheik was sitting up, looking dazed and confused. The Spirit stood next to him, as still as stone except for the breeze that stirred her hair and tunic.

Finally the swirling and vibrating stopped, leaving Link coated in a sheen of sweat. He gasped for breath, his chest heaving in an attempt to take in enough air. His fingers hurt from gripping the sword so tightly, but he still could not let go. The glowing green sword flashed in his hands, sending another tiny pulse through his body. Absently he wandered why the blade suddenly felt so light, weighing almost nothing.

“Link.” The lilt voice of the Spirit caressed his ear. He turned his head slightly, too tired to do much else, and found himself looking into her dark green eyes. “Seek out my sister in the place where the lifeblood of Hyrule flows.”

“Huh?” Link asked, but he got no answer. Even before he spoke, the Spirit faded into shimmering green light and wrapped herself around the sword. The blade hummed and Link braced himself for whatever was going to happen next.

The sword pulsed again, though this time it was only once, but it felt more like an explosion. Green light rushed out from the sword in a wave. The light swept through the trees and through Link. For an instant in time he could see the forest in his mind. He could see the light infusing into the earth and the trees. The spider creatures fell before the light, while fairies and forest creatures sprang to life seemingly out of thin air.

Link’s body tingled slightly as he watched the blade absorb the green light and turn back to its original highly polished steel. His body crumpled and Link found himself sitting on the cold stone. The sword was still clutched in one hand as it clattered onto the stone.

“Link?” Sheik knelt down next to him, a worried look in his eyes. “Are you all right?”

“Yeah... yeah, fine.” Link shook his head and rubbed his eyes with the heel of his free hand. “Just tired.”

“All right.” Sheik put his arm around Link’s back and helped him to his feet. “I don’t think this is a good place to rest, though. Let’s find somewhere safer.”

“Yeah...” Link answered as his head lolled forward.

Link opened his eyes, surprised to find a starry sky overhead. His body still ached as if he had spent a day hard at work, every muscle groaning as he sat up. He looked around and found Sheik with his back to him, calmly stoking a small fire. Almost absently he reached around for his sword, finding it comfortably in its sheath.

They had not made it far, setting up camp at the very base of the pyramid. Link wondered for a moment where the rest of the temple had gone – not seeing any walls or rooms in view – but quickly pushed the question aside, too tired to care. He leaned back, attempting to go back to sleep, when a rumble in his stomach told him why he was up in the first place.

With a groan he sat back up. Sheik turned around to look at him. “You know, Link, I also require sleep. So I would be very grateful if you could stop hogging all of it.” His green eyes glittered in amusement as he spoke.

“Yeah, whatever.” Link tried to laugh. “Is there anything to eat? I’m starving.”
“You should be,” Sheik replied. “You worked your green-clad butt off today, then slept through lunch and dinner.” He spooned a thick stew into a bowl and passed it to Link. “It’s a little cold...” Link did not bother letting him finish before he tucked in to the food. Sheik raised an eyebrow as Link sucked down the meal in record time, then looked around for more. Link ate two more bowls before he stopped.

“That was good.” Link flopped back down on the ground with a contented sigh.

Sheik only shook his head. “Get some more sleep, Hero, you still look beat.”

“What about you?” Link yawned as he rolled on his side. His eyes slid closed as he nestled his face into the crook of his arm. “I’ll protect you... remember.” The last word slipped out as more of a breath as he dozed back off.

Sheik regarded him for a moment, then smiled and shook his head. “What is it the goddesses see in you, Hero?”

&&&

The Kokiri had been overjoyed by their return and insisted on celebrating. They had set out a feast of fruits, berries, nuts, vegetables, and many other forest-grown foods. To drink they were served a weak wine made from mixed berries. No meat was served and Sheik pointed out to Link that the Kokiri were vegetarians. The child-like race capped off the evening by making both men official Kokiri – presenting them each with a floppy cone hat. Even Mido grudgingly admitted they had done well.

Sheik took his hat off as soon as he politely could do so. But the floppy hat amused Link and he decided to wear it, in spite of Sheik’s comments on his appearance.

After a night spent in a house specially built for adult-sized guests, and a very lengthy goodbye – where all the Kokiri insisted they take gifts of food, amulets for good health or luck, and spear weapons they had scavenged over the year – Link and Sheik finally made it out of the forest not long after noon. Link whistled and Nightfire came charging over the hill, Blu, Sheik’s horse, close on his heels.

“So, Hero, where to?” Sheik asked as they captured their horses.

“She said ‘you can find my sister where the blood of Hyrule flows,’” Link replied. “I’m not sure what that means.”

“Where the blood of Hyrule flows?” Sheik repeated as they began packing the contents of their saddlebags into the magic pouches. The horses seemed glad to be rid of the burden. “Generally, or at least in olden times, ‘blood of the land’ was a term for water.”

“So Lake Hylia then,” Link replied with a smile.

“Maybe,” Sheik answered carefully. “Let’s see a map.” Link complied, digging the map out of his pouch and holding it out so they could both see. Sheik pointed to the lake. “Now, it is true that all the rivers and streams in Hyrule flow to this lake. But,” he drug his finger across the parchment to the other side of the map to where a waterfall was pouring into a much smaller body of water, “it is also true that all the rivers and streams in Hyrule flow in through the Zora’s domain.”

“So you think she meant the Zora’s Domain then?” Link asked with a sigh.

“That’s the rub.” Sheik frowned. “The clue didn’t specify.”

“I guess we could go to Lake Hylia first and then to the Zora’s domain if it isn’t there.” Link shrugged as he rolled up the map and tucked it away.

“Yes.” Sheik nodded, stepping into the stirrups and swinging up into the saddle. “But Lake Hylia is five days of hard riding from here. Then we would have to ride back across Hyrule to get to the Zora’s domain. That’s another week and a half, at least.”

“Do you have a better suggestion?” Link asked as he settled more comfortably into the saddle.

Sheik swung Blu around to face the east. “The Zora have a secret passage between their domain and the lake. If we go to their place first we can go straight to the lake in a flash, and leave our horses in their care while we’re gone. Plus, it’s only two day’s ride from here.”

Link gave him a flat look. “You’re just afraid I’m right and said it before you did.”

“Hey, you’re the Hero of Hyrule.” Sheik grinned under his scarf. “If you want to go to the lake first, so be it. I’m just your mentor, idol, teacher, superior, wise advice giver, and all around best friend and loyal companion.”

Link laughed. “That poor horse, having to lug your big head around.” Sheik made a rude gesture, but his smile took the bite out of it. “Besides, what happened to ‘I’m just along for the adventure’?”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” Sheik shrugged. “Come on, Hero. Let’s go save the world.”

The rest of the afternoon passed quietly. Link described his experience inside the light, but Sheik could offer little useful advice. When night fell they made camp by the side of a large stream and each took a turn washing the grime from their bodies. Link was just settling in to take the first watch when a flash of fire on steel made him jump.

The strike had been too high and missed by several feet, but it had been with a real sword. Link scurried backwards across the grass, reaching for his own sword even as he turned wide eyes on his friend. Sheik stood back, a smug grin across his face and his green eyes dancing with amusement in the firelight.
“Come on, Hero, grab your sword and fight.” He lifted his twin blades into a fighting stance.
“Are you insane?” Link gawked. “We could kill each other! And after all your complaining, I thought you were tired.”

Sheik spun around, his blades flashing, driving Link back a few paces. “I am tired. But it is a rare enemy indeed who will let you be well fed and rested when they attack.” He struck again, this time bringing the swords so close Link could have sworn they brushed his tunic. “Besides, I’m not worried about you killing me. You’re not that good. Now, Fight!”

Sheik lunged and Link reacted. Metal clanged against metal as their swords met. Link blinked for a moment, not sure when he had drawn the sword at all. Sheik did not let him dwell on it. With another fancy spin he drove Link back, the twin swords clanging against Link’s shield.

Link suddenly found himself on the end of a losing battle. Despite his larger size, Sheik was far more nimble and easily outmaneuvered his every attack. Slowly, almost methodically, the older man drove him around the campfire. His still tired body began to wear down easily. Each clash of steel on steel felt bone jarring.

Sheik landed another blow to his shield, then with a sweep of his foot sent Link to the ground. Link lay there in the grass gulping down air. Sheik stood back, letting him get his breath, but Link could tell by his stance that this was not over yet. Swallowing hard, he pushed himself to his feet and set himself into a defensive position.

Sheik lunged instantly. Link brought his sword up to meet the double blades. Metal clanged against metal and Link ground his feet into the earth. Sheik’s swords scissored Link’s and he began to push. Link set his jaw as green eyes locked with blue. Sheik grinned behind his scarf, knowing his advantage of size, strength, angle, and skill.

A shivering pulse shot up from the sword. Link ground his teeth together and threw his weight into the sword. Sheik’s eyes widened as he was forced back one step, then two. Link drew his sword back and brought it down on the crossed swords, hard. Sheik backpedaled, but Link did not let up. He swung the sword again and again, slamming against Sheik’s guard with all his might.

Sheik took another step back as Link brought his sword down again. Caught off balance he hit the dirt with a firm thud. Link brought the point of the blade down to point only an inch from the other’s throat. Both men stared at each other for a long moment, chests heaving. Sheik’s brow was lowered as he studied the younger man; Link had an overly happy grin on his face. Finally, Link replaced his sword into its sheath.

“I think that’s enough for tonight,” Sheik said as he pushed himself to his feet. “Let’s get some rest. We still have a long ways to go.”

Link was still grinning at him. “And so the student becomes the teacher. Maybe next time we should go back to the sticks. I wouldn’t want to hurt you by accident.”

There was the whisper of a sword being drawn, and Sheik’s elbow met Link’s chest as his feet were knocked out from under him. In the blink of an eye, Link found himself flat on his back, staring up into Sheik’s fierce green eyes. The twin blades were crossed just over his throat, so close he could feel their kiss with each intake of breathe. Sheik’s knee was planted firmly in the middle of Link’s chest, forcing him to fight for every ounce of air. The older man’s jaw was set and his eyes flashed sharply behind his dark hair.

“One victory does not a master make. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Any fool can swing a sword and eventually draw blood. If you hope to best me again, I suggest you take this more seriously, brat.” Sheik withdrew, yanking his swords out of the ground and leaving Link lying there.

Eventually, Link slunk back to the fireside. Sheik was already asleep, his swords laid out next to him in easy reach. Link wrapped his blanket around his shoulders as he huddled next to the fire. His chest ached and it hurt to breathe too deeply. The night passed slowly and when it was time to change shifts, neither spoke to the other.

Link awoke to the most delicious smell. His body ached and he desperately wanted to keep sleeping, but his stomach had other ideas. When the growling and gnawing at his insides would not abate, he finally rolled onto his back and sat up with a yawn. He immediately regretted it. His chest screamed in pain, and he doubled over trying to take shallow breaths until the pain faded.

“Nayru,” he coughed, “that hurt.” He sat up again, this time more slowly. Sheik was crouched next to a small fire cooking slabs of ham. His eyes strayed up for a moment when Link looked at him, but he quickly returned his attention to the food. Carefully Link unlaced the top of his tunic and pulled it off over his head. A large purple bruise marred his chest, its edges fringed with yellow-green. Link grimaced.

Careful not to stress the injury, he found his pouch and began digging around inside. Shortly he came up with a half empty bottle of red potion. He uncorked the top and tilted the remainder down his throat. Swallowing was hard – the pain in his chest almost making him cough the potion back up – but even as the lukewarm liquid settled into his stomach he could feel it going to work.

“Here.” Sheik handed him a plate of food. “Potion can be hard on an empty stomach.”

“Thanks,” Link grunted in return as he settled next to the fire. The plate was stacked with a slab of ham, two hard-boiled eggs, and a sweet roll the Kokiri had sent with them. Looking up, he noticed Sheik’s meal was far more conservative. The other man held his slab of meat between his teeth as he tightened Blu’s saddle. With Sheik’s back to him and the morning mist still clinging to the air, it was hard for Link to make out his expression.

With a sigh, Link broke the sticky bun in half and walked around the fire. “Hey, Sheik.” The other man quickly bit the meat in his mouth, catching the remains in one hand and yanked his scarf over his face with the other. “Here.” Link handed him half the bun and one of the eggs.
Sheik smiled behind his scarf. “Thanks, Hero. Now go get your horse ready. We still have a long ways to go.”

They made good time all morning and by noon they were in the shadows of the high cliffs along Hyrule’s eastern border. A small stream that fed into a pond somewhere farther down babbled happily along beside them. The cliffs provided shade as the sun began its downward journey.

The day passed with little notable event. Sheik talked about swordplay, fighting stances, defensive positions, and underhanded tricks Link could encounter or use. After they stopped, Sheik caught some fish from the stream and they ate them with the last of the sweet rolls. When the food was cleared, Link stood and drew his sword.

“Not tonight, Hero.” Sheik shook his head as he opened his pouch and brought out a wooden box that rattled as he moved it. He set it on the grass in front of him and beckoned Link over. “Have you ever played chess?”

“No,” Link admitted as he sat down. Sheik opened the box, showing how it opened completely so the top and bottom made a flat checkered plain. Inside were dozens of crudely carved pieces of stone, half pale and the other half dark. Link watched, sliding his sword back into its sheath, as Sheik set up the pieces on either end of the board.

“That’s okay. I’ll show you. White or black?”

“Uh... white?”

“All right.” Sheik turned the board so the side with all the pale pieces were on Link’s side. “Here’s how this works. We each have eight pawns,” he gestured to the front line of short pieces, “two rooks – those are the castle-tower-looking ones, two knights – the ones that look like horse heads, two bishops – the only other ones you have two of, they kind of look like they are wearing funny hats. And finally a King and a Queen – the slightly taller one is the King.”

“Got it.” Link nodded as he took a moment to study each piece.

“Good.” Sheik nodded. “That was the easy part. This is a game of strategy and tactics. The objective is to capture my King, that is, move your pieces in such a way that my King cannot move without being captured. This is called checkmate.”

“Sounds simple enough.” Link grinned.

“We’ll see, Hero. Now, each of these pieces moves differently. I’ll start with the pawns. They can only move forward and only one space at a time, except under three circumstances. First, when it is the pawn’s first move, then it has the option of moving one space or two. Second, when a pawn captures another piece it can move one space in the diagonal. Third and finally, should any of your pawns reach my end of the board, you can ‘promote’ it into another piece of your choosing – at which point they can move like the piece they were promoted to.”
“Okay...” Link nodded slowly. Sheik went on to explain about the other pieces, how they moved, and how they could capture other pieces. By the time he was finished, Link felt more confused than when he had first seen all the pieces. Sheik only laughed and said he would pick it up in time.

The first game was spent with Sheik reminding Link how the pieces moved and making suggestions. Link still lost. Several games followed, many with Sheik making positive or negative noises and gestures whenever Link moved. Most were negative. Link lost every game. Sheik shrugged and said it took practice. Link went to bed frustrated as well as confused.

When Link opened his eyes the next morning he found himself staring point blank at the business end of a sword; and for the longest moment of his life, it was all he could see. Slowly his eyes followed the cutting edge up to a hand, then an arm, and finally to a laughing pair of green eyes under locks of black hair.

“Dammit, Sheik,” Link groaned as he rolled over. “It is too early for more of your war games.”

“It’s never too early or too late to be attacked, Hero,” Sheik replied, and tumbled Link out of bed before the younger boy could react. Link glared at him as he pushed himself up off the dew-covered grass. “Let’s go.”

Link grabbed his sword and shield as he irritably took up his stance, past experience telling him that Sheik would not let him sleep. As usual Sheik attacked as soon as Link was in position, and the clear cry of metal on metal pierced the thick morning mist.

It was strange, Link thought as they clashed, but Sheik seemed less forceful than usual. His strikes, that had only yesterday made his arm tremble with each blow, barely vibrated his shield. He also could not help smiling each time he forced the older man to retreat a step with a powerful blow. But when Sheik dodged around a blow, letting Link’s own momentum bring him face first into the dirt, he decided it was only because it was early.

He pulled himself off the ground to find Sheik giving him a strange look, but it was gone so fast he might have imagined it. Sheik smiled and beckoned him to attack. Link lunged. Sheik slipped nimbly under his sword and slammed a shoulder into Link’s stomach. The wind rushed out of his lungs, leaving him sprawled on the ground gasping for breath.

When he looked up again, Sheik was gone. The morning fire crackled merrily, and the meat cooking over it popped enticingly, but there was nothing else but grass and fog. The stream babbled softly in the background as Link scanned the area, still trying to catch his breath in the wet air. A flash caught his eye, but it was gone before he could find the source.

All around him the world seemed to stand still. The stillness was unnerving, not even a bird sang. The longer Sheik remained hidden, the more nervous Link became. Another flash and he spun around to find nothing.

“Gotcha,” Sheik whispered in his ear as cold steel pressed against his throat. Link gaped. He had not heard a sound, not even the slightest crunch of feet on grass. Sheik grinned as he stepped back, and slipped his dagger back under his white leather armor.

“That’s cheating.” Link pouted.

“All is fair in love and war,” Sheik replied with a shrug. “Come on, Hero. I’ll play you in another round of chess over breakfast.”

The food was good, and the berry wine from the Kokiri was better on his parched throat. But the chess game went as badly as the night before. Sheik always seemed to be three moves ahead of him. When he pointed this out, the older man had just smiled and added a flippant, “You’re still learning.”

They set off from camp at a slow walk, staying close to the stream to keep them on course, but as the fog lifted they picked up their pace. Sheik watched the water carefully, but kept his thoughts to himself. Just after noon, the stream met with a much larger river. They had to forge the river, then followed it to where it spilled out of a canyon.

“Welcome to the Zora’s River,” Sheik said as he shaded his eyes and looked up at the cliff tops before sliding off his horse. “From here on in it’s rough going, we’ll have to lead the horses on foot.”

Sheik led the way between the river and the canyon wall, keeping to a well hidden path covered in overgrown grass. The trail was steep, climbing several meters, then suddenly dropping sharply so they had to half-slide down the hill. The horses complained, but reluctantly followed. At the bottom the path widened and leveled out so they were walking on a grassy bank. The river rushed past them on their right and sheer cliffs made up a wall on their left.

“I guess I should tell you a little about Zora politics before we arrive,” Sheik mused absently. “I’d really hate for you to make an ass of yourself.”

“Sure...” Link sighed, giving Sheik a measured look.

“Don’t worry, this is easy stuff.”

“I think you’ve said the same thing about chess and swordplay,” Link replied.

Sheik waved the comment off as they waded across a small feeder stream. “Of all the races, the Zora are the most like the Hyrulians. They have a monarchy, ruled by a king, but truth be told it’s the queen who’s in charge. Her name is Rite, ironically. After them comes their heir, Kaimana. You’ve met him. He was in front of you back in Castle Town.” Link nodded, remembering the Zora with the bright blue fins.

“After him comes the advisers,” Sheik continued. “They are the generals and members of influential families. There are six of them, but you’ll have to meet them yourself. I think trying to explain who is who right now would just be confusing. Below them are the rest of the Zora. That’s where they differ from the Hyrulians the most. The Zora live in a community and take care of each other. Only the royal family and their advisers have private quarters.”

A high pitched screech cut through the air, making both men cover their ears and the horses balk. They turned to see a small Zora careening down the fast moving river, his arms flailing wildly as he screeched.

“Link, wait!” Sheik yelled as the younger man sprinted down the bank. Without a moment’s thought, he dove into the water, right in the boy’s path. The water caught him instantly, but he turned into the current – searching frantically for the child. He caught sight of him being swept straight towards him and reached out. The boy let out a screech far different from the ones he had been and, with a surprisingly powerful kick of his legs, shot back upstream and disappeared. Link swept along for a moment, staring blankly at the now empty water.

“Link!” Sheik called from the shore. Breaking out of his daze, Link swam to shore and pulled himself from the water. Sheik walked up to him with an amused look in his eyes. “Did you have a nice swim, Hero?” Link gave him a dour look as he wrung the water out of his tunic. “Tell me, you do know what a Zora is, right?”

“Yes, I know what a Zora is!” Link snapped.

“Then what exactly was that about?” Sheik asked, waving towards the water.

“It was a child in distress,” Link answered irritably.

Sheik laughed. “It wasn’t in distress, it was playing.” Link gave him a quizzical look. Sheik shook his head patiently. “Link, Zora are born underwater. They can swim and breathe water before they can walk or breathe air. All you did was scare the poor thing back to his mother.”

“Great.” Link sighed. Sheik slapped him on the back and smiled.

“Don’t worry about it. He’s probably too young to be that far from home alone anyway. And your heart was in the right place.” Link gave him a grin and Sheik ruffled his hair. “Even if your head wasn’t.” Link swung at him. Sheik laughed and danced nimbly out of the way. “Still too slow, Hero.”

They retrieved their horses from where Sheik had tied them and continued their trek. They crossed a bridge and rounded a corner to see a huge waterfall falling behind a crisscross of rising earthen arches. The water thundered over the rocks, making talking impossible. Sheik pointed to the paths, over to a small cave on their right, and then motioned for Link to follow him.

The inside of the cave was dimly lit in pale blue light that seemed to come from the very walls around them. It stretched back into the wall of the cliff. Blu followed without complaint, but Nightfire was less enthusiastic. When they reached the back of the cave, the path t-boned into another, much wider path.

On the right was a short series of five stalls. To the left, the cave sloped down and filled with water before a much longer series of stalls appeared. While the dry stalls were made of wood and bedded with hay, the underwater stalls were made of stone and bedded with live seaweed growing from the bottom. The dry stalls were empty, but several of the underwater stalls had occupants.

Each had the head and front legs of a horse, but the back half of their bodies stretched and narrowed before ending in a large, fleshy tail – much like the dolphins in a book Papa Lon had bought once. They ranged in color from deep green to pale blue.

Sheik walked over to the water’s edge and kicked the water so it splashed loudly. Nightfire snorted and danced in place unhappily. Barely a moment later, an older Zora – his blue skin starting to fade to gray – poked his head above the water.

“Aaah, ‘tis you,” he said in a thick voice. “And how long will you being staying?”

“Not sure,” Sheik replied. “As long as we have to I guess.”

“Then you pay by the day.” The Zora shrugged as he stepped out of the water.

Sheik looked melodramatically taken aback. “You would charge the Hero of Hyrule! You should be honored just to tend his mount.”

The old Zora looked unimpressed. “We all need to make a living.” Sheik smiled and flipped him a few rupees. That should cover both horses for a few days. If we stay longer than that, we’ll settle up before we leave.”

“Be sure you do,” the Zora snorted as he took the horses and placed each in a stall. Sheik gave a mock salute and motioned for Link to follow as he headed out. The sun had vanished behind the cliffs when they emerged from the cave and the sky was already starting to tinge pink at the edges of the clouds.

“Looks like we made it just in time,” Sheik said as he looked at the sky. “Come on, Hero. I bet we can find a hot meal inside... you like fish, right?”