Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ To Forge the Master ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
To Forge the Master
Chapter 9


Robert Fulghum:
I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge -- myth is more potent than history -- dreams are more powerful than facts -- hope always triumphs over experience -- laughter is the cure for grief -- love is stronger than death.

Elaine Maxwell:
My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.





“How terribly...convenient,” Nayru said mildly as she peered into the looking-pool. “To learn magic at such a time.”

“It really is,” Din agreed as she gave their youngest sister a sly grin. “Don’t you agree, Farore?”

Farore did not look away from the water, her nose mere inches from its surface. “The best shine brightest when hope is furthest from hand,” she replied with dignity.

“Indeed,” Nayru replied in the same mild tone.

&&&

Link ground his teeth as he woke. His body still hurt, but it was more of a dull ache than the sharp pain he was expecting. He cracked his eyes open to see the world around him a wash of blue light. It cascaded around him like a waterfall of sapphires. His head throbbed and he squeezed his eyes closed again, waiting for it to stop. As his senses woke more he felt a soft brushing across his back, like long gentle fingers, each carefully tracing the slashes on his back and arm. He flinched, suddenly feeling the sharp pain of marks being touched.

“Shhh,” a soft bubbly voice soothed. “I am almost finished.” Link pried his eyes open again. He turned his head to see a woman. She had deep purple-blue eyes, like the color of the lake at dawn, and beautiful foam white skin. Blonde hair, as pale as moonlight reflecting off the surface of the water, framed her face in long wavy locks. From his angle, he guessed his head was resting in her lap, though he could not feel anything supporting him.

The pain in his back eased slowly and finally the spirit helped him to his feet – or at least he thought so, he was free-floating in the blue light with no sense of gravity. The spirit moved to float before him; her movements were smooth and flowing. She was clothed in a cerulean silk dress that moved more like liquid than cloth. Her hair was longer than he had imagined, falling to her feet in perfect little curls.

A pulse ran up Link’s arm and he looked down to find he still held his sword in a death grip. He relaxed his hand without releasing the sword, letting the blood flow into his fingers again, but did not put the sword away. The sword throbbed again and the blue light responded in kind. The next pulse ran through his entire body.

As the light responded to the pulse, some of it broke off and settled between Link and the spirit. It spread out before him to form the landscape of Hyrule, the lines of the rivers, streams, and lakes highlighted so they glowed incandescent even against the world of light. Link carefully reached out and touched the glowing mass that was Lake Hylia. Spreading out from Hyrule’s largest body of water, he could trace the water all the way back to the Zora’s Domain and Lord Jabu-jabu’s fountain. The great fish stirred as he touched it and, for a moment, he felt a sharp pain in his side.

As he pulled away, he noticed the void beyond the lake. It was larger than he remembered and seemed to be sucking up the light around it. Carefully he reached towards it, but the moment he was about to touch it the sword gave a painfully sharp pulse and he had to grab the weapon with both hands.

“So it is true, what my sister said,” the spirit said in her bubbling voice. “You are the one chosen by Lady Farore.” Link could only nod as the next pulse seemed to try and vibrate the flesh from his bones. He gripped the hilt as the throbbing began to pick up speed. The light around him flashed dazzlingly bright. The throbbing and the flashing quickened.

Unlike the last time, when each throb felt like it would rip his body apart, twisting his muscles from his bones, this time it pulsed through his blood, overshadowing his heartbeat until it felt like the organ would explode. Every vein was on fire as if acid were searing its way through his body.

Around him, the light began to swirl, centering itself around the sword. The light wrapped in layers like fabric being made into a bolt. With each layer the sword became a brighter and brighter blue, the edges rippling like water on a windy day.

Slowly the light around him faded and his feet found the ground. The lake water washed over him in a cool wave, the pyramid of light that had held it back having faded with the rest of the light. The sword glowed deep, midnight blue from all the layers of light packed around it. The throbbing in his veins settled to a dull pounding so that each heartbeat sent a ripple through his body. Before him the spirit had become translucent, a soft smile on her perfect lips.

She closed the distance between them and placed her hand gently on his cheek. So soft was her touch that he would not have noticed it if he had not seen her move. “I wish you luck on the rest of your journey.” With her free hand she pressed a cube twice the size of a child’s block against his chest. He caught it absently as she kissed his cheek. “Be strong, young hero, this land needs you more than you know.” Then she was gone, faded into the sword, which gave a final violent pulse before returning to its normal mirror-bright shine.

Link stood there as the gentle current of the lake washed around him. Each heartbeat felt strangely loud in his ears. Finally, he slid his sword back into its sheath and picked up his shield and boomerang – both had been laid out side by side on the stone floor. After tucking the boomerang and the box into his pouch and adjusting his shield back into place, he walked to the edge of the pyramid.

The sloped side fell down to the lumpy sand far below. Beyond, he could see his hippocampus eating calmly on some lake weed. Out of habit, he whistled, finding the sound odd, muffled by the cloth and the water around him. Still the creature lifted its head, looked his way, then swam up to him. He stroked the creature’s velvet soft nose before climbing on its back.

&&&

Savas sneered at the two moblins holding his bindings. His hands had been shackled behind him so tightly he was sure any more would break his arms. The iron collar clamped around his neck was a size too small and made breathing difficult. A short chain was attached between his ankles, long enough for him to walk, but too short for him to run.

One moblin held the chain that extended from the collar, and would jerk it every so often when he felt Savas was not moving fast enough. This caused the Garudo King to stumble forward, trip on the short chain, and slam into the stone floor. The second moblin, who was holding the chain attached to his wrists, would grunt in annoyance, then haul him to his feet – sometimes pausing to deliver a kick to his side.

Already, Savas had blood running from his mouth and nose from his many trips to the floor. The pain in his right side when he breathed suggested he had cracked at least one rib as well. Still he remained defiant, cursing the pigs with every foul thing he could imagine. The guards ignored him, only grunting or growling at his more colorful comments about their parentage and culture.

Finally, they led him to a large chamber. The room was filthy, the floor black with soot, grime, and other unmentionable things; rotting food was scattered across the floor, and the air was full of flies. Moblin milled about, showing off their weapons to each other and grunting in their guttural language. Savas was actually grateful for the blood in his nose and mouth, because he was sure the room smelled absolutely rancid. In one corner a couple were having a queer sort of wrestling-boxing match, while others gathered around shouting and gambling on the outcome.

In the back of the room, seated on a throne-like chair on a raised platform, was the biggest moblin Savas had ever seen. Even seated he was a head taller than the Garudo King, with arms like tree trunks and powerful legs. Sharp, curled tusks, each a foot long, extended from the sides of his mouth. Watery black eyes peered down on the room without interest. A triton lay on the floor next to his chair. His armor looked like it had once belonged to Hyrulian Royal Guards, but had been pounded into one solid piece to cover his enormous body.

On each side of him, in much smaller chairs, sat two women. Neither was more than twenty-five years old, with dark skin and sharp features. At first glance, Savas thought they were Garudo, but he quickly changed his mind. The one on the left had red hair, but it was not normal. It kept flickering and changing to bright yellows and oranges. It took Savas several moments to realize her hair was on fire – though she did not seem bothered by it in any way. The woman on the left’s hair was bright blue, and flickered much like the other’s, only with deeper sapphire and cerulean. They were dressed in voluminous black robes.

Both women were leaning towards the giant moblin in the appraising manner he had seen the younger Garudo girls look at him – though their endearing manners did not reach their eyes.

“Look at this, sister Koume,” the woman with the blue hair said, looking over at Savas for the first time. “The King of the Garudo has come to visit us.”
“Indeed, sister Kotake,” the woman with fiery hair replied. “What shall we do with him, Master Ganon?”

The giant moblin grunted, his watery, squinty eyes sweeping around the room before focusing on Savas. Several of the smaller moblin gave grunting laughs, the two holding Savas’s bonds shoved him roughly as they grunted. The two women gave hollow laughs.

“He is right, dear sister Kotake,” Koume said, tucking a strand of sapphire hair behind her ear. “This is not the Hero we wanted.”

“It is too bad, though, sister Koume,” Kotake replied. “Such a waste, too. A Garudo King has so much power.” Savas drew himself up to his full height, looking as dignified as possible under the situation. Neither the women nor the moblin seemed impressed. Ganon grunted again, this time taking up his triton and poking Savas roughly in the chest with it. Even through the thick leather of his dress armor, he could feel the sharp points. Still, the King held his ground without a sound.

“Very wise, Master Ganon,” Kotake gushed, though the emotion still did not reach her eyes.

“And so generous,” Koume went on, “letting him live in exchange for the Hero we seek. I’m sure his people would be so grateful for his safe return.”

Savas sneered. “I am a Garudo and a King. I fear nothing. And my people will never follow such a repulsive monster.” The triton slammed against the side of his head, sending him to the ground with a sickening thud. Savas grimaced at the feeling of another rib breaking. The two moblin holding his bonds yanked him up roughly.

He found himself staring down the three points of the triton’s business end. Ganon had his arm drawn back ready to strike. The other moblin had stopped whatever they were doing, and gathered around like swine at the trough eager for their slop. Savas glared back, unblinking and unmoved.

“Such a waste. Don’t you think, sister Koume?” Kotake mused again.

“Perhaps, he just needs a little… persuading,” Koume replied with an innocence Savas doubted she possessed. “Don’t you think, Master Ganon?”

The giant moblin grunted, slowly lowering his weapon. Something akin to a smile appeared on his snout and he squealed an order at one of the other moblin. Something struck Savas in the back of the skull, sending him to his knees. Growling, he tried to stand again, but the moblin holding his collar stepped onto the chain, keeping him bowed. He felt the rough blade of a crude knife slipped between his skin and clothes behind his neck, then forcibly tore the leather. A stinging line followed in its path, and Savas hissed through his teeth. The clothes were quickly pulled aside, letting the chilled night air sweep across his sweaty back.

A series of grunts and the shuffling on cloven feet, drew Savas’s attention and he glanced behind him. A warn, cord of leather thunked against the cold stone near his feet. Savas set his jaw and focused all his attention on a single dent in the floor. He would not give them the satisfaction of his pain.

&&&

Link pulled the cloth from around his mouth and nose as he stepped back onto the dry cave floor inside the Zora’s Domain. The hippocampus poked its head above the water nearby, nickering. Link ignored it, trudging up the incline in search of Kaimana or Sheik. The weight of the day was starting to catch up with him, and the ground refused to stay in one place. He barely remembered the trip back and vaguely wondered how he had held on to his mount.

His foot slipped on a loose rock and he stumbled forward. Strong blue-skinned arms caught him before he hit the ground. Link blinked drunkenly at his rescuer’s face, but it refused to focus. Someone called his name and then the world faded away.

When he next woke, Link found himself lying face down on a large leaf that served as a Zoran bed. His body felt numb with exhaustion, every limb unwilling to do his bidding. More through sheer will than anything else, he forced himself to a sitting position and looked around the room.

It was the same room he and Sheik had shared, but Sheik was nowhere in sight. Three bottles of potion sat on the table along with a large covered platter and a bottle of fresh water. His tunic had been draped over the back of a chair along with his hat. His boots were set neatly near the edge of his waterbed.

Link’s stomach growled and he climbed to his feet. His head swam slightly, but he managed to get to the table nonetheless. Pulling the cover off the platter, he found a hot meal of fish, rolled into bite size pieces with tiny bugs and seaweed. Not caring if the food was meant for him, Link began eating. It was the best food he had ever tasted in his life.
He was just downing the water, when the door opened and a female Zora came into the room. She blinked at him in surprise, then smiled. She was pretty, for a Zora, with a slight green edge to her fins. In her hands was a tray of bandages and small bottles.

“Master Link, you are awake. Prince Kaimana will be pleased. Did you have enough to eat? I can have the cooks send up more.” Her smile faded a bit as if she just realized something, “You shouldn’t be out of bed. You were badly hurt and need your rest.”

“Where’s Sheik?” Link asked firmly.

The Zoran girl frowned. “Prince Kaimana’s personal doctor has been with Master Sheik. He’s resting now.”

“Where?” Link repeated, grabbing his boots and pulling them on.
The Zora put down her tray and placed her hands on her hips. “Master Link, you are in no condition to be running around. You have lacerations on your arm and back that need tending and magic burns on your hands. Master Sheik needs his rest as well. Now to bed with you!”

Link looked at her, then down at his palms. To his surprise, they were an angry red and covered in fresh blisters, as if he had grabbed a bit of metal straight from the forge. He flexed his hands experimentally, but they were neither stiff nor painful as he expected them to be.

“Here,” the girl handed him the bottle of blue potion, “this will help.” Studying his hand for a minute longer, Link took a swig of the blue liquid. It was cool and left his mouth feeling chilled, like when he chewed a mint leaf. The numb feeling in his body ebbed and the sores on his hands faded to raw pink. He downed the rest of the potion, leaving him feeling fresh and his hands unmarred. “Now just let me have a look at your back, and you can return to resting.”

With some protesting, Link allowed the Zoran girl to check the wounds on his back. She swabbed them with some red potion, making them sting terribly. Finally, she left him alone with another reminder to rest.

Link sat on his bed and slowly counted to twenty, before getting back up. He grabbed his hat and jammed it on to his head, then snatched his tunic from the back of the chair. The back had been shredded, but someone had attempted to sew it together with only mild success. Not having any other immediate options, he pulled it on anyway. He grabbed his sword and shield, using them to hide the mangled back of his tunic and wounded flesh underneath. When he had everything he thought might be useful, he crept to the door and pushed it open.

The hallway was empty and he could not hear any footsteps. He was not sure where he was going, but something told him he had to find Sheik. The corridor twisted and sloped upward and Link soon found himself facing a long line of doors. He gave a frustrated curse and the sword jolted. Link glanced over his shoulder at it, noticing for the first time that it was giving off a steady hum. So low and unwavering, in fact, that it was like crickets at night and just as easily overlooked.

Link shook his head and frowned, not in the mood to try and figure out this new development. He set off at a brisk jog, checking rooms at random for any occupants. They were all empty. Turning another corner and racing up another slope, Link almost ran straight into a Zoran couple. He made a hasty apology as he pushed passed them.

Abruptly he stopped and looked back. “Where can I find the royal family’s doctor?”

“Follow this hall to the main pool, take a right up the stairs, and past the nursery pools. You should dead end into it,” the male Zora answered, giving Link a sort of mystified look. Link was not sure what nursery pools were, but assumed he would know them when he saw them, so nodded his thanks and took off again.

Following the directions made his search much easier, passing a number of Zora who all gave him the same mystified look as the first couple. He soon passed through a corridor that had great bulbous dents in place of rooms. Each dent was several meters deep and wide, with a concaved floor filled with water. In each tiny pool was a single egg, fully submerged in the shallow water. Link was so busy looking at the pools he literally ran into Kaimana. They both let out a loud “oomph” and landed with fleshy thuds.

“Link?” Kaimana asked as he pushed himself to his feet. “You should be resting.”

“I want to see Sheik,” Link replied firmly.

Kaimana’s mouth formed a hard line. “Link...”

Link growled and felt the sword pulse again. “Where?!”

The Zoran prince sighed, mild amusement playing on his lips. “I can see Sheik is rubbing off on you.” He sobered. “He’s hurt bad, Link. I’ll let you see him, but keep it short and don’t disturb him.”

Link nodded, feeling a lump of ice settling in his stomach. He followed Kaimana to the end of the hall where a door was firmly shut. The word “Silence” was printed in bold letters on the worn wood. The prince opened the door and stuck his head in. When he pulled out, he gave Link a very serious look. “Remember, short and quiet.”

Link stepped over the threshold. Sheik lay on the first Hyrulian style bed he had seen in a long time. The overstuffed straw mattress kept him from rolling as he slept. He had been stripped of his clothes, with a thick blanket pulled up to his waist to preserve his modesty. Thick cloth bandages were wrapped around his torso and one arm. His black hair was slick with sweat and stuck to his face. His eyes were squeezed shut in a restless sleep. He was drawing hissing breaths through clenched teeth.

As Link took the chair next to the bed, he realized for the first time he was seeing Sheik’s face uncovered. It seemed odd, suddenly, that in all the time they spent together, he had not seen Sheik remove the scarf, not even to eat or drink.
A scar ran from his left earlobe, parallel to his jaw, and removed a chunk of his upper and lower lip before dropping off the right side of his chin. More scars, thin and threadlike, crisscrossed the bicep of his uncovered arm. A couple more, thick and sharply defined, peeked out from under the bandages.

“Sheik ...” Link whispered softly. He dipped a rag into the bowl of water near his feet, rang it out, and carefully wiped the sweat from the older man’s forehead. “I’m so sorry.” Link re-wet the rag and placed it on Sheik’s head. It did not appear to do any good.

“Link,” Kaimana called from the door. “Let him rest.”

Reluctantly, Link complied. “How long?”

“A day or two,” Kaimana sighed. “Probably less.”

“Really?” Link asked hopefully. “You think he’ll be back on his feet that soon?”

Kaimana stared at him, his mouth working without making any sound, giving him an even more fishy appearance than usual. After a moment, he closed his mouth and gave Link a sympathetic look. “Link, Sheik’s not going to make it. He’s lost too much blood.”

Link felt his blood run cold and his earlier meal attempt to come up. He leaned against the wall for support as his legs threatened to give out. “There’s nothing you can do?” His voice shook slightly.

“The doctor has done all he can, but the wounds are too deep and numerous for potions to heal.” Kaimana looked back into Sheik’s room and bit his lip. “I’ve sent several Zora to the Fairy Fountain nearby, but none of them have come back.”

Link lowered his brow in a dark frown. “And you aren’t sending any more. You’re just going to let him die?”

The Zoran prince cast him a sympathetic look. “Something isn't right, but I can't send an army to the slaughter to save one man. Sheik was my friend too, but I have to think of my people first.”

“He’s not dead yet!” Link snapped. “Where’s the fountain? I’ll go.”

“You are the Hero of Hyrule. Bound to this kingdom as I am bound to my people,” Kaimana said seriously. “There are those that need you elsewhere. You don’t have time to chase fairies; too many lives are at stake. Sheik understands that.”

Link set his jaw and returned the Zora’s admonishing gaze with a fierce scowl. “What sort of hero would I be if I abandoned someone who was dying because of me? You may have been born a prince, but I’m just a farm boy. I never touched a sword until that day at the temple. I would have died long ago if it wasn’t for Sheik. I’m going to that fountain. Now, where is it?”
Kaimana shook his head as if he regretted something. “Go out the main entrance and follow the river until it divides around an island. The fountain is on that island. There is a lot of tall grass, so you’ll have to hunt for the Lost Door leading to it. You’ll need some empty bottles to carry them in.”

“I have some.” Link nodded.

“Don’t die. Hyrule needs you.” Kaimana grabbed Link’s shoulder as he turned to walk away. “And good luck.”

“Thanks.” Link gave a faint smile over his shoulder.

It did not take him long to get out of the Zora’s Domain. From the main pool the path was fairly straightforward. Along the way, Zora stopped to watch him pass, but none of them spoke to him and several on the younger ones scrambled to get out of his way. When he arrived outside, he was surprised to see the sun was just reaching its peak. Idly he wondered what day it was and how long he had been out.

He squinted at the sun as it blared bright light directly into the canyon. Between the sunlight and the reflection off the rushing water, the entire space was blinding and it took Link several minutes to adjust. When he finally blinked the spots from his eyes, the river lay before him, burbling and bubbling as it had been days before.

Even without Sheik to guide him, he navigated his way down to the water with minimal trouble. He was surprised to find the water was only knee deep in most places. With the water pushing at the back of his legs, he made good time downriver. His own splashing footsteps sounded loud, echoing off the canyon walls. He wondered where the birds, frogs, and other fauna he had heard on the way in had gone to, but decided they were hiding from the sweltering midday heat.

He kept up a steady jog for several minutes before he rounded a bend. Here the river narrowed and deepened, forcing Link to slow down, watching his footing to keep the river from sweeping him away in the current. Ahead of him the river forked, forming a small sandy island in the middle of the building torrent. With a little maneuvering, he managed to climb onto it for a better look around.

Stretched along the river before him were two other such sandbars. The one nearest him was very long and thin, no more than token grass grew on it. The other, farther downriver and slightly to his right, looked much more promising. It rose several feet out of the water and was crowned with thorny-looking weeds.

Doing his best to take into account the currents and flow of the river, Link plunged back into the water. He still almost missed the mark, but dragged himself up just in time. Puffing, he moved to the grass and began pushing it aside, but abandoned that plan as the sharp blades of grass sliced into his hands.

Popping a bleeding finger into his mouth, he considered his options. After several minutes, he sighed and drew his sword. “Sheik would skin me alive for this...” With a single swing, he cropped the grass off close to the ground. In several more swings he had cleared most of the island and revealed a hole in the ground. With a deep breath, he stepped in.

He felt gravity negate as he drifted gently to the ground. Overhead bright sunlight poured down around him, forming a shaft of light. Ahead of him, he could hear the sound of laughter, like a hundred tiny little bells. He stepped out of the light and found himself in a dark corridor with stone walls and a dirt floor. Placing his hand on the wall to keep from tripping in the dark, Link made his way towards the sound.

After several twists and a long downward slope, he came around a corner to see a simple pool of water. It was in no way ornate, only a small pool that looked like it had collected there during past rains. Yet the water sparkled of its own accord, giving light to the darkness. Above the water, tiny pink lights bobbed and whirled and chased each other. The tiny bell laughter filled the air all around him.

Moving closer, Link pulled several empty bottles from his pouch and lined them up next to the water. As he stepped into the water with the first bottle in hand, the lights froze for a moment. In the next instant, they all rushed towards him, dancing around him and laughing in their high voices.

Suddenly, Link found himself staring at a tiny, glowing, pink woman resting on the end of his nose. He had to cross his eyes to even see her properly, blushing in spite of himself as he realized she was naked. Iridescent gossamer wings fluttered from her back.

“We do not get many visitors,” she singsonged. “Fear not for we shall heal your wounds.” Before Link could stop her, she fluttered up and placed a tiny kiss on his forehead. Link’s back tingled and his sword gave an answering pulse, and then it was over. He felt better and more invigorated than he had in days.

“Thank you.” Link looked around and realized the fairy was gone. “Hey, where did you go?”

“She’s gone,” another fairy answered as she fluttered into Link’s line of sight. “She gave her light to you and has moved on.”

Link felt something hard settle into his stomach. “You mean she died?”

The fairy placed a minuscule finger to her tiny mouth. “Think that’s what mortal call it, yes. But it is not that simple, no. Now that her light is gone, she may ascend to be with the goddesses for all time. It is a great honor.”

“Oh...” Link answered dully, then bit his lip. “I have a friend, he’s... he’s dying. I’ve been told your kind are the only ones who can save him. Please, will some of you help me?” To his great surprise, the fairies all zoomed towards the bottles, each clamoring to be let in. Bemused by the fuss, he pulled the corks open and watched as the tiny, winged people wrestled to be the first inside. When the bottles each held a fairy, he put the corks back on, thanked each fairy, and placed the bottles inside his pouch.

“Come back any time, yes.” The fairy he had spoken to a moment ago appeared before his eyes again. “We shall heal you if you are ever hurt.”

“Thank you,” Link inclined his head slightly.

Feeling much lighter in body and spirit, Link made his way back up to the Lost Door and back outside. He was surprised to find the sun had begun its downward arc and had already disappeared behind the lip of the canyon. The world had fallen into deep, sharp shadows, making the water around him look ominously dark.

Unable to simply walk back upstream, Link waded to shore. Unlike the straight shot downstream the river had provided, picking his way overland was much more time consuming. What had taken him barely half an hour one direction stretched into several hours in the other. He cursed himself for not paying closer attention to the path Sheik had used, after having to backtrack for the fifth time.

By the time he made it back to the waterfall entrance, the first pink of evening was touching the clouds. Before he made the final climb to the entrance, he paused by the river, cupping water to his mouth. The water felt wonderfully cool on his dry throat and empty stomach. He closed his eyes, enjoying the feeling as he greedily sucked up more water.

An odd splash brought him from his moment of pleasure. Only a few feet from where he knelt, a large Zoran fin floated passed. Link blinked at it as it was swept innocently downstream. Another splash brought his eyes back to the waterfall, sweeping over the river as he did. The water had taken on a significant pink tint that the fading light could not account for. Even the water trapped in his own cupped hands had turned a translucent red.

Feeling sick, he dropped the water, letting it splash back into the river. Quickly he wiped his hands on his tunic, leaving faint red streaks. A yell made his head snap up to stare at the waterfall entrance. Link found himself on his feet and running towards the hidden door. He jumped straight through the cascade of water as he drew his sword.

As he passed into the main room, Link felt his heart jump into his throat before plummeting into his stomach. Finblades sliced through the air, fireballs hissed as they splashed into the water, and cries of rage and victory rent the air. Blood was coloring the water in the main pool and haphazardly painting the walls.

A screech like nails across a pane of glass grabbed Link’s attention and he turned, bringing his shield up as he did. A Zola slammed its hand into the slab of metal, racking its sharp claws down in a terrible scratching noise. Link glared over the top of the shield, straight into the creature’s fierce green eyes. The Zola opened its mouth, full to bursting with jagged teeth, screaming wordlessly at him and grabbing at his arm with its free hand.
Link plunged the sword into the creature’s chest. It was easier than he expected; the soft flesh and cartilaginous bones sliced like warm butter. He yanked the sword back and slammed the monster with his shield, sending it stumbling over the edge and into the main pool below.

He did not bother to watch it fall, instead turned and dove into the thick of the melee. Zola and Zora clashed all around him. On his right, a Zola cut down its opponent and turned on him. Link slammed it with his shield, the heavy slab of metal causing a fleshy thunk and sending the attacker into another of its kind. Both hit the ground in a tangle of limbs and sharp screeches. Link twisted his sword in his hand and plunged it straight down through the pair, before ripping it free and slashing another Zola across the back.

The sword throbbed with each draw of blood, sending shivers up Link’s arm. It was a strange feeling, almost pleasant – like jumping into the pond on a hot summer’s day. He wondered only briefly about this, before the fight demanded his full attention.

A Zora fell beside him and Link brought up his shield to guard against the returning finblade. The victorious Zola turned to him, making a deep slurping noise, before coughing a smoldering ball of stomach goo at him. It slapped against his shield and bounced back, slamming into the attacker’s chest. The Zola hissed like an angry cat as it frantically tried to scrap the burning mass off its body. Link lunged, his blade sliding easily through the Zola’s unguarded throat, completely removing its head.

Razor sharp claws raked down Link’s back, drawing blood and causing his sword to give an angry pulse. He spun around to face the offending Zola, striking out with his sword as he did. The blade cut cleanly through the still extended arm. The Zola screeched, holding its arm as it backed away, only to be run through by a finblade from a nearby Zora.

Now turned around, Link could see he was not making any headway, still trapped near the entrance and on the fringes of the battle. He had only managed to move a few meters away from the door and had not even made a dent in the attacking Zola’s ranks. He turned to fend off another Zola as his mind scrambled for a plan.

He tried to think what Sheik would do, but it was no use – each idea seemed more absurd than the last. Link cursed and slashed through another Zola’s chest. The crush of bodies was intense and growing by the minute as each side tried to gain the upper hand. He was afraid to swing his sword because he might hit an ally.

Finally in desperation, he whistled. It was enough to make the Zora and Zola around him pause and look at him, however briefly, as if he had lost him mind. Only a few moments later a hulking black shape plowed its way into the doorway, spraying water from the falls in all directions as he changed course and charged towards Link. Surprised Zora scrambled out of the way, while confused Zola were left to be knocked aside or trampled.

Nightfire had been relieved of his saddle and bridle, leaving Link only a handful of mane to grab on to. Using the momentary lull in the action, Link swung skillfully onto the horse’s back. The moment of surprise evaporated and the Zola closed back in. Link tapped the horse with his heel and whooped. Nightfire lunged forward, his broad chest forcing the Zola aside – the Zora getting out of the way on their own.

From his raised vantage point, Link found his strikes more effective. Years of riding gave him the skill and balance needed to keep himself upright and cue the horse with only the use of his legs. With both hands free, he was able to use both his sword and shield, though it threw him off balance more than he thought it would. After several attempts, he figured out how to use the shield as a counterweight to his downwards attacks. It was still awkward and ungainly, but it worked well enough.

Galloping at full tilt, he cut a line through the ranks – trampling Zola who got in the way and slicing at as many as he could as he flew past. The Zora took advantage of the confusion left in his wake, descending on their scattered and crippled opponents.

When Nightfire splashed through the shallow waters at the edge of the main pool – long since turned pink with blood – Link tapped with his inside foot, turning the horse to race back up another sloping corridor.

The sword throbbed in his hand now, sending pulses through his blood that seemed to try and overwhelm his heart. In no time the two pulses were in perfect sync, the sword abandoning the haphazard rhythm of his attacks. The cuts on his back, and the more recent ones to his exposed legs, answered each throb with one of their own. It was not painful, but Link could not put a name to the sensation either. With each enemy he attacked, the pulsing got stronger.

Nightfire came upon a sharp turn that led farther up to the right, but left one side a sheer drop into the main pool. The startled horse balked and reared up. Link grabbed a fistful of mane as the pounding in the sword suddenly exploded.

Blue light rushed outward in all directions. Nightfire screamed. The light cut through the Zola like paper, while bending around the Zora without leaving a mark. Link felt a searing pain along his back and legs. Behind his eyes he glimpsed the water spirit again, smiling at him. Then it was over.

Link’s ears rang in the sudden silence, broken only by his mount’s nervous dancing. He patted the horse’s neck to calm it, but it only helped a little. He felt drained, as if all the life had been sucked from his body. Wearily he lay down on Nightfire’s neck. The horse stilled some more, somehow knowing his rider needed him at that moment. With eyes only half open, Link watched the blood drip from the end of the sword still clutched in his hand. The pulsing stopped and he breathed a deep sigh of relief.

“Link?” Kaimana’s voice broke into his daze and he sat up to look at the Zoran Prince. He had a splash of blood on his chest, and a smear across his face, and was missing part of a fin. Flanking him were two guards who were in much worse shape, though neither looked in danger of dying soon. “How...what... Farore, Link!” He gave up on his question with a shake of his head. He turned to the two Zora flanking him. “Round up the wounded, save the ones that can be saved.”
Both Zora saluted sharply, then one spoke. “Sire, you’re–”

“It’s just a fin,” Kaimana snapped. “It will grow back soon enough. Now go!” The two gave another salute and ran off. Satisfied, Kaimana turned back to Link and took a deep breath. “All I can say is thank you.”

Link shrugged listlessly, then dug into his pouch. He took out one of the bottled fairies, and placed it between his legs, then passed the rest of his stock to the surrounding Zora. “I’ll go back for more, but I need to check on Sheik first.” Kaimana’s mouth worked wordlessly for several minutes. Finally, he gave up with a smile and a nod.
Link nodded in return and tapped Nightfire with his right heel. Following the silent cues, the horse turned and made his way up the ramp. Link used the time to sheath his sword and settle his shield on his back. The Zora stepped out of his way as he passed; many stopped to give small bows.

When he came to the stairs leading up to the nursery pools, he was forced to dismount. He was surprised when a young male Zora quickly came forward to take the horse from him. Nightfire balked, but Link stroked his neck and the horse went quietly.

With the bottled fairy in his hand, Link took the steps one at a time, still feeling strangely lethargic. His muscles did not feel sore or worn out, it was more like he felt when he did not eat. His feet carried him automatically to the closed door; the squeaking of the hinges echoed in his ears.

Sheik had not changed since he had left. His breath still came in harsh gasps, sweat beaded on his brow, and he still stirred occasionally as if in the throes of a nightmare. The only change Link could note was the amount of blood soaked into the bandages. With all the commotion of the attack, no one had changed the wrappings, and they had become saturated with both sweat and blood, giving them a dark rust hue.

Link dropped gratefully into the empty chair next to the bed. Pulling the cork on the bottle, the glowing pink fairy swooped out and landed on Sheik’s chest. After a quick scan of his body, she fluttered up and delicately kissed his forehead. From where the fairy kissed him, brilliant pink light rushed over his body. Link shut his eyes against the sudden, dazzling flash, but it was over almost as soon as it began.

In its wake, the bandages had turned back to crisp white, Sheik’s breathing had eased, and his sleep seemed deep and comfortable. With a tired but satisfied smile, Link undertook the careful task of removing the bandages without waking his friend. A few times Sheik stirred, but it passed quickly.

When his task was finished, Link frowned. The edges of the scars he had seen earlier had only hinted at what was underneath. Scars, deep and shallow, wide and thin, crisscrossed his torso, many overlapping each other. There was even one that wrapped around his side as if there had once been a deep cut in his side.

Suddenly feeling as if he should not be there, Link left the bandages and bottle where they lay and left the room. Kaimana was waiting outside the door, his hand raised to knock. Link nodded at him absently, before moving to lean his back against a nearby wall. His head flopped back, resting against the cool stone, and he closed his eyes.

After several long moments had passed, he spoke, “How long has Sheik... had those scars?”

Kaimana leaned his shoulder against the wall next to him with a sigh. “I couldn’t tell you. He’s had the one behind the scarf for as long as I’ve known him, but the others...” He finished with a shrug.

Link sighed. He opened his mouth to speak again, but the sound of approaching footsteps stopped him. “Someone’s coming.”

Kaimana gave him a questioning look and turned back down the hallway. Link, nobody is–” Before the Zoran Prince could finish the sentence, Leilani came running up the stairs. Link noted that she had a bandage around her head and one arm in a sling.

“Your Majesty, come quickly!” She turned and disappeared down the stairs without waiting for an answer. Both men hurried after her.

As they came around the corner overlooking the main pool, the problem became obvious. A single Zola stood in the ankle deep water, its teeth bared and its posture aggressive. A small Zoran boy was clutched in its grasp, its long claws dangerously close to the child’s throat. A crowd of adult Zora had formed a loose circle around the pair, keeping the Zola trapped, but not putting pressure on it to keep the child safe. It was a stalemate.

“Holy Din!” Kaimana whispered. He dove off the cliff, landing with a splash in the deep water below.

On his back, Link felt the sword begin to warm again. He slipped his bow off his shoulder and pulled an arrow from the quiver. The sword pulsed in an almost disappointed manner, but did not cool. He notched the arrow and drew it to his cheek. The bowstring creaked and the wood groaned softly as they stretched. A sharp twang and the arrow whistled through the air. It hit the Zola in the head with a distant thunk.

The creature crumpled over backwards, the arrow firmly lodged in its soft skull. The child dropped from its grip and made a stumbling dash for the nearest adult. The gathered Zora all turned and looked up at him without a word. Link ignored them as he put away his bow. He suddenly found he was too tired to care about their reaction, or collecting his spent arrow.

With a heavy mind and body, he went to find his room.