Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ To Forge the Master ❯ chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
To Forge the Master
Chapter 16


"If you have tears, prepare to shed them now."
~William Shakespeare


Sheik woke early and Link did his best to pretend the noise had awakened him as well. Sheik frowned at him, but continued gathering their things. The sky was still cloaked in night and the sun was at least two hours from rising, leaving the land without heat. It was so cold Link could see his breath forming mist each time he exhaled, yet he could not care enough to complain.

He followed Sheik out to the stables and was surprised to find Agrona waiting for them, along with two guards. She gently stroked Nightfire’s nose, studying Link as if for the first time. “You are Lon’s boy, are you not?”

“I am,” Link huffed, too tired to be polite. She tilted her head, her ruby eyes shining even in the dim light and a frown on her lips. Without another word she signaled to her guards and walked out. “What the hell?” Link groused. Sheik only shrugged and shook his head. They tacked up their horses and mounted. Two Gerudo guards held the main gates for them as they rode out into the morning.

Making a beeline for the tower, they set a quick pace, wanting to cover as much ground as possible before the sun rose and it became too hot. Link huddled low on Nightfire’s back, trying to ignore the biting cold against his exposed skin. He closed his eyes, focusing on the steady rhythm of the horse below him. Even with the cushion of the sand, every hoof beat sent a wave of pain through his body. Setting his jaw, he rode on without a word.

The sun rose and brought with it the heat. It was all Link could do not to groan as they traveled. He was thankful for Sheik riding alongside him, because his vision had tripled and the tower they were aiming for kept swaying before his eyes. He was not sure how long or far they had traveled and relied on Sheik to lead him. He managed to keep down the steady supply of water given to him but little else.

&&&

Link woke in the first cool shade he had felt in a long time and, for a moment, wondered how he had gotten there. The last few days had been such a blur he could not remember. Looking around, he realized they had stopped at an oasis of some kind. Lush grass covered the ground and a pond glistened nearby. Fairies drifted aimlessly above the water, their happy laughter filling the air.

He pushed himself to unsteady feet and stumbled towards the water. The short walk seemed to take everything out of him and he landed in the pond on all fours. He felt the warmth and saw the flashes of pink lights as the fairies rushed to him. By the time they had finished he felt better than he had in a week. With a sigh, he flopped down into the water and turned to float on his back.

It was then he noticed the sky, or more correctly, the lack thereof. Forty feet overhead was a smooth marble ceiling that provided shade for the oasis. He followed the curve of the ceiling to find it supported on three elegant, curved legs between three arches. It reminded him of a sheet anchored to the ground as the wind tried to rip it free. It covered no more ground than Hyrule Castle’s courtyard.

Beyond the marble ceiling he could see the desert, as hot and parched as it had ever been. Yet the breeze inside was cool and refreshing, with green grass, the pond, and several trees. He caught sight of Nightfire and Blu grazing as he stood and rung the water from his clothing.

“Feeling better, Hero?”

Link turned to see Sheik watching him with his arms crossed over his chest. His voice had its usual light-hearted tone, but his green eyes spoke otherwise.

“Fine,” Link answered, not even buying the conviction in his own voice.

Sheik frowned at him. “All right. If you’re better, then let’s go.”

“Sure,” Link replied as he waded out of the water and looked around. It was then he realized he could not see the tower in any direction. Sheik smirked and thumbed over his shoulder. Link looked, rubbed his eyes, and looked again.

A door stood in the middle of the oasis, just a door. The pair of double doors seemed to be carved from stone and held into their frame with wrought iron. They formed an elegant arch and the center was inset with a golden Triforce. Around it were seven circular stones set into a heptagon, each with its own color and carved with its own design. It had no knobs or handles to pull it open.

Curiously, Link circled the door to find the other side looked identical. He looked to Sheik who only shrugged helplessly. “I’ve been walking around that thing for hours. As far as I can tell, it’s just art. But there is nowhere else to go, so it has to do something.”

“Odd...” Link offered, absently tracing the empty triangle in the center of the Triforce. The gold flashed, as if catching the light, and Link felt a pulse echo in his sword. He reached back and touched the hilt, wincing when it shocked him and left a burn on the tips of his fingers. Cursing, he fisted his hand and touched the Triforce again. This time it lit up, shining so brightly he had to close his eyes against the onslaught of light. There was a loud groan and the light faded.

“Holy shit...” Sheik gaped. Link slowly uncovered his eyes and stared. The stone doors had opened towards him. In the vacated space of the doorframe was a thin, silvery liquid; as if someone had managed to melt a mirror. It shimmered and sparkled as it caught the light. A breeze rushed through the oasis and the liquid rippled like water.

Link reached out and touched it carefully with one finger. It felt warm as his digit slid easily through it. He pulled back and examined his hand to find it unchanged. “I guess we go this way.”

“Are you ready?” Sheik asked carefully. Link looked at him to find himself being studied, hard. “Maybe you should wait a day or two.”

“Sheik...”

“You’re sick, Link. Do you really think I haven’t noticed?” Sheik asked flatly. Link looked away.

“It’s not that simple...”

“Link–”

“If I can’t do this today, I sure as hell won’t be able to tomorrow!” Link snapped. He could feel the headache already starting to come back. “Every day it gets worse. I know I’m sick. I know something is wrong. But everyone keeps telling me Hyrule rides on my shoulders, so I’m doing what I have to do.

“Farore, Link! You aren’t a fucking martyr. Killing yourself won’t do anyone any favors.”

“It doesn’t change the fact I will have less time to do this tomorrow then I have today. Are you coming or not?”

Sheik sighed, but offered no more argument. Link took a deep breath and stepped through the liquid. It left him feeling warm and tingly. He half expected to end up on the other side of the door, still in the oasis. But on the opposite side of the liquid was... nothing. The entire world around him was black. Not in the complete lack of light sort of way, because light was still pouring from the oasis behind him, but even the floor beneath his feet was black, in spite of the light.

“This is... odd,” Link offered. “Any thoughts?” He received no answer. “Sheik?” He turned to see Sheik still on the other side of the door, his shoulder pressed against the liquid mirror as his feet fought for traction. Startled, Link reached out to find the liquid had solidified. He banged on the now hard surface and yelled, but Sheik did not appear to notice.

“We are sorry to startle you,” a female voice said softly. This time Sheik jumped, apparently surprised by the voice. “But what follows is for the Hero alone.” Link looked around, searching for the blue light he expected to appear with the voice, but still seeing nothing but the blackness, and let his hand drop from the doorway. A steady pull had started in his chest, leading him deeper into the darkness. When he looked back he was surprised at how far he had gone, the doorway was nothing more than a pinprick in the blackness.

Suddenly the pull stopped and Link stopped with it. In the darkness and a red light flared into life. It had a vaguely human form, but was too bright to make out clearly. “I still can’t believe Farore picked you. I still say you’re too skinny,” Din’s voice huffed. “If you are ready, Hero of Hyrule, show me your power.”

The light flashed and the darkness changed. In its place was a large room, easily three times the size of the Great Hall at Hyrule Castle. He stood on an elevated platform on one end while the light hovered on another platform on the far side of the room. Link looked at the floor between them and felt the bottom drop out of his stomach. The floor crawled with monsters; lizalfos, moblin, like-like, Zola, and dodongos were easily apparent in the mass.

“Din...” he breathed.

“Yes?” she replied. “I’m not going to help you, if that’s what you want.”

“No... umm... I mean...” Link stuttered.

“See, this is why you don’t take our names in vain. You end up with your foot in your mouth. Now, if you don’t mind, you have two more tests after this one and a world to save, so get on with it.” Link felt his face grow hot, then hotter still when she laughed at him.

Pulling his thoughts away as best he could he looked around at the task at hand. The room below was rectangular, with no defining features. Link considered his options. Using a wall to protect his back was probably the best course, but could limit his mobility and reach, especially if he got trapped in a corner. On the other hand, he could move away from the wall and regain his reach and mobility, but leave his back dangerously exposed.

Din yawned pointedly and Link cast her light an annoyed glare. She laughed.

Link sighed and reached for his sword. He winced when his fingers grazed it and the familiar pain shot up his arm. He jerked his hand away instinctively, causing his fingers to brush against the arrows in his quiver. A quick count showed he only had ten left. Glancing at the light he debated.

“This is a test of Power, Hero of Hyrule. Power can take more forms than that of a sword,” Din said in a bored tone. Letting out a breath, Link pulled an arrow from the quiver and notched it on his bow. He studied the horde below and picked a knot of moblin in a far corner. Pulling on his magic and forcing it into the shaft, he drew the arrow back and released it with a twang. The arrow flashed across the room, catching one of the moblin in the stomach and exploding in a shower of gold. When the light cleared, all the moblin had vanished.

Link smiled and drew another arrow. By the time he had his last arrow notched, the mass of creatures below him was significantly reduced. He released his last arrow, blowing a like-like, two zola, and a moblin into dust. With a frown he returned his bow to its place on his back and reached for the sword. The painful shock made him grit his teeth, but he ignored it, drawing the blade and readying his shield.

Taking a deep breath he leapt, raising the sword over his head as he came down. He cleaved the closest enemy, an unfortunate zola, almost to its throat. He yanked the sword free and turned, slicing at an approaching like-like. A moblin slammed its crude spear into his shield and he turned, driving the blade into the monster’s exposed stomach.

Pulling free, he dodged through the gap left by the like-like, trying to give himself more room. The injured moblin roared and charged blindly after him. Link dodged an jab from its spear, rolling between a zola’s legs. The surprised fish took the spear to the gut with a gurgling gasp. Link jumped to his feet and kept running, cutting down another like-like in his path.

His breath came in sharp pants and the pain in his arm increased with each enemy he felled. He arrived at the opposite wall and was forced to stop and turn back. The moblin was still coming, the zola’s body hanging limply from the spear shaft. Link dodged just in time to let the spear rush past his chest. With a quick swing of his sword he snapped the shaft, pivoted, and decapitated the moblin.

Panting, he looked around. The room still held several monsters, all with their attention on him. He set his jaw as a fresh wave of pain shot up from the sword, making his back muscles spasm and his vision double. Swallowing hard, he realized he could not just wait for them to attack; his own sword would bring him to his knees before he was finished.

He charged. He saw the sword swinging, felt the monsters retaliate, smelled the blood, yet it all seemed surreal. He forced himself to focus, pushing aside the pain his own sword caused and bringing his vision into clarity. Soon he did not even care about why he was fighting; he just felt the need to keep going.

Then as suddenly as it had begun, it was over. He stood still, gulping down air. His whole body hurt. His arms and legs were bleeding from dozens of places, and he was sure he had at least two broken ribs where his chain mail had stopped an attack. His arm and back pulsed with each painful shock and he was sure his palm was bleeding from the magic burning through it.

“You have done well, Hero of Hyrule.” Din’s voice sounded mildly impressed. “One more and your test will be complete.”

Link’s brow lowered as he slowly looked around. The floor was covered in fallen bodies, but he saw nothing moving. He turned questioning eyes back to the light. Then the floor began to shake violently, sending Link to his knees. When he raised his head he was looking into a pair of blood-red, glowing eyes, glowering down on him from under a helmet. The darknut before him was massive, far larger than those he had met in the Water Temple. It stood at least eight feet tall and wielded a massive battle axe.

Link scrambled to his feet as the darknut attacked. He caught the axe across his shield, but the impact sent him flying across the room. His back slammed painfully against the wall and he slid to the ground. Groaning, he pushed himself to his feet and focused on the darknut. It advanced on him with a steady, methodical pace – its armor too heavy to allow for anything faster.

Forcing his legs to work, Link charged. He dodged under the axe and drove his sword into the darknut’s chest, where it bounced uselessly off the armor. The monster’s shield slammed into his shoulder, sending him skidding across the ground. He rolled away quickly, just avoiding a blow from the axe. Scrambling, he put some space between himself and his attacker.

Panting, he stopped against the farthest wall and looked back. The darknut was slowly advancing on him again. His brain whirled, racing over everything Sheik had taught him in the last month and half – searching for anything useful. An idea crossed his mind and he smiled.

He charged at the darknut. The axe came down and he dodged and jumped. Using the monster’s lowered posture from its swing to step up on its forearm and then its shoulder, he launched himself into the air. Twisting as he fell back to earth, he raised his sword. With all his strength he brought the blade down the monster’s back, severing the bindings of its armor and cutting deep into the flesh.

Landing, Link did not waste his opening, hacking and cutting at the darknut’s exposed back with all his might. The monster spun, slinging its battleaxe and knocking Link back. With its armor shed, it drew a slim sword at its hip and charged – fast. Link rolled to his feet, blocking with his sword. The darknut pushed him down and raised his sword like a giant dagger. Link rolled, just missing being impaled, and slammed his shield into the darknut’s knees with a satisfying crunch; bringing the knight to the ground. Without rising from his kneeling position, Link brought his sword down, decapitating the darknut.

He stayed on his hands and knees, panting and watching blood drip from the tip of his nose and his hair. He vaguely wondered when he had received the head wound, then found he really did not care. His whole body ached and each breath told him he had broken more ribs at some point. The sword pulsed rapidly in his hand, sending sharp waves of pain through every nerve in his body. His vision doubled and then tripled and he felt the will to hold himself up crumple.

The world faded and the floor rose to meet him in slow motion. A flash of red light cut through the haze of his mind and, a moment later, he found himself on the cold stone floor with Din looking down at him. Or at least he got the impression she was looking down at him, since she was nothing but a bright light to his eyes.

“You’ve done well, Hero of Hyrule. Rise.”

Link almost pointed out that he could barely breathe, but as he inhaled he realized his ribs no longer hurt. Perplexed, he pushed himself to his knees. His pants and tunic were torn and bloody, but the wounds were closed. The sword, however, was still acting up and he moved to put it back in its sheath.

“Steady your sword.” Din stopped him and he looked at her. He froze in surprise with his sword half raised. Din reached, her arm and hand nothing but molded light, and touched the blade. The sword gave a jolt very different from anything it had ever done before. The energy was hot and rushed to every muscle in his body, making his blood throb.

Then, as quickly as it had happened, it was over. A small bright triangle appeared just above the guard of the sword, then faded into an etched outline. Din withdrew her hand and the sword dropped to the floor, dragging Link down with it. He let out a yelp of surprise and pain when he realized that, not only had the sword become too heavy to lift, but the magic shocks had become a steady stream and increased in intensity. It took all his strength to lift it back into its sheath and left both hands badly burned. Even through the sheath he could feel the threatening magic tingling up his back.

“What’s wrong with my sword?” Link asked, hoping he did not sound rude.

“It is in perfect working order,” Din replied with a small laugh. “It is you, young Hero, who is broken.”

“What?” He frowned, confused.

“You will have your answers soon enough. Your next test awaits...” Her voice faded and with it, everything else. By the time the last whisper of sound was gone, Link found himself alone in the blackness again. It seemed like he had stood there only a moment before the blackness shimmered a deep blue and a new room appeared.

It was much smaller than the last one and was less of a room than a simple floor of pale blue tiles. About three meters in front of him stood another woman made of light. This one was taller and slimmer, and her shape was more pronounced and less blurred around the edges. Her posture struck Link as a little stiff.

“Welcome, Hero of Hyrule. Show me your wisdom and choose wisely.” Three tiles rose from the floor and stopped at about chest height. Above each, a crystal sparkled into existence. The one on the left was a smooth, perfect sphere. Next was one fashioned into a tear. The last one was in the shape of a diamond, with three smooth surfaces on the top and the bottom. All three were clear and shimmered blue in the light.

Link stared at the crystals, wondering what he was to do with them. Nayru raised her hand and the tile at his feet detached itself from the floor and floated before him, tilting slightly towards him. A bright flash of blue erupted from the tile, and in its wake left inscribed words in fancy script.

Darkness rises and light blinds
The strong become weak with the sands of time
Wisdom fades and knowledge is lost
Heated courage turns to frost
Blood sweat and tears, all shall be shed
So the innocent stay safe in bed
Tears of the goddess cover the land
When no one will rise to take a stand
Darkness may yet consume the light
Leaving all in desperate plight
Shadow of the sun, and light of the moon
All that once was shall be again soon
Bathed in gold, the Triforce shines
To guide one destined to transcend time

Link stared at the poem for several minutes, reading it several times, then looked at the crystals and frowned. He looked back at the poem and carefully traced the words with his finger. He half expected the important words to highlight themselves, but nothing changed.

He lifted his eyes and studied the crystals as they slowly rotated on their tiles. Leaving the inscribed tile where it floated, he moved to study each crystal more closely. The sphere was very pretty, and he wondered if the royal family kept jewels like this. While the outside was as smooth as oiled glass, the inside was fragmented so any light that hit it flashed in prismatic rainbows of color. It gave him a feeling of awe, as if all the secrets of the world lay deep in its depths, if only he would reach out and take it in his hand. His palm tingled, but he clenched his fist and moved on.

The teardrop crystal made him shiver and remember his dream. Though it was clear, he could almost see an endless ocean swirling in its depths. The refraction of light inside shimmered softly in blues and greens mixed with the occasional purple flash. The dream played at the edge of his mind and he moved away slowly.

He lowered his eyes to the three-sided diamond and stared. It lacked the flashy depth of the other two. Instead, the inside was clear and unfractured, so it reflected no bright colors as it spun. Still it had its own beauty, glowing with a very faint – so much so he was unsure it was really there – inner light of soft gold. Watching it left him feeling strangely calm, as if, for at least this moment, the world was at peace. Before he could stop himself he reached out and carefully cradled the crystal, bringing it close to his face for a better look.

“You have chosen wisely, Hero of Hyrule,” Nayru said in her soft voice. Link jumped in surprise and looked at the jewel in his hand. Abruptly it throbbed, sending a rush of its gentleness through his body. His sword gave an answering throb, this one so painful Link clenched his teeth to keep from screaming, and doubled its weight so his knees nearly buckled under the burden.
“Great...” he hissed through gritted teeth.

Nayru seemed to smile approvingly at him as she leaned closer. “Tell me, how did you solve my riddle so quickly?”

Link felt his face heat up and looked away. “Umm... I... didn’t, exactly. This one,” he held out the three-sided diamond in his hand, “just made me feel peaceful and I wanted a closer look.”

Nayru covered her eyes and looked a bit crestfallen as two other disembodied voices began to laugh in the background. Link gave her a small smile, but she waved her free hand dismissively and the room faded once more into blackness.

He had only waited a moment before the next room appeared. There was no flash or shimmer; the room was simply there, as if it had always been there and he had merely been keeping his eyes closed.

He stood on a single green tile with nothing but blackness around him. A hundred meters or so in front of him was another strip of green tiles and a woman made of light. Her figure was more held together, with no blurring at the edges, and he could make out the gentle shades and highlights of her features and clothes. She appeared younger than the other two, looking to be barely a year his senior.

“Welcome, Link! Show me your courage,” she piped happily, bouncing slightly on the balls of her feet. At the edge of his tile a ribbon of light arched out and connected with the tiles at Farore’s feet. It was thin, barely as wide as his hand. For a long moment he stared at the ribbon, then finally looked to the Goddess for help. “Come forward, Link.”

“You have got to be kidding me...” Link hissed as he wondered if the strip of light could really hold his weight and the weight of the sword and shield on his back. Cautiously, he placed one foot on the “bridge.” It neither bent nor broke, so he edged on with his other foot. Confident it would hold him, Link placed one foot in front of the other, trying to imitate the tightrope walkers he had seen at festivals. After only a few steps he decided he should tip more at their performances.

It took several minutes, with his heart pounding in his ears and some almost falls, before he almost reached the other side. Farore smiled like a small child pulling a prank a moment before the strip of light shifted. It did not spin very fast, but the surprise threw Link off balance and he had to crouch down to hold on with his hands to keep from tumbling into the darkness.

He frowned to find himself facing the single tile he had left behind. Rolling to his feet, he turned and edged back towards the goddess again. With a better feel for the slim walkway, he made better time, but it still swung back around before he reached the far side.

He tried several more times, but no matter how fast he completed the task, he was never quick enough to make it off the bridge. Farore was giggling like a schoolgirl and he ground his teeth in frustration. With a huff he stood up and crossed his arms. If he could not outrun the spinning bridge, he would just wait it out. Eventually it would swing back around and he would just step off. Farore’s laughter grew in volume as he waited. The minutes slowly ticked by and Link began to tap his foot. Any moment now the bridge would swing around...

After what felt like half an hour, Link growled in frustration, and carefully made his way once more towards the giggling goddess. As he reached his destination, the bridge spun again, leaving him back where he started.

With a shout, he spun on his heel and sprinted across the bridge. As he reached the end, the bridge spun and Link jumped. Unfortunately, with the added weight of the sword and the dull throb it was sending through his body, he did not have the range he expected. His eyes widened as the blackness rushed up at him even as he reached for the edge of a tile well out of grasp.

He landed with a hard thud as his stomach slammed into something solid. All the air rushed out of his lungs as the weight of the sword pressed against his back and sent a fresh wave of dizzying pain through his body. Above him the goddess howled at her own joke. Link growled as he forced himself to his hands and knees.

“I think you three enjoy seeing me in pain...” he snapped.

Farore sobered a bit as she stepped towards him and cupped his chin in her hand. He found himself rising easily to his feet and looking into her smiling face. A warm tingle spread through his soul, touching something he had never realized was there. “Do not be mad, Link. You have passed your tests.” She released his face and he staggered under the sudden lack of weight on his back. The sword had become incredibly light once more. Cautiously, he reached back and grasped the hilt, flinching in expectation of pain, but none came. Instead he was greeted with the gentle warmth he had grown to love.

The sword sang as he pulled it from its sheath. Even in the blackness the blade shone with its own light. Just above the hilt a Triforce had been etched into the metal. He took a few practice swings, enjoying the effortlessness of his movements.

He turned back to the goddess, only to find himself standing in front of the door. Through the silvery shimmer of liquid light, Link could see the oasis again. With a relieved sigh, he stepped through.

&&&

Sheik stood on the oasis side of the door staring at his own reflection. His eyes were slightly wide and his jaw a bit slack. The disembodied voice continued to speak. “Make yourself at home. Your friend will be returned to you once his test is complete.”

Sheik started to reply, but found he had no idea what to say. Letting out a breath he turned back to the oasis. The horses were happily grazing on the lush grass and the fairy fountain sparkled in the desert sun streaming in through the arches. His stomach rumbled and he frowned. A rabbit darted across the oasis, appearing seemingly out of thin air. Sheik blinked in surprise before smiling.

“That’s convenient.”

The sun was slowly dipping below the horizon as Sheik sucked the last of the meat off the rabbit’s leg. He had to admit the afternoon had passed quietly and given him much needed time to reflect on recent events.

A thrill of magic raced up his spine and he turned. The silver substance in the doorway had become liquid once again. He took several steps closer as Link stepped out, the doors swinging closed behind him.

Sheik paused. Something had changed about the young man before him. He stood taller, his posture more confident, his head held higher. Link’s muscles were more defined and, while he had never been skinny, he seemed more filled out, more grown up. Yet, there was more to it than that. Something had changed, something important, but Sheik could not put his finger on it.

Link smiled and turned to face Sheik, moving towards the older man. He had only taken a few steps when his smile faded and his face paled. Link’s eyes rolled back in his head and his body crumpled to the ground. Sheik called to him, sprinting to cover the distance. He dropped to his knees at Link’s side. Turning the younger man over he realized Link was not breathing. His skin was already cool and clammy to the touch, and his pulse was still.

“Link!” He lifted his friend into his arms and shook him. Link hung limp and unresponsive. “You don’t get to die on me now! I won’t let you!” He stood and moved as quickly as his body would allow to the fairy fountain. The water splashed against his legs, the sudden deceleration caused him to stumble, almost losing his grip on Link’s body. The fairies rushed towards them, swirling and dancing around. After a minute the tiny winged balls of light backed off.

Sheik looked down, expecting to see the color returning to Link’s face and his body stirring back to life. But the body remained unchanged. He looked back at the fairies and took another step towards them; they all fluttered backwards.

“What’s wrong with you?! Fix him! That what the Goddesses put you on this world for, isn’t it?”

“We cannot,” a small voice answered sadly. “It is beyond our power.”