Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ To Forge the Master ❯ Chapter 19 ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
To Forge the Master
Chapter 19

"If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you."
~A. A. Milne

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example."
~Benjamin Disraeli


The last few days had passed in a blur for Link. Riding day and night, resting and eating only went they absolutely must, they had made it across Hyrule in what was surely record time. Now the huge gate stood before them. The horses’ hooves clomped across the wooden drawbridge; a noise that echoed strangely off the water and walls, Link noticed.

“Look alive, Hero.” Sheik’s voice broke into his thoughts. “This is your homecoming.”

The huge wooden gates groaned open, pushed by two guards each. Beyond, the streets were lined with people, each pushing and jockeying for a better spot. Small children sat on their parents’ shoulders while older ones tried to wade through the sea of legs. People pressed against shop windows and whole families leaned precariously out of their upper story windows to get a better view.

A hush rippled through the gatherers as eyes focused on him. Link swallowed and felt heat rise to his face. A quick sidelong glance at Sheik’s amused expression showed he would be getting no help from the older man. The boom of the gates closing behind them echoed in the silent streets.

“Make way for the Hero of Hyrule!” one of the guards shouted as they left the gate to form rank ahead of the two men. Suddenly the streets exploded in cheers. The horses snorted and stomped in surprise and Link was sure his nose was going to bleed if he did not stop blushing. Beside him he could hear Sheik trying to cover his laughter with a cough.

The guards made their way through the crowd ahead of Link. Sheik trailed behind, keeping his jaw firmly set against his laughter. The crowd closed in behind them as the people followed, still jostling for the best view.

They wound their way through the streets, gathering more followers as they went. Other guards joined the four leading the entourage, encircling Link and Sheik in an attempt to keep the people back. When they finally reached the gates leading into the castle, the party was forced to stop while the gate was opened and the guards prepared to keep out everyone but the two men.

“Hey there, big boy.” Link looked down as a delicate female hand touched his knee. He followed it up a slender arm, over the curve of a shoulder, to a graceful neck. He swallowed hard as the woman gave him a subtle smile. She was older than him by several years and wore a red dress that was just a bit too tight and a bit too revealing to be considered proper. “What do you say we go back to my place and I show you what life is all about?”

Link felt all the blood in his face run out before rushing back three fold. Sheik howled. His eyes watered and he clutched his gut as he doubled over the saddle. Link glared, but it only made his laughter worse. By the time the guards got the gate open, Sheik was gasping for air between fits. Link did his best not to look at anyone until they were well through the gates.
“I hate you,” Link huffed.

“What did you expect to happen, Hero?” Sheik chuckled. “You’ve gone from farm boy to legend in only a few months. The Sages are saying you will save the world. The other races are already telling the tales of your adventures. Now you’ve come to slay Ganon and save the kingdom.”

“You could have at least warned me.”

“Yeah, but where is the fun in that?”

A pair of guards met them at the front door to the castle as they dismounted, bowing before taking their horses. Link sighed and Sheik chuckled. A third guard met them at the top of the stairs and led them through the castle. As they walked, the castle’s many servants, guests, and residents stopped to stare. Link ducked his head and tried to focus forward.

It seemed to take an eternity, but the guard finally led them to a pair of double doors flanked by two more guards. Link guessed they were higher ranking because their uniforms and armor were blue and silver instead of the standard red and brass. They both nodded to Link, then Sheik, before turning and pushing the doors open.

The room beyond was the throne room. Unlike the room the Princess had received him in on his first visit, this room was vast and grand. Flags in green, red, and blue bearing golden Triforces hung from the ceiling several stories over head. Large stained glass windows depicting the races, the Goddesses, and other peaceful scenes cast bright ribbons of light across the floor. A red carpet formed a path from the door to the foot of the stairs – stairs that led up to a large throne.

Zelda sat on the throne, her slightly slumped posture betraying her otherwise royal appearance. Her blonde hair was gathered behind her back in a loose braid, and she rested her chin on one hand while the other held a letter. Blue eyes slid smoothly back and forth as she read. Around the room other people stood, talking quietly in small groups.

All heads turned and the room fell silent as they entered. Link felt terribly out of place. His clothes were torn and dirty, he had not bathed in several days, and he had several cuts and scrapes from encounters with various monsters. With tired muscles and sore limbs, he hoped he looked better than he felt.

“Eyes forward, head up,” Sheik said softly from his shoulder. “The only person in this room you need to worry about right now is the Princess.”

Swallowing hard, he gave only the slightest nod of acknowledgment. Zelda rose from her throne and moved to the edge of the stairs. Link stopped at the bottom and bowed. Somewhere behind him one of the men snorted at his form. He rose to see Sheik glaring over his shoulder at the lord. Zelda only smiled kindly at him.

“Link, Sheik, you made it. I was afraid you had run into trouble.”

“Nothing we couldn’t handle,” Sheik replied.

“I am glad. We are still waiting for several nobles to arrive. Please, feel free to rest and wash up from your journey. I will send someone for you when all is prepared.”

“And what proof do we have that this is not some wild goose chase?” Link turned to see a portly man with gray, greased back hair and a goatee. He was dressed in red and gold and might have cut a respectable image if not for the obvious stains on his tunic. “You children should know this is not something to joke about.”

Sheik glared, his jaw set in a hard frown. “I assure you, Lord Eustache, this is no game.”

“Of course not. But you have been chasing this phantom moblin for years. What proof do you have this is not just a grand delusion?” A wave of whispers raced around the room and Link saw Sheik visibly tense, his fingers curling slowly into a fist so tight his knuckles turned white.

“It is not a delusion,” Link said firmly. The large man turned dark blue eyes on him and Link straightened his shoulders, daring the nobleman to challenge him.

“Oh, is that so, boy? And have you seen this moblin?”

Link felt color rush to his cheeks as he realized he had simply taken Sheik at his word on the matter. He glanced at his friend, who looked back at him with an unreadable expression. When his eyes slid back to Lord Eustache, the victorious gleam in his eyes made Link’s gut tighten.

“I don’t need to see the foal to know the mare is pregnant.”

Eustache sneered. “How very...couth.”

“Go fuck yourself,” Sheik snapped.
“I believe,” Zelda interrupted before the nobleman could return fire, “that we are all tired and could do with a bit of rest. We will recess for now, to regroup when everyone has arrived.” Though her voice was soft and lilting, it was a clear dismissal. With only a few moments of hesitation from the men and a soft round of grumbling, the room emptied – save for a token guard at the door. As Link and Sheik turned to leave, Zelda called them back. “I have had rooms prepared for you in the east wing, away from the other nobles.” Link felt his face go red again at the implication. “I hope you will find them to your liking.”

Sheik glanced around to make sure the room was empty before he cast her a playful smile. “Zelda, my dear Princess, we have been sleeping on the ground or in the saddle for the last week. Put us in the stables and we will be pleased to have a roof overhead.” He clutched his heart dramatically. “For, truly, we are nothing but your servants. Beat us as you see fit.”
Zelda returned his humor with a withering glare before looking at Link. “How do you put up with him?”

Link shifted his weight uncomfortably even as a smile pulled at the edge of his lips. “Head wounds, I believe, my lady.”

Sheik replied with a rude gesture. Link paled, but Zelda only laughed. After a moment, she sobered and sighed. “You both had better go rest. Tonight is not going to be easy on anyone.”

Link started to ask, but a sharp tug at his elbow told him otherwise. Bowing, he followed Sheik out of the room. Glancing over his shoulder, he caught sight of Zelda sighing again as she dropped back into her throne.

“What did she mean by that?” Link asked as Sheik waved off a guard offering to escort them. Sheik only shook his head and led the way through the castle. Link was not sure how Sheik knew which rooms belonged to them, but followed him anyway.

“Take a bath and get some rest, Hero. There are a few things I need to do.”

Link was too tired to argue.

&&&

When he woke it was early evening, and golden light poured in through the balcony doors. Sitting up, he stretched and yawned. Rubbing his eyes he glanced around his room. Someone had folded his clothes and lain them across the back of the desk chair. The balcony doors had been opened to let in the evening breeze. A covered plate had been left on his nightstand; lifting the lid he found a plate of bread, cheese, fruit, and salted meats. His stomach rumbled in response.

Throwing on his tunic and pants, he dug into the food. He was halfway through when the door to his room opened and two guards dragged a man in with Sheik trailing in their wake.

“Oh, good, you’re awake, Hero,” He turned to the guards and motioned to the other side of the room. “Just leave it over there.” The guards nodded, then dragged the man across the room and stood him up. Curious, Link craned his neck; it was not until the guards moved that he realized it was a tailor’s dummy and not a man. It was dressed in a new green tunic, tan pants, highly polished armor, and new boots. Link laughed to see a new Kokiri style hat on the dummy’s head. “So what do you think, Hero?”

Leaving his half eaten meal on the nightstand, he walked over to the dummy and examined the armor. Though he knew very little about armor, he could tell this was high-end work, the kind a noble would wear. Each piece had been expertly shaped to form a rim around the edge about an inch wide. The part inside the rim had been carefully painted a shade darker than the tunic underneath.
The shoulder guards sat high on the arm, but a pair of small hinges allowed them to move easily onto the shoulders when he lifted his arms. The breastplate covered just enough of the chest to guard the heart and lungs. Three pieces of armor formed a “skirt” about the dummy’s waist, covering its hips and groin.

“It’s wonderful. Where did you get it?”

“Zelda had it commissioned for you after you were named Hero of Hyrule. I added the colors, tunic, and cap though.”

“For me...” Link ran his fingers gently over the smooth steel. For a long moment he stared at his hand. It had always been hard and callused, the signs of hard work decorating them like a map of his life. But something was different now. The muscles stood out in a way they had not before. New calluses were forming where before there had been virgin skin, the muscles tensing and flexing visibly with even the slightest movement. “But... why?”

“So you don’t get skewered by something nasty?” Sheik offered with a teasing smile. “But seriously. If the nobility is going to take you seriously, you have to look the part to begin with. You can be the people’s champion, but if you can’t win some of the bigwigs to your side you will never make any headway.”

“I have the Princess’s support though,” Link pointed out as he discarded his old hat for the one on the dummy’s head.

“You do.” Sheik nodded as he began taking the armor off and setting it on the bed. “But even she can’t override all the nobles if they band together against her. And speaking of the nobles, you have a meeting to get to. Forget about the chain mail, just put on the tunic and I’ll help you with the rest.”

Link obliged. Stripping out of his worn clothes, he donned the new pants, tunic, and boots. They were stiff and lacked the comfortable lived-in feel of his old clothes, but it was nice to have something truly clean on again.

“Now, listen up, Hero. I’m going to give you the down and dirty version of who’s who in Hyrule politics. It’s boring as hell, but try to stay with me.” Sheik moved to the bed and lifted the breastplate and shoulder guards so they sat up on their own. While working the buckles across the back, he kept talking. “The noble class is subdivided into three smaller classes. The highest ranking nobles wear blue and there are only three of them. Thorvald is one of them; the other two are Detlef and Dusan.

“Detlef is the one who is older than dirt. I swear on the Goddesses he will die before he surrenders his seat. But all he has is daughters and will only pass his seat to a son. Oddly enough he fully supports Zelda, though I can’t promise he knows the King died.” He lifted the armor from the bed and carefully placed it on Link’s shoulders. He adjusted it several times before he was happy with how it sat. “Dusan is the young man, younger than me in fact. His father died last summer and he took over. He’s head over heels for Zelda, so as long as you have her support, you have his.

“The mid-rank nobles will be wearing red and there are six of them. You’ve already had the displeasure of meeting Eustache. There is also Blaz, Polyduekes, Kingsley, Radomir, and Kasper. Blaz is the guy completely stuck on himself. As far as he’s concerned the best ideas all come from him. The only reason he supports Zelda is because the kingdom has always been run by her family. Take a deep breath and hold it.” Link obliged, and Sheik tightened the buckles so they were firm about his ribs, but not tight. “Okay. Does it pinch or rub anywhere? Move around and try it out to be sure.”

Link twisted, took a few deep breaths, and moved his arms in all directions. “No, feels fine.”

“Good. Now, Polyduekes was once one of the Blue Rank nobles, but Thorvald pushed him out. He’s bitter and will disagree with Thorvald just for the sake of disagreeing with him. Still there is no guarantee he will support you, but may see you as another threat to his power.” Sheik paused as he lifted the lower half of the armor and inspected it.

“Kingsley and Radomir are currently having a fight over land. I’m not clear on the details, but I think it has a gold or silver deposit on it that they both want. Radomir doesn’t like Zelda ruling, but he likes Thorvald even less. Kingsley supports Thorvald just to piss Radomir off.

“Kasper’s stand against Zelda has nothing to do with her or Thorvald. He wanted his daughter to marry Dusan, but Dusan Senior told him no. He thinks the young man should follow his lead now that his father is dead, but that won’t happen.” It took some maneuvering to get the piece around Link’s hips and settled properly, but after several minutes they were both happy with its fit.

“Last you have the Green Rank nobles,” Sheik continued as he picked up the belt Kaimana had given Link. “This is where you fit into things since you don’t own any land of your own. That said, some of them do own a great deal of land, but not all of them. Their names are Ingumar, Llewellyn, Sergious, Baltazar, Canall, Paramonos, Lysimachus, Jaap, and Norbert.
“Ingumar and Lysimachus were the King’s advisers before his death. Ingumar thinks of Zelda like a daughter and will side with whatever she decides. Llewellyn... I’ll just say he’s on our side and leave it at that. Sergious may be a problem. He used to employ my father and did not agree with his change of position.” Sheik started to put the belt around Link’s hips, but the younger man took it and attached it himself. Sheik laughed lightly.

“Canall could go either way; he will always stick to the letter of the law but not always the spirit. Paramonos is wishy-washy; he’ll do whatever is in his personal best interest, always. Until recently Jaap was pretty dependable, but the grapevine says he’s been bought out by Thorvald. I don’t know if that is true, but it means his loyalty is questionable.
“Norbert is the most consistent member of the nobility. In fact, I’ve never known him to change his opinions on anything. He’s one of those who doesn’t own any land of his own, but he is well versed in the politics of all the races and is the one called on whenever there is a conflict of interest. He always does what is best for Hyrule, even if it means disagreeing with everyone.”

Link stared at him for several minutes, his head buzzing with all the information. “Am I supposed to remember all that?”

Sheik laughed. “No. Don’t worry, I’ll be there to help you.” He smiled and stepped back to have a better look. “Only one more piece.”

Confused, Link looked back at the dummy, but it had been stripped bare. “What else is there?”

“This,” Sheik replied as he opened the wardrobe and produced a gray cape. It looked like the wool cloak he usually wore in the winter, but its easy flowing movements told him it was much lighter. Sheik tossed it easily about Link’s shoulders, before securing the front with a silver pin. The pin was shaped like a phoenix, its wings spread wide, clutching a pink pearl. “The gray cape means you are a noble, but not a land owner. The phoenix means you serve Hyrule, both the kingdom and the family, and the pink pearl means you were granted status by the Princess.” He took a few steps back. “Perfect. So long as you don’t speak, no one has to know you weren’t born to nobility.”

Link made a rude gesture.

&&&

Link took a deep breath as he looked up at the double doors of the throne room. His head was still buzzing from the information Sheik had given him. Beyond the door he could hear the shouting of angry voices. A strong hand patted his shoulder. “Go on, Hero. I’ve got your back.”

“Okay...”

The loud creak of hinges cried over the shouting as Link pushed the twin doors open. The room beyond fell silent as the men and Zelda turned to look at him. A long table had been placed in the room and surrounded by high-backed chairs. The men seated around it seemed to be in no particular order that Link could discern. Greens sat with Reds, who sat next to Blues. Zelda was seated on her throne, on the platform above the table. Though she cast him a gentle, albeit tired, smile, the rest of the room was less than welcoming.

“What do you want? We don’t have time to humor children,” Thorvald sniffed.

“You’re just disappointed we didn’t die in that well,” Link replied, leveling the older man with a glare.

“What is this about a well?” a lean man in his late twenties asked. His black hair was cut short to keep it out of his dark eyes. With the hard frown he gave Thorvald, the man looked a bit sinister.

“That’s Llewellyn,” Sheik said softly in his ear.

“It is none of your business,” Thorvald replied evenly.

“Let us get on with this. We are all important men with important work to get done,” A blonde-haired man cut in. “The child is obviously here at the invitation of the Princess and it is a waste of time arguing about it.”

“Blaz,” Sheik provided in a whisper. “Thank the man.”

“Thank you, Lord Blaz,” Link replied with a small bow and took the only remaining seat. Sheik stopped a few paced behind him and stood with his hands behind his back. Blaz raised an eyebrow, but did not comment.

A stout man with a monocle huffed and squinted at a scroll held tightly between fat hands. “Now, the first order of business is–”

“The first order of business, Canall,” snapped a thin, brown haired man, “is to decide if we are even being attacked.”

“I saw the moblin with my own eyes, Lord Sergious,” replied the youngest man at the table. “I said as much earlier, or are you calling me a liar?”

“You’re too young to even know what you saw, boy. Be silent and listen to your betters.”

“I am no child, you overstuffed bastard. And you will address me by name, Kasper.”

“That is Lord Kasper to you, Dusan. I was on this council before you were old enough to walk. Until you do something worth respecting, I will treat you as the impudent child that you are!”

“Enough!” roared a tiny man directly to Link’s right. He was startled that such a small man could make such a loud noise. The rest of the table seemed startled as well, and immediately fell silent. “Let us assume war is upon us and move forward.”

“Fine,” Thorvald sniffed primly. “The first order of business then is simple. Who will lead the army?”

“Zelda will,” the young man said firmly. “She is the reigning member of the House of Hyrule. No one else has the authority.” Several of the nobles muttered in agreement. Others sneered.

“Bullshit,” Eustache blustered. “No man worth his salt would follow a woman into battle.”

“What you are suggesting is high treason against the crown,” replied an older man with salt and pepper hair.

“Of course not, Lord Ingumar,” cut in a man with dark blond hair and airy blue eyes. “Lord Eustache is merely stating the obvious. Women are not fit to lead armies, regardless of how capable they are otherwise.”

“Poppycock,” Ingumar replied.

“There is no law against a woman leading a war,” Canall added, carefully wiping his monocle and squinting at his scroll.

“Regardless,” Thorvald said firmly, “be it her right or by law, soldiers will not listen to the orders of a woman.”

“That is crap and you know it,” shouted a man with a mane of silvery hair. “She has proven time and again she is as capable as any man.”

“Silence.”

Link looked up in surprise at the first words he had heard the Princess speak during the whole meeting. Even the nobles looked a bit taken aback by the firmness in her voice. Thorvald frowned at her, but refrained from commenting with thinly pressed lips.

“I thank you for your unwavering support, Lord Lysimachus, but Lord Thorvald is correct. A princess is not fit to lead an army.”

“Princess Zelda...” Dusan started to protest, rising from his chair. Thorvald smiled slightly.

She raised a hand to silence him. “A princess is a wonderful thing in a time of peace. A kingdom in such a state needs only gentle guidance and a pretty face to show its people. Someone they can love and respect from afar.

“But war is a different matter. People need someone they can trust to be strong, someone who can protect them from the encroaching darkness. So I will cede my power...”

“Good.” Thorvald clapped his hands once. “Now we can–”

“I will cede my power to Sheik,” Zelda cut him off. Chairs scraped against the stone floor and clothes swished as everyone turned to look at Sheik. Even Link turned in surprise. To his credit, Sheik looked just as startled, his green eyes wide and his jaw slightly slack behind his scarf.

“Absolutely not!” Sergious snarled. “I refuse to follow that, that, son of a traitor.”

“Not wanting to work for you hardly makes his father a traitor,” Llewellyn huffed. “That said, I do find it an odd choice.”

“Do you really?” Zelda asked in a voice that implied she did not expect an answer. “He is by a far the most experienced warrior in this room despite his age. He also has proven he can take an untrained man and teach him to fight in a short amount of time.” She nodded her head towards Link, who felt his face heat up. “And Lord Norbert tells me the other races have spoken nothing but the highest praises of them both.”

“This is true,” Norbert agreed with a nod. “Though, the tales are a bit fantastic.”

Thorvald sent a nasty glare down the table.

Sheik snapped his heels together and gave a formal bow. “If that is her Majesty’s wish, I will give my life to see it through.” He straightened and walked around the perimeter of the table to stand at the head.

“Gentlemen, we have a large number of refugees about to converge on Castle Town. They are being pursued by the creatures driven before the moblin army. They will arrive tired and hungry. First, we must find a way to accommodate and keep them all safe. Second, we will need a strategy, preferably one that does not cause a draft.”

“If the moblins are moving as you say, then they will probably mass to the south,” Dusan provided. “That will put them at the main entrance to Castle Town. It is not the most defensible position.”

“Not to mention a breach would lose us the city,” Norbert added.

Kasper raked Sheik with a disgusted look. “So, great and wise leader, what do you propose we do?” Sheik glared at him.
“Excuse me,” Link spoke up. “I know I’m new to military strategy, but can’t we herd them to where we want them somehow?”

Sheik blinked, then chuckled. “From the mouths of babes. That is an excellent idea, but the execution will be tricky.”

“They aren’t cattle, little boys,” Eustache huffed.

“No,” Polydeukes agreed. “But they aren’t a lot smarter either. Well-placed bait will bring them around to a more defensible position and they will probably never know they’ve been had.”

“All right,” Sheik cut off the argument before it went further. “That will be a start. Dusan, Blaz, I need an accurate account of the supplies we have on hand. Determine how many people this town can support and for how long. Thorvald, Baltazar, we need to siphon off the flow of incoming refugees and send them to other fortified towns. I need to know how much each of these towns can support and for how long.

“Ingumar, Kasper, we will need a protected way to send the women and children once we know how many we can send. We won’t be able to spare soldiers, so find some men who can use swords to use as guards. Norbert, Link, you two have the best relationship with the other races right now. I need the two of you to lobby for support.

“Meet back here tomorrow evening after dinner to report.”

Chairs scraped against the floor, all but drowning out the grumbles of various nobles, as they rose and left the room. Link fell into step behind Lord Norbert, but glanced back to see Sheik talking to Zelda. At the door, all the nobles parted ways without a word to one another.

“Personally, I prefer Gerudo politics,” Norbert said as he and Link moved away from the other nobles. “Much less formal, much more straightforward.” Link pressed his lips together, wanting to laugh but not sure if the older man was joking. A quick smile from the lord alleviated his concerns. “I like you. You upset them.” This time Link did laugh.

“I don’t mean too.”

“All the better. You won’t have to work at it.” Norbert chuckled as he turned down a corridor Link did not recognize. “So tell me...Link, was it?” Link nodded. “Tell me, Link, are the tales I have heard about you true?”

“I don’t know, Sire, what have you heard?”

“Don’t call me that. I, like yourself, only became a noble at the whim of the Princess because I can provide a valuable service to the kingdom.”

“All right,” Link agreed.
“As to what I’ve heard. You tame dragons, slay gohmas and shred krakens, among other things.” Link felt his face grow hot and began studying the paintings on the wall as they walked. Norbert smiled slightly, casting the younger man a sly sideways glance. “Though, I’m sure such stories have been enhanced with flights of fancy. I understand no one except Sheik and yourself actually witnessed what transpired, so all retellings must be taken with a grain of salt. No need to correct them, true or false, I rather enjoy the tales.”

“Sure,” Link replied with a soft sigh. “No problem.”

Norbert stopped outside an old door at the far end of the hall. Its wrought iron hinges were free of rust and the door had been recently polished, yet it still held a mustiness around it like a heavy winter cloak. Pushing the door open, he let Link inside. The room was sparsely furnished, with only a large desk, a chair, and several shelves of old books and scrolls. Several pigeons sat in cages along one wall. Despite the open window, the room still held a distinct odor that made Link’s nose wrinkle.

“From here, we can send messages to the leaders of all the races far faster than by conventional methods.”

&&&

Link drew the string to his cheek, took aim, and let the arrow fly. It landed with a satisfying thud on the target set up across the garden. Frowning that the shot was a bit high, he took another arrow from his quiver.

“Having fun?” Sheik asked.

Link released his next arrow, landing it below and to the right of his previous shot, before he turned and shrugged. “Just killing time.”

“So long as that is all you kill,” Sheik joked weakly. He drew his swords and gave Link a half smile. “Can I join you?’

“Sure.” Link smiled back, putting away his bow and drawing his own sword. Raising his shield, he slid into a fighting stance. For a long moment they watched each other, neither moving.

Then Sheik attacked. Link dodged, the thin sword clanging off his shield. Swinging in a wide arc, he slashed at Sheik’s arm, but the older man ducked away easily. A gleam in his eye, Sheik retreated, dodging Link’s every attack but never returning with any of his own. “Come on, Hero. Let’s see if you can draw blood.”

With a growl, Link thrust his sword at Sheik’s shoulder. Sheik countered with a backbend that let the sword cut into empty space and sent Link off balance. Grabbing Link’s extended wrist, he twisted around and slung the younger man across the courtyard.

Link landed with a hard thud and a groan. Pushing himself up he glared at Sheik, who only smiled back. “One day, that won’t work on me,” Link huffed.

“But in the meantime I find it very amusing. Come on, Hero. Draw my blood and I’ll let you train the new recruits.”

“What recruits?’ Link asked as they crossed swords.

“You didn’t hear? I called for a draft. All those farmers are going to need someone to show them around a sword. They will probably listen best to one of their own. So come one, Farm Boy, show me what you got!”
Link lunged, his sword glancing off Sheik’s blade. Again and again he attacked, but Sheik kept retreating and defending. Link tried working him into a corner to no avail; the older man simply laughed at him as he ducked away. Finally, when Link was panting and sweat was beading on his face, Sheik stopped.

“Your stepfather will be proud to see how much you’ve grown.”

“Papa Lon is here?” Link asked between gulps of air.

“Yes,” Sheik said evenly. “He is with the other recruits waiting for instructions.” Link felt his blood run cold and his breath catch. Wide blue eyes met calm green, hoping he had heard wrong. “I’m sorry, Link. I didn’t have any choice. I had to call for a full draft, all able bodied men will fight.”

Link lunged and Sheik raised his swords to block the strike, but was unprepared when Link dropped his sword in favor of his fist. The blow knocked Sheik clean off his feet and the Master Sword clattered to the ground at Link’s feet.

Sheik sat up slowly and carefully touched his mouth. A spot of blood was darkening his scarf. “Damn, Hero. I knew you’d be upset, but did you have to hit me so hard?”

“Let him go, Sheik. I’ll fight, so send him away.”

Sheik rose to his feet so he could look the younger man in the eyes. “You know I can’t do that.”

“You son of a bi–” Link’s attack was cut short by a knee to his gut that dropped him to the ground. Cursing, Link gasped for breath as Sheik knelt next to him. “I promise, I will do my best to keep your stepfather out of the thick of things, but I have to worry about Hyrule as a whole right now and you have recruits to train. When you are ready, they are waiting in the main hall.”

He got up and walked away, but turned back at the sound of Link’s voice. The younger man was still on the ground and his voice sounded strangely lost. “What about my sister? Her grandfather can’t take care of her forever; he’s too old. What will happen to her if we all die?”
“I’ll make sure she is taken care of, Hero. I swear on my father’s grave.”

&&&

Link pushed open the doors to the main hall and surveyed the men gathered in the room. They were all around his age and Link silently thanked the Goddesses that he did not have to see his stepfather right now. Most wore simple peasant tunics and pants, but a few had finer clothes on. Soldiers stood on the other side of the room chatting as they leaned against a table piled with weapons. When they spotted him, still dressed in his armor and cape, they all snapped to attention.
With the soldiers in the background, the recruits looked sadly out of place and he wondered momentarily if this was how Sheik had seen him when they first met. The farmers turned to face him as he entered and he immediately recognized several of them.

Alexander was only a year Link’s senior and the two had been fast friends for many years. Big as a tree, he had always dwarfed Link, yet his size belied his gentle demeanor. His family owned a farm that specialized in goats and the boy could often be found carefully tending the delicate kids in the spring.

Dominik, Link only knew in passing. Lean and lanky, he more than made up for his lack of physical strength with a quick wit. Unfortunately he used it more in playing pranks and cracking jokes than anything else.

Filip, Link had known the longest. He was from a poor farm much like the one Link’s family had owned before his father’s death. During the summer months, when the menagerie of baby animals swelled the population of Lon Lon Ranch, Link had often convinced his stepfather to hire Filip as extra help. With his messy brown hair and half-cocked grin, it was easy to suspect him of wrongdoing, though Link had always known him to toe the line.

He stared at the three boys and they stared back – slowly giving his attire a once over. Link felt his cheeks flood with heat as he realized he was still wearing the armor Sheik had given him.

“So the rumors are true,” Alexander said slowly. “You have joined the nobility.”

“Not by choice...” Link muttered.

“We are honored by your presence, your Grace,” Dominik added with a melodramatic bow. Link gave him a dry look and a rude gesture. “That’s not very noble of you.”

“Be nice, Dom,” Filip cut in, “or he won’t give you a sword.”

“Oh, right, like Link of all people, would send me out defenseless just for grins.”

“Does anyone here know how to use a sword?” Link interrupted before they could get going. No one answered and Link let out a dejected sigh.
“And that is why they get to be cannon fodder,” one soldier whispered to another with a snicker. No one else noticed, but it rang in Link’s ears.

Turning, he glared at the offending man. “You want to say that loud enough for everyone to hear?” The soldier startled visibly. Link stalked towards him. “You’re all the same, thinking you’re so smart. You think having more money makes you special, but your life is made on our backs. We put the food on your plate, the sword in your hand, and breed the horse that you ride.

“There is nothing you own that we did not make in some way, shape, or form. So what the hell makes you so special? You’re just a soldier, you don’t think for yourself, just follow blindly. You’ve probably never done a real day’s labor in your life, so don’t you dare spit on us.”

“Sorry, sire.”

“Don’t call me that. Now hand out the swords and get to work.”

“Yes, sire.” The soldiers scrambled to do as they were told.

The next four hours passed slowly. Link made sure every man was properly equipped and taught how to use the weapons. Most of them were slow learners, and even though he did not let the soldiers skimp on the details, it was clear that none of them would stand a chance in a real fight. If the soldiers had any opinion on this, they wisely kept it to themselves.

“Link, can you really use one of these things?” Filip asked. He was holding his own sword awkwardly.

A grin tugging at the edge of his mouth, Link reach back and drew The Master Sword in a single smooth move. His friends’ eyes widened. Smiling at the soldier who had made the comment earlier, he crooked a finger. The man cursed, but came forward and drew his sword.

Link slid into a fighting stance and studied his opponent. Sheik had always had two swords that he used for both attack and defense. This man had a single sword and shield. Where Sheik was only a few years older than him, this soldier could easily have been his father. Add to that a slightly portly frame and a rusty stance; he was a stark contrast to everything Link was accustomed to in facing Sheik.

The soldier charged and Link dodged, letting the other’s sword glance off his shield. As the man passed, Link stuck his foot out, tripping him as he elbowed him between the shoulders. The soldier crashed to the floor, his armor clattering on the stone. He clambered to his feet, and turned to face Link again.

This time Link attacked. The soldier raised his own shield in defense, but it did little good. The Master Sword hit the shield with a deafening clang. The older man skidded across the floor from the force. The shield was dented; a furrow cut vertically that caused the shield to buckle outwards.

“Holy Nayru...” Dominik whispered in the following silence. The soldier looked at Link in horror as he struggled to get his warped shield off his arm.

Link twirled his sword and re-sheathed it, ignoring the man. “I think that is enough for the day. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m hungry.”

&&&

Link stared idly at the armor, now back on the dummy, as he picked at his food. He had been invited to dine with the nobles, but had declined. They were only doing it as a formality, and while he did enjoy annoying them, he just did not feel like dealing with their pompousness. He had not seen Sheik for the rest of the day, which in hindsight was probably for the best. Still, they shared adjacent rooms and could not avoid each other forever.

A soft knocked on the door filled the room a moment before the door swung open and Sheik stepped in. The two men stared at each other, not saying a word. Link put his still mostly full plate aside and slid from the bed to stand up.

“I hear you pretty well terrorized the soldiers I sent to help you today,” Sheik offered finally. Link’s mouth formed a hard line, but he made no reply. “Good for you. If you’d let them walk all over you, we’d really have a problem on our hands. Now they won’t question your orders, so I don’t have to be everywhere at once.”

“Oh, goodie, I’ve been promoted from whipping boy to errand boy. Lucky me,” Link said flatly.

Sheik sighed. “I guess I should have expected you to still be pissed. I would be to if I was in your boots. But before you demand my head, hear me out.”

“Fine.”

“I’ve placed your stepfather on the last line. His job will be to help guard the keep, where all those who can’t fight will be hiding. If the moblin get that far, Hyrule is royally screwed anyway and we’re probably both dead. As for your sister,” Sheik held up the scroll in his hand. Link blinked in surprise, having not noticed it before, “I had Zelda seize your farm.”

“What?! How the hell is that helping?”

“If something happens to you and your stepfather, she will officially own Lon Lon Ranch. Your sister will live in the castle and the work will be done by hired hands until such time as Ray is old enough to take over. This,” Sheik tossed the scroll to Link, “is your half of the contract. Without it, Zelda’s half is void. If you live, burn it. If you die but your stepfather lives, I or Zelda will burn it.” Without another word, Sheik turned and left the room, leaving Link with the scroll and his thoughts.

&&&
The next few days passed in a hazy blur for Link. He trained recruits, helped organize the refugees, moved supplies, built barriers, met with nobles, and greeted the other races as they arrived. Everything moved fast and he never seemed to get enough sleep.

A week after they had arrived, the first scout returned with news on the moblin army and Link was summoned to the throne room to be briefed. When he arrived, Sheik was standing next to Zelda, who sat on her throne, and the nobles were gathered in small groups since there had not been time to set up tables and chairs. Leaders of the Zora, Rito, and Goron and their assorted advisers stood together as well. The gathered turned to look at him as he entered.

“Sorry I’m late,” he muttered. “I was on the other side of Castle Town.”

“Playing a game of Chip Toss with your buddies no doubt,” Thorvald replied coolly.

“Somehow I doubt you even know what that is,” Link replied.

Sheik cleared his throat loudly. “The first reports are in from the scouts and it isn’t good. It seems the moblin have joined with bokoblin and their numbers are much higher than was anticipated. The barrier we have been erecting is just going to slow them down. This means they will most likely make a full frontal assault on the entrance to Castle Town. We need to evacuate any non-fighting refugees still in the city.

“Dusan, I am entrusting you to take the Princess into the next kingdom and stay with her until you receive word it is safe to return to Hyrule.”

“Understood.” The young lord nodded.

“I am not leaving,” Zelda said firmly.

“Zelda, this is not the time to be stubborn,” Sheik snapped, turning to look at her with a frown.

The Princess raised an eyebrow at him. “This is my kingdom, Sheik, and I will not abandon it. Furthermore, I am quite capable with a sword. You did teach me yourself after all.”

Sheik sighed, giving up a fight he could not win. “Kaimana, Haldor, Aquila, if you wish to take your people and leave, this is the time.”

“The Goron do not run from fights,” Haldor said, pounding his large fist against his chest. “We are with you to the final blow.”

“I cannot return to my people with my fin between my legs,” Kaimana replied.

“Our Shaman has spoken to the Goddesses and say this battle will decide the fate of all Hyrule. We cannot afford to turn tail,” Aquila grunted.

“That is all well and good,” Eustache huffed. “But unless someone has a plan, it will not do us any good.”

“Can I make a suggestion?” Link asked.

“At this point, Hero, I am open to anything. What have you got?”

The meeting lasted well past midnight, and by the time Sheik sent them all to bed his body was aching for want of sleep. Sheik walked beside him as they headed back towards their rooms. For the first time Link noticed how tired Sheik looked. While he carried himself with the same confident stride, his green eyes were darker and there were dark lines under them.

“Sir Link.” It was all Link could do not to sigh as he turned around. Kite was striding down the hallway towards them, Taticus, wearing apprentice robes, hurrying along behind him. The Rito Shaman was carrying something wrapped in red silk, cradled in the crook of his right arm. When he reached the two Hyrulians he came to an abrupt stop and held the item out. “Forgive me this late hour, but Aquila said it was imperative you receive this. He intended to gift it to you before you departed, but you left with such haste we were unprepared.”

“That’s all right. Tell Aquila I thank him for the gift,”Link replied, taking the offered item. He realized as he took it the silk was wrapped around a wooden box about the size of a cucco’s cage. Balancing the box on one hand, he pushed the silk aside to reveal a delicately carved chest. Curious, he lifted the lid.

Inside was a circlet made of highly polished silver. The front curved down into a sweeping V. At the temples a pair of stylized wings unfurled from smoothly carved opals.

“The Rito children have been using these for generations. With the use of magic, they can give the wearer a few moments of flight,” Kite explained. “We hope you will find it useful.”

“Thank you.” Link nodded.