Liberty's Kids Fan Fiction ❯ LIBERTY'S KIDS: Into the Future, and Into Space ❯ Lot's of books and Excitment ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER FIVE
 
 
The Next morning… everyone was awakened at 4:00 am. It all them nearly an hour to get up and dressed as they never thought they'd have to wake up this early.
 
“Well I'm sorry.” I said, “But if you're going to join us, you'll have to grow accustomed to our ways… and that includes early risings.”
 
After partaking breakfast in the main ballroom, at 6:00 am, it was time for their first class to begin.
 
Harmony's class on History, Technology, and Mythology.
 
The room they studied in was unlike any of their old schools from back in the Revolution time… it was a plain white room with desks, bookshelves, and a big Computerized blackboard in the center.
 
Once they all took their respective seats, Harmony took her place at the front of the room.
 
“Now then… The course we are about to learn about is History.” She said, “Since you are all from the time of the American Revolution, we will start from there and work our way to the present.”
 
She handed them each a book that was all about the American Revolution, from 1773 to 1789.
 
They were to study each of their books and make notes on things they already knew of. Thereby narrowing it down in the lessons.
 
For the whole hour and ten minutes of the class, everyone had remembered quite a lot from their old time… even Henri remembered some of the old places he had been to.
 
When it was time to head to the next class, Harmony gave them three more books each, about the 19th 20th, and 21st centuries, and they were to study those books in that order.
 
 
Melody's classroom was slightly different from Harmony's, it was more like a college chemistry room from the early 21st century.
 
Henri couldn't believe all the strange stuff he saw in there, but he knew that he shouldn't touch it without knowing what it was first.
 
And that was one of Melody's first rules when she started the class, and provided them with instruction sheets to follow along with.
 
Sarah couldn't believe all the rules and regulations there were to follow in science and chemistry.
 
For the rest of the day, they went to each of the different classes and were giving more assignments to follow along.
 
Henri could hardly carry all his books because they were so heavy. Luckily my Class, Astronaut training, started out as an exercise program to whip them all into shape.
 
But we didn't anything to advanced yet… I too gave them a book to study.
 
“Man… even I wouldn't give out this much homework.” Said Moses, “There's enough here to keep us busy for about a year.”
 
“Well, whether or not we like it, we need this educational course.” Said Elizabeth. “Even if it does seem difficult.”
 
That's when James noticed Henri was trying to sneak a peak at his 21st century History book. “Henri… put that down!”
 
“Oh… do I have to?” he asked.
 
“Henri LeFevre… you heard what Ms. Harmony said!” said Sarah, “We have to start at the beginning… from the Revolution.”
 
“But we shouldn't have to study too much on that… why we actually lived in that era.”
 
 
“It makes no difference, Henri.” Said Moses, “We may have lived in that time, but there was a lot still going on that we were never aware of.”
 
“And in case you've forgotten Henri…” added Samuel, “We were frozen in time… things have changed dramatically!”
 
“I know it's hard on you, it's hard on all of us, but just have to get used to it… after all you can't learn history in reverse… it's confusing enough for heaven sakes!”
 
Henri gave in and went back to his Revolution studies.
 
By the end of the day, they certainly were exhausted, all those studies and assignments.
 
They were even shocked to learned how long I had to stay in school when I studied for this.
 
Unlike in the Revolution, you only have to stay in school for until grade 3, Now people stayed until grade twelve… that's 14 years in school… if you start in preschool that is.
 
Then you had to take up college and University if you wished to do certain things, and becoming an Astronaut was no excuse.
 
Elizabeth and Sarah were even more amazed when they heard that Being an Astronaut would mean becoming a soldier.
 
Normally Sarah would say “That's completely barbaric! Since when do Ladies of the United Kingdom become soldiers.”
 
But knowing well that things have changed, she very well had no other option, and neither did her mother.
 
 
The Next morning
 
It was a lot easier for them to wake up and get out of bed, but classes were delayed for a while because today was the big day…
 
My Grandfather was going to Mars… and this they had to see.
 
They did know of Space and things, especially Mars from way back then, but actually get there… How was it possible?
 
They joined me up on the control tower and I pointed out the window towards the launch pads.
 
“Sacre Blu'!” said Henri, “What is that thing with the red tower and white towers?”
 
I told them everything, about it being a Space-shuttle, and My grandfather along with his team were inside it and ready for lift off.
 
I couldn't explain too much to them, because I was busy helping with the launch, and besides, they'd learn all about it soon enough.
 
Luckily they did have smaller notebooks with them to jot down notes and things, just like James and Sarah did for the paper.
 
“This is Shuttle Solar two, calling WASP control tower.” Came my grandfather's voice over the radio. “All systems A-ok… ready for thrust check.”
 
I spoke into a microphone, “This is control tower… you have a green light!” I said. “Rhapsody… sound amber alert!”
 
“Yes, sir!” she said, and once she pressed the switch, a loud humming sound was heard everywhere.
 
“Amazing…” said Samuel, “We never had things like this back in the army!”
 
I checked the big countdown timer on the wall, “Attention all Personal… T-minus 5 minutes until lift-off and counting.”
 
“Thrust check minus 30 seconds!”
 
“Angels… check power levels!” I said to the angels.
 
“Flame trench… A-ok!” said Destiny.
 
“Flame igniters… A-ok!” said Symphony.
 
“Liquid Oxygen loading valve… A-ok!” said Harmony.
 
“Rocket systems… A-ok!” said Melody!
 
“Navigational ports… A-ok!” said Rhapsody.
 
I checked the clock again. “Five seconds…” I spoke into the Microphone… “… Four… Three… Two… One… IGNITION!!”
 
Everyone taking notes watching amazement as the Shuttle began spitting out fire and noise from it's bottom.
 
“Thrust level… Ten-million pounds and increasing.” Said Melody.
 
“Come in Solar two… Come in Solar two!” I said. “You have a green light, prepare for launch!”
 
“Thank you control tower.” Said Troy. “Thrust… 20 million pounds and holding steady.”
 
“Good-Bye Grandfather… and Good luck.”
 
“Thanks Mykan… and Mykan do keep in mind that while your in charge while I'm gone… remember- -”
 
“I know, I know… “ I said, “don't so anything foolish unless it's critical.”
 
Troy smiled… “That's my boy!”
 
Everyone awed at that expression and I blushed a bit, but we quickly turned back to our work.
 
“Stand by Solar two!” I said, and checked the clock. “Fifteen seconds… commencing final-countdown!”
 
“Ten… Nine… Eight… Seven… Six… Five… Four… Three… Two… One… FULL POWER!!”
 
The Two towers by the Shuttle moved aside as the Fire got bigger. “… Lift-off!”
 
The shuttle began going up just like the Dumb-waiter the Philips' had in their old home.
 
“Lift-off… A-ok.” I said. “She looks good!”
 
“Altitude… Two-hundred thousand feet.” Said Destiny, “Speed, 7.5 miles per second!”
 
“Wow… that's so fast!” said James.
 
About 5 minutes later, the Shuttle had left Earth's atmosphere and linked up with a special ship that looked like a Fugitive from Galaxy Quest.
 
My Grandfather and his crew boarder the ship and left it for the other men aboard it to bring it back to Earth, while their ship headed off for Mars.
 
I smiled the biggest smiled I had ever smiled, “Project: Mission to Mars… IS ON!!!” I cried happily.
 
Everyone jumped up and burst into applause, even the Past people joined us, though they were still unsure of what was going on.
 
Still… they were proud to be apart of it.