Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Alexis ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer; I do not own the characters or anything that relates to this story. NOT EVEN THE STORY - it was sposted up long ago on an Orlando Bloom fansite by a girl in NZ and has long been out of commission. This fanfiction was printed from the site a long time ago, around 2002. I haven't found the story elsewhere, but believe it would be fair for everyone to enjoy this beautifully wrtten fanfiction. <3



* * *




In the darkest hour
One will come.
A Dwarf's stick,
A Hobbit's spirit,
A Wizard's might,
An Elf's heart.
All with Man's future
Shall the darkness be
Burned to light
By a warrior, pure and true.

* * *

Alexis sighed as she walked into her apartment.
"That good of a day?" Kari, her roommate, asked wryly, a crooked smile in place.
"Oh yea," Alexis sounded perilously close to whining, but it was a tirual to the girls. "I've been getting crap for sleep, my professors are dicks and my favorite pen broke." She bought her hand up, green ink marring her skin as she pouted.


Kari cocked her head to the side, regarding her roomie carefully. "Still having those dreams?" Alexis sank into the couch and groaned. "Yea." She let her head drop back on the cushion, her head rolling untll she was looking as Kari. She was giving her a sympathetic look, Alex had to her about the dreams that had been plaguing her.
"Have you tried everything?" Kari asked softly.
"Only one thing left to try." Alex looked at her, knowing this option made her uneasy. "I'll do it in my room, and I'll warn you before."
Kari nodded.


* * *


Alex sat in the middle of her room, a circle of salt surrounding her. A pentacle was drawn in the middle of the circle, each pointing touching the circle with a white candle, burning at each juncture. "Gods of Old," she intoned quietly. "Aid me in cleansing this place. Evil spirits be gone, leave this haven." Alex felt the air around her stir slightly, she closed her eyes, concentrating. "I banish thee, your work is done. As I will, so shall it be." A breeze lifted her hair slightly, then vanished all together. Alex heard a slight popping sound as she opened her eyes. She was surrounded by towering trees, the beneath her soft with moss. The air smelled clean and the sun shone brightly. All of this was almost lost on Alexis because of the arrow pointed at the hallow of her troat. "Ooh," she squeaked.

"Do not move or I shall release my arrow."
Alexis looked at the man in front of her with wide eyes. He was tall and lithe, his long blond hair falling over his shoulders. His eyes were bluer than anything she had ever seen and in them she could see he would hold true to his threat. Her eyes traveled over the planes of his face, taking in the delicate beauty of it. The hell with it. Alexis stood, facing the man with more bracado than she felt, holding her head high. "I'm not going to die like a bitch on my knees."
He seemed to regard her carefully, slowly lowering his bow. He stared at her curiously. In all his years, he had never seen a human woman look quite like her, or act so brazenly. They usually cry or wail. He unloaded his bow and she seemed to relax a little. "I am sorry. You startled me."
She snorted and laughed. "I startled you? I was the one who opened her eyes to an arrow at my throat." She bent down to brush the moss off her brightly colored pants, then straightened and put her hands on her hips. "Where am I?"


The man furrowed his brow. "You are along the borders of Mirkwood."
Alex sighed and cursed softly, looking down at her slippers. "Alright, I gotta get to a phone, pronto."
He looked ven more confused. "Phone?"
Realization slowly dawned on Alexis. "Oh shit." I'm nowhere near home. Oh Gods, where the hell am I? She looked at the man, scratch that... fairy, elf, nyph? "Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit. I'm not in Kansas anmore, Toto."
"My name is Legolas, not Toto." He said to the wide-eyed woman.
OK, calm down. At least someone knows where you are. "I'm Alexis, Alex for short."
"What are you doing on at Mirkwood borders, Alexis?" He asked, his soft voice soothing to her rattled nerves some.
She wrapped her arms around her, shivering slightly as she closed her eyes and tried to fire out how she had botched a simple cleansing spell so badly. "I wish I bloodly knew." She didn't hear him approach her untill she heard a slightl rustle beside her. Her eyes opened to find Legolas wrapping his short cloak around her shoulders. She smiled at hs kindness. "Thanks." Her grin turned mischievous. "Much better then an arrow at my throat." At his chagrined look she laughed lightly. "I'm kidding, it's ok."
"Come, its getting dark and the borderlads are unsafe." Her took her elbow gently, urging her to walk beside him. She fell into step eside him, not wanting to be alone in the darkness of this strang land.
They had walked a short distance, Alex cautiously watching Legolas out of the corner of her eye. His light hair almost gleamed in the diming light, his tanned skin lawless. He didn't make a sound when he walked, making the scuffle of her slippers all the more apparent on the forest floow. For some strange reason, Alex felt safe with him.
Her eyes strayed to the forest surrounding her, the hanting beauty of his stirring something deep inside her. Who'da thunk, the city girl may of a bit of cowgirl in her...hello. Alex stepped away from Legolas at the edge of the path, bent down and picked up a sturdy piece of wood a bit shorter than she was. She helt it triumphantly, feeling the sturdiness in its weight.

"Do you not trust me?" Legolas' tone sounded almost hurt. Almost.
Alexis returned to his side, using the staff as a walking stick. "Right now, I trust you just about as far as I could throw you. No offense." Alexis kept walking, then stopped. Legolas was a few feet behind her, unmoving yet attentive.



"Look, I'm sure you're perfectly trustworthy, but . . . "
He cut her off sharply. "Hush." Alexis was about to give him a piece of her mind when an unsettled feeling swept over her and Legolas drew his bow. "Run."
"Oh sure, off into the dark forest that I dont know? I'll get right on that."
He looked at her sharply, blue eyes blazing. "Run or die."
Alex bit off a sharp remark but stood her ground, grasping the staff in both hands. "What is that?" She askes softly.
"Orcs. Now get out of here." He said, his eyes affixed down his arrow. Into the dusk light Alexis got her firs tlook at an Orc as they came running down the path. Dark and lumpy, they were ugly by anyone's standards. Legolas picked off four in rapid succession, but they kept coming. Frozen in terror, she watched as they started to converge on Legolas like scaravs, sharp teeth bared. He was quick, but not quick enough as they flanked him.
He saw the oily blade aimed for his side too late. Legolas braced himself for pain, but none came. A femnine grunt followed by a wet smack and crack came into place. He glanced at his side and saw Alexis there, wearing a look of determination. An Orc lay lifeless on the ground, the side of his head caved in. She swung her staff around a few more times, incapacitating two more as Legolas used his arrow to stab one Orc that was too close to shoot. He backed up a few steps and shot off a few more arrows, then grabbed her arm and took off at a breathtaking speed. Alexis had no choice but to run. "I thought I told you to run." He bit of sharply, secretly glad she had stuck around to help him.
The corners of her mouth tickled up slightly. "Yea, I don't listen real well." She struggled to keep up, but the fact she had slippers on and was nowhere near being a runner was slowing her and Legolas down dramatically.
"How much farther?"
"Not much farther."
Alexis knew he was lying. "We need help." She slowed slightly, the Orcs having fallen behind a little, but no much. "I'm slowing you down. Get out of here. Get help."
"I will not leave," he started when Alexis gave him a shove forward.
"GO! We can't fight them all alone. I'll just stay on this path and pray you get to me before they do." She grabbed the sword sheathed under his quiver, took a moment to marvel at its lightness and shoved him once more. "GO!"
He took off down the path, disappearing quickly. Oh Gods, help his feet fly. She continued to run, the Orcs closing in on her steadily. She stopped long enough to kick off her slippers, bare feet protesting but enabling her to run a bit faster. She was tiring quickly as a dim thought raced through her head. He'll never get back in time. Her lungs were burning and legs were quivering from exertion.

A familiar scent tickled her nose, bringing her a glimmer of hope. Water. Close by. She tried to ignore the frunts and snarls behind her as she focused on the direction the scent was coming from. She veered to her right, hacking at all the growth that got in her way. Rocks sliced her feet as branches raked across her face and bare ars, thin rivults of blood welling up in their paths. A snarl over her shoulder her scream as she whirled around, swinging the sword blindly, satisfied and frossed out when she felt it slice through flesh like butter. She watched the head of the Orc fall off of his body as she turned and stumbled. She slid a foot or two, stopping near the edge of a cliff, the smell of water filling her nose. She scurried to the side, glancing down to a drop between her and the still surface of the small lake. She was dizzy, and the hieght wasn't helping much. Through the thundering of the Orcs, she heard a faint thwapping.
A quick glance confirmed her hopes, Legolas was back and had brought friends. She could barely make them out, in the trees but she caught glimpses of light hair in the trees, a steady rain of arrows hailing down from the trees. Alexis brought her legs under her, struggling to stand as an Orc barreled right into her, sending them both tumbling over the cliff. She thought she had heard her name called out, but she couldn't be sure. All she could be sure of the steely grip around her neck, steadily crushing her windpipe. The shock of the icy water hitting her made Alexis' lungs contract painfully. It seemed to do the same to the Orc, its grip loosening by degrees. Or just realized it's royally fucked. Alexis didn't care either way as she brought her hands up to claw at the hands around her neck as she tucked her legs into her chest. She pulled away at the Orcs' thumbs as she planted her feet firly on his arored chest and pushed with all the might she could muster.

The force seperated them and Alexis could swear she heard it cry out as she kicked desperately for the surface. The last of the breath she had was used pushing away from the Orc and she couldn't tell how far she had sunk. Her lungs were burning, eyes stinging with tears as she quietly apologized to her family for being so dumb. She inhaled water into her lungs and they started spaseming, trying to draw air. Alexis could feel the pressure lessening in her ears as she kicked with a strength she had thought was gone. Her head broke the surface of the lake and drew in great gulps og air between coughs, tears coursings down her cheeks. She instinctively swam for short, struggling to remain conscious. Blinking water from her eyes, she tried to make outt who was on the shore, but all she saw were white auras. Oh Gods, I'm dying. Her stamina gave out as she felt sure hands grab her in the shallow water.



* * *


AN: What'da ya think? Good, huh? *sheepish grin*