Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Fairy Dust Dreams ❯ The Dream ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
CHAPTER ONE~
 
I awoke one morning to the sound of my little cousins running about downstairs; every one seemed to in some sort of uproar. I turned over on my side, and tried to focus my tired eyes on the small clock sitting close by. I stared at it for some time not believing what it was telling me.
6:30! I thought, slowly bringing my hand up to rub my tired eyes, sure enough it was 6:30. I closed my eyes and groaned. It had been something of a party that night and my cousins and I had stayed up till 5am watching all three extended versions to Lord of the Rings so you can imagine my excitement at such an early “rise and shine.” I was not all that thrilled.
 
I groaned again only much louder trying to get across to those running about crazily downstairs that I didn't much like the noise.
Instead of it getting quieter downstairs, I heard some movement in the two beds beside mine. It made me feel better some how, knowing my cousins, Sami and Nicky, weren't getting any more sleep than me.
 
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not normally some sort of jerk who takes pleasure in others suffering with me but like I was saying I was not all to thrilled and to top it off I had a really bad tummy ache. Most likely thanks to all the really strong coffee and tons of the chocolate we took to keep ourselves awake. I thought suddenly of my other cousin, Shannon, who was sleeping nice and soundly in her nice little undisturbed house.
 
I was immediately jealous.
 
Just then I heard someone downstairs yell “MERRYCHRISTMAS!” And my eyes nearly popped out of my skull. I had completely forgotten it was Christmas morning! Seemingly wide-awake now I slowly sat up.
 
Just as I had thought Sami and Nicky were also sitting up in bed, both yawing and rubbing their eyes.
They looked just as confused to hear someone yell season greetings as I did but they soon recovered and jumped out of bed all smiles. I guess not all people need to sleep.
They headed downstairs mumbling something about presents and the big feast that awaited them. At the mention of food my stomach turned over and I felt like I might just throw up all over the bed.
 
I slowly got out from under the covers and was beginning to fell a little bit better. I reached the steep looking stairs next and looked down with a frown, suddenly wishing I could just skip the Christmas breakfast! Non-the-less, I didn't regret staying up all night watching my hero Legolas!
 
Shannon and I had eaten too much chocolate and in all had devoured way too much caffeine and had spent most of the fun filled night on a sugar high. And as the other girls slept we talked and giggled at everything. It got so bad that we had actually picked a character to be and would mimic them as they talked! What could we say… we were both die-hard fans of that adorable elf!
 
So here I was on my way downstairs trying my best to look healthy because I didn't want to hear any scolding about staying up to late and blah blah, so putting on my brave face I headed on down.
 
Everyone greeted me with smiles, even Shannon was there sitting at the table. How come everyone is fine and I'm not! I thought with a frown.
 
“Hey, Drea!” my Aunt Sharon said all smiles, “come sit down, we are getting ready to start!”
I shook my head in defeat, there would be no getting around it, “I think I'm just gona sleep on the couch while you guys eat…” I stated, “not feeling so great.” I clutched my tummy in dismay.
I was faced with frowns now, as I knew my company would be sorely missed
 
I fell fast asleep on the couch and it seemed only mere seconds had passed and I had someone shaking me awake.
 
“We are going to open presents now,” said Sami and I groggily sat up. The whole family gathered around causing me to be squished between tons of little cousins, the littlest of these, Millie Joe, passed out all the presents.
 
From Shannon I got a big coffee cup, and her “nerd bear” - which she had gotten the other day from the neighbors as her Christmas present and it was at that point that I had fallen deeply in love with it, and she knew it. I might add that this little blurp is a something I was sworn to never tell and am now breaking for your sake as it makes me laugh when I think about it… its been years now anyways and I'm sure no one involved even remembers this incident!
 
Next gift to grace my lap was from my dear Aunt Sharon.
“I hope you like girly things!” she said smiling.
I thanked her and promptly opened the cute little bag. I found what one would expect in a “girly” bag, which were some cute soaps and shampoos, some little hair trinkets, an adorable set of toe rings, nail polish and glitter. But it was the little sack of Fairy Dust that caught my eye.
 
“Oh, how cute!” I said holding it up to better look at it and noticed it had an adjoined bottle of Bubbles to match.
 
“You pour the Fairy Dust into the bubbles,” my aunt said, “and then you can blow little Fairy bubbles!”
 
I smiled as I looked at the little pink bottle, and then Shannon came and sat down beside me.
 
“Hey,” she said taking the bottle from my hands, “maybe when you blow a bubble you will turn into a fairy and meet Legolas!”
 
I just laughed and thanked my aunt again and so ended our little family Christmas morning.
The rest of the day was as normal as any other, usually consisting of swimming, eating, and watching favorite TV shows, and as night came around again, we- Sami, Nicky and I - all went trotting back to our room upstairs.
 
I tossed and turned in bed for some time, sleep not wanting to come. I was exhausted but my brain seemed to be going over everything in my head! Finally I jumped out of bed and pulled back on my jeans and black tang top and then went out onto the balcony to feel some fresh air on my face. The moon was shining brightly and the stars were clearly gleaming, it was really beautiful! I felt something in my pocket and pulled it out. It was my Fairy Dust and the bubbles!
Why not, I thought and so began to pour the Fairy Dust in the bubbles. I shook it around and blew a big bubble. I watched it float up into the night sky my eyes following it all the way.
 
Then it popped, and suddenly just like that, I was no longer on the balcony, but standing by a big river! I looked around not believing what just happened. It was still dark and I found I was looking at the same moon and stars I had been looking at before.
There were trees all around and a frightening cold breeze was blowing. I rubbed my eyes and looked again.
 
“I got to be dreaming!” I said when nothing around me changed. I suddenly remembered what Shannon had said about the Fairy Dust, and me turning into a Fairy, and meeting Legolas. I quickly turned my head, and reached back to feel my back. I was relieved and maybe a little disappointed to know I didn't have Fairy wings. I looked down and was happy I still had my jeans and shirt on, and not some fancy little Fairy dress!
 
Not knowing what else to do I headed down river. I walked for some time, maybe five minuets, till I came to a group of people all curled up and fast a sleep, all except one who was sitting up with his head cocked to one side, and snoring. I walked up slowly, not sure if I should trust a group of guys out in the middle of nowhere.
As I got closer I noticed something strange about the group, five of the people were really short! I looked closer and almost fainted. It was the Company from the Lord of the Rings! I really was dreaming!
 
I rubbed my eyes again as I walked over to each one, first looking at Pippin who was the one suppose to be on watch, and who had fallen asleep. Why they ever had him be on watch was beyond me! Next I came to Merry, then Sam, and then Aragorn. They are all so much cuter in real life, I thought smiling, or in dream life. I corrected myself. I then looked at Boromir, Gimli and then I came to Legolas! I stared at him for some time, not believing how absolutely handsome he was! I was so caught up in drooling over him, that I didn't notice someone had woken, and before I knew it I felt a razor sharp knife against my throat!
“Don't move!” I heard him say, and I knew right away who it was.
“Frodo?” I whispered trying my best to turn with his blade against my throat.
“How do you know my name?” he said.
“Uhhh…” I said very intelligent like. “Look Frodo, I know a lot about all of you. Umm, can't you put your sword down, and I will tell you anything you want to know.”
I guess our conversation was just a little to loud for the elf, cause he jumped up just then, his bow and arrow zipped out and aimed for my head. Aragorn also was up his long sword drawn. Boromir was getting sleepily to his feet, Gimli was still sleeping, and the hobbits were now groggily sitting up. I swallowed hard; this was not going how I had hoped!
“Who are you?” I heard Frodo say.
“Uhhh…” there was my intelligent word again.
“What are you doing here?” Aragorn said.
“Look, Aragorn,” I said turning to him slightly, thinking I could maybe get across to him better, “I am not here to hurt anyone, or turn you all over to the… Umm… Dark Lord.”
“How do you know my name?” he said suddenly.
I frowned, “Well I know all of your names, I know that is Pippin,” I said slowly bringing my hand up to point at him, “and that is Merry. That is Sam that is Gimli, and that is Boromir, and this is Legolas.” I then slowly pointed to Frodo, afraid to make to much movement with his blade still against my throat, “And this is Frodo. Are you all happy now? Can you put down your weapons! I mean come on, do I look like I could take you all on!” I looked around the company again, and realized something, or should I say someone, was missing, “Hey!” I said searching around again, “Where is Gandalf?” This seemed to get all of them.
“How do you know who Gandalf is?” Gimli said now awake and sitting up. “Uhhh…” I said a little taken back. Though I quickly recovered, “Umm, well…”
They were all looking at me strangely; I couldn't come up with anything of how I knew Gandalf! I was beginning to wish I were quicker on my feet.
“How do you know Gandalf?” this time it was Legolas's voice I heard. And I turned to him. He still had his bow and arrow on me; in fact it seemed everyone still had some sort of weapon on me!
“She is a spy of Saruman!” Gimli said now standing on his stout little legs. I frowned at him.
“I am not a spy!” I exclaimed, “I can't explain how I got here, but…” an idea suddenly formed in my head and I smiled, “I do know Gandalf, he is uhhh, a friend of the family, and well he told us he was going to leave, and so… I uhhh, came after him.”
“Why would you do that?” Frodo said, his eyes untrusting.
I looked at him, “Well, he told me something bad was going to happen, something that would affect all of Middle Earth. I asked him what was going to happen, and well he would not answer. I was curious and well wanted some adventure, so I came after him…”
I could tell Frodo didn't believe me, and hoped he would not express his thoughts. Aragorn seemed to be evaluating me, and I suddenly felt like I wanted to go and hide, it was like his deep blue eyes were boring into my soul!
“That does not explain how you know each of our names,” Frodo said.
I hadn't thought of that, “Uhhh,” I said, “Well like I said, Gandalf is my friend, and he told me stories of all of you…” I paused and looked around, “That is how I know all your names,” I finished rather lamely.
“Then it would greave you to know he is dead,” Frodo said.
I was expecting this, and so played the part quite well I thought, “Dead!” I said trying my best to look completely at a loss, “Dead!” I said again, “But how!” I was quite surprised for I had managed to make myself cry, which fit just right. Everyone, I could tell, was beginning to fell a little sorry for me. Something I thought I needed!
Aragorn's eyes were unwavering for quite some time, and then suddenly he placed his sword back in its sheath.
“That story I am afraid is too long to tell of now,” He said quietly, “Put away your weapons,” he said waving around his hand at the rest, “I don't think she is any trouble at the moment,” his eyes were suddenly on me again, “though I don't think she tells all that is true.” His eyes passed over me, and then fell on Legolas.
“Legolas,” he said but that was all I could understand, cause the rest that came out of his mouth was in Elvin. I sat down slowly not liking having everyone's eyes on me. My tears of grief were now beginning to dry, but I knew my face was still red; I smiled at them shyly and hugged my arms around my knees, realizing just then, that I was in jeans and a tang top! Something Middle Earth people, I was sure, didn't wear! No wonder they are all staring at me! I thought.
Pippin walked over to me, eating some Elvin bread; he looked at me and frowned, “You are a friend of Gandalf?” he stated more than asked, and I nodded, “And where are you from? You most certainly aren't an elf!”
“Pippin! Get away from there!” Frodo yelled at him, and I frowned. I was enjoying Pippin's company even if his questions where a little troublesome, but it got me thinking. I was sure someone else would ask me where I was from, and why I was wearing such weird clothes. So I began to think, and it was a good thing I did cause it wasn't long and Aragorn was looking at me again!
“Get up,” He said and so I got up, “Come with me.” And so I followed him off some distance feeling very much like a prisoner. I passed Legolas who was watching my every move, his eyes narrowed and untrusting. I frowned. This is supposed to be my dream! So why is Legolas glaring at me! I thought.
Once we were out of hearing range from all, except the elf, Aragorn began to grill me.
“First, what is your name?” He said.
I wrung my hands, “Um… Drea,” I answered.
He frowned, “Drea?” he then searched my face, “How old are you?”
I thought about this question, suddenly feeling very young. I didn't want to tell him I was 17, not with Legolas listening in on our conversation, I knew I would sound and seem even more childish to him, after all he was what? 3000 or maybe even 4000 years old! But what could I do? I couldn't lie, of course, and even if I was, what age would I give that would seem even remotely close to 4000 years old, I mean I was just a mortal after all!
“I'm 17,” I said straitening my shoulders, which sadly enough made me seem even younger, I was glad, though, for at that moment Legolas wasn't watching!
“17, alright, now tell me where you are from.”
I was really happy I had thought these questions through, and was able to answer him quickly. “I'm from Rohan,” I answered with a smile.
He looked me over and frowned, I was rubbing my upper arm with my hand trying to take away the chill. “And what is this you are wearing? Rohan maidens wear nothing of this sort!”
I looked down at myself, and also realized I had no sort of shoes on my feet. I wondered suddenly if women in Middle Earth were allowed to show their feet, but my thoughts quickly went elsewhere. Aragorn was asking me something again.
“What part of Rohan are you from,” he said, “surely you are not from the city?”
“Uh, no,” I said “I'm not from Edoras. I'm from one of the villages out in the outskirts,” I ended rather lamely.
“And how is it Gandalf came to befriend your family?” he said now looking me strait in the eyes. I quickly came to realize my mind seemed to go blank when he looked me directly in the eyes so I turned my vision from him to the elf.
“Well,” I started out, “you know Gandalf, he is always traveling around…”
Legolas suddenly looked over to where we stood talking, “Aragorn!” he said urgently, “Frodo! He is gone!”
Aragorn was by him in a second, seeming to forget I even existed, “What!” I said following after him, “He is gone… already!”
Aragorn looked at me suddenly, “What do you mean!”
I quickly placed my hands over my mouth. I guess he hadn't completely forgotten me!
“Boromir is gone also!” Sam said running up to Aragorn, “Strider, what are we going to do?”
Merry and Pippin, I noticed just as in the movie, went running off into the woods yelling out Frodo's name in their high squeaky hobbit voices. Aragorn scowled. Just then Boromir came out from the woods looking very forlorn for reason only I knew.
“Where have you been!” Aragorn said quite harshly.
“I was just out in the woods,” He said.
Not quite a lie, I thought.
“Never mind,” Aragorn said now annoyed, “Follow Merry and Pippin; with all the noise they are making they are going to call any Ork within five miles!”
Boromir quickly did as he was told chasing after the two half-lings. Aragorn ran off in search of Frodo with Sam trailing close behind, while Gimli and Legolas followed Boromir. I stood there by the river completely alone, though I knew it wouldn't be for long.
 
I was seated on one of the boats prow while holding the ropes to the other two. The sun was now slowly rising and there was a thick, scary fog sitting on the riverbank, I shivered hoping I didn't have to wait long.
“What are you doing?” I heard Frodo say, and I almost fell in the river. I realized then I couldn't see him. I thought suddenly that this was not what happened in the movie, but then also realized he did have the ring on at this part in the book.
“Frodo?” I said looking around for I was really at a loss for where he was. Suddenly he appeared not more than two feet away from me, and I gasped almost slipping off the boats prow. “Oh, there you are.” I said slowly trying to catch my breath.
Frodo frowned, “I suppose Gandalf told you also about the magic ring!” he said rather harshly.
This time I frowned, “No actually he never did mention a ring, but I suppose that is how you did that little trick.” I said waving my arm around where he stood. “Look Frodo, I don't mean you or any of your companions any harm. I know you are going to leave, and I don't mean to stop you.” I stood then and handed him the rope to one of the boats, “But I would like to warn you,” I said.
“And what warning would you give me?” he said his voice maybe a little softer.
I looked around and then bent to whisper close to his face, “Don't trust anything other than your most faithful companion,” I said.
Frodo looked confused, but just then Sam's voice was heard calling out…
 
“Mr. Frodo! Mr. Frodo, don't leave without your Sam!”