Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Happy Easter Legolas ❯ An Early Start ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Happy Easter Legolas

By Miranda

Summary: Little Legolas can't wait for Easter to arrive and is extremely enthusiastic in all the catering for the event but when three mysterious Noldor elves turn up within Mirkwood's borders, it all spells trouble for the special event Legolas is desperately looking forward too. Pushed to the sidelines, Legolas watches miserably as the events unfold and Easter begins to look even more like not happening at all.

Author's Note: Been Easter and all today I decided I just might write out a little tale that came to my head last night. I haven't actually posted any other of my stories yet but they are in the making and when I finally do put them out I'm just letting you all know that this story has nothing to do with them. This story is just a cute little tale I came up with. By the way, I have no idea if Easter takes place in Middle Earth but I'm pretty sure it doesn't because the people of Middle Earth believe in the Valar and not Christ. However, for the purpose of this story, I've made it Easter in Middle Earth.

Ada is the elfish term for father and is used all through out this tale. If there are any more words then I'll let you guys know as we move along.

Disclaimer: None of these characters belong to me; they are all the property of J.R.R. Tolkin and have merely been stolen momentarily to create a story for you guys to read.

**************************************************************** ********************************************

Chapter 1

An Early Start

`Ada! Ada!' An excited little voice suddenly blasted through Thranduil's sleep fogged mind. Thranduil jack-knifed awake and glanced around for the source of the noise. Seeing a tiny little figure standing in the doorway to his bedroom, the elf let out a groan and collapsed back onto his bed. `Go away Legolas,' he grumbled as he pulled the pillow over his head in an attempt to block out his son's voice.

`Ada,' said Legolas indignantly. He raced into the room and leapt onto his father's bed. `Ada, get up,' demanded the small elfling. `No,' came Thranduil's voice from beneath the pillows. `But you promised,' whined Legolas and poked his father hard in the ribs. The older elf let out a cry, Legolas' face instantly changed to a look of surprise and then suddenly a look of realization. He grinned slyly and began to poke his father continuously in the ribs. Thranduil tried to ignore his son but couldn't stop the tiny little gasps of laughter that poured forth from his lips.

Legolas pressed his advantage and poked even harder and faster. `Alright!' cried Thranduil and threw back the covers. Scoping his son up, he proceeded to tickle him mercilessly as Legolas had done only moments before. The elfling shrieked loudly until Thranduil at last set him down in a panting heap.

Legolas grinned up at his father. `Satisfied?' demanded the elf and pretended to look very irritated by placing his hands on his hips. Legolas nodded happily, his long white-blond hair bouncing about his head. Thranduil looked at his son; Legolas' hair had come lose in their scuffle and he was yet again wearing his elder brother's old tunic. All in all, Thranduil summarized that Legolas looked more like a scruffy 10 year old human child then a well-behaved elfling. He hardly went anywhere without Mintaril's tunic these days. The elder brother had given it to Legolas last autumn because the young elfling continued to destroy all his own clothes by playing outdoors in all the mud.

`So what did I promise you?' asked Thranduil as he turned and begun to look for his slippers and robe. `You know,' said Legolas getting up and brushing himself off. `Do I?' replied Thranduil and smiled triumphantly as he found his robe on the floor under his desk. Now where did I put those slippers? he wondered. `You promised we'd go out hunting for the Easter Feast today,' said Legolas indignantly. Thranduil smiled to himself, he did know they were going hunting today but he liked to tease Legolas occasionally by pretending to forget things. `Aye, I did. Blast it all! Where are those slippers?' said Thranduil as his search under the bed revealed no sign of his slippers. `Looking for these,' said Legolas dryly. `Are, thank you Legolas.' The elf took his slippers from his son and placed them on his feet. Legolas just smiled sweetly and almost annoyingly added Thranduil to himself. He'd almost certainly been hiding them the entire time Thranduil had been looking for them.

`Alright, what say you to a little breakfast before getting an early start?' `Aye!' said Legolas and saluted, pretending that his father was a mean pirate captain and he was the first mate. The two elves made their way downstairs and towards the servants kitchens in the east of the palace.

* * *

They arrived to discover the morning's activities in full swing. Elves bustled left and right carrying various items or yelling orders at one another. `Morning King Thranduil and Prince Legolas,' said a tall, auburn haired elf in charge of the kitchens. `Morning Armerrol,' responded Thranduil politely.

It had taken a long time for the palace staff to get used to the King of Greenwood and his son coming down to the servant's kitchens. King Thranduil had found that he always enjoyed coming down here when his children were still young; the curious looks and explorations never ceased to amaze him and he always enjoyed watching the youngsters unravel the kitchens secrets. However, once they got a little older he stopped bringing them down and started to take them to the royal dining room instead and teach them the table manners they would require once they grew up. Thranduil had three children in all. Mintaril was the eldest and was currently down in Rohan picking up a few horse riding techniques. He was of course, disguised. No elf had been sighted in Rohan for the past thousand years. Little did they know that at least five hundred elves from Greenwood were there currently. Elves were excellent riders but the people of Rohan were considered the best amongst humans and could teach elves quite a few handy tricks. Mintaril was long over due in Rohan and had put the journey off for the last nine hundred years.

Herlene was Thranduil's middle child and a fine beauty at that. Thranduil was immensely proud of all his children; they were all beautiful, sharp but kind and merry. However, all three inherited his quick temper save perhaps Legolas whose was quick to show his opponent that he was right rather then yell about it. Still, Herlene sadly, was in Valinor with his belovered wife, Lantel. He missed them both dearly and his heart ached at the thought of it but he quickly brushed these emotions aside. He still had Legolas after all and Mintaril even if he was all the way over in Rohan. He would not allow himself to be depressed today when Legolas was so looking forward to having a good day with him.

`Come on Legolas,' called Thranduil. The prince had drifted away while his father was lost deep in thought. Legolas hurried over quickly at his father's call and helped Thranduil select a meal for them for lunch today and a few snacks. Father and son then selected some apples, three for Thranduil and two for Legolas. They would do for breakfast thought Thranduil as he and Legolas made their way out the back and round the side of the palace to the stables.

Thranduil decided he would ride Raven today. He was a tall, dark stallion hence, the name Raven after the colour. Legolas selected a small, chestnut pony named Brownie. Thranduil smiled, Legolas was again set apart form his family since he was the only one with any sense. Thranduil knew he, his wife and his two elder children would choose a horse rather then a pony at Legolas' age and then whine about it when they weren't allowed to ride it. Legolas had selected a pony because he saw the sense in that he would not be able to control a horse properly because of how little he was or perhaps the sense that Thranduil would lecture him if he tried to select a horse. Either way, he had sense.

Once they were saddled the two rode out and instead of going to the front gate, they rode to a small side gate, which Thranduil's horse could only just fit through. Once out they collected their hunting gear from a small bush Thranduil had left them hidden in the day before. Thranduil smiled to himself, the palace guards would become frantic when they realized he was missing. Thranduil, as a rule, was a bit of a rebel and hated the escort of guards he normally had to take with him when he and Legolas went outside the palace walls. As a result, Thranduil had snuck out on more then one occasion. Guards were placed on his old escape routes so Thranduil was forced to find new ones every time but the guards were beginning to stretch themselves too thinly and could not cover all the escape routes. As a result, Thranduil was finding that it was actually getting easier and easier to slip past them.