Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Happy Easter Legolas ❯ Reunited at Last ( Chapter 13 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 13

Reunited at Last

Glorfindel worked quickly to help his injured friend as he removed the arrow and then hurriedly stanched the bleed with his outer tunic. Once done he sent Thranduil off in search of some Kingswood and busied himself tearing up Thranduil's cloak.

Thranduil returned quickly with the plant Glorfindel needed. Popping a few leaves into his mouth, Glorfindel chewed hurriedly and then removed the paste and placed in on the wound before binding it quickly and firmly. Elrond did not stir the entire time and Legolas simply sat quietly, watching in fascination as Glorfindel worked.

Once done, Glorfindel sheathed his sword that had lain forgotten for some time, not even bothering to clean it as he scooped up the brown haired Noldor.

Thranduil at last let his adrenalin wear off and with a relieved sigh, scooped Legolas up into his arms and hugged him furiously, his tears mingling with the rain and dripping down into his son's hair. Legolas responded to the hug and refused to let go for some time. This was what Thranduil had been waiting for; the final moment where he and Legolas would at last be reunited. Thranduil felt a great weight lift from his shoulders but though it had been some weeks since he'd broken his arm, the muscles were still weak and he eventually and rather reluctantly, had to put Legolas down. The elfling protested but when it became clear he wouldn't win, he simply clung to his father's hand and wouldn't let go instead.

Glorfindel watched the exchange between father and son silently, his heart at least at peace. Deciding that it was time to leave however, Glorfindel cleared his throat. Thranduil glanced up and smiled warmly at the golden haired warrior. `Hannon le,' he said simply and it was all that was needed.

Glorfindel smiled in return. `I am just grateful that you could find the courage in your heart to trust us.' Thranduil nodded his acceptance then turned and led the small party back to their horses.

* * *

Three long and happy weeks had passed since Glorfindel had returned carrying an unconscious Elrond with him and Thranduil with Legolas firmly at his side. During that time, Erestor had insisted Elrond had remained in bed. The elven lord was none to pleased and had extracted his revenge by saying that since he wasn't allowed out of bed then he was much too sick to do any of his paperwork. Erestor had had to do it instead and though he grumbled about it, there was little he could do.

Celebrian started as the door suddenly crashed open, three excited and laughing elflings rushed past in a blur of brown, blue, green and gold. Behind them came a furious Glorfindel without his tunic and some sort of sticky paste smeared across his powerful chest. He barely even noticed Celebrian as he continued after the elflings.

After the Lady of Imladris recovered from her initial shock, she burst out laughing. Legolas and the twins had been forbidden to play pranks on Erestor due to his extra workload so they had obviously taken to playing tricks on Glorfindel instead. However, none had worked thus far so why did this one then? Celebrian suspected some outside force but she was left puzzling as to who it could be.

* * *

Glorfindel returned an hour later, a look of smug satisfaction on his face. He settled himself comfortably in a chair across from Celebrian and idly started to pull his hair back into their usual braids, not at all fazed that he was still without a shirt in front of the Lady of Imladris. Celebrian was unfazed either for she knew Glorfindel well and had seen him many times without a shirt before so it was nothing new to her.

She considered returning to her book but curiosity got the better of her. `I hope you did nothing to drastic to them,' said Celebrian. `No I didn't,' said Glorfindel with a chuckle. `I merely tickled them until they were blue in the face and then let them go. They were still racing from me last time I looked, squealing with laughter.'

He sighed forlornly though and the mirth disappeared from his eyes. `Tis a shame that Legolas and Thranduil must leave tomorrow,' he said sadly. Celebrian sighed and set down her book. `Yes it is sad but you know that Greenwood is without a ruler at the moment and Thranduil's people will be scouring the surrounding country side looking for him.'

Glorfindel nodded but was distracted from continuing when Elrond suddenly entered the room dressed in a dull grey robe, which hung open at the front revealing an old pair of black leggings and a faded light blue tunic. `Don't say a word and I won't,' said Elrond with a huge scowl at his wife and Glorfindel in particular. He snatched up an apple from the fruit bowl in the centre of the table and began to eat ravenously.

`Did I say anything,' said Glorfindel raising his hands as Celebrian rolled his eyes. Honestly, if she didn't know Glorfindel and her husband so well, she would have sworn they were her own children's elder brothers.

Elrond caught Celebrian's look and his scowl deepened. `Well you'd crave anything too if you'd been fed on chicken soup for the past three weeks,' said Elrond around a mouthful of apple. `Of course dear,' said Celebrian rolling her eyes a second time.

* * *

The rest of the day passed uneventfully and that night, Elrond held a feast in honour of Thranduil. The feast however, was a little out of the ordinary as it included other delicacies, which were normally had at only one time of year, Easter. Chocolate was piled high everywhere in vast bowls and platters upon the huge feasting table. The guests talked for hours as elflings scuttled beneath their feet, arms loaded with as much chocolate as possible, which they carried off to store away.

Legolas and the twins however, had collected the largest amount but it was all for Legolas. The twins knew that there would still be a lot of chocolate left tomorrow and for the next few weeks so they'd snaffle it up later.

While the twins chatted animatedly however, Legolas brooded over the return trip he'd have to take the next day but also another matter. Eventually he got up the courage and left the twins to approach Lord Elrond, Glorfindel and Erestor.

Erestor and Elrond appeared to be in the middle of a huge yet quiet argument so as not to disturb the guests and Glorfindel was glancing in amusement between the two of them. `Excuse me my Lord,' said Legolas politely to Elrond as he interrupted his argument. Elrond broke off in surprise and stared down at Legolas whom he hadn't seen approach.

`What is it young one?' asked Elrond kneeling down in front of him. `I just wanted to thank you for the feast tonight. I know it's not Easter and all and it must have been an awful big effort to set this all up and make all the chocolate.' Legolas flushed and nervously twisted the hem of his tunic in embarrassment.

`Aye, Legolas is right,' said another voice. Elrond glanced up into identical blue eyes, the same as the ones he'd been looking at only a moment ago. `Thank you,' said Thranduil. `It was my pleasure,' said Elrond smiling warmly. He gave Legolas a quick hug knowing how grateful the youngster was and yet embarrassed to express his gratitude. Pleased that Elrond knew exactly how much it meant to him, he took his leave and headed back to the twins.

The rest of the night passed uneventfully and by the time the early hours of the morning arrived, the Hall of Fire in which the feast had taken place was silent and the occupants of the House of Elrond slept peacefully.

* * *

All too soon it was time to leave and Elrond, Celebrian, the twins, Glorfindel and Erestor stood out on the courtyard to bid farewell to the two Sindarian elves.

Thranduil mounted his horse slowly, almost reluctantly and pulled Legolas up in front of him. The King of Greenwood had insisted on having no escort to take him back to his home and had also refused to allow Glorfindel to come with him, saying that he didn't need protecting. Elrond well understood that Thranduil was simply too proud but allowed the younger elf to have his way.

Each in turn said goodbye, Celebrian, the twins and Legolas certainly a little teary. `We will meet again, won't we?' Legolas asked Glorfindel. Legolas had come to admired and respect Glorfindel much since he had met him and only hoped that he grew up to be just like him and his Ada. `We will,' assured Glorfindel with an encouraging smile.

Elrond came next and last of all. Thranduil smiled. `Well I am glad that you did what you did,' he said. `Else I may never have understood. I think I understand now what you meant by taking my life because Legolas is my life and without him, there could be no life for me.'

Elrond smiled impishly. `Yes, it wasn't what I wanted to do but it's not like I had a choice. I'm just glad everything turned out alright,' he answered. `One more thing,' said Thranduil. `You never answered my question, what on Arda did you think you were doing that night you very nearly tossed away your life for me?'

Elrond's smile broadened. `You are a good person Thranduil; even though we didn't get on I knew it was the right thing to do then. That's what friends are for.' `After all I had done and said to you?!' asked Thranduil incredulously. Elrond laughed. `Yes, after all you had done and said.'

The two elves smiled at one another and clasped hands warmly. Then, Thranduil turned and waved goodbye before nudging Rusty into a trot and heading off out the gates of Rivendell and towards the High Pass.

Thranduil and Legolas knew they would meet with the elves of Rivendell again and that the old alliance between Rivendell and Greenwood had been firmly restored. Until then however, well who knew? Only time would tell.

The End