Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Immortal Flame ❯ Chapter 8: The Long Road ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: The Long Road
Outside in the small cabins kitchen, Takeru sat pondering over the recent events. In the span of only a few short weeks, it seemed that all their preparation had been for nothing. The enemy had crushed several large cities. A shudder coursed through him, realizing the attacks were world wide. He only hoped that other countries were faring better than Japan.
“Takeru.”
Turning his head, Takeru found the small form of Shinobu standing in the doorway. He let a small smile grace his features, “What's wrong, Shinobu?”
The young girl fidgeted nervously, “I just wanted to ask you a question.”
Shifting in his chair, Takeru motioned for her to a chair, “Have a seat and ask away.”
Quietly, she crossed the room to settle in the chair. She clasped her hands in her lap and began twiddling her thumbs. Her voice came low and almost in a whisper, “I was just wondering… That is, could you…”
Takeru smiled at her nervousness, “Who my guardian was?”
Shinobu nodded her head slightly. Leaning back I his chair, Takeru closed his eyes, “It was someone you know, Shinobu. In fact all of you girls know her.”
Shinobu perked up, “We do?”
A small node from him confirmed what he had just said. Shinobu leaned closer and whispered, “Who is it?”
Takeru chuckled and brushed a stray lock of hair from her face, “In due time, you'll find out.”
As if on cue, the robed woman came around the corner, “Oh, Takeru. I thought you had gone to sleep. Everything alright?”
Takeru smiled at the elderly lady, “Yes. Just couldn't sleep is all.”
The old woman then looked over at Shinobu, “Deary, you should be in bed. We're leaving in the morning and you need your rest.”
Shinobu bowed her head, “I know. I had a question for Takeru is all.”
The woman smiled under her wrappings, “Well I'm sure it can wait till morning. Come on and let's get you to bed.”
Reluctantly, Shinobu stood and followed the older woman out of the room. Takeru watched as her form faded from sight. His attention returned to the falling snow outside the window, all the while hoping innocence like Shinobu's would survive the coming trials. He took in a deep breath and prayed that innocence wouldn't be the first casualty of war.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
The next morning found them all up and ready to move on. Having been provided warmer clothes and more provisions, they all began to realize that there would be no stopping until the reached their destination.
Takeru looked over the small group, now including the disguised Hina among their numbers. He hoped that they would be able to make it to Kyoto without much problems or obstacles. But hope these days was running in short supply.
Wrapping a long scarf around his head, Takeru ran through the list of supplies in his head. Only a few weeks' provisions and some extra clothing were all they could carry. Everyone split up the weight, but it still would be a long road. Standing up from his pack, he frowned, “Listen up. We have to make it to Kyoto before anything else happens. We aren't stopping until we get there.”
The girls all began to nod, having understood that this would be the hardest part of their journey thus far. Takeru looked around the girls one last time before he headed for the door. Opening it up, he was greeted with the icy winds that had accompanied the storm last night. Pushing out into the cold, he began to lead the small band north over the mountains.
For the next several days, the journey went unhindered through the mountains and foothills. Every now and then they would have to hide and duck around patrols of demons, but nothing ever came of their presence to hinder them. It wasn't until they were back into the lowlands did they begin to have difficulty finding a safe route.
Grimacing, Takeru lowered himself back down behind the low stone wall that had been damaged in a recent attack. In the night, they had managed to slip past several patrols, each passing more closely than the last. However, they had remained hidden from their sight. They managed to set up a small camp in an abandoned building several miles out from the nearest town. During the early morning hours, he had decided to investigate to see how far the demons armies had reached and had been startled when he had happened across the base camp of a large force.
Suppressing his presence even further, Takeru began to pick his way back to the small building. Remaining alert, he cautiously moved from cover to cover. In his scouting he had noticed a large gulley that ran through the town, but it was only worth risking the trip at night. Frowning at the thought, he had looked for another way around the army, but had still only found the one way through.
An hour passed before he was far enough away to not be seen. Sprinting back to the others, he hoped that he would find them still in good health.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Shinobu sat alongside Motoko, watching through the window cautiously. She knew they had come close to several patrols last night, but she longed to be out in the open again. She missed the freedom of playing out in the fresh air. Crinkling her nose, she frowned at the acrid smell of charred remains and rubble littering the ground not far from their hiding place. A light shiver crawled up her spine, “When is Takeru coming back?”
Motoko shook her head, “No clue, Shinobu. I had hoped he would be back by now.”
Shinobu shifted slightly, easing her legs out in front of her. She looked over her shoulders at the others, aware that the tension around her was high. Everyone had been hit hard by this, but none more so than Naru. In the very first attack, Keitaro had left to defend Hinata. No one had seen or heard from him since. The only thing that kept her going was the promise that they had made.
A small sigh escaped her lips as she thought of their heartfelt words before his departure. Shinobu, allowing a single tear to course down her face, wished that somewhere and someday that she would have someone willing to do what Keitaro was for Naru for her.
The sound of a light cry of a bird sounded nearby. Shinobu sat up instantly, knowing the sound that Takeru had used to signal that a nearby patrol was passing. Motoko sat rigidly, holding her bokken nearby. Though she may not be able to do any real damage with the sword itself, she could still use her abilities through it. Several intense moments passed by as they all waited in their hiding spots. A large piece of concrete blocked the entrance to the small area they hid in. However, they had found another way in through a small crawl space one had to look for in order to find.
Motoko stood silently and carefully moved to the entrance of the crawl space. Standing over it, she readied her sword. Unable to feel anyone's or anything's auras, she prepared to fend off an attack. It wasn't until Takeru's head popped into view that she relaxed. Gently, she pulled him through and to his feet.
Takeru, wiping a bead of sweat off his brow, smiled, “Thanks.”
A small bit of hope crossed her face, “Can we get through to the north side of town?”
A heavy frown fixed itself on Takeru's face, “There's a large army based in the town remnants. I didn't see a way around them.”
Motoko's hopes fell, “So we're stuck here.”
The frown on Takeru's face deepened slightly. Bringing her face close to his, he whispered, “I didn't say there wasn't a way through them.”
Keeping her voice low, Motoko looked at the young Phoenix, “What do you mean?”
Letting his eyes drift around the group, Takeru kept his voice low, “There's a large gulley that runs through the town. From what I can tell, it runs past their northern perimeter, but it's much too dangerous. It passes right through the middle of their army.”
Motoko hesitantly gripped his hand, “It's the only way?”
Takeru only nodded his head, confirming her fears. Raising her eyes to look at the others, she frowned. Lowering her face, she clutched his hand tightly, “Then we must go through it.”
In an instant, Takeru gently put his hand on her face and turned her face towards his. Gazing into her pools of dark brown, he clenched his teeth, “There has to be another way. I won't put you all in danger like this.”
Silently, she cupped his hand in hers, “We all knew that this would be a long and dangerous journey. We all knew we'd have to take risks. If there is no other way than we have to take this one opportunity.”
Beginning to protest, he found her hand gently silence him with a finger. Having no other alternatives and unable to argue, Takeru relented. Raising his voice slightly so everyone heard, he kept his face turned away, “We leave at nightfall. When we do, I want you all to stick close to me and each other. If we screw this up, even the tiniest bit, we're all as good as dead.”
With silent confirmations, Takeru began to prepare himself for what could potentially be the longest night of his life.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
As dawn broke over the ridge, its first warm rays filtered in through the devastated ruins of Tokyo. Keitaro, sound asleep after his massive break down and the massacre of the enemy force, lay comfortably in a small cot near a burning fire. Across from him sat a quiet and contemplative Haruka. For the first time in nearly a decade, she had felt pure unbridled fear. Not from some nightmare or from the enemy, but from her own nephew. All the legends and myths about her family line came to reality with the birth of this one child.
Gingerly, she set a cigarette in her mouth and casually lit it. Taking a nice long drag off the small stick, she let the noxious fumes fill her lungs. Exhaling slowly, she felt her body relax, if only a small bit. Looking at Keitaro, she frowned at the memories that had only been reality a few days ago.
Another shudder ran up her spine, but not of fear or disgust. Glancing at the tent flap she saw the form of Kenji in the opening.
He bowed low, “Lady Haruka. May I enter?”
Putting out the now dwindling cigarette, she motioned for him to enter. Setting her jaw, she frowned, “How's your arm?”
Kenji carefully patted his bandaged arm, “I'll survive. Thankfully they missed everything vital.”
Haruka nodded her head and motioned to a chair on the opposite end of the fire, “Take a load off, and tell me the news.”
Following her instructions, Kenji sat, “It's rather grim. Not only has Tokyo and Hinata fallen, but Kagoshima and Sendai as well.”
A frown etched itself on her face, “Hitting the most undefended areas first. A typical strategy. Cutting off out communications and any support we may need. Smart.”
Kenji sighed heavily, “And from what we can tell, the rest of the world is tied up as well. Some countries faring better than others. But it seems everything is centered on Japan.”
Haruka nodded, “Makes sense. We're the biggest threat. We have the highest numbers of Phoenix's worldwide.”
A slight nod was all Kenji had to offer. Almost hesitantly he spoke, “there is something else.”
A sense of dread began to creep its way into Haruka's mind, “What?”
Kenji swallowed hard, “He is leading them.”
All of Haruka's hopes and wishes were torn asunder with that one small statement. A fear unlike any other filled her soul. Rocking back in her chair, her face became obscured by the low light of the tent. Her voice wavered slightly as she formed her words, “It's impossible! Kei destroyed him decades ago!”
Kenji frowned, “I know, but somehow he's back. As well as his generals.”
Standing quickly, Haruka turned from him, “If that's true then we have to destroy him, and quickly before he regains much of his old strength.”
Again Kenji spoke, hope gone from his voice, “We can't find him or any trace of him anywhere, Lady Haruka. I'm sorry.”
Turning towards the door, she quickly exited the tent. Kenji could care for her nephew. Right now she needed air. Memories and nightmares flooded her of her first meeting with him. To this day, she still cowers in fear at the memories of what happened. What he did to her.
Facing the morning light, Haruka prayed for thanks that there was an end to long, fearful nights.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
The day drug on, the constant threat of being discovered loomed over everyone's mind. In the midst of the silent preparation, a few of the group managed to rest. Watching over them was Takeru, absently thumbing the scabbard of his sword. Gently he watched the sleeping forms of Su, Shinobu, and Sarah. Their minds at peace, finding some solace in the nightmare of reality.
Quiet rustling or clothes brought his attention to Motoko. She sat closely, calmly waiting for dusk. A light tremor ran through her body as she felt Takeru's eyes on her. Her thoughts and actions always guarded, she felt as if he could see right through her. At times she found herself at war within her body. In her heart she felt the beginnings of something for him, but her mind refused to believe it.
Takeru watched her, noticing the tremor that ran through her. His voice came gently, “Motoko.”
Her heart jumped into her throat, “Yes?”
“Sorry to startle you,” Takeru responded, slightly amused at her reaction. Shifting slightly, he set his sword down against a rock, “I just wanted to know how your doing.”
Motoko sighed heavily, “All of this has been hard to come to grips with. I never in my darkest nightmares dreamed that anything like this would happen.”
He gently nodded his head, “Sometimes I wish it didn't have to be this way.”
Calmly she reached out and put a hand on his, “Do you think we'll win this war?”
Takeru frowned, “It's hard to say. There are so many things to consider.”
Motoko frowned, averting her eyes from him, “Do you think you'll live through this?”
Takeru's heart sank. He knew that one day he'd have to own up to his past, “Does it matter if I live or die?”
Her eyes rose again to meet his. Within the dark orbs swirled a conflict of emotions. Motoko's voice was low and filled with distress, “Yes, it does matter.”
A faint glimmer of despair twitched in his heart. Fearing she'd seen it, he looked away, “Motoko, I'm a damned soul. There is no redemption for me.”
He felt her hand tighten on his. Though he wanted to look at her, he feared what he would find. In a meek voice, Motoko sobbed, “That's not true and you know it. Everyone can be saved, event the most wretched among us.”
Takeru looked up, pain in his eyes, “But not for a murderer.”
Motoko's eyes widened in shock. Her mind reeled at this revelation, trying to make heads or tails of its truth. When Takeru's hand squeezed hers, she snapped out of it, “How and who…”
Takeru silenced her with another gentle squeeze and pulled his hand back, “My past is a story of bad occurrences and sin. I'd rather not talk about it.”
And with that, Takeru picked up his sword and stood. Motoko watched as he walked to the window and looked outside. His face obscured by shadows, she didn't see the tear that fell from his eye.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Hours passed in silence as dusk approached. When the light had all but faded, they began their exodus. Taking the lead, Takeru glanced up at the full moon. A frown etched itself upon his face, cursing the eerie glow.
As the moon began its ascent into the sky, the small group of refugees found themselves at the edge of the vast army.
Silently, Takeru looked between the disguised Hina and Motoko, “The gully is about ten feet from a guard station. But by now they should be well drunk. It'll be easy getting past them.”
Hina spoke, looking at the other girls hiding behind some rubble, “But it will be difficult to not notice such a group as ours.”
Takeru frowned, “I know. We'll have to go two at a time.”
Keeping her fears in check, Motoko nodded, “Who goes with whom?”
A heavy sigh escaped his mouth as he thought, “Su will go with Mutsumi. Sarah will go with Kitsune, and Naru will go with you.”
He finished, pointing to the incognito Hina. Motoko looked back at the others, looking at Shinobu. A low sob caught in her throat, “And Shinobu?”
Takeru frowned slightly, “She'll go with you, Motoko. I'll go ahead and signal when you can move up. Remember two at a time. Any more than that and we'll be caught.”
The small robed figure nodded and snuck back to tell the others. Motoko watched as Takeru began to thumb the hilt of his sword. Gently, she reached out and gripped his hand. Looking at her, he felt a sense of despair and unease creep into his mind. He looked at her as she struggled for words, “Takeru, I-I can't help feeling that this will be the last time I see you.”
Faking a smile, Takeru gripped her hand, “Don't worry. I'm not doing anything to risk everyone's lives.”
Reassured by the smile and his words, she let go, “Go on then and lead the way.”
Nodding, he began to sneak his way forward to the gully. Every so often he would stop and signal the girls behind him. The slow pace went on for nearly an hour. Soon enough, however, they came to the last piece of rubble between them and the gully.
Peeking over the low, crumbled wall, Takeru silently cursed his luck. Slumping back behind his cover, he grimaced, `Damn! Of all the nights, they rotate a ranking officer to guard duty!'
Quickly he began to run through scenarios and plans. All of his ideas all leading to one conclusion; distraction. Taking another peek over the wall, he realized it was the only option. Watching, he quickly signaled for one of the pairs to move up. To his delight, it was Hina and Naru.
As they hid behind the wall, Takeru spoke low enough for only Hina to hear. A frown etched upon his face, “A distraction is the only way.”
Hina muttered a prayer, “Then it must be done.”
“You'll have to move quickly,” Takeru said, this time loud enough for them both to hear. Naru watched in surprise as Takeru drew his sword. Time slowed as he quickly sprinted from cover to the guard station. As the guard turned, he barely registered that he was being attacked. With one fluid movement, Takeru quietly dropped both guards.
His work done, he knelt behind a stack of barrels. Looking back, he was rewarded with the sight of the girls quickly moving to the gully. Smiling, he watched as they all made it to the gully unseen. Returning to his task, he frowned, `Sorry, Motoko. I have to do this.'
Waiting a few minutes to give the others enough time, he finally stood from his hiding place. With each step, his resolve hardened. When the guards finally began shouting alarms, Takeru smiled as a voice drifted from memory.
It was like the soft cooing of a dove, but with steel will, “No one creature or person is beyond redemption, Takeru. We all stumble and fall. When it happens, we must learn to pick ourselves up and try again.”
As the voice faded and the horde of demons surged at him, Takeru smiled.
Bringing his sword up to attack, Takeru spoke, “Thanks, Mom.”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
She felt her heart pounding in her chest as her feet ran across the floor of the gully. Her hair pulled back and the blonde held tightly against her, she ran. Ran from the fear, the pain, everything that haunted her dreams. It was times like these that made her drink.
“Kitsune,” came the squeaky voice of Sarah. Her face wet with tears, she cried, “We have to help him!”
Clutching the girl closer, she ducked an overhanging pipe. Her breathing labored, she spoke in gasps, “We…can't…do…anything…for him…”
Sarah felt more tears roll down her face, “But!”
“No…buts,” came the quick response, “He can…take care of…himself!”
After the small argument, Kitsune focused on the others running ahead of her. Naru and Takeru's friend led the way, with Mutsumi and Su hot on their heels.
Risking a glance, she looked back behind her to see Motoko and Shinobu. Turning to face forward, she hardly registered that both girls had been crying.
After what felt like hours, they stopped to take a break. Running a hand through her hair, she wiped away the sweat that had begun to cling to her body. Pulling the hand back, she found the streaking of blood on her hand.
Sarah saw it and gasped, “Kitsune, your face is bleeding!”
Motoko instantly rushed over and examined the cut. Wiping a bit of the blood away, she nodded her head in satisfaction, “Just a scratch. Nothing serious.”
The robed figure quietly called out, “We need to keep moving.”
Kitsune fixed the figure with an icy glare, “We can't go any harder!”
From somewhere behind them, an unearthly cry sounded in the gully. The figure cursed under her breath, “Riders!”
Reacting quickly, she ran past them, drawing a silver blade from within her robe. Calmly she spoke, “Hide! Quickly! The less they know about you, better!”
Obeying her orders, Kitsune took Sarah and hide behind a fallen street grate. Minutes passed until the ghostly cry pierced the night air, this time much closer. Then she saw them.
Ash black fur covered their wolf like form. Black eyes with a pinpoint of red sat above a slobbering mouth filled with sharp, gruesome fangs. Nearly the size of a horse, the pair bore down quickly, their riders drooling with anticipation.
Kitsune said a small prayer as she covered Sarah's eyes. Fixated on the hellish scene about to unfold, she held her breath. Then the figure did something she hadn't expected.
Bursting forward with inhuman speed, she charged the pair of demons. Just as they were about to collide, she twisted and rolled underneath the first. Barely avoiding the snapping jaws of the first, she brought her sword up towards the second in a quick arc. The rider watched as his mounts head left its body. As the body collapsed, it pitched its occupant, slamming him into the gully wall.
The small figure turned to face the first rider again. Already the beast had begun to stalk towards her, baring its grotesque fangs. Settling into the same stance as before, she waited. As the wolf got closer, it began to tense. With a sudden explosion of power it charged. Closing the distance, it neared its goal.
Just before it struck her, she leaped. The sword flashed as she did, cutting through the mounts neck. Spinning in mid-air, the rider never felt the blade pass through his neck. Landing, she looked at the last one left, staggering to his feet.
Examining the sight before him, he drew his sword and charged. Sidestepping the wild swing, she slashed quickly through his arms and then turned the blade towards the demons body. The blade cut cleanly through the armor and flesh, dropping the rider.
Quickly scanning the area, she sheathed her sword. Calmly she moved back to the others, “Come quickly! There'll be more soon!”
As Kitsune came out of hiding, she stared wide eyed at the small woman. Her eyes couldn't believe who she saw. Meekly, she found her voice, “Grandma Hina?”
Suddenly realizing her hood had come off, she smiled slightly, “Yes it's me, though I'd hoped to keep it a secret till we reached Kyoto.”
Motoko bowed quickly, “Honorable Grandmother!”
Hina grabbed Motoko's shoulders and raised her head, “Now is neither the time nor the place for the story I have to tell. We must get moving. Kyoto is only a few days travel from here.”
A silent agreement was made as they took off again, following behind Hina. In her mind, she sent up a prayer. Hoping beyond hope that everyone would make it to Kyoto safe and sound.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
The sun and moon played their never-ending game of tag as the small group moved. Too tired to go on, but too scared to stop, they continued on. The younger girls finally fell asleep, being borne by the older girls. Scraps, bruises, dirt, stains and tears marked their bodies and clothes.
On the sunset of the fourth day from the escape in the gully, Kyoto loomed in the distance. Hina looked over the sight in front of her. Some of the outer most buildings had been destroyed or damaged, but the majority of the city itself stood. A long held breath escaped, showing her relief.
The others laughed and cried in joy as they saw the sight in front of them. Hina smiled at the girls, thanking whoever was watching them that they had made it. Naru laid a gentle hand on her shoulder, “Hina?”
Looking at the young brunette, she smiled, “Yes, dear?”
“Well,” her voice faltered from nervousness. Choking back the tears she found her voice, “Will Keitaro be here?”
The smile on Hina's face faded, “To tell the truth, I don't know.”
Naru felt her heart fall. It had only been a month since she had last seen him, but her heart ached from not seeing him or hearing his voice.
A brilliant flash of anger and rage erupted in her mind. Left dazzled by the sudden burst, she staggered. She felt a hand on her, but nothing more than a numb sensation. Sound dulled as she felt another burst, this time of pain and grief flare across her mind.
From within her mind she saw Keitaro, held by Haruka and a strange man. His eyes were filled with anger and sadness, tears falling down his face. Vaguely, the ruined form of his home sat before him.
Hina watched as Naru's eyes glimmered slightly, focusing on something in the distance. Her breath became heavy and her body began to become feverish. Checking her pulse, she was amazed to find it pounding. She looked at Motoko, “We have to get her to Tsuruko quickly.”
The young swordswoman nodded, pulling an arm over her shoulder. Leading the way, Hina's mind reeled at the images she'd witnessed in Naru's head. Silently and cautiously, she prayed this was a good omen.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Keitaro sat, unmoving in front of the twin graves of his parents. He'd been searching the ruins with Haruka and a few others when he'd happened upon his childhood home.
“Keitaro,” came the soft, yet commanding voice of Haruka. Not so much as even twitching, he remained immobile in front of the small shrine he'd erected for his family. When they'd found them, it had taken all of hers and Kenji's strength to keep him from going berserk. After he'd calmed, he'd raised the shrine and sat down in front of it.
After a long moment, Keitaro broke the uneasy silence. His voice rough, sounding more like his other self, spoke, “Haruka. They will pay for what they've done.”
A small frown came to her face, “They will, but there is something you should know.”
“What,” came the monotone voice, its lack of emotion disconcerting.
Haruka found her self pulling back, “When Kei defeated the first attempt the demons made, it cost him his life. Their leader wounded him, but died doing so.”
The slow movement of Keitaro standing up startled her. Though he was still looking away, she felt his eyes on her, “What does this have to do with now?”
She swallowed, cautious in continuing, “Their leader then is who leads them now.”
Keitaro looked at his parents graves, “I take it he also brought back his generals too?”
All Haruka could do was nod. With little notice, he turned to look at her. His eyes, red and swirling pits bore into her, “Then we find him and kill him. Permanently!”
She frowned, “Only problem with that is that we can't locate him.”
Walking up beside her, he grimaced, “Then we find him. We don't stop until he dies.”
After uttering those words, Haruka breathed a sigh of resignation. She listened as Keitaro's footsteps vanished into the distance. Hopefully with any amount of luck, they'd find him and kill him. Though the voice of reason in her told her to expect a long, grueling journey.
End of Chapter 8