Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Immortal Flame ❯ Chapter 13: Veil of War ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 13: Veil of War
Gaaz grumbled at his situation. He'd been called back from the frontline, causing all his forces to hold their positions. It was a request by his master to return to give a report on the current status of the conquest. Inwardly, he cursed at having just been given orders a month ago to carry out the destruction and annihilation with wanton abandon and was now being reigned in like a lost pup. However, disobeying orders from his master carried a high price. One that he was unwilling to pay. There were reasons as to why Vosk was ruler of the demon clans and not himself.
His footsteps and the sound of his armor clinking resounded against the walls of the cavernous throne room he was standing in. It was eerily quite, save for his own sounds and breathing. Turning once again, he walked agitatedly across the stone floor of the near lightless room. A grimace came to his demonic face, “How the hell does he think he is? Pulling me back like a dog on a leash!”
“Poor, Gaaz. Did someone jerk your chain back?”
Gaaz turned and glared at the voice's owner. Standing across from him was the lithe form of Devar. Her white hair shimmered in what little light there was to see by and her light blue gown flowed around her like an otherworldly mist. He sneered, “Keep it up Devar, and I'll make a leash for you to wear.”
The demonness laughed shrilly, “I would love to see you put it on me.”
“I can see there is no love lost between you two,” a baritone voice retorted, breaking the small measure of silence that had passed. From the shadows a volcanic black demon appeared. His skin contrasted vastly with the blood red armor he wore. Wrapped around his waist and torso were rows and rows of daggers, and at his side was a pair of larger daggers. He chuckled slightly, “There'll be time for your lover's quarrel later.”
The pair of demons looked at their fellow general, but only Gaaz spoke, “Well if it isn't Ba'Kaal. How is the hunting these days? I heard you lost almost four of your riders.”
The darker demon frowned, “In war, it was an acceptable loss to acquire the information that I have.”
For a long moment, silence descended over the odd trio. Devar playfully tossed a strand of hair over her shoulder, a look of disdain on her face, “I hope Vosk does not keep us long. I have other business to attend too.”
The horned demon chuckled, “Don't get your panties in a wad, Devar. Vosk has his ways of making it up to us.”
The she-devil spun to look at him, her gown flowing around her like a hurricane, “You say that, yet act as though he was an imbecile for all the power he holds. Or rather that you lack.”
Gaaz narrowed his eyes, “Hey, I'm the one he sends in to slaughter, pillage and plunder! He doesn't require me to think!”
She smiled cruelly, “That is a blessing then.”
Ba'Kaal shook his head, “You two never stop.”
“No, they never do.”
Immediately the three demons turned and fell to their knees as the voice's owner entered the room. From the shadows behind the throne, a figure dressed in a black cloak emerged. From within the shadow of his cloak, the sound of armor was just barely audible to them. Behind and to his left, a much larger demon stood. Ashen black skin and a large Kris style greatsword on his back, the three recognized him as Nalor. The right hand of Vosk, the large demon wore no upper armor. What armor he did wear was on his legs and a large pair of carapace-like armor along his arms.
The cloaked figure's voice lowered an octave, “I can see that you all are hard at work following my orders.”
Gaaz spoke up, “My lord, may I ask why you summoned us?”
A pair of eyes flashed red for a second, and then disappeared back into the blackness of his hood, “I have a few inquiries to make of my generals.”
Coming in front of his throne, he sat, “There are rumors I've been hearing. And what I am hearing is…disturbing. They say two things. One is that the Phoenix's are regrouping at Kyoto in preparation of a counter offensive against me.”
This time, it was Ba'Kaal's turn to speak up, “My lord, the rumors of Kyoto are true. One of my hunting parties was out and encountered a pair of travelers heading in that direction. One of which was a Phoenix and with the aid of some others from Kyoto, only one of my hunters returned.”
For a moment, the three stood deathly still, for fear of angering Vosk. After a few seconds of silence, the demon laughed, “So, the Phoenix's think they can regroup. We'll see about that.”
He turned his head to look at Devar and Gaaz, “The two of you will take a force of ten thousand strong and you will march to Kyoto. Crush that fortress beneath your heels and leave none alive.”
Devar swallowed a forming lump in her throat, “My lord. Forgive me, but I have felt a strong presence there. A child among them has untold power, yet the idiots have not noticed yet. If perhaps you would allow me…”
Vosk chuckled, “To corrupt the child and bring them to our side? Isn't that what you do best, Devar? You have my permission, but know that if the child is not promising, the price will be…immeasurable for you.”
She audibly gulped, “Of course, my lord.”
Vosk looked at the three in front of him as he settled back onto the throne more, “Now, I want to know of the second rumor. Why is it that I am hearing of a male Phoenix that is calling himself the heir of the Urashima Legacy?”
The horned demon lowered his eyes, “There cannot be any truth to this, my lord. I personally killed off any remnants of the Urashima line that you yourself did not kill. I see no possible reason as to why this should worry you. It is most likely a child with delusions of grandeur.”
In the blink of an eye, Vosk had crossed the gap between himself and Gaaz and sent the demon crashing into a nearby wall. The impact cratered the wall slightly as Vosk roared, “Never underestimate the capacity of false information! More than likely this child started this way because of you Gaaz! If that is the case, then you will personally hand me this boys head!! If not, and this is a remnant of Urashima's line, then I will strip your flesh from your bones piece by agonizing piece!! I want this boy found and dealt with quickly before more rally to their side1”
Everyone in the chamber cringed back in fear from the brutality and suddenness of the attack. It had become well known that if anything could provoke such a reaction from their master, then it was something that was best dealt with soon. It was in their best interests to follow his wishes and deal with it before it became a threat.
Vosk tossed his cloak aside and revealed his personal Katana. Gaaz began to sweat in fear as he heard the metal slide from the scabbard. Throwing himself prostrate to the ground in front of Vosk, he begged, “Forgive me, my lord. I did not mean to assume.”
“You know why you shouldn't assume, Gaaz,” Vosk said, his eyes burning violently under his hood. As he raised his sword, Gaaz suppressed the urge to tremble, “Because it makes an ass of you and me.”
The metal sang as it cut through the air. Pain raced through Gaaz's face. He brought a hand to staunch the blood pouring from the cut on his face. Wiping away some of the offending blood, he looked up at Vosk, “Let that be a reminder to you, Gaaz. Next time I won't be so lenient.”
With that, Vosk turned to the other demons in the room, “Find that boy and kill him. But first, crush Kyoto. I want it done before the next full moon.”
Cleaning the blade and sheathing it, he looked in disgust at Gaaz, “And don't return if you fail.”
Those words spoken, Vosk swept out of the room and back to the darkness behind his throne. His retainer shot a disapproving glance at the three and followed his master. For a few moments, the demons either looked at the floor or at the prostrate form of Gaaz as he clenched a hand against his face. It was Devar who broke the silence, a tone of amusement slightly in her voice, “So what is poor little hurt Gaaz going to do about the cut on his face?”
The demon glared up at her, hatred burning brightly in his eyes, “I'm going to go kill some children. Then I'm moving on Kyoto. You'd best get your little pet project taken care of, because I'm burning Kyoto to the ground. Every fiber, every piece of timber, everything and everyone there is going to die a slow and painful death.”
Ba'Kaal cleared his throat, “Then perhaps I should give you the information I have on their defenses.”
Gaaz glared at Ba'Kaal,” I don't need your help to do my job, Ba'Kaal. Not like you anything of sacking a village or tearing a castle down from the inside out. I'll do this on my own. I need no ones help.”
The two demons watched as Gaaz stormed out, leaving a small trail of blood drops behind him from his blood covered hand. Devar smiled viciously, “Oh I do think he's upset.”
The darker skinned one frowned deeply, “So long as he doesn't let his anger get the better of him in a fight. That is his only weakness.”
They shared an acknowledging nod before they too disappeared into the dark to follow their master's wishes.
End of Chapter 13