Loveless Fan Fiction ❯ Pt. I: Burdenless ❯ Pt. I: Burdenless ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Though Loveless has ended, I am in vain attempt to create the conclusion that the series never brought to me. I will do my best to glue together the missing pieces, and bring you what you've long awaited... AN ACTUAL ENDING. This section is entitled Burdenless... and if you kindly continue scrolling downward, I won't have to write up a huge summary!
 
~~~
 
A photo has the power to hold peoples souls. When they die, their souls are locked in the photo until it is released from the owner. Then their soul is rendered. A burdenless soul is free to choose; Heaven, Hell, or Earth. A burdened soul is condemned.
 
~~~
 
`Pt. I ~ Burdenless
 
Ritsuka stood stiff, clenching all his memories in one fist, and grasping Soubi's palm in the other.
 
“Ritsuka...” Soubi began, taking a long drag of his cigarette and exhaling, “are you sure you want to do this? If you discard all your memories, you'll have no recollection of your past...”
 
“I realize that! I also realize that these memories are what's causing me so much pain. It may be selfish, but it's better to be rid of them, before they put an even bigger burden on me.” He closed his eyes tightly, and squeezed Soubi's hand for comfort. Soubi smiled, and flicked his cigarette onto the ground.
 
“Shall we?” He insisted.
 
Ritsuka hesitated for a moment, then nodded curtly. The two stood over a lengthly cliff, releasing all their memories into the seemingly endless depth of rock. Ritsuka watched all his burdens float away into ash and water... and a single tear rolled along his fair cheek. With an exasperated sigh, he fell weary and wanted for Soubi to take him home.
 
~~~
 
“So... you threw all your photos away, Ritsuka? Why do you think you did that?” Ritsuka's psychiatrist asked, chewing on the cap of her pen.
 
“I couldn't live with the thoughts of Seimei any longer... it was just to painful...”
 
“Pain is temporary...”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Pain is temporary...” she repeated, “you'll now have to live forever with the feelings of betrayal toward your brother. You left Seimei behind... what's left of him now?”
 
Ritsuka paused for a moment, and lowered his head in shame.
 
“I'm sorry to have disappointed you... I thought it was for the best... to help me...”
 
“Ritsuka...” His psychiatrist spoke, getting up from her desk, “you have never disappointed me.” She knelt beside him and cupped his chin with her hand, smiling softly.
 
~~~
 
That was a difficult session... Ritsuka thought, as he unlocked the door to his house, I wonder how she'd react if I told her about Soubi and I...
 
He closed the door behind him, and took off his shoes.
 
“Mother! I'm home!” Ritsuka called, his voice echoing through the hallows of the dreary, empty house.
 
“Mother?”
 
“You...”
 
“Eh?” Ritsuka retorted, turning around. He saw his mother standing in the door frame. She was obviously drunk, since she was holding an empty wine bottle in her hand. She ambled over to Ritsuka.
 
“You... killed him... I KNOW YOU DID!” She shouted, violently swinging her empty bottle at Ritsuka's face.
 
“No mother! Stop! Please!”
 
~~~
 
Soubi glanced away from the newspaper he was reading, and turned to his cellphone which was annoyingly beeping. He quickly reached for it and flipped it open.
 
“Hello?” He answered after respiring the smoke which filled his lungs.
 
“Soubi...” Ritsuka said dimly.
 
“Ritsuka...?”
 
“I need you... my mother... something has happened...”
 
“I'll be right there.”
 
“Sou-chaaan! ♥ Supper's on!” Kio hollered from the kitchen.
 
“Save me some, Kio. It smells delicious.” Soubi declared, as he darted out the front door.
 
~~~
 
“My own child... lost in an oblivious attempt to save himself. You're the one... it all leads to you...”
 
“No Mother! Don't! WAIT!”
 
~~~
 
Ritsuka stood over his mother's morbid body, clothes stained with her blood. Soubi swung open the front door, and walked steadily towards Ritsuka. He put one arm around his shoulder.
 
“You're cold...” Soubi said, staring at Misaki's lifeless form. Ritsuka shivered and pushed himself out of his embrace.
 
“How dare you!”
 
“You'd think someone whose drenched in fresh blood would be warm. Does she have cold blood? Is she as cold as you are?”
 
Ritsuka stared at Soubi in horror, who was just gazing down at his deceased mother.
 
“I-I... didn't mean to...” Ritsuka stammered, falling to the floor, tears streaming down his cheeks.
 
“Ritsuka... let me warm you up...” Soubi said, kneeling next to Ritsuka. Ritsuka jerked his head toward Soubi, staring into his eyes. Their gazes were locked, a fusion of hazy violet and stone-cold blue. Ritsuka collapsed, face collided into Soubi's chest.
 
~~~
 
“I can't help but feel... relieved.”
 
“You just killed an innocent woman... does this bring you pleasure?”
 
“No. My true pleasure is much more subtle... my true Sacrifice is much more quaint.”
 
~~~
 
“Hmm...” Kio hummed irritated, “why does he have to stay with us?” He asked, poking the unconscious Ritsuka's cheek.
 
“We're lovers.” Soubi said calmly, lighting up a cigarette.
 
“Sou-chan! You really are a dirty old man!” Kio cried in horror.
 
“I don't want to be a disturbance...” Ritsuka said, slowly arising, rubbing his head.
 
“Ritsuka...” Soubi said, pushing Kio aside, “you're none of the such.” He took Ritsuka's hands, “I love you.”
 
Ritsuka blushed madly, glancing over at Kio who was green with envy.
 
“Thank you for letting me stay here... but what happened with my mother...?”
 
“I took care of it.” Soubi said.
 
~~~
 
“Sacrifice...” Soubi muttered, removing a cigarette from his carton, lighting it, and dropping it daintily on the floor. He watched the wooden floor boards catch fire, and it slowly spread to the curtains, the futon, and crawled up the walls. He left the house, with Ritsuka in his arms, escaping into the darkness.
 
“Such a waste of a good cigarette...” He sighed, as he listened for the sirens
 
~~~
 
“You've been reported as an M.I.A. by the police.” Soubi explained, “our best bet is to avoid the police, or you'll be taken into social services and could possibly be charged.”
 
Ritsuka lowered his head, forcing back the tears.
 
“She beat me...” He paused, his lips quivering, “bet you didn't know that. She beat me... but she was still my mother... and I loved her.”
 
“Do you have her memory?” Soubi asked.
 
“... No ...”
 
“Don't lower your head when we speak of this incident. You have nothing to be ashamed of.”
 
“You're going to let this murderer live in our house?!” Kio retorted furiously.
 
“He's not a murderer, Kio. In fact, his mother's still alive.” Soubi assured.
 
“What? Soubi... what do you mean she's still alive?”
 
Soubi took a drag from his cigarette, and glanced at Ritsuka with his piercing blue eyes.
 
“You'll have to find that out for yourself, Ritsuka.”
 
~~~
 
“My humble Sacrifice brings me such joy. Shall I bestow this innocence with such splendor?”
 
“You seek too much content, to you I beseech; wallow in what was once your own darkness.”
 
~~~
 
“What about school, Soubi? Can I return to school?” Ritsuka asked, following Soubi around the house like a lost puppy.
 
“Ritsuka... I'm afraid you can't...”
 
“Then you must teach me!” Ritsuka plead, tugging on the sleeve of Soubi's shirt. Soubi glanced at Ritsuka, and sighed heavily.
 
“Fine. But you must understand what I am going to teach you does not refer to books or equations. It's something more. Something you'll be needing to use in your future, Ritsuka. I will teach you, but it must be in a secluded, dark area,” Soubi smiled at Ritsuka, “are you hungry?”
 
“After what just happened... I don't think so...”
 
“Good then. You need rest anyway. You'll be sleeping in my bed.”
 
“Your bed?!” Ritsuka repeated, blushing, “why can't I just use the couch?”
 
“It's not very comfortable, Ritsuka. Plus, you're still cold... I haven't warmed you up yet...”
 
Ritsuka's entire body trembled, yet an innate sense of curiosity came over him.
 
“All right...” He agreed, shocked at the words which just escaped his lips.
 
~~~
 
Ritsuka slipped under the blankets, wrapping himself up tightly. Soubi followed in after him, wearing only a pair of plaid pajama pants.
 
“You better not try anything!” Ritsuka shouted, turning away from Soubi, his face flushed red. Soubi chucked slightly, and slipped his arm around Ritsuka's waist.
 
“Goodnight.” He whispered, kissing Ritsuka's cheek, and rolled back over to his side of the bed.
 
~~~
 
The morning came around early. Ritsuka awoke to the smell of eggs and toast. He suddenly got up and ran into the kitchen. He saw Soubi sitting at the table reading the morning paper and Kio cooking something at the stove.
 
“Morning Ritsuka.” Soubi greeted him with a cheerful smile.
 
“Smells great,” Ritsuka smiled, “I haven't had a real meal in ages. My mom never cooked for me, she'd just go out and get groceries, then go to the den and drink herself to sleep.”
 
“I'm sorry Ritsuka...” Soubi said, “have a seat.” He tapped the chair next to him.
 
“Just so you know, kid, Soubi's ordering me to make you breakfast. If I had a choice, I'd make you improvise just like Misaki-chan did.” Kio snapped, as he buttered the toast. Ritsuka stayed silent, and lowered his head slightly.
 
“Hey Ritsuka,” Soubi began, “don't mind him. He's just jealous that I have you all to myself...” He grinned mischievously. Ritsuka blushed and turned to Kio who was rolling his eyes. Kio placed the bowl of scrambled eggs and toast on the table, along with forks, knives, and plates.
 
“Thank you, Kio,” Soubi smiled, “Kio's the cook around here. You won't ever find me with a spatula in my hand. Ha ha!”
 
“I'd like to help.” Ritsuka offered, taking a bite of his toast.
 
“How so?” Soubi asked, putting out his cigarette butt in an ash tray.
 
“Well, I'm staying here free... that's practically stealing. I know stealing is a sin; and I never sin. So... I would like to cook and clean for you.”
 
“Really?! That would be—” Kio began.
 
“You never sin?” Soubi interrupted, “what about our love? Is that a sin?”
 
Ritsuka felt his entire face grow hot.
 
“Our love? I don't love you! Can't you see that?! I've never loved you!” Ritsuka shouted furiously, slamming his fist on the table. He stared at Soubi, who was staring at him back, a smile curling at the corners of his mouth.
 
“Excuse me...” Ritsuka said, abruptly getting up from the table and retreating to his and Soubi's room. He flopped on the bed, and stuffed his face into Soubi's pillow. It smelt like him. A sweet scent... one Ritsuka had never smelt before, but never wanted to go away.
 
What if I do love him? Ritsuka thought, playing with the soft cotton bedsheets, I don't know how to feel. I wonder... did Seimei love Soubi?
 
~~~
 
“Now... you're going to kick him out, right?” Kio asked, bright eyed.
 
“No, Kio.” Soubi said, sipping his coffee.
 
“Aww. Why not? I would, after that outburst.”
 
“Because he's just pretending. He really loves me; I can see it in his eyes; but he's too afraid to be rejected.”
 
“Rejected? But... he already knows you're madly in love with him...”
 
“No... rejected by God.”
 
~~~