Macross Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of Megaroad -- Book One ❯ Chapter 5: Operation Minmei ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: Operation Minmei

--March 19, 2016--

--10:30--

Macross City was the largest and most prosperous city on Earth, not that that says much. It's city limits were well defined, and there were no suburbs. Once you pass the last house in the town, you were confronted with an endless expanse of harsh barren desert region, pock-marked with craters and crash sites of Zentradi space craft, around which smaller cities have risen to life.

Macross City was small compared to the major cities that came before it, with a population of slightly more than 300,000 humans and Zentradi. For this time period in Macross City, as with the rest of the cities of the world, the most lucrative business to be a part of is the construction companies. An almost non-stop effort has been established to rebuild the cities of the earth, and many have found success by cannibalizing the wrecked Zentradi battleships that littered the Surface of the world.

The center of Macross city is marked by a legendary monolith of space exploration: the SDF-01 Macross. This ship now looms silently over Macross city, as it has for years and forever will. On the bridge of this massive ship, the leaders of the UN Space Government Confer at least once a day to read the reports from the half dozen active colony fleets roaming the galaxy is search of a home. It was a menial, though satisfying task for them, as it always gave them assurances that their people were safe and sound in the darkness of space. Each of the members of the military council, including the recently micronized Commander Britai, found the most pleasure in the peaceful monotony of the reports. But today, the report from the Megaroad brought only bad news.

In the meeting room of the great ship, Britai and the others read over the message from Captain Misa regarding the survey of the HJ-95B system, as well as their encounter with the Supervision Army survivors on the second moon of the 5th planet. Britai, as usual was the first to comment today. "I don't like this one bit." He said, putting the report down on the table in front of him. "It is fortunate that they were able to destroy the enemy fleet before they could escape into hyperspace, but it is curious that she leaves no clue as to HOW she managed this feat. If she used Bacta-Quedrali's main cannon, why wouldn't she simply say so in her report?"

Admiral Samson, the Commander of the rebuilt 3rd fleet, had his own opinions. "Seems to me she probably deployed a barrage of reflex warheads and good old fashion cannon fire to suppress them. Or else she might have just left out a few details by accident."

Britai scratched his head. "Anything is possible. But it's so unlike Captain Misa...." He looked through more of the report at the ship's planned course correction. "And I worry for the safety of the colony ship. They're changing course for a position on the opposite side of the galactic core on a hunch that there might be protoculture survivors there, but her course takes her very close to the Arturo sector where we know the Supervision Army still has a strong presence."

Chief Gloval almost never spoke during these meetings anymore. Britai was such a skilled tactician that he never had to say anything, just nod piously. But Gloval had learned a long time ago that the man was a lousy politician. "Admiral Britai, you are right in the fact that it is dangerous to allow the Megaroad to venture so close to enemy controlled space like this, but as long as the ship is out there and we are here, it remains under Captain Ichijo's discretion. The question becomes weather or not to send reinforcements to their aide?"

Everyone around the table seemed in favor the decision. "ARMD-15 and ARMD-16 have just completed their shakedown missions, and they can be deployed with the 6th fleet to rendezvous with the Megaroad after about 10 days hard travel." Admiral Bennet was the 6th fleet's commander, so it was understandable that he'd want to exercise his new command in what they all assumed was probably a milk run.

Chief Gloval lit his pipe for the first time in three weeks. "Bennet, I think this mission calls for something we cannot give the Megaroad easily. What's needed here is faith, faith in our ship, faith in her Zentradi escorts, faith in her captain, and most of all, faith in the Ichijo report as truthful. If Misa had really wanted reinforcements, she certainly would have asked for them."

"I have 3 carriers loaded and ready for combat. We wouldn't even have to join them, just shadow their fleet from a distance in case they call for help…"

"I'm sorry Bennet, but I can't allow it. And besides, your fleet will be leaving in a few months with Megaroad-05. If something should happed to you and your fleet, we'd be forced to delay the launch for several months until the factory satellite could produce replacements."

Britai sighed heavily. "So what now? We sit here and hope for the best?"

"Exactly. If anything happens to that ship, we can send a contingent from the defense forces or even one of the nearby colony fleets to investigate. And just to put all of your minds at ease, I will be sending reinforcements from the new line of ships to the Planet Eden as a forward position in case the Supervision Army comes lurking our way. This decision is final, and I will hear no more discussion on the matter until the next report from Captain Ichijo."

There was a chorus of dissatisfied grunts form around the table, but no one dared defy Chief Gloval once he'd made up his mind. "As you wish, sir. But I still think we will all live to regret this." Britai said, standing from the table and vacating the room.

--March 20, 2016--

--23:30--

There was a knock on the door, Minmei answered reluctantly. She had only been living with Richard for a few days, and she was concerned that some of his friends might pay him a visit and recognize her. As usual, she opened the door just as much as the deadbolt chain would allow, peeking through to see the visitor outside. "Minmei? Is that you?" Someone said.

Minmei started to say no, but at the last moment she recognized the voice and opened the door all the way. "Hi Misa. How'd you know where to find me?"

"I followed your forwarding address form your condo. I can't believe you moved in with a man! You two getting serious or something?"

Minmei blushed. "I don't know. We have a good thing going right now, and I'm not certain where we should go from here. I mean we haven't even… you know." Misa laughed out loud, but Minmei hushed her quickly. "He's asleep now, so try and keep your voice down."

"I'm sorry. Anyway, I came here just to see how you were doing, and to ask a huge favor from you. I hate to ask this but…"

Minmei sighed. "You want me to sing and Miko's birthday party, don't you? Well…"

Misa cut her off quickly. "I had considered that, but actually, I need something a lot more important. I want to you sing in a battle."

Minmei stared for a moment and then shook her head sadly. "I swore to myself I would never do that again. I'm through signing, especially to motivate soldiers. I makes me feel like I'm betraying all those people and Zentradi out there who enjoy hearing me sing, because in the end that's exactly what I'm doing. When they hear my voice, it's always the last thing they hear before a reflex missile blows them away."

"I know how you feel. It's as if you're sending all of those people to their deaths, but Minmei I'm telling you we need you now more than ever. You see, we've finally found a home world we might be able to settle but it's being guarded by a Zentradi fleet. I need you to sing to them."

Minmei stamped her foot. "You don't need me in person! You have recordings, and you have some of the holographic programs I wrote right after the war. That might even work better than having me do it in person."

Misa was becoming frustrated. "I don't understand. You used to love that life, coveted by both soldiers and civilians. You had a talent that remains unchallenged by anyone on this ship…"

"Forget it. I'm not doing it ever again. I said goodbye to that life years ago when I said goodbye to Earth. And nothing you or Hikaru or anyone else could do would change my mind!"

Misa held her finger to her lips, reminding Minmei to keep her voice down. "I'm sorry Minmei. I just thought maybe you'd enjoy one last call to fame. I guess you're too tired now."

"It's not that at all. It's Richard. I don't want him to know."

Misa was stunned. "He… he doesn't know about your career?"

"He has no idea. And I'm afraid to tell him. If he ever found out, I'm afraid he'd leave me."

Misa started to wonder what kind of blockhead Minmei had fallen for that didn't even know who she was. "Why would he do that? I think he'd be excited…"

"But I lied to him. I told him I was a waitress from the Macross, not an all powerful idol singer."

"But that's true. You ARE a waitress. You were a waitress then too, with you aunt and uncle at Nyan Nyan. I guess you just left this part out."

Minmei sat down on the couch and stared at her feet. "Misa, I won't participate in the battle. But I understand that you'll be needing my services later, after it's all over and done with. I'm available if that's the case, just as long as Richard never finds out. I want him to love me for who I am, not because I'm some famous superstar."

Misa understood, so she began making her way to the door. "Your secret's safe with me. But make sure you do something bout his friends. One of them just might spill the beans if he happens to mention your name where he works."

Minmei led her to the door and hugged her. "Thank you for everything, Misa. I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help."

"Oh, don't worry about it, really. A recorded broadcast works just as well, you know that. Actually, I wanted to do it for you. You've seemed so board and distant since we launched. I worry about you sometimes."

"I'll be fine as long as I can be with Richard. You have no idea how wonderful I feel whenever he's around. Anyway, it's late and we both better get to bed."

Misa smiled. "This is a one bedroom apartment, Minmei. You expect me to believe nothing ever happened between the two of you?"

Minmei growled in disgust. "Absolutely not! Richard is true a gentleman! He'd NEVER convince me to move in with him just for that!"

Misa winked playfully. "Okay, Minmei. I believe you." She started giggling, and Minmei started closing the door.

"Tell Hikaru I said goodnight. And give Miko a big hug for me."

"Okay. And you tell that gentleman fiancé of yours that I said good luck!" Misa giggled again and made her way out of the building.

Minmei closed the door and retired to the bedroom, where she found Richard sleeping peacefully in the bed they had been sharing for several days. "My fiancé… well not yet anyway. But hopefully soon…" She quickly undressed and climbed into bed next to him, and in mere moments she too slipped into a deep sleep, comforted beyond words by the presence of the one she loved.

--March 21--

--00:45--

Three Valkyries with fast packs were maneuvering in space near an asteroid field that had been concealing a Zentradi recon fleet. These three planes now swerved and banked to avoid laser fire from the Zentradi vessels that were pursuing them. "This is Splinter 801 calling Gunsight! Enemy ships sighted in sector bravo! They're heading strait for you!"

Lieutenant Mike Gallows relayed the information to Commander Broli as was his duty. "Skipper, they're here! They seem to be ahead of schedule by several hours!"

"Or we're behind schedule. How many are there?"

"Splinter squadron confirms three destroyers and… 9 picket ships. They're falling back, awaiting orders."

"Tell them to return to ship immediately and reload all weapons. Ready the main cannon and prepare to fire. And tell the Bacta-Quedrali to do the same."

"Aye, sir!" Lieutenant Gallows had been briefed on Captain Ichijo's battle plan just like Broli had. He knew that this part of the operation would be more difficult than it should have been, but it was necessary none the less. "The battleship is responding. They're opening their main gun and preparing to fire."

"Open our main cannon and target the lead destroyer. Tell the battleship to fire ahead of the formation to take down those picket ships."

"Right away, sir!" The Battleship Bacta-Quedrali took aim, it's hull parting opening like the jaw of some huge space-borne whale. The Phoenix likewise adjusted it's orientation and opened it's main cannon. The two booms of the hull were ablaze with ever increasing amounts of super dimension energy, gaining intensity every second.

Broli noticed the green light on Ensign Ryder's panel light up once again. "Okay. Commence firing."

A huge wash of energy lanced out from the two warships toward the Zentradi patrol group as the Valkyrie fighters scrambled to clear the way. The blast from the battleship vaporized all 9 of the picket vessels and one of the destroyers in the blink of an eye, and the shot from the Phoenix slammed into one of the destroyers, reducing the vessel to a cloud of gaseous particles an instant after impact. The last destroyer suffered damage from the displaced energy that washed over it's hull, but it managed to re-fold away from the area before it's armor could soak up dangerous amounts of heat. "Enemy fleet destroyed. That last destroyer took some damage, but seems to have escaped intact."

Broli sighed with relief. "Good news. That ship could return within the next two hours with it's reinforcements, so put all fighters on alert 5."

Ensign Ryder seemed nervous. "How many ships will they send after us?"

Broli slouched in his chair and rested his aching back. He had been on duty for 3 days without any sleep, which was just about normal for a Zentradi. But he could feel his body slowing down, and he felt the need to put in a solid 6 hours of sack time before anything big went down. "They'll send one battle group, which usually contains about 50 ships. They'll have 1 battleship, 2 command ships, 8 gunboats, 8 attack carriers, 22 destroyers, and at least 10 pickets."

Amelia wished she hadn't asked. "I sure hope captain Ichijo knows what she's doing."

"I'm sure she does. It sounded like a good plan at the briefing, but I have my doubts. How will we convince an entire battle group to switch sides just like that?"

Mike chuckled a bit. "Broli, I'm sure you've heard Minmei sing before, right?"

Broli nodded. "I suppose you're right. I was speechless when I first heard her songs, and even then I was just listening to a stupid doll. But I hope these Zentradi are the open minded type. They might just flee in terror as apposed to becoming curious. "