Macross Fan Fiction ❯ Miriya’s Song ❯ Dana ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Miriya’s Song

Miriya Parino Sterling, ace pilot and one time Captain of the Quadrano, an elite band of all-female Zentraedi warriors stood beside the crib of her daughter and sighed with awe and amazement.
She still can't believe it that this little person so perfect and tiny belongs to her and Max; that their love had created her.
If anyone were to tell her back then that she was destined to fall in love with a micronian pilot, defect, marry him and then become a mother nine months afterward she would have killed them with her bare hands without a second thought.
Today motherhood had changed her, tempered her somewhat and given her a new passion – fighting to protect those she loves instead of to gain a reputation for herself.
“In my daughter's eyes I am a heroI am strong and wise and I know no fearBut the truth is plain to seeShe was sent to rescue meI see who I wanna beIn my daughter's eyes”
She had met her husband, her mate by trying to kill him. Her skills and prows in battles were legendary among all the Zentraedi forces for she had never been beaten in combat. She had been vain and very self-centered back then.
She only had one mission and one goal in life – to be the best of the best and she had let nothing stood in her way of achieving that goal therefore all her battle plans had center around her glories. She lived to fight and she fought to live.
During an assault on the SDF-1, she had engaged in close combat with then Corporal Max Sterling. The contest was, at best, a draw. But as far as she was concerned, she had lost.
Unable to cope with her defeat at the hand of a mere micronian, she had subjected herself to the micronization process to seek him out and kill him. Instead she had fallen madly in love with him and him with her. Their marriage had caused shockwaves throughout Breetai's fleet.
Their union was the first in the history of both races and now her baby was the first child of such union, half Zentraedi-half human yet a person all on her own -- unique and special -- the best of both her and Max.
“In my daughter's eyes everyone is equalDarkness turns to light and theworld is at peaceThis miracle God gave to me gives mestrength when I am weakI find reason to believeIn my daughter's eyes”
Tears of happiness pooled her emerald-green eyes and she smiled to herself, remembering the long, grueling 12-hour labor that she had endured.
In all her life she had never knew such physical pain but she knew that she would suffer it again in a heartbeat. Having Dana was one of the most wonderful and challenging experiences she had ever had in her life since meeting Max. She chuckled softly as she remembered nearly crushing her husband's hand throughout the long delivery but he had neither complained nor let go of her hand.
“And when she wraps her handaround my fingerOh it puts a smile in my heartEverything becomes a little clearerI realize what life is all about
It's hangin' on when your hearthas had enoughIt's giving more when you feel like giving upI've seen the lightIt's in my daughter's eyes”
Without even looking, Miriya sensed Max stepping in behind her and slowly wrapped his arms around her waist. She smiled and pressed her hands on his. They stood together in silence for what seemed like an eternity, content to watch their baby girl sleeping peacefully.
And once again she is taken aback by Dana’s fragility and smallness yet she could sense strength within her little girl too as well as the untapped potential waiting to be shaped and nurture by her and Max.
In my daughter's eyes I can see the futureA reflection of who I am and what will beThough she'll grow and someday leaveMaybe raise a familyWhen I'm gone I hope you see how happyshe made meFor I'll be thereIn my daughter's eyes
Leaning forward, Miriya gave her sleeping infant a kiss on the forehead. "You will be everything that we want you to be and much much more. You are my hope for the future. I love you, Dana," she whispered, "I love you so much.”


Note:
Song by Martina McBride “In My Daughter’s Eyes”