Macross Fan Fiction ❯ Underground Down Under ❯ Echoes ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Robotech: Underground Down Under

Chapter X: Echoes


"Emission check!"

Through the ACIF Veritechs' landing area, hands rose to signal the okay.

There was one hand missing, of course. Eyes turned to Peter Halprin's annihilation disc scarred Alpha sitting in Guardian mode by a cluster of rocks. After a long moment, Irene Jacka, the Alpha section leader, leapt down from her own cockpit and walked towards Halprin's "Bridge Too Far". She nimbly ascended the handholds in the Veritech's nose and raised the canopy. It was strange in a way that Halprin was shivering, though from across the landing area an observer might have been forgiven for losing that detail in the shimmering mid-morning air. Jacka leaned across her comrade and punched a few keys tentatively on his control panel. Her fingers seemed to prickle at a residual charge left when part of the panel surged after the disc strike. Or perhaps it was all in her head. Turning back to Commander Barker, Jacka gave the okay sign.

Barker nodded. "Camouflage, move it!" he bellowed. As the tarps were flung over the ACIF's mecha by the pilots and infantry from the trucks, Barker dismounted and headed to where Sabol, Owens, and Chauvel were aiding Jacka in gently lowering Halprin to the ground. After propping the pilot against the leg of his Veritech, Sabol looked up and met Barker's gaze. There was a flicker around Barker's mouth, almost a twitch. He turned away.

"What was that all about?" Owens asked uncomfortably. "He should be thanking you for saving-"

"No, no," Sabol interrupted quietly. "If you think about, now he has two pilots he can't trust."

Alpha 3, get back here! I can't- Sabol, what are doing?!

"Come off it, Gordon," Owens replied with dismay. "Anyone would have- should have- done what you did."

Halprin had stopped shivering as Chauvel removed his armor, but his breath came out in a moan.

"You're okay, cobber," the medic was saying. "Looks like your armor took care of that jolt pretty well."

"Irene," he whispered. Jacka knelt in front of him and took his pale hands in hers. "I'm so sorry. I've let you all down. Everyone."

Somebody please help me. Anyone!

"Peter, it wasn't your fault. We'll have you'll flying again in no time."

"It was, Irene. It was," he said, closing his eyes. "I panicked, just like I did over Darwin. I got Frank killed then, just like I endangered Sabol today."

"Peter…"

"There's no need to pretend anymore, Irene. It's all over." Halprin opened his eyes, but his face was still blank. "Look, after that first time, I went to apologize to Barker. You were in there, screaming that I should have been sacked right then and there. And you were right, and Barker was wrong. I was wrong, for thinking drive could overcome cowardice."

Christ, Tom, how many more pilots are you going to let him kill before you listen to me?!

He paused for a long moment, before continuing: "I-I wish I had died with them…my wife Andrea, I mean, and my daughters Samantha and Leslie. And saved myself the eternal shame of all the harm I've done to you all."

Jacka let go of his hand and stumbled to her feet as she tried unsuccessfully to stifle a sob.

Halprin grabbed Sabol's arm. "I'm grateful to you, I am. I only hope I haven't destroyed things between you and Barker."

Sabol, you son of a bitch, I'm giving you a direct order! You die, this mission is over! Are you listening to me?!

"I don't know what will happen now."

Halprin nodded gravely. "I appreciate your honesty."

Chauvel draped Halprin's arm around his own shoulder and helped him to his feet. Sabol watched them go.

HEEELLLLLPPPP MEEEEE!

"Gordon, is something wrong?" Owens asked with concern.

"Something?" he replied, and walked away.