Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Here I Am ❯ Morning ( Chapter 16 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Here I Am

Chapter Sixteen - Morning

By Crow Skywalker

----------

Disclaimer - Don't own MKR or its characters. No profit is being made, only borrowing them for my own amusement.

Author's Notes - Heh…haven't updated in a long time, huh? Well, nope..I'm not dead. Just really busy trying to keep my marks up, and I've become obsessed with Inuyasha…it's a great anime :D But anyway, this is a short chapter…and nothing much happens. Sorry if Ascot is a bit OOC, I just figured he'd take Umi's diappearance really hard, since he has a crush on her. Until next time! R&R!

Warnings/Pairings - Rated PG, though I may up the rating later on. Pairings of Umi/Clef, Fuu/Ferio, and Hikaru/Lantis/Eagle.

Summary - Umi wishes to return to Cephiro, and on a cold lonely night she gets sent back. However, things aren't what they seem, for a new evil is lurking not far away, and it has plans for Umi.

----------

The sun was just rising, its warm rays making its way across the land of Cephiro, awakening its inhabitants. In the Palace, most of the people were still asleep having been up all night worrying about Umi and if Clef could find her or not.

Ascot stood on his balcony, which overlooked the garden, watching the sunrise. He'd been up for quite a while now, unable to sleep in like the others. He supposed he wasn't the only one up by now though, since Ferio had to rise early to tend to his kingdom, and Clef most likely hadn't slept at all.

He sighed, shaking his head as the morning breeze blew at his hair. He knew Clef had been unsuccessful in his spell to find Umi, otherwise Clef would have woken everyone up by now with the good news. The spell had failed, most likely blocked by darker magic, and Umi was still missing.

Ascot slammed his hand down on the railing, clenching his teeth together in pain and anger. I wish there was something I could do…some way to help!

"Now why'd you do that for?" Came a voice behind him, and he turned to find Caldina giving him a look. He frowned at her, turning back to the gardens.

"No news?" He asked, clenching the railing. Behind him, Caldina shifted feet before walking towards him and laying a hand on his arm.

"Don't worry so much, Ascot. Umi's strong, she'll be okay. And we'll find her soon enough." A small smile made its way across her lips, "Clef will keep trying. He'll find her."

"I just…" Ascot hesitated, letting his hands drop to his sides. With a sigh, he continued, "I feel so useless!"

Caldina crossed her arms, giving him a knowing look. "And I don't? I think we all feel that way," She leaned on the railing now, trying to get a better look at his face that was covered with his long bangs, "Even the girls. Imagine what it must be like for them, to finally return home…and for Umi to be kidnapped. It must be horrible."

Ascot shook his head, "Whoever did this is horrible!"

Caldina didn't bother to answer, just relaxed more fully against the railing and let the silence continue. Finally, she finally spoke, "Come, Ascot. You've spent too much time moping this morning. Come down to breakfast with me and the others." She said quietly.

Ascot turned his head away from her. "I want to be alone for a bit longer."

With a roll of her eyes, Caldina straightened up with a sigh. "If that's what you really want." She turned away from him, heading back in through the balcony doors and into the room. She was almost to the door when he spoke again.

"Tell the others I'll be down later on."

She nodded, although his back was still turned and she knew he couldn't see her, and left the room.

-----

Ferio was very irritated, having been up almost all night and having no sleep. Not only that, but he had to put up with his guards and soldiers constantly bugging him and asking for instructions, and the rest of the Palace was in an uproar. Word had gotten around that the Magic Knight of Water had mysteriously disappeared from her room, and that news was traveling fast.

"Prince Ferio?" Called a voice from behind him as he made his way towards the dining room for breakfast. He had hoped that he might get the chance to talk to the others, to get away from all the problems arising that he was forced to take care of. But no, it seemed trouble followed him everywhere. "Prince Ferio!"

"Yes?" He asked whirling around, his royal green cape twirling with him. He watched as another confused guard made his way towards him.

"Lantis told me to come," The man told him, and at once Ferio raised a eyebrow in question.

"Anything new?"

The guard shook his head. "No, still no sign of anything. We had guards posted all over the Palace all night, and nothing was seen. It looks like the culprit isn't returning."

"Damn!" Ferio growled. He had been hoping the kidnapper would return with some kind of ransom note, or perhaps to try to kidnap the other Magic Knights, so the culprit would have been caught. But there was no such luck, it seemed. He snapped out of his thoughts to find the man staring at him with a confused look on his face. "What?" He snapped waspishly.

The guard winced, knowing his Prince was under a lot of stress at the moment. "Lantis also told me that he wishes to speak to you before breakfast, my prince." He hesitated, before saying, "He's waiting in the library with Presea."

Ferio nodded, dismissing the man as he changed course and headed in the direction the library was.

What could Lantis want? He wondered as he entered the library. At once, Lantis and Presea stopped whatever conversation that they were having and turned towards him.

"Lantis." He acknowledged the man, and nodded at Presea. "Presea. You wished to see me?"

"I know you must be busy right now," Presea gave him a small smile before continuing, "But Lantis and I have been talking -"

"The kidnapper is obviously smart, and most likely strong," Lantis started, "He most likely won't show his face around here again in fear he might be caught."

"I figured as much," Ferio sighed.

"Presea has offered to make new powerful weapons for the Magic Knights." Lantis finished, and Ferio suddenly looked up at both of them, his eyes flickering to Presea. She nodded.

"Clef can't sense her anywhere, his magic is being blocked," She said quietly, looking down at the floor, "There's not much more we can do for Umi. The Magic Knights - they might be able to find her." She finished, looking back up at him.

Ferio seemed to think this over. She's right, there's not much more we can do for them, and they won't want to stay here waiting for Clef to finally break through and sense her, wherever she is. They'll want to go search for her soon enough, and hopefully, they'll get a lead on where she's being held captive.

"I'll make the best weapons and armor I can, which will grow as they progress, of course," Presea went on to say, "And Lantis has offered to go with them."

Lantis nodded. "I wish to accompany them."

"I will accompany them as well," Came a voice behind them, and Ferio turned to see Clef standing in the doorway. "My magic will be helpful."

"But we need you in the Palace -" Ferio started to argue, but Clef waved him off.

"Have you forgotten? I can easily return here by magic." Clef answered with a smile.

"But the spell -"

"The spell can be done at any time," He answered, "And if we get any leads, it's possible my magic will be able to help determine the way."

Ferio looked from Clef to his other two friends standing not too far away, and nodded in defeat. "You both may go. I just wish I could go as well," He shook his head, "But I must stay here and keep watch over the castle."

"Ah, princely duties," Presea smiled.

"Just promise me - you'll take good care of the girls. And Fuu-"

"We'll protect them with our life." Said Lantis.

"Then that's that. You'll head out once Presea finishes the Magic Knight's weapons in search of Umi, and hopefully, you'll bring her back safely." He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "We'll tell the Magic Knights during breakfast."

To Be Continued…