Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Wait, did that happen before? ❯ Team Five ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3: Team Five

Six Months Earlier

Negi Springfield was at his graduation ceremony. It had been a long five years, and Negi had made the proud achievement of graduating two years earlier than usual, and at the top of his class. Nevertheless, until he completed his final assignment, he could not obtain the title of Magister Magi. After receiving his certificate of graduation, Negi quietly waited for the ceremony to end, then headed off to the halls for some privacy to read his assignment. As he left the room, his friend Anya called out to him.

"Hey, Negi! What does it say?" Turning, he spotted her, followed by his cousin Nekane. "I got assigned to a fortune telling job in the Wind Country! Where will you be training?"

"It's about to appear," Negi replied, holding up his currently blank certificate, which was starting to glow. "Oh..."

"Well?" asked Anya.

"Um..." replied Negi uncertainly, looking at the words that appeared on the certificate. "A ninja in the Fire Country."

"EEEEEEEEH!"

0o0o0

The Present

As Naruto sat in silence upon a cold, porcelain throne, he pondered about his current situation and what he should do next. 'Well, looks like I accidentally unmade Sasuke when I went back in time. And made giant robots that fight things in the forest. Somehow. That's... that es nice. ...So, how do I fix this? I could try using the jutsu again. But that might make things worse. I screwed up the jutsu the first time, and I don't have the scroll with the jutsu on it. So if I did it again, I'd probably screw it up again. What if I ended up in a world where Orochimaru was Hokage or something? Plus, even if I did it right, I'd just be going back in time in this world. If I want to get back to my own world, I need to find some sort of world-hopping jutsu. I guess I need to start looking for rumors and legends about people from other worlds. ...Maybe I should just get used to living here. After all, is Sasuke not existing in this world really such a bad thing? Hmm... I think I could get to like it here. Me, Sakura, Kakashi, and... some other guy. That'll be a great Team Seven. I mean Five. And without Sasuke to show me up, I'll be able impress Sakura. And without Sasuke around, Kakashi will be able to train us properly. And maybe the new guy with be fun to hang out with. Oh! If I remember right, last time I ended up on a team with Sasuke because he was rookie of the year. So this other guy should know what he's doing. Yeah, this isn't so bad. It's just the second chance I've been looking for. So what if giant robots fight giant monkeys just outside the village? As long as they keep it outside the village, it shouldn't be a problem. And if it becomes a problem, I can always summon Gamabunta to kick them in line. Yeah, this'll be great.' His resolve restored, Naruto stood up, flushed the toilet, and went to the sink to wash his hands.

0o0o0

As he arrived at the academy, he spotted most of the other students already waiting for their new jounin instructors. Unfortunately, Sakura was not among them. 'Crap. Looks like Sakura isn't back from her meeting with Ino at that place for that thing yet. And I don't remember who the other person in my team is. Oh well. I'll just sit somewhere and hopefully he'll find me. Or Sakura will find him. Whatever.' Arbitrarily picking a seat next to the red-headed kid who'd bothered him earlier, Naruto leaned forward on his desk, mentally groaning about the wait he knew he'd have to endure. Within moments, the jounin instructors began arriving. '...NO WAY!'

As Iruka began calling the teams forward to meet their new jounin instructors, Naruto's eyes locked onto the figure of one Hatake Kakashi. Who had arrived on time. 'No way! That never happens! Ever! We had to wait forever for him to show up last time. Could it be? Could this world's Kakashi actually be... punctual?' Unbidden, a grin found its way to Naruto's face.

"Team Seven, you're with Hatake Kakashi."

"YES!" shouted Naruto, jumping to his feet. "Yes Yes YES YESYESYESYESYESYES! Woo!" Naruto's impromptu celebration was drawing a lot of attention, but he didn't care. He, Sakura, and that other guy were on Team Kakashi, and Sasuke wasn't there to steal the best training, and Kakashi was actually not always late in this world, and everything was going to be awesome! A tugging on his arm brought him back to reality, where he noticed he was getting a lot of confused looks. A quick look revealed the source of the tugging to be the red-haired boy next to him.

"Naruto, what are you doing?"

"Celebrating! I'm on Team Kakashi!"

The red-head looked confused. "No you aren't."

"What do you mean? They said Kakashi is the instructor for Team Seven. That means I'm on his team."

"...Naruto, you're on Team Five." Just like that, the smile vanished from Naruto's face. Slowly, he sank into his seat. At that point, the classroom erupted in laughter. Naruto began beating his head against the table before him.

0o0o0

Fortunately for Naruto, Sakura didn't arrive until after he'd embarrassed himself in front of all his former classmates. Or rather, almost all his former classmates. Three of them besides Sakura (Ino, Kiba, and some guy named Myoujin Yahiko) had also been late for the meeting with their new jounin instructors. This actually led to Kakashi giving Kiba a lecture on the importance of punctuality. For Naruto, this new world had never seemed more surreal.

Despite her tardiness, Sakura still managed to arrive before their new jounin instructor. 'Figures,' Naruto mentally griped. 'Even in an alternate world where Kakashi isn't always late, we still end up working with a tardy jounin.'

Eventually, even Iruka left, warning them that they might be waiting for a while. And so Team Five continued waiting.

For one brief, terrifying moment, Might Gai had entered the room after everyone else had left, but it turned out that he was just giving Sakura a written message from Lee. 'Probably a love letter. Man, that guy cannot take a hint. I almost feel sorry for ol' bushy brows.' Naruto didn't actually know the contents of the message, since it had been encoded, but with Lee it was a pretty safe bet. Especially since Sakura had seemed rather annoyed as she read it.

'Crap. Looks like we're having even more secret training after we meet with our new jounin teachers,' thought Sakura. 'Damn. I wanted to try to get a date with Negi. For the sake of learning more about our teammates, of course. Or so I was going to tell him. But so much for that plan.' As Sakura mentally lamented the loss of her chance at a date, even Negi started losing his patience.

'What kind of jounin would show up over half an hour late to his or her first meeting with his or her new genin team? Is he or she going to be this late all the time? What kind of example is he or she setting for us? ...What if there's a reason our jounin instructor hasn't arrived yet? What if something happened? Maybe some paperwork was misfiled and they didn't get a jounin for our team. Maybe our jounin was accidentally sent on a mission. Maybe he or she died on that mission. What if we end up having to go back to the academy because no one is available to train us? ...Would that count as me failing to be a ninja? Would I still be able to become a magister magi?' Just as Negi was starting to work himself into a panicked frenzy, a voice came from the side of the room opposite to the door.

"Excuse me. Do any of you know how to get to the Konoha ninja academy?" The voice came from a black-haired man in a rather beat-up looking yellow shirt, a pair of green pants, and shoes that were bound to his pant legs by tightly wrapped cloth. On his head sat not a forehead protector identifying him as a shinobi of the leaf, but a yellow bandanna with black markings repeating in a pattern. The man carried a rather large pack topped with a crimson umbrella, and a rather large tooth was visible extending from his mouth.

Silence followed, as none of Team Five could figure out how to answer that question. Said silence was promptly misinterpreted.

"Oh no! I'm not in another village again, am I? Crap! My genin team is going to be so pissed."

Negi decided to act before Naruto blew up at the man that was apparently their jounin instructor. "No, you're in Konoha. This is the Konoha ninja academy. Does this mean you're our instructor?"

"Oh, thank Kami. I thought I'd never find my way here in time. So, I take it you're Team Five?"

Sakura managed to suppress her urge to yell at her new jounin instructor. 'On time my ass!' screamed her inner Sakura. 'What the hell was he doing? We've been waiting here for almost an hour!'

"On time MY ASS!" Naruto, on the other hand, did not do any suppressing whatsoever. "We've been waiting here for almost an hour! What the hell were you doing?"

Hibiki Ryouga mentally groaned as he prepared to explain his directional difficulties to his new students.