Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ A Christmas Wish ❯ Chapter 5

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Ken Akamatsu owns Negima
 
She comes to speak to me
I freeze immediately
'Cause what she says sounds so unreal

But somehow I can't believe
That anything should happen
I know where I belong
And nothing's gonna happen
 
Hugging her knees close to her chest, Setsuna buried her head in her arms. She felt numb and not just from the cold, but from what had happened. Now, she really had to depart from Konoka's company. `It was bound to happen sooner or later. Whether from my foolishness or through her marriage to someone, it would have happened. I guess it's better it happened now than further within the future. I doubt I could stand seeing her in another's arms even if she was never mine.' Setsuna looked down at her body to find most of body covered in sheets of snow.
She gazed up at the quarter moon. Taking a deep breath, a cloud of mist drifted away from her mouth. `I suppose I should talk with the Headmaster. I'll have to quit school and just watch Konoka-Ojousama from the distance like I should have done. My sensei was correct in saying to not get too close to your charge. It just seems that my feelings for her have only increased.'
Standing up, she dusted off her now numb, wet, and sore butt. `Why do I always take the most difficult of paths?' She started on her trek toward the Headmaster's office. Her every step caused snow to fall from her soaked uniform. `I guess the festival is over by now. It's almost one.' Even as late as it was, Setsuna knew the Headmaster would still be in his office. Sometimes it seemed that the Headmaster lived within his office walls.
A bitter smile fell across her lips. `Some things change while other things stay the same.' She quoted an old proverb in her mind. As she neared the school buildings, she headed straight for the main office building. Punching in the secret code, Setsuna opened the large door. An instance of warm air greeted her numb body; the prickliness of nerves coming alive once more told Setsuna how much she had neglected taking care of herself. The building itself was near empty save for a few security guards.
Setsuna took the stairs. She preferred even indoors to train her body whenever possible. She flexed her itchy, dry, cold hands causing a rush of warm blood to circulate through her body. It was a rude awakening for Setsuna. `I shouldn't have stayed out as long as I have. I'm surprised I don't have a severe case of frostbite.' Opening the door for the highest floor, she slowly walked through the darkened hallways, her shoes silently padding down the marble floor. Even as defeated as she felt, her body remained alert and focused.
Passing by a few more security doors and guards, she managed to reach her destination. She raised her fist and knocked with confidence. “Enter.” Konoemon's voice was clear and commanding as always. Pushing the door open, Setsuna kept her head slightly bowed in respect as she entered the office. “Setsuna, I don't believe tonight was your night for patrol.” He didn't sound surprised to see her, but Setsuna ignored that small fact.
“No, I did not come for a daily report, sir. I have something I need to discuss with you which is extremely urgent.” The Headmaster stopped whatever he was doing to give Setsuna his full attention; he entwined his fingers together on his desk as a sign for her to continue. “Sir, I believe that enrolling in the school was a mistake. I would like to discontinue my enrollment and continue my watch over Ojousama as I should have from the start of my mission.”
Konoemon remained silent, “Why the sudden change of heart?”
“I believe that I could better protect the princess if I was further, within her shadow.” Setsuna knelt on one knee before the Headmaster's desk and planted a fist near her for balance with her head bent.
“I see.” The Headmaster combed his beard with his hand as he contemplated the situation, “You do realize that Konoka will be upset by this news.”
“She will forget me soon as it should be.” A deep sadness welled within at the truth of those words.
“Is that what you want, Setsuna?”
Startled by his unexpected question, Setsuna didn't know how to answer, “I am not sure I understand what you mean, sir.” She kept her eyes glued to the carpeted floor.
“Do you want her to forget about you?”
“What I want does not matter. As long as Ojousama remains safe, happy, and alive, then my wants shall be fulfilled.”
“Konoka's safety and happiness is important to me as well; I don't think your disappearance from her life will make her happy.”
“…sir, she will learn.”
“Have you spoken with her about this?” Konoemon prodded warily.
“No, sir, I feel it would be best if she did not know. It would only make it harder for her.”
“Very well, Setsuna, if you believe protecting her from the shadows will increase Konoka's chance of remaining safe and alive then I hold no objections. I would strongly urge that you think your decision over a bit more. Such a decision cannot be reversed.” His normal calm voice turned cold.
“I understand. I have thought this over very carefully and believe this course of action is for the best.”
“Permission granted, you shall no longer be a student of Mahora. I'm sure I have no need to tell you of your duties.”
“No, sir, and thank you.”
“Dismissed.” Setsuna bowed to the Headmaster before standing up and walking out of the office. “I wouldn't thank me just yet.”
 
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
 
Setsuna headed for her room to pack what little she possessed as well as changing into more appropriate clothing. As she approached her door, her hand hesitated on the doorknob. A feeling that someone was waiting for her on the other side alerted her senses. Using her stealth and training, she cautiously opened the door. Her senses were on full alert. The room was completely dark. The moon's beams did not enter the darkened room for the curtains were pulled. A dark figure was sitting on her bed in plain sight. Whoever the intruder was, they were either incredibly cunning or stupid to be caught like that.
Setsuna didn't feel the presence to be threatening, but she kept her guard up. She learned from her sensei that she should never underestimate her opponent. Her hand slid against the wall as she flipped on the light. Shocked, she found Konoka staring at her from atop Setsuna's bed. `What is she doing here? She should be sleeping.'
As if reading her thoughts, “I couldn't sleep so I waited for you. After your sudden disappearance, I couldn't find you so I decided the best method was to wait for your return. What happened, Set-chan?”
“You shouldn't be here, Ojousama. You need to take better care of yourself.” Setsuna entered the room.
“Like you're one to talk.” Konoka muttered crossly. “You're soaked. Where have you been?” She quickly got up to grab a towel from the bathroom.
“I'm fine. You had an exhausting day today. You should rest; I'll escort you back to your dorm.”
“Set-chan, I want you to listen to me; I'm not going anywhere until you finally answer my questions. First though, you need to get yourself into dry clothes and warm yourself up.” Konoka wrapped the towel around Setsuna's shoulders and guided her to the bed.
“It's okay, Ojousama. I can do it myself. You should be in your room, sleeping.” Her voice was cold, `It's best that I begin a distant relationship with her. It would only become harder for the separation if I don't.'
Konoka's eyes showed a flicker of hurt, but she quickly masked it. She watched as Setsuna grabbed Yunnagi, which was lying against the bedpost, and prepared to escort her to her dorm room. “At least change into dry clothes. I don't want you to catch a cold.” She forced her arms to her sides as her bodyguard dried herself off with the towel.
“I'll be all right. Let's go, Ojousama.” They exited the room and turned right in the direction of Konoka's room.
“Set-chan, can we first make a pit stop? I forgot something on the school grounds.” Seeing nothing wrong with the request, the swordswoman nodded. Their trip was quiet as the two girls made their way back into the once lively festival, which was now a dark, empty, snowy field. The booths were put away as was most of the Santa platform. Konoka decided that it was late enough as it was and gave the workers the week off to be with their families. “So, what did you think of the festival?” Konoka's voice startled the stoic girl.
“It was nice.” Konoka headed up the stairs to the platform, searching for whatever she had forgotten.
“Wow. When you're up here, I've never realized how much of the festival you can actually see.” The energetic girl flashed a smile to the downcast eyes of her guardian. “Set-chan,' She waited until Setsuna looked up at her, “It's almost Christmas. You shouldn't look so gloomy on the holidays.”
“Did you find what you're looking for?” She immediately saw Konoka's smile vanish and the flash of hurt once more appeared in her eyes. Seeing it only made Setsuna's mood become darker, she was hating every second of this. For the first time in her life, she wished she was anywhere but with this girl. Tearing her eyes away from Konoka's piercing gaze, she forced her eyes to be on watch for any sign of danger to her charge.
She heard footsteps but knew Konoka's steps anywhere so she ignored it. A warm, fuzzy mitten grabbed hold of her hand. “Wha?”
“Set-chan, come with me.” She tugged on Setsuna earnestly, not caring whether the samurai wanted to or not. She then forced Setsuna down in the Santa chair; Konoka then sat on her knees before her. “We really need to talk, and you are going to listen to me. I don't want you to talk until I'm done. You will stay in this seat and listen. Not hear but listen! Everything I say to you, I want you to think about very carefully. Do you understand?”
Setsuna had never known Konoka to be this serious or assertive before. `She must want to talk about that gift.' Her heart once again began to pound violently against her chest. “Oj-“ Konoka held her gloved mitten against Setsuna's mouth to quiet her.
“I was being serious; I do not want you to talk until I say you can. That is an order from your Ojousama to her guard, understood?” Setsuna nodded. “Good.” Konoka closed her eyes and took a deep breath, “Do you remember when we first met?' Again, Setsuna nodded, “That must have been the happiest day of my life. You were my first friend. For those first magical months, you and I were carefree,' Konoka smiled fondly as the memories flooded through her mind before her smile once again disappeared, “but after that incident, everything changed for the worse. You disappeared and became distant to the point of ignoring me.”
Emotions washed across the healer's face that left Setsuna speechless, “Those were the loneliest days of my life. They were worse than before I had met you. After I was enrolled in Mahora, I made friends then you once again appeared in my life after so long of a separation. You have no idea how happy that made me; I believed that maybe everything could go back to the way it once was.”
Konoka felt the tears rushing to her eyes, but she wouldn't allow them to flow just yet. “You treated me as if I were a complete stranger to you.' Setsuna looked away unable to bear the truth of Konoka's words, “Then the Kyoto incident occurred and I admit I have never been more thankful for it. Because it brought us together again, I felt as if we were once again becoming what we once were. You showed me more about yourself that told me that I was more to you than just friends but best friends. After so many years of us graduating and making it to college together, I could not have asked for more.”
A tear slid down then another followed, “I thought we were best friends, Set-chan. Why are you starting to become distant again? I thought that we worked through our problems and dark secrets. I don't understand why you would suddenly want to leave me!” Now the tears fell unbridled as Konoka sobbed on Setsuna's lap, “Do you remember when I asked that you not wander away from me? You promised that you wouldn't. You can't leave me again!”
Konoka's cried her entire heart out to the girl and it tore Setsuna's heart into a bleeding mass. “Please don't cry, Ojousama.” Setsuna tried to console the weeping girl but she just didn't know how. She wasn't any good at the heart-to-heart stuff. Konoka was better at that. Even through all the years of opening herself up to the world, Setsuna still was an infant when it came to such emotional matters. How could she make Konoka understand that she left in order to protect her. That leaving now was the only way to protect Konoka. “I'm not doing it to hurt you; I'm doing it to protect you.”
“I don't need that type of protection, Set-chan. If you're hired to protect me then why do you leave when that is the one thing that will hurt me? I can survive physical injury, but I know I can't keep reliving through the same horrors of knowing you're not going to be by my side. Am I not good enough for you that you want to go away?”
“No, it's not that!” Setsuna yelled with determination, “Never think that! It is I that could never be good enough for you. You should have someone more worthy standing next to you.”
“STOP IT!” Konoka's looked up through red swollen eyes as the tears continued to flow, “I refuse to allow you to say such things.” Konoka grabbed Setsuna's face in-between her own, “I NEVER want to hear you utter those words again. When will you ever learn that the way you were born has nothing to do with anything?! Why can't you see that you're all that matters?! I will not allow you to put yourself down like that simply because of how we were born. Never once have I viewed you as something other than my best friend. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me, Set-chan. I thought that after all these years of being reunited that things might change into something different. You have no idea how happy you've made me when I discovered your present. It was the most beautiful present I've ever received.”
Full of unknown emotion, Setsuna remained silent all the while trying to figure out what Konoka was trying to say. Konoka reached in her coat pocket to pull out the black box and placed it on Setsuna's lap. Turning questioning eyes to Konoka, Setsuna wasn't sure now what to think or feel. “I want you to give it to me personally. After all, it was a gift you selected for me. It would only be fitting that you hand it to me personally.” Konoka wiped her eyes and nose with a handkerchief.
“Oj..”
“Kono-chan.”
Setsuna licked her chapped lips, “Kono-chan, I don't kno -“
“Set-chan, I know what it signifies.' Setsuna's face instantly flamed, “You're so shy that I knew that taking too big of a step would only scare you. I am willing to go as fast as you want with our relationship; I've waited so long for the day you would decide to up our friendship into something more. The only thing holding us back is your decision. I'm ready to go as far as you want with this. You have only to say the word.” Konoka removed a mitten to touch Setsuna's face. Setsuna watched in utter disbelief of what had transpired. Everything moved so quickly from wanting to guard Konoka all the way to now.
 
Yeah, Yeah
 
She felt Konoka's hand gently caressing her cheek as the healer slowly leaned toward her. Setsuna had a distinct idea what was going to take place, but she was too stumped to react. Konoka stood up. She leaned over as she placed a hand on the arm of the chair getting ever so closer.
Yeah, Yeah
 
Setsuna could feel Konoka's warm breath tickling her lips. Everything seemed to move in slow motion. Setsuna was sure this was all a dream. It had to be. Konoka would never have said such words. This hallucination could never become a reality. It was all too good to be true. There was no other explanation for this. Konoka's lips were merely centimeters away.
 
'Cause she's so high...
High above me, she's so lovely
She's so high...
Like Cleopatra, Joan of
Arc, or Aphrodite
 
Just when she thought nothing could get anymore confusing, Konoka pulled down the Santa beard and begun to kiss her. Setsuna's entire brain seemed to have shut down completely. After getting over her initial shock, Setsuna found herself responding. Never in all her life had she ever imagined that such a reaction would ever occur. The thought that this was all but a dream reigned in her mind, `If it is a dream, it wouldn't hurt to enjoy what is given.'
Setsuna didn't hold back any longer. The boundaries she placed upon herself dissipated, and she allowed her emotions to take complete control. Being only a dream, anything could happen. Leaning against Konoka to take full advantage of this moment, Setsuna drank hungrily. Her hands dug into Konoka's hair pulling her closer, the kiss Setsuna gave to Konoka revealed everything she felt and held back. She felt her heart rapidly piecing together the moment; a beautiful moment forever etched in the samurai's psyche. The salty taste of Konoka's tears mixed with the kiss only intensified her need to satisfy her dream.
Pulling away, Konoka smiled down at the dazed samurai. She sat herself on Santa's lap after placing the box on the armchair, “Are you going to give me my gift?” Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, Setsuna had a hard time getting over that kiss after all, she didn't want to stop but to continue until someone woke her.
“Uh, yeah!” Setsuna opened the box and presented the gift to her. “Kono-chan, will you go out with me?”
“Yes, Set-chan. I would love to go out with you.” Konoka hugged Setsuna with a fierce possessiveness. After so many years of fighting to achieve her dream, Konoka had finally reached it. Getting Setsuna to come out of her shell and even become a bit more affectionate was certainly a chore. So much planning had gone into finally getting what she wanted to become a reality. “Thank you so much.”
Setsuna wrapped her arms awkwardly around her princess. Even if it was a dream, she was still shy about being so affectionate. “I don't want to wake up.” Setsuna snuggled her face against Konoka's chest as Konoka cradled her guardian like a mother would comfort a child. “You're so warm, Kono-chan.” She whispered as she pulled the healer closer to herself feeling her body relax into the intoxicating scent and warmth of her beloved.
“Set-chan, this is no dream.” Konoka smiled warmly down at her now confused lover while running her fingers through the half demon's hair. Eyes widen, Konoka couldn't stifle the giggle, “Should I pinch you?” Setsuna's face rivaled Rudolph's nose as she pulled her face away from Konoka's chest. “You're so cute when you blush.” Konoka kissed the half demon's forehead. “Don't worry. Your Christmas present should be ready by Christmas Day.”
“Oj..I mean Kono-chan, I've already told your grandfather about-“
“I know and you don't have to worry. Do you honestly believe that after all these years, I wouldn't know your habits and actions? You're so predictable that it's ridiculous.”
“You've thought of everything, haven't you?”
Konoka gave Setsuna a sly grin, “Maybe.”
A gust of cold, biting wind blew passed them causing both girls to shiver, “We should head back in. I can't afford to have you get sick.” The two girls made their way hand-in-hand back to the dorms. When Setsuna was about to turn toward Konoka's room, Konoka stopped her.
“It's late already and I don't want to wake Asuna and Negi. Let's head for your room. You don't have a roommate.” She whispered. Once again, Setsuna's face turned red. With a smirk, Konoka tugged on her knight's hand. “My, Set-chan isn't quite as innocent and naïve as I thought. As I told you before, I'm willing to go as fast as you want. Beside, I'm too exhausted for anything more than cuddling and sleeping with you.' Konoka winked as an evil thought entered her mind, “But, maybe in the morning when you're up for it we can relive that fantasy you're envisioning in your dirty mind.”
Setsuna nearly fainted. `She says I have a dirty mind? For a princess, she seems to have a wilder imagination than me.' The two girls entered the empty dorm room. Without turning on the light, they simply took off their boots and coats while Setsuna quickly changed into dry pajamas before lying in bed. Facing each other, the two heartbeats moved in-sync as their eyes drifted shut and visions of endless possibilities filled their dreams.
 
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
 
In the distant, velvet sky, a lone sleigh, and a jolly laughing man crossed the pale moon. The crisp sound of bells resonated throughout the night sky with each movement of the reindeer. A familiar, aged voice shouts into the sky as he slowly becomes disappears into unknown space and time, “Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! HO! HO! HO!”
 
She's so high...
High above me
 
AN: Merry Christmas, everyone!! Here is my gift to you! I hope you all had gotten what you asked for from family and friends. Anyway, I doubt I would receive reviews today since everyone will be enjoying a lovely Christmas dinner and playing with their new-found presents. I no doubt will be doing the same. If you could, for keeping up with the Christmas cheer, leave a review to let me know what you thought about the series and chapter. What better gift from my readers than receiving a review? Anyway, I would like to express a deep thanks to my readers who have stuck with the series from chapter one to five and reviewed faithfully all the way through. : Bows to you out of deep respect :