Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Ala Alba in the World of Magic: Tales From the Fireside ❯ Chap 02: The Haunted Photographer - Part 1 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Magister Negi Magi is owned by Ken Akamatsu and Kodansha Ltd. Tokyo in Japan, and by Funimation and Ballantine - DelRey in the United States, NOT by me.

SPOILER ALERT! Do not read this story if you are not familiar with chapters 189 and up from the raws or scanslated manga!

---

"I think the time I was scared the most was just after the forced teleportation. All alone in a new world, with no chance to get on my feet, I was so lost at first I thought Sayo and I might actually wind up spending eternity together!"
-Kazumi Asakura. Author of: "One Million Steps : A Journey to Megalo-Mesembria and the World Beyond."

---

Chapter Two: The Haunted Photographer - Part 1.

Kazumi Asakura always wondered what they felt, those who took the really notable pictures, when they took those pictures.

The flag raising on Mount Suribachi.

The dead and wounded students at Kent State.

The fireman carrying the limp body of a dead child after the terror bombing in Oklahoma City.

Now she knew.

They felt nothing.

Oh, maybe afterwards, looking at the images in hindsight, they felt something, but in the act of taking the picture itself? Not a thing. As if their hands were not their own, but those of fate, or destiny.

Kazumi Asakura's encounter with destiny came at the Gate Port to Megalo-Mesembria in the World of Magic.

Instead of following half of their group outside to wonder at the sight of the Magical World's capital city, she stayed inside. Taking out her camera, she did routine things to make sure it was ready, then just stood and watched as her teacher Negi Springfield was greeted by immigration officials as the son of Nagi Springfield, the famous Thousand Master.

Moments after finding out several uninvited students from his class had managed to make the trip to the Magical World, Negi suddenly became very agitated. Quickly moving about, every bit the leader the Ala Alba, he began warning everyone in the Gate Port to be alert against some threat she could not perceive.

In truth, she did not even see what happened next. Raising her camera, she focused it on Negi's worried face.

The clicking of the shutter, the cutting off of her view through the eyepiece, and the meaty thud all occurred in the same instant.

Her shock at seeing Negi pierced through the shoulder with a stone spear was so complete, all she could make her body do was take a few more pictures as he fell to the ground and began bleeding heavily.

Asuna Kagurazaka knocking her aside while running to help Negi broke through the paralyzing hold of the shock, and instilled in it's place an emotionless professional detachment. Even as panic warred vainly with rationality for control of her body, she quickly brought the camera back into almost continuous use.

Many images burned themselves into her mind before the click of the camera's shutter cut them off.

Other students rushing to assist Asuna.

The white-haired boy from Kyoto and two of his companions pummeling the unarmed members of Ala Alba as they tried to defend their dying teacher and each other.

Kaede Nagase trapped in some kind of magical sphere.

Kotaro Inugami knocked senseless by some small swordsman.

Setsuna Sakurazaki beaten bloody.

The White-haired boy gloating about the weakness of the Ala Alba and threatening to petrify Setsuna.

Negi Springfield, rising despite mortal wounds, to show the white-haired boy all things would not go his way that day.

A renewed and finally armed Ala Alba at last able to defend itself against the attacks of the white-haired boy and his companions.

Konoka Konoe finally healing the wounded Negi.

The suddenly noticed actions of one of the white-haired boy's companions near a support pillar of the Gate Port.

The white-haired boy's parting shot at Negi.

The beginnings of the flash of magical light that separated her from all of her friends...

Kazumi Asakura the reporter knew her camera's memory card now held much important information about what happened in the Gate Port. For Kazumi Asakura the person however, for her, for what the white-haired boy had done in Kyoto, for what he had done to Negi Springfield and her friends in the Gate Port, for her, the camera held REVENGE.

---

Of course, to have that revenge she would have to survive. At the moment, with two saber-toothed, wolf-like creatures hungrily circling the base of the evergreen tree she was somewhat precariously perched in, continued survival seemed quite problematic.

"Go away you ugly critters! Despite my breasts, I'm sure I'd be too skinny and stringy to make you a good meal!"

"Asakura-san, I don't think they care about that..."

Kazumi sat back against the trunk of the tree. "Tell me about it Sayo-chan!" Looking out through the mildly swaying foliage at the setting sun, she sighed and reached up to give the little spirit-possessed Chibi-Sayo doll a reassuring pat. "At least they won't find you very appetizing!"

Sayo Aisaka gave an exceptionally upset squeak. "No! No! No! Don't say something like that Asakura-san! I don't want to be alone in a place like this! I can fly and move around in this doll, but I could never carry your camera with these little stubby hands! How would we ever prove what happened if you die?!?"

Kazumi watched the Chibi-Sayo float away from her shoulder, shaking her stubby little arms to emphasize her point as she did so. The serious image the ghost was trying to project became so ludicrous because of her tiny body it failed. Instead, Kazumi began laughing so hard she nearly fell out of the tree.

"Asakura-san! Be careful!"

Pounding her knee as a distraction and sucking in great, heaving breaths, Kazumi finally got her laughter under control. Clinging to a nearby branch, she wiped the tears from her eyes and looked back down at the wolf-creatures. "You hear that you mangy mutts!?! I have to take care of Sayo-chan and prove what happened! So why don't you just get lost!" Wishing she could just fly away, Kazumi gave her two furred stalkers a raspberry and a bird.

Not really understanding Kazumi's words, but knowing their cornered prey was being defiant, the two canine creatures started howling with a vengeance. With both of them so occupied with trying to upset Kazumi enough she fell from the tree, they failed to hear two arrows come in and strike the largest of the creatures in the chest. It stopped howling and turned to look dumbly at the shafts protruding from its side, took a step, and fell over dead.

Startled by the sudden silence of it's companion, the second creature hesitated for a moment, then turned to run. Before it could take more than a few steps, two more arrows hissed in from the darkening shadows of the forest undergrowth and left it in a dead heap next to the first.

Kazumi stared down at the suddenly silent wolf-creatures. Quickly deciding on the better part of valor, she began scrambling higher into the tree.

"Asakura-san, what's wrong?"

Kazumi paused just long enough to stuff the floating Chibi-Sayo into a pocket of her raincoat before resuming her climb. When the foliage provided better cover from the ground, she pushed a struggling Sayo back into the pocket again and pulled herself as close to the tree's trunk as possible. "Hush! Who or whatever did that might be worse than those creatures!"

Sayo squeaked and dug herself deeper into the pocket. Faint sounds and unfamiliar words from below hinted at possible salvation, or something that might be worse.

"Eeww! I don't think I'll ever get used to what these guys smell like when they die!"

Even if she didn't understand the language, the sound of a feminine voice pulled Kazumi away from the tree's trunk. By leaning out a bit, she could just make out the scene below.

Two seemingly female humanoids, one with fair hair, cat-like features, and dressed in forest colors like some form of hunter, was holding her nose and poking at a wolf-corpse with a booted foot. The other, dressed in long, slightly more colorful but still muted robes, had long, dark red hair, and the pointed ears and tail of a fox. Despite her holding two bows, the fox-person's posture seemed to indicate she was a mage like Negi Springfield. When the maybe mage began to speak, her husky voice reminded Kazumi of her friend Madoka Kugimiya.

"I wonder what's hiding up in this tree that had these two so worked up?"

Kazumi leaned out a bit more to try and get a better view and lost her grip on the tree. Letting out a yelp before she could stop herself, she fell in a manner truly dangerous only if she'd been male. Quickly grabbing the tree trunk again, she screwed her eyes shut and started desperately hoping she hadn't been noticed.

In the raincoat's pocket, Sayo had her little stubby hands clasped together and was whispering fervently in prayer. "Asakura-san's a tree! Asakura-san's a tree! Asakura-san's a tree!"

Looking up at the now obvious and visibly shaking raincoat hiding up in the tree, Kit-Jin mage T'fa Kij'tsu smiled and looked over at his Nek-Jin partner R'th Y'mi. "Someone that frightened of us can't be too much of a threat. I'll go get them down before they fall down!"

A polite cough brought Kazumi's head around to see the smiling face and person of the fox-like humanoid, quite obviously a mage, floating a polite distance away. Trying not to fall again, she raised a hand in what she hoped was a friendly gesture. "Heh... heh... Uh... HI!"

tsuzuku

---

Author's notes:

This is the first real 'Chapter' in what I intend to be a continuing expansion of the brief AU story of the Ala Alba presented in; "Chapter One: Tales From the Fireside - Ala Alba in the world of Magic."

The Chapters, some in multiple parts, some in single parts, will have continuity together within Chapter One, but will not necessarily have linear continuity with each other. The Ala Alba members are scattered all over the World of Magic, thus it is my purpose to present stories about all of them that come together at the final battle for the Megalo-Mesembrian Gate Port.

I do better at descriptive stories, and am a little weak at conversational stories, but I hope you'll bear with me and enjoy my AU take on the adventures of Negi and crew in the World of Magic!