Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Demon of Mahora ❯ Realization ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Terrible Realization.
I no own Negima.

When Group 5, Eva, Chachamaru, and Kazumi left the hotel to meet with the Elder for something Brent went along as well walking right next to Kazumi.

“Hey Brent-san.” Setsuna whispered.

“Yeah what is it?” Brent replied.

“When we get back to Mahora you’re going to tell us about your abilities.” Setsuna said.

“Sure.” Brent replied.

They found the Elder dressed in a business suit smoking a cigarette.

“Hello all.” He greeted them with a wave “Got some rest, I hope?”

“Don’t need it!” Brent said loudly.

“Has it gone well Mistress?” Chachamaru asked.

“Very well.” Eva replied happily.

Setsuna bowed slightly and Konoka made a surprised sound.

“Whoa check out the civvies…!” Asuna exclaimed.

“Hey there Elder!” Negi shouted.

When they reached him Konoka quickly rushed over to him.

“Smoking bad.” She said as she snatched the cigarette from his hands.

”It’s this way-a small three story structure.” He said motioning behind him.

Brent never left Kazumi’s side as they followed the Elder down a path into the woods towards Negi’s father’s house. He remembered meeting the man during the Great War and had found the man… eccentric but fun to be around. He had heard of Brent and had come to try and convince him to join his side. Brent had refused stating that regardless the outcome the ruling magic council would find something bad that happened near him and frame it on him. He felt Kazumi take his hand and lean against him a little as they walked.

“Brent-kun… I was wondering.” She whispered “If you’ll live for thousands of years… what will you do when Ku Fei and I eventually die of old age?”

If Brent wasn’t so hurt by this realization he’d laugh at himself. He had never thought much beyond finding someone special. He frantically tried to think of something and only just remembered a ritual his father had mentioned once that could turn a human into a half-demon but didn’t remember anything about it.

“My father once mentioned a ritual that could help… but I don’t remember anything about it.” Brent whispered sadly “I was told it would make a human into a half-demon but I don’t know if you’d want that done to you.”

Kazumi kissed him on the cheek.

“If it will let me live alongside you I’ll do anything.” She said lovingly.

Brent smiled a little and wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her close. They soon reached Negi’s fathers house and the Elder unlocked it and invited them in. Inside the place was quite large… and full of books. Haruna and Nodoka’s eyes got starry and they both looked like they went to heaven.

“Look at all the books…!” Haruna said giddily.

“So modern! So bright! So… clean!” Asuna commented.

“We’ve kept it just the same as when he was here last.” The Elder explained.

Haruna, Nodoka and Yue started to excitedly climb one of the ladders used to reach high books.

“Should they be…?” Eva asked.

“What they don’t know won’t hurt them.” The Elder said before shouting “um… ladies? Do unto others property as you’d have done unto yours, all right?”

As the others explored Brent walked over to the Elder.

“Elder would you happen to know if there are any books focusing on demon tribes or legendary blades?” he asked.

“I’m not sure Brent-san you’d have to look.” The Elder replied.

Brent thanked him and moved to the large bookshelf and started examining titles. Most of them were in languages he understood with one or two in an odd language. Several of the books were in English or Japanese and he couldn’t see the titles higher up on the ceiling high bookshelf since Haruna and Nodoka were still using the ladder. He saw something just out of sight that looked promising and approached the two excited girls.

“Excuse me but may I use the ladder for a second Nodoka-san, Haruna-san?” he asked.

“Sure Brent-kun!” Haruna said happily “and please just call me Paru.”

“Thank you and I will Paru-san.” Brent replied.

He slid the ladder into the position and climbed up to examine the title and smiled. The book was five inches thick and a half foot tall with a blue leather cover, back and spine. The title and author were inlaid with gold and read ‘Legendary, Sacred, Cursed, and Magical blades of the World’ and was written by William Lewiston Longview the VI. He pulled the heavy book off the shelf and leapt to the floor and walked over to a sofa Kazumi was sitting in and plopping down next to her and started reading. The book was obviously ancient since it was written on parchment, the leather was cracked, and the ink was faded in some places. As read it he heard the group start talking about Negi’s father and looked up making sure Haruna or Yue wasn’t around.

“I met Nagi once during the great war… nice guy completely nuts but in a good way… tried to get me to join his side but I had to decline.” Brent said without looking up from his book.

“You did?” Konoka said.

“Why did you have to decline?” Negi asked.

“The ruling magic council has always seemed to have a vendetta against me and my brothers which seems to be traditional since each new council has it and they always try to frame things on us… they especially hate me for some reason.” Brent explained “So if I helped they would eventually accuse me of something.”

Everyone nodded before continuing their conversations. Brent found the book a wealth of knowledge though a little inaccurate when it came to some of the swords. Of the three thousand swords described in it he had found about twelve of them and found the descriptions of two of those twelve inaccurate. Each of his brothers collected different things; Averus had the oddest collection but most likely the only one that would be appreciated. He collected the souls of defeated demons by storing them in glass beads which meant that they would be unable to be resurrected. Falco collected guns though where he kept them he didn’t know and Brent collected magical, legendary, cursed and sacred swords. He had found the info on Kensei’s swords before looking through it for another sword.

“Hmm… that’s odd?” Brent muttered

“What’s odd?” Kazumi asked.

“This book should contain information on almost every sword I have an interest in… but there’s this sword that appeared in my hand when I was in the lake, and somehow became a tattoo on my wrist.” Brent explained “But this sword is not in it! I know it‘s very old so it should be in it!”

“Really?” Kazumi stated with interest.

A few minutes later Kazumi grabbed her camera and pulled Brent to where the rest of the group was at.

“Okay, okay, enough with the secret talks, already.” She shouted happily “They know you’re here Yuetchi… sheesh.”

Yue had been eavesdropping on their conversation but apparently was found.

“Everybody downstairs it’s time for the ‘commemorative photo’” Kazumi shouted happily.

“‘Commemorative photo?’” Eva asked.

“Your’s is the only group I haven’t done yet.” Kazumi shouted excitedly.

“Th-then you don’t need me too-" Eva started to say.

“Eva-chan be a sport, huh?” Kazumi interrupted.

“Hey! Leggo my head!!” Eva shouted from a headlock.

As Kazumi took the picture Brent thoughts wandered.

At the train station the next day the entire class was chatting excitably as per usual when Shizuna shouted out.

“All right, everyone. We’re about ready to leave… and should be back at Mahora Academy by noon.” Shizuna said happily before shouting “Did everyone have a nice field trip?”

Everyone but three shouted yes. Chisame, despite having opened up some still wasn’t very social, was scowling, Yue who was unreadable and Brent.

“Yoohoo, Negi-sensei?! If we could get a few words please…?” Shizuna shouted in a sing-song voice.

“Huh?... Uh, sure!” Negi shouted.

He dashed towards the front and tripped on a backpack.

“OWW…” Negi while several of the girls plus Brent laughed at him.

“Negi-sensei?!” Ayaka shouted.

“You okay, Negi-kun?” Makie asked.

“Poor sensei…!” Shizuna said.

They boarded the train with little problem and soon were on their way back to Mahora.
Most of the class fell asleep almost immediately but Brent was not among them. His mind was too restless to fall asleep but he had a sleepy Ku on his left shoulder and a drowsy Kazumi on his right.

‘Why? Why would she give up her life just to be with me? Could she really love me that much? I don’t understand it. It’s not worth giving her life up just to be with me?’ He thought miserably.

Ku was watching Brent’s expression with heavy lidded eyes as she tried to figure out what he was thinking but eventually gave up.

“Brent-kun… what’s wrong? You look sad and confused.” Ku said sleepily.

“Nothing Ku. Just thinking about things.” He replied.

“What kind of things?” Kazumi asked.

Brent looked around to make sure everyone was still sleeping.

“I was thinking about that ritual I mentioned yesterday…” Brent said quietly.

“What ritual?” Ku asked.

“Yesterday I realized that I’d live for thousands of years after you’d die… and remembered a ritual my father mentioned that would turn you into a half-demon and Kazumi wants it performed on her so we can be together.” Brent explained sadly “But I can’t let either of you do that… you both has to much to lose from it. I’ll find someone else OW!”

Suddenly Brent was hit on the back of the head by two fists before he was kissed on both cheeks.

“I don’t care. I’m going to do it so I can be with you.” Kazumi said as she started to nod off again.

“I do ritual too.” Ku said in a happy but sleepy tone “So I can be with you!”

Brent sighed still unsure if he could do such a thing to his angels.

“Brent-kun could you please sing that song for me?” Ku asked drowsily.

“What song?” Brent asked as Kazumi began to breathe slowly.

“That lullaby… I liked it.” Ku said.

“Sure.” He replied.

Ooooo oooooo ohoohohooOoooo ohooohoo oooohooOoooo ohoohooo oohooooOohooo oohoooho oooohoOoooo oooooo ooooooOoooo oooooo oooooo
Somewhere over the rainbowWay up highAnd the dreams that you dreamed ofOnce in a lullaby ii ii iiiSomewhere over the rainbowBlue birds flyAnd the dreams that you dreamed ofDreams really do come true ooh oooohSomeday I'll wish upon a starWake up where the clouds are far behind me ee ee eehWhere trouble melts like lemon dropsHigh above the chimney tops that’s where you'll find me ohSomewhere over the rainbow bluebirds flyAnd the dream that you dare to, why, oh why can't I? i iiii
Well I see trees of green andRed roses too,I'll watch them bloom for me and youAnd I think to myselfWhat a wonderful world
Well I see skies of blue and I see clouds of whiteAnd the brightness of day
I like the dark and I think to myselfWhat a wonderful world
The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the skyAre also on the faces of people passing byI see friends shaking handsSaying, "How do you do?"They're really saying, I...I love youI hear babies cry and I watch them grow,They'll learn much moreThan we'll knowAnd I think to myselfWhat a wonderful world (w)oohoorld
Someday I'll wish upon a star,Wake up where the clouds are far behind meWhere trouble melts like lemon dropsHigh above the chimney top that's where you'll find meOh, Somewhere over the rainbow way up highAnd the dream that you dare to, why, oh why can't I? I hiii?
Ooooo oooooo ooooooOoooo oooooo ooooooOoooo oooooo ooooooOoooo oooooo ooooooOoooo oooooo ooooooOoooo oooooo oooooo

When he finished both Ku Fei and Kazumi were sound asleep against his shoulder. He smiled and let himself drift off to sleep.

Dream
Brent stood in a white circle of light surrounded by darkness he could not see through. He quickly realized that he was dressed as Kaore

Boy!” Several sinister voices said at once.

Brent spun around trying to find the source of the voice but couldn’t.

We will require your assistance in the near future for a matter beyond your understanding. We will make a better world for those like yourself but require you and your brothers assistance to do so.” The voices said.

Brent looked around as seven pairs of glowing red eyes appeared around him before waking in a sweat.

-Meanwhile-

"Tell me again... why are we going to Mahora?" Falco asked Averus.

The two of them were sitting crossed legged across from each other having a conversation, or rather Falco was talking and Averus would reply every so often.

"Because there's something unsettleing about this and it seems we're all in dager from something." Averus explained.

"Fine than answer me another question." Falco said.

"What?" Averus sighed.

"WHY ARE WE ON THE ROOF OF THIS DAMN TRAIN?!" Falco shouted.