Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Fan Fiction ❯ Movements ❯ 03 - First Move ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Most advanced civilizations found out about dimensions as the last frontier beyond space. Dimensions are sometimes considered as 'alternate realities' due to the similarities between each other. It was known that one can sometimes find alternate dimensional versions of themselves with eerily similar background. While that might be true, scientists have recognized that just because they look similar, share similar names and are supposed to be cross-dimensional forms of themselves, no two person are the same. This had been best proven through the 'Thousand Thomas Tea' of Golk Year of the Itching Chimpanzee when eccentric billionaire Thomas Wayne of Dimension Golk invited all known versions of himself, from female to beggar to his mansion for tea. Invited scientists and sociologists from everywhere had a field day researching about cross dimensional relations on that day. Sadly, the day ended in tragedy with one of the versions turned out to be somewhat suicidal and dimension-phobic.
 
Extract from 'Devious Dimensions', part of the 'Horrible Science' collection
 
Just a couple of minutes ago, the sun still cast its orange glow on the evening sky. Before one knew it, everything gave way to the darkness of the night. Then like fireflies, the city came back to life, electrical lighting bursting to life to the crackling of electricity by themselves one by one. Soon, a million dots of lights could be sighted from the dark countryside, flickering just slightly due to the distance.
 
Gabriel never really liked the dark; especially if the dark was too dark for sight. However, the night darkness was the time of choice for operations; he was counting that his targets like him would not see too well either. But it was always nice to have some light...
 
Hovering in midair on top of his staff, blended into the surrounding black sky, he looked into the darkness of the countryside through the slits of the featureless mask over his face. There was little street lighting here to light the surroundings. Where there was light, there were hundreds of annoying, buzzing insects fluttering around in hypnotized daze.
 
Strange. The cottage was still there, fully intact. He swear that he did accidentally destroyed around half of it that day in his desperate bid to escape the fury of the cat familiars. He was impressed. Those mages were good, but that would also make his work much harder.
 
If the cottage was back, those cat familiars might be back too. Sure, he was more prepared this time; they could be just as more prepared. Gabriel felt in the pockets of his robe for those items he brought. Hopefully these would give him the upper edge but it would be better to avoid confrontation.
 
There was no light in the cottage, maybe the occupants were asleep. Hopefully not away. 'Away' usually meant that there would not be any of those artifacts to steal to make the stone.
 
Circling around the cottage quietly, Gabriel lower the altitude of the staff and landed at the side of the cottage. That place he remembered as that old mage's bedroom. It was the only part left not too damaged from his previous visit. If there was any magical artifacts, it would most likely be there. Slower, carefully, the thief crept towards the cottage, avoiding the most direct route where he could be seen from the window. Closer and closer, avoiding even rustling the grass, then there was a brief shimmer.
 
The quaint cottage had disappeared, leaving behind the scene he last remembered lying in perfect ruins before him. Somewhat taken aback, he took a step back. There was the cottage again. A step forward again. Ruins. At the back of his mind, he was even more impressed by these people. This illusion had worked well enough to have him fooled, it was even somewhat cool.
 
Yet, there was no time to stand there, basking in the 'coolness' or 'niftiness' of this magic. Just because the cottage was actually in ruins did not meant there was no one. Those cat familiars might still be in there. Waiting for the thief to return to the scene of crime.
 
The thief kept close to what was left of the walls of the cottage, hidden in the shadows as he made his quiet way to the windows. Silently, Gabriel used his staff to push the window open. Then grabbing the ledge, he hoisted him up and let himself into the room through the opening. He landed softly on the wooden floor, the ends of his robe landed lightly behind him. With a cursory check on his staff's stability to keep the window open, he surveyed his surroundings.
 
There was no one in the room. There was nary a sound in the ruins except for the singing crickets in the fields. Then there was the conversation going on outside the room, accompanied by laughter.
 
There were people around! Gabriel stopped his movement, slowed his breathing to avoid any noise that might alert those people. Then he stood up with care, making his way silently towards the door way. Hiding himself behind the door, he strained his ears to catch what those people was saying.
 
I was so young then. That was when I met him, Chrono's father... Have you found anything?” A lady.
 
No, Admiral Lindy. I think we should check the bedroom,” The younger sounding voice replied.
 
Gabriel did not really understand the language they were speaking in. Some foreign language, probably Asian from its sound. He did not want to risk discovery to peek out; most of the artifacts should be in this room anyway.
 
From his position, he could see the bed, the desk, the wardrobe... usual bedroom stuffs. Just where could an old mage keep any magical stuffs? Most likely they were all taken with him, but there might just be a chance that something got left behind. Then there was those people out there; they might be mages of the same association, with magical artifacts of their own. His hands reached into his robe and slowly pulled out a thin wand. If he ambush them fast enough, he might be able to knock them out before...
 
Footsteps. Worse. Approaching footsteps. Those people were coming towards the room.
 
For a while, Gabriel panicked. The staff! It was still at the window!
 
Mea Virga,” he whispered without thinking, pointing the wand towards his staff. The staff shook briefly in response, then it came flying across the room, into his open hands.
 
Then the window came down with a deafening crash. Wincing to the noise, Gabriel cursed his lack of consideration. If they were not already coming, that crash would have attracted those people outside.
 
Sure enough, there was shouting followed by running, approaching footsteps.
 
Gabriel tightened his grip of the staff in anticipation. There was no place nor enough time for him to hide save for... he turned his attention towards the wardrobe. This was so not his day.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
Bardiche 'Assault' Set up!”
 
The triangular intelligent device crackled with electrical energy in Fate's hand as she ran towards the room.
 
'Set up,' the computerized voice replied as the black mechanisms of Bardiche materialized and assembled themselves into her staff within seconds. The barrel spun with a whirl for a system check before the device announced, 'Barrier jacket set up.'
 
Her civilian clothings gave way for the lighter, more maneuverable barrier jacket. The intelligent device attached itself to the glove of her right hand. Armored glove formed around her other hand along with the stockings and metal boots at her legs. As Fate stepped into the bedroom, her black cape formed from neck down, appearing like a wave of black around her.
 
'Set up complete.' The entire process only took seconds.
 
Thank you, Bardiche,” Fate replied as she looked at the room that laid before her. Nothing seemed touched. There did not seem to be anyone in the room. Could it had been the wind?
 
It is not the wind,” Admiral Lindy said levelly as she entered the room, “The window was supposed to be shut in the first place. Someone was here” She switched her attention towards the wardrobe to the right. Walking towards it, she placed a hand on the handle. Then she looked at Fate knowingly, pointing towards it and placing a finger to her lips to signal silence. Fate nodded and leveled Bardiche towards the wardrobe, ready for battle.
 
Then suddenly without any sign, Admiral Lindy opened the door of the wardrobe.
 
There was a tense moment.
 
Then Fate gave a sign. There was no one in there. Just some of Graham's clothings and some other stuffs. Seeing that Fate had relaxed, Lindy looked into the wardrobe and reached into it, removing a box from within.
 
Curious, Fate walked towards the Admiral to see what she had retrieved. It was a wooden box with intrinsic designs carved onto it. Holding the box, Admiral Lindy smiled fondly and with nostalgia.
 
What's in it?” Fate asked, studying the strange design of the box.
 
Something precious,” Admiral Lindy replied, dusting it with a fond look. Then she looked towards Fate delightedly, “Let me show it to you.” She proceed to open the box carefully. Fate came closer to get a better look at what was inside, what had invoked so much fondness in Admiral Lindy.
 
That was when they heard the rustling sound.
 
That was quickly followed by the dropping of a couple of pellets. They bounced on impact with the floor, once, twice, drawing the attention of the Bureau mages.
 
"Unus Fulgor Concidens Noctem, In Mea Manu Ens Inimicum Edate"
 
A blast of white electricity coursed from above, striking the pellets with an illuminating white energy. For a moment, Fate could make out someone, wearing a smooth mask of pure white clinging on to the ceiling above, a hand holding on to a wand which had released the magical blast.
 
Then the pellets exploded with a blinding white light.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
He had not expected that 'Spiderman' trick to work but it did. Gabriel could hear the crashing sound he made when he dropped to the ground with his eyes closed. Those flash pellets should have blinded those people temporary. The cries of surprise confirmed that.
 
The blinding effect would not last long, but it would just be enough... Opening his eyes, he made a lunge towards his target, that wooden box which the lady was holding. The lady tried to tighten her grip on it but Gabriel was too fast.
 
With a swift action, he swiped the box and made a run for it. Whatever was in the box should be something of decent value for the lady for the box to be so elaborately decorated. If there was a magical artifact in here, that would be it.
 
Tucking the box into his robe, he leapt onto his staff and mentally ordered it to fly. Go as far, as high, as fast as possible. He had to make himself scarce; be as far away from the ruins as possible. The chase would soon start- There was a shout from the room, sounded like an order.
 
Running. The younger mage emerged, holding on to that battle-axe-liked staff. No wings. However, he had learnt never to underestimate these mages. With what look like a leap, the girl levitated into the air.
 
The mature, lady mage appeared outside the room. She seemed like the superior, probably around the same age as his mother. She was using a communication device, must be calling for reinforcements.
 
The pursue was on.
 
Faster, faster! He urged his staff. The girl was catching up. Fast. As if she had rocket boosters to her feet. Her cape billowed in the wind as she narrowed the distance between herself and Gabriel. Close enough for him to hear her quiet magical commands.
 
Sonic form.”
 
Taking the risk, Gabriel turned to look at his pursuer. Her cape along with the bulkier armor on her dissipated into the wind in a shower of yellow sparks. Wings, tiny yellow wings appeared at her boots and arms. With a sudden burst of speed, the blond mage zoomed forward, swinging her staff towards him.
 
Up! He griped the staff and pulled it upwards, narrowly avoiding the swing of the staff. He was now flying upwards, gaining altitude as he climbed the sky. No time to think. Escape as far as he could.
 
The girl was no where in sight.
 
Oh shi- she appeared before him, swinging the staff at him again. Too late to dodge. The only way-
 
Gabriel threw himself off his staff to avoid the attack. Falling from the sky, he could see the staff plunging into the countryside downwards as it lost the direct magical control from Gabriel. The girl was speeding down towards him once again. A hand out-stretched towards him. To save him.
 
It was a nice gesture. Really. But he was not in the mood to get caught. Not when she needed the stone. He drew his wand from his robe.
 
Mea Virga!“
 
His staff stopped its descent from the sky, pausing as Gabriel took magical control over it again. It swung like a compass towards Gabriel and then sped towards him.
 
The girl was closer now. “Grab my hand!” she was shouting, in badly accented English. So they could speak English. With her so close up, she looked so young, probably around his age, give or take a couple of years. Despite her attacks, she seemed like a really nice girl too.
 
Too bad about his speeding staff coming from behind which she failed to notice.
 
Killing her was not what he had in mind. He pointed towards his speeding staff, just enough a warning. The girl diverted part of her attention towards where he pointed to, just enough for a reaction to avoid a direct hit from the incoming staff. Though not enough to fully avoid the fast moving staff from scrapping across her shoulder.
 
There was a cry of pain as the young mage was veered out of course. She spun out of momentum in the air before regaining stability. By then, Gabriel had caught his staff with a hand, holding on to it tightly as the staff continued its blind speeding to nowhere. The girl would survive. Right now, he needed to run
 
With a swing, Gabriel got himself back onto the staff. Mentally, he urged the staff to accelerate, to get as far away as possible. Lowering his body toward it to minimize air resistance. Destination did not matter. Distance was what mattered.
 
Actually... he could consider taking down that young mage for her magical artifact. As long as he was fast enough to do so before reinforcements arrived. As long as he was fast enough to bring the fight to familiar terrain.
 
It might just work-
 
The surrounding air glowed yellow with lightning. The crackle of electricity. A shout of “Photon Lancer!”
 
A brief glance confirmed that the girl had started throwing out magical balls of electricity at him. She was hovering in midair, her face a picture of calmness despite her wounded shoulder, the magical balls revolving around her while a yellow magical circle glowed faintly in the night sky at her feet with illegible symbols inscribed in it. He had seen those before, these were the symbols of whatever type of magic those people used.
 
They meant trouble. So the gloves were off... The magic trailed him like heat-seeking missiles, leaving behind a blazing trail of yellow light.
 
A weave to the right! Down! Accelerating down! As the treetops beckon, pull up to the left! He could feel his perspiration sweeping away into the wind as soon as they dripped from his temples, just as the combination of crashing and blitzing noise from the impact between tree and electric ball echoed at the back. There were still more coming behind him, plus the mage seemed to be conjuring up more.
 
Climbing the sky. Pure running was no longer an option. It would not be long before he was overwhelmed by all those magical attacks. Time to fight back.
 
Balancing on his speeding staff, he turned back to face the incoming magical attacks. Directed his wand towards them. Feel his magic coming to him, concentrating themselves at the tip of his wand. It was strangely trilling, pitting his skills against another.
 
The spell was a simple one, one taught to beginners for magical dueling. But very effective and popular among the duelists back in the academy.
 
Sagita Magica Septendecim Sagittae Fulguralis!
 
As he raised his voice at the last part of the enchantment, he could feel the magic bursting out of his wand like streamers from a popper, releasing seventeen electrically charged magic arrows, each one towards their intended targets. Each magic arrow went straight for a trailing magical ball, each one exploding on impact, neutralizing both itself and the target.
 
The rest of the magical arrows went for the pursuing mage herself. Gabriel directed the staff to fly reverse, keeping his eyes on his attack. The remaining arrows zig-zag across the night sky, before rushing head-on towards the young mage.
 
The mage did not even bat an eyelid. Coolly, she simply raised an open palm towards the incoming magic arrows. The arrows hit something and exploded.
 
When the dust cleared, the mage remained standing in mid-air, glowing circles of magical symbols forming a magical shield around her. She looked non the worse, ready to continue fighting.
 
Not a good idea to stay gawking. Gabriel forced the staff to accelerate. If he could reach the built-up city, he might have a better chance of winning. Without the barrier set-up, every single damage done remained done. Those mages should be less inclined to pull off too powerful a magical attack in fear of harming innocents or attracting too much unwanted attention.
 
The female mage was catching up again. He could hear a monotonous, robotic voice spoke, 'Load Cartridge. Haken Form.' A cranking sound as something was ejected and then loaded, followed by the hissing of emitted steam. Even more cranking sound as if gears were in movement. Finally ending off with an eruption of blitz and static.
 
Then he could hear another magical command from behind.
 
'Haken Saber!'
 
A swishing sound as though something was slicing through air. Approaching at a very fast speed. Too close for any form of comfort.
 
Taking another glance, he could see the spinning blade of electrical energy spinning through the air like a boomerang towards him. Swerving abruptly to the right, the blade past him by and continued spinning ahead.
 
Before he knew it, the blade made a turn in front and made its way back, just like a boomerang. To the left! Missing the blade narrowly, slicing off part of his robe that got caught in its path. The dark material of his robe fluttered its way down to the ground as he watch the blade returned and reattached itself onto the mage's staff.
 
A scythe. A damn scythe. A small voice in his head recognized the weapon was based on. The energy blade of the weapon cackled with pulsing energy.
 
The young girl lifted the weapon again and floated higher, gaining for precious upper ground. Then, she dashed towards him, swinging the energy scythe in a downward slash.
 
With a cuss, Gabriel tilted his staff and flew aside, barely avoiding the attack. Then, accelerating as fast as he could, he placed vital distance between him and the adversary before slowing down and turning back.
 
Escape! Run! His mind urged him. This girl was unlike the rest. She was too strong.
 
Then, what about the stone? His heart questioned. He needed to get that artifact of hers, even if it was a dangerous looking piece of work that could kill him if he make a wrong move.
 
He needed it to create the stone for her.
 
To save her.
 
For a while, neither of them moved, staring each other down.
 
He still balancing on his floating staff with his wand drawn, bidding his time to make a quick run for the approaching city lights.
 
She, levitating in midair without any form of support. Even more balls of electricity forming around her along with that familiar magical circle glowing at her feet. Her staff, now a scythe of blazing electrical blade.
 
Great, that was just too unfair.
 
Death was a cute girl in black; and she was on the other side.
 
---------------------------------------------