Mega Man Fan Fiction ❯ Mega Man Legends Beyond, Vol. 1: A New Era ❯ The Rescue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mega Man Legends BEYOND

Vol. 1: A New Era

Disclaimer: Any and all official characters belong to Capcom and Keiji Inafune. Any original, or cameo characters based off their official counterparts, were created by myself.

Chapter 1: The Rescue

It has been 5 months since the events at Elysium, when the brave Digger MegaMan Volnutt journeyed into space to save the planet from catastrophe at the hands of Elysium's revived Mother Unit, Sera. After a fierce battle, MegaMan came out victorious with the aid of Yuna, another Mother Unit who interrupted the first battle between MegaMan and Sera many years ago, and Yuna's Servitor Unit Gatz. Unfortunately, after the battle and Sera was stopped and saved, the three of them found themselves stranded on Elysium, since Gatz died helping MegaMan and he was their only way back. Data, MegaMan's mechanical monkey friend, found a way back and told those waiting for him of what happened.

Since then, MegaMan's friends have dedicated their time to building a rocket ship to travel to Elysium and rescue him. Even the Bonnes, a family of pirates that have been defeated numerous times by the blue-armored Digger, have lent their help to rescuing their former foe. Unfortunately, many attempts have been met with failure time and time again.

Now, 5 months later, the group has finally completed a joint-effort rocket…and after finally accepting advice from Data, the only one who made it to Elysium and back.

“It took us 5 whole months, but this time I'm certain that this is it.” A blonde, spiky-haired, teenage girl spoke while holding the blueprints to the newly-completed rocket. She is wearing a red, one-piece jumpsuit with multiple pockets. It was Roll Caskett, MegaMan's life-long friend and Spotter. She was looking up at a nearby rocket with multiple booster engines designed to get it out of the atmosphere and into space. “We've done all the simulation testing and scenarios. Unfortunately...” spoke up another teenage girl. She had long, dark brown hair cascading down her back, wearing a pink dress, glasses, and matching pink platform heels with a white lab coat over her dress. It was Tron Bonne, another mechanical genius like Roll.

MegaMan and the Casketts stopped them at Kattelox Island, foiling their many attempts and even causing their ship, the Gesellshaft, to be destroyed in an aerial battle. The Bonnes were foiled a year later, after teaming up with Glyde and his birdbots, to steal the keys to the Mother Lode.

“We don't have enough spare material for a trial run.” Tron continued, looking worried. Roll looked worried too, realizing that this completed rocket might be their last chance to rescue MegaMan. “So this is it...It's all or nothing in one attempt...” Roll continued. Neither of them were prepared for the realization of what was to happen. Roll thought about it for a while then came up with an idea.

“What about patching after a test launch?”

“It's no good. It would take us months just to even scrounge up enough parts to do simple patching, cost aside. We're really at our limit here.” Tron answered.

From 50 yards away, Barrel Caskett, Vernor Von Bleucher, and Teisel Bonne were sitting at a bench, watching the girls come up with every angle for a test and actual launch. “Hmmmm...only enough materials for a real launch, not a test...and no guarantee of even getting into space...those are not good odds.” the older Bonne said. “I agree.” Said Barrel, the older veteran Digger. He had raised Roll and MegaMan since they were very young when Roll's parents disappeared at Forbidden Island. “There's no guarantee of survival during the launch. But how long are they willing to wait, is the question.”

Meanwhile, Roll and Tron were thinking long and hard about weither or not to go ahead with the launch, knowing full well that they might not even survive the launch itself. It was after a few minutes that Roll heard a whisper. It was faint, but it was as if something...or someone...was telling her what she needed to hear. “You'll be fine. He cannot wait any longer.” the whisper said. Roll wasn't sure if she was just imagining the voice or if it was real, but she had just been given the confidence she needed as she slammed her fist onto the table with the rocket blueprints on it. The sound of the slam broke Tron out of her deep thought and look at Roll puzzled.

“We're going!” Roll said, full of confidence.

Tron looked at her worried and spoke up, “Are you sure? It might take about another year, but we could do a test launch to make sure the rocket works.”

Roll looked back at her with determination. “MegaMan might not have another year! Either we get him now or we'll never get him back!”

Her eyes started to swell up with tears, the thought of being without MegaMan forever...she couldn't bear it. She practically grew up with him like they were brother and sister. If there was even the slightest chance at getting MegaMan back...and maybe even reunite with her Mother...it was a chance she had to take...and it had to be now.

The next day...

All of the preparations were made, and all of the safety checks were completed by the Bonnes' Servbots. For being little robots, they surprised Roll, Barrel, and Von Bleucher with how efficiently they worked, making sure there was no room for error. To finish the necessary components for the rocket's ignition, Roll was helped by a teenage boy with spikey, red hair and a girl, approximately 14-years-old, with pink hair, who found power couplings for the group. Now the time was fast approaching. Inside the cockpit, Roll was staring up into the sky at Elysium, their destination. It seemed so small, about the size of a planetary moon. Her mind was racing with emotions. She was anxious to finally launch and get MegaMan back. But also, fear crept in. What if they didn't make it? What if MegaMan is dead and they took too long? What if the rocket explodes during the launch and they all die? Roll shook her head to banish the bad thoughts from her mind.

`I can do this. I don't know how I know we'll make it...but something tells me we will.' Roll thought to herself. Meanwhile Tron, Teisel, a few Servbots, and Von Bleucher, were all taking their seats in the cockpit as well. Tron joined Roll at the front, sitting to her right. It seemed fitting that the two who put so much hard work into designing and building this rocket would be seated at the front. All of the human passengers...Tron, Roll, Teisel, and Vernor...had on the same dark blue jumpsuit. They were made specifically for the trip.

Tron tapped Roll on the shoulder, causing the spikey-haired blonde to look at her. “Don't space out now. We've worked so hard to get to this moment, and you're off in la-la land.” Tron's hair was styled in her usual way with her signature pink headband. Roll was wearing her signature red hat but both had on a headset, to communicate with each other. Roll took a deep breath and regained focus on the task at hand. “This is it. Is everyone ready?” Roll asked, followed by confirmations from everybody in the cockpit. “Okay, begin pre-launch procedures.” Roll ordered. Teisel, Tron, and Von Bleucher each pressed a couple of buttons and flipped a switch.

“Oxygen supply is kicking on. CO2 scrubbers are active.” Teisel said.

“Start-up engines firing. Boosters are ready.” Von Bleucher said.

“Fuel pressure is stable. Ready for launch.” A Servbot confirmed.

“Firing boosters. Initiating countdown...30 seconds to liftoff.” Tron spoke.

“We're coming, MegaMan. Just hold on a little while longer.” Roll muttered.

Barrel looked on in the distance, watching the rocket about ready to launch. “Come back safe, all of you.” The rocket's boosters started firing intensely. “Ten seconds to ignition.” Tron said in the cockpit, watching her monitor.

Teisel spoke up with a worried look on his face. “I don't feel so good all of a sudden.” Vernor looked at him and said, “That's normal. Keep it together.” Tron kept her countdown going. “Four...three...two...one...LAUNCH!”

At that moment the rocket's boosters started to take it up into the air, going higher and higher as it attempted to break through the atmosphere. “Structural integrity is holding!” Tron spoke up as the rocket's boosters made it hard to hear, making the headsets they were all wearing a necessity. “Come on...keep going!” Teisel willed, hoping that his words will help. “Prepare for stage one separation.” Roll spoke. Teisel grabbed a handle that was on his right and prepared to pull it. “Ready!” he said.

“Three...two...one...MARK!”

Teisel pulled the handle and instantly the bottom of the booster engines separated from the rest of the rocket, continuing to propel up into space. “Stage one separation, complete.” Teisel spoke. Tron looked at a panel on her left. “Structural integrity is still holding. This is the furthest any of our rockets have gone.” Teisel was hoping for more success as the rocket pushed onward. “Come on, baby...get us there in one piece.” Roll was remaining focused, determined to keep the rocket together. The only thought on her mind was `Please make it.'

On Elysium...

The armor-clad MegaMan was laying down on the grass next to The Master's old house, eyes closed as he was just relaxing. There was something peaceful about Elysium in the sense that there were no worries about pirates or any problems that people needed him to deal with. He didn't mind it one bit, but it was nice to have this peace. Suddenly a shadow walked up to him. It was Yuna still in the body of Matilda, Roll's Mother. Her hair had grown in the past five months to where it was now shoulder-length. “Are you just going to lay there, MegaMan?” she finally spoke up. MegaMan sat up and looked up at her. “Well there's not much else to do. Besides, I like the peace here. And it's a nice change in pace not having reaverbots attack me.”

During their time stranded on Elysium, Sera and Yuna got the system working again and modified the reaverbot's friendly recognition systems so they don't attack either Sera, Yuna, or MegaMan. All the traps were also disabled as well, so Elysium was peaceful.

“Besides, wasn't Sera working on something?” MegaMan asked.

“We both are.” Yuna answered. “Right now, I'm just waiting for Sera to finish.”

“Does it have to do with giving Roll her mother back? Which, by the way, you never said how you were going to do it.”

Yuna sat next to MegaMan and stared straight ahead. “In a manner of speaking, Roll's mother is...sleeping. Like being in a coma. For the time being, I'm keeping her body safe. You know how I took over her body, don't you?” MegaMan shook his head. He had no idea how Yuna was able to take over Matilda's body, or even how Sera did the same to Yuna's body. His memories were still fragmented. Yuna explained, “We're able to transfer our consciousness from one shell to another, considering if that shell is no longer in use or if the life force inside is very weak. Granted, we can only transfer into an empty shell if it has been well preserved or if it has been recently emptied.” MegaMan just looked at her, confused, as she continued.

“Many years ago, I found a couple on Forbidden Island, not far from a dropship. The man was unable to move, but the woman was barely hanging on, as if something was driving her to keep going. I valued her courage to keep going and when she finally collapsed, I transferred my consciousness into her body. Her life force was very weak, but could still be preserved. I left my original shell in the dropship to keep it safe until such a time when I could return to it. You know what happened afterwards.”

MegaMan thought hard about what he had just been told. “Then...Roll's mother is still alive?” he asked. Yuna nodded, but it still didn't answer his other question of how she planned to return Roll's mother to her. “But how do you plan on giving Roll her mother back? You still haven't answered that.” Yuna chuckled and responded. “Yes, I haven't told you that yet, have I? Well that's what Sera and I were working on.”

Suddenly there was a power surge at the house, causing MegaMan to spring up onto his feet. After several minutes of the surge, he ran to the door and entered the house to hear the elevator rising. He prepared for what he was about to see, but was not fully prepared as the one who was using the elevator...was Sera...in her original shell. MegaMan looked at her, dumbfounded, as he couldn't figure out why she was in her original body, the one he found her in over 5 months ago, at Forbidden Island. She was wearing her usual white dress and matching thigh-high boots. Then...for the first time in that body...Sera smiled at MegaMan.

“I imagine you are most likely confused at the situation, and more so at my appearance in this shell.” Sera spoke.

MegaMan just nodded, finding no words. From behind him, the door opened and in walked Yuna, who only said, “It took you long enough, Sera.” MegaMan looked back at Yuna, still confused. “But...how?” was all MegaMan could get out. Sera continued, “My original shell was badly damaged, however it was not beyond repair. We had to revert my shell to its original form before repairs could be made. It took a while, but I was finally able to return to my original shell, which you see before you.”

Yuna spoke up, “And when your friends arrive, MegaMan, I shall return to my original shell as well. Thus, Roll will be able to get her mother back.” Yuna turned to MegaMan. “Now do you understand?” MegaMan just scratched his head and said, “This is all pretty strange to me, but I understand. Now we just wait for Roll and the others to get here.”

As if on cue, a distant rumbling could be heard from outside. All three of them rushed out to see what it was and much to their surprise...it was a shuttle. MegaMan's eyes widened and a smile formed on his face. He didn't have to see who was in it to know who it was. “Roll...” he spoke, anxiously waiting for the incoming shuttle to land. All three of them watched as the shuttle activated its reverse thrusters to slow down, as well as rear parachutes. The shuttle had a rough landing, but it landed safely nonetheless. After the engines had died down, it had taken a few minutes for the hatch to open. From the hatch, Roll stepped out first, looking around before finally stepping foot on Elysium. She looked towards the giant house and saw someone she had not seen in over 5 months. It had been 5 months, but to her it felt like an eternity. Her eyes began to tear up, unable to contain her happiness as she darted towards the house.

“MEGAMAN!!!” Roll shouted. MegaMan felt like tearing up as well as he saw Roll running towards him. “ROLL!!!” he shouted back, running towards her as well. Roll was completely in tears as the two ran for each other and meeting half way in a long-awaited hug. “MEGAMAN...IS IT REALLY YOU?!” Roll cried, finally reuniting with him after so long. “It's me, Roll.” he responded. “I knew you would come.” Roll couldn't help but cry in his arms. Another female voice called out at him.

“Y-You...You big dummy! Playing the...*sniffle*...hero, like always!” It was Tron, who was also tearing up but fighting it to keep up appearances. MegaMan looked up and saw her, flanked by Teisel and Vernor Von Bleucher. “You're all here...for me?” he asked. Teisel placed his hands on his hips, standing proudly. “Like it or not, blue boy, our lives were more interesting with you around. Though you did destroy our ship, I'll overlook that right now. Good to have you back!” MegaMan nodded and Bleucher added, “You should thank these young ladies here.” Bleucher motioned to both Tron and Roll. “They worked tirelessly to build the rocket that brought us here.”

Roll let go of MegaMan as he walked over to Tron, surprising her a little before hugging her. “Thank you so much.” Tron didn't know what to do. MegaMan was hugging her and she didn't know how to react, just like back on Kattelox Island, when they met in the warehouse after the battle in the sky and MegaMan was holding her hands, happy to find out that the Bonnes survived the explosion. Tron's face was beet red, even after MegaMan released the hug. She just stood there, frozen.

“I'm glad to see everyone is safe.” spoke a familiar voice. It was Sera, who was walking up to the group with Yuna. All of them, except for MegaMan, immediately went angry. “You...You've got a lot of nerve, showing your face after what you pulled!” Teisel shouted. Sera just lowered her head, but a moment afterwards a fist connected with her face causing her to fall backwards onto the ground. The fist came from Roll. Everyone looked at Roll, unsurprised.

Tron, herself, knew just how hard Roll can hit. During the five months it took to build a successful rocket, Tron and Roll had gotten into a heated argument once that turned physical. Tron had thrown coffee in Roll's face and Roll responded with a hard-right square on Tron's left cheek, resulting in a brief fight between the two. After seeing Sera go down, Tron rubbed her left cheek remembering the incident with Roll.

“How...HOW DARE YOU?! PUTTING US THROUGH ALL OF THIS!!” Roll shouted at Sera, ready to unleash all her anger. Bleucher had to restrain her a little as Sera stood up, rubbing her cheek that had just felt the hard fist of a female mechanic. Instead of fighting back, Sera just bowed and catching all of them by surprise.

“I apologize for everything I've done. I know I do not deserve forgiveness, but I am going to work hard to make up for my mistakes.” Sera stood straight again as Yuna walked up from behind. “I'll make sure that she stays true to her word.”

Roll's anger disappeared quickly when she saw Yuna and Yuna looked back at her. “Now...I believe that there's a little matter to discuss. If you'll all follow me.” Everyone followed Yuna into the house which all three of them, Sera, Yuna, and MegaMan, refurbished to be more accommodating for their stay. Yuna walked over to where there were a pair of double beds. “All of you wait here. I'll return shortly.” With that, Yuna made her way to the elevator which led to the Guardian and Mother Zones underneath the house.

Teisel was the first to speak up. “Okay, can someone tell me what is going on? I don't like being left in the dark.”

“Yuna is fetching her original shell so she can transfer back into it.” Sera answered. This caused Roll's eyes to widen. She now has MegaMan back after being gone for over five months...but now, if she was hearing it right, she might also get her mother back. After several minutes, Yuna returned, carrying her original body over to one of the beds and laying herself down. She then turned to Roll.

“Roll...you've been without your parents for over 15 years, is that correct?” Roll just nodded, paying close attention to what was happening and what Yuna was saying. “You'll be happy to know that your mother is safe and sound.” Yuna sat down at the edge of the empty bed opposite to the one her original body was lying down on. “As I told MegaMan, I found your mother on Forbidden Island, barely alive for fading fast. I transferred my consciousness to her body and kept her in a slumber until such time when I could return her to you.” Roll's expression became that of joy. Her entire purpose for finding the Mother Lode was in hopes of finding her long lost parents. And now she was about to get at least her mother back.

Yuna continued, “Your mother won't wake for a few days, but...she may pick up some residual memories from my time in her body. Otherwise, her most recent memory of herself will be of the day I found her. You'll have to bring her up to speed when she awakes. Can you handle that?” Roll took a moment to think. What Yuna just told her meant that when her mother wakes up, she'll think that Roll is still a baby and would be shocked to see her all grown up. Roll didn't care. She is moments away from getting her mother back.

“Yes...I can handle it.” Yuna smiled then laid down on the bed. Sera walked over to make sure everything went smoothly. She stood next to Yuna's original body as Yuna closed her eyes. Several minutes passed when the original Yuna began opening her eyes slowly. Sera greeted her with “Welcome back, Yuna. The transfer seems to have been a success.” Yuna slowly sat up at the edge of the bed and looked at herself. Her arms, her legs, her body...they were her own. Roll immediately went to her mother's body and began calling for her. “Mother? Mother, it's me...Roll. Can you hear me?” Yuna spoke up. “It's as I said, she won't be able to wake for a few days but she'll be okay.”

Yuna stood up and stretched. “My, it's been a long time since I've been in my original shell. I've almost forgotten what it was like.” Bleucher walked over to the bed Roll's mother was still laying in and he picked her up in his arms. “I'll carry her. Barrel will be happy to know that he'll have both his daughter AND granddaughter back home.” Roll was happy to finally know that her mother was returning home and so was MegaMan. However...

“GAAHHH! OH NO!” Tron exclaimed, realizing a very key problem for them right now. “WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH RUNWAY SPACE TO LIFT OFF! WE WON'T BE ABLE TO GET OFF THE GROUND!”

Everyone, except for the Mother units, went pale as ghosts. “Y-You mean...we're stuck here?” Teisel said, worried. Both Sera and Yuna chuckled before Sera spoke. “There's more than one way for you to return to Terra.” The group looked at her, puzzled, but she turned to Yuna. “I know exactly what Sera is talking about.” Yuna commented.

The group followed Yuna down to the shuttle bay, where the shuttle that Yuna and MegaMan took to arrive at Elysium was. Yuna opened the hatch to the shuttle, which was barely large enough for all of them to fit inside. “I'll pilot this shuttle to return to Terra. Everyone, climb on in.” As everybody did, Sera pulled MegaMan over to the side.

“Trigger...I want to...apologize.” Sera spoke.

“For what?”

“Your friend...what's her name...Roll? She was justified in hitting me. I caused you all so much pain. No amount of redemption can forgive what I've done.” MegaMan just chuckled and smiled at her. “I already have, Sera.” Seeing MegaMan smile made her blush deeply and smile in return before Roll called out. “MegaMan, come on. Gramps is probably worried.” MegaMan nodded then made his way to the shuttle, waving goodbye to Sera. “I hope to see you again, Sera.” Sera kept smiling and waved goodbye back at MegaMan.

Back on Terra...

Everyone stepped off the shuttle after landing at the rocket launch site. Barrel smiled behind his bushy, grey beard and sighed. “I'm so glad they made it back safely.” He noticed Bleucher carrying his daughter, Matilda, and walked up to him. “Vernor...Is she...?” Bleucher reassured him. “She's your daughter returned to you. She won't wake up for a few days, but there will be a large gap in her memory. She may even have some memories from when that Yuna girl occupied her body.” Barrel let out a sigh of relief. “Bridging a 15-year gap won't be easy. But my daughter is strong.”

MegaMan was the last to leave the shuttle, but was stopped by Yuna. “Those two...Roll and...Tron, was it? They both seem to take a liking to you.” MegaMan looked over at Tron, who was talking with Teisel and their brother Bon. Yuna continued, “For both of them to put their differences aside to rescue you...it shows how much they care about you.” MegaMan turned back to Yuna. “H-Hey, don't tease me about that.” This made Yuna giggle a little before returning to the shuttle. “I've got to get back to Elysium. Sera and I have a lot of work still.” MegaMan waved goodbye at Yuna before the shuttle hatch closed and the shuttle itself left the ground, shooting up into the sky and returning to Elysium.

Roll walked up to MegaMan, curious. “Is everything alright?” MegaMan smiled at her and answered. “Yeah. Everything is fine now.” Both MegaMan and Roll looked up at the sky as the sun was setting. The peace was broken, however, when Tron called out. “Hey MegaMan!” MegaMan and Roll turned and looked at Tron, who was flanked by her brothers and had a determined look on her face. “Remember what I told you in the Saul Kada ruins, after our little truce?” MegaMan nodded and quoted what she said. “'The next time we meet, we're enemies again.'” Tron nodded in agreement. “Exactly.”

“We'll be seeing you around, MegaMan.” Teisel said before the trio turned and headed off. MegaMan, Roll, Barrel, and Von Bleucher watched as the Bonnes parted ways. MegaMan spoke up as he watched them walk off. “I don't know when we'll be seeing them...but it'll definitely be a new era when we do.” As the sun continued to set, Roll held on to MegaMan's arm, happy that her goal of finding her parents, or at least her mother, has been accomplished as well as bringing MegaMan back from Elysium.

...End of Chapter 1: The Rescue

Voice cast, in order of appearance:

Roll Caskett: Tracy Ryan

Tron Bonne: Tara Platt

Teisel Bonne: Rob Smith

Barrel Caskett: George Masswohl

Vernor Von Bleucher: Stewart Arnott

Servbots: Kari Whalgren

Matilda Caskett/Yuna: Alison Lawrence

MegaMan Volnutt/Trigger: Vic Mignogna

Sera: Danya Gensiorek

Author's Note:

I hope those of you reading enjoyed it. I put a lot of work into this re-write. I chose Vic Mignogna as MegaMan's VA because I think he would fit a maturing MegaMan well during this series. As far as Chapter 2, expect it sometime in March 2018 (in case anyone is reading this after the fact). Also, aside from Vic, all the other VAs were those roles in the games. And to be honest, I started tearing up as I was writing the part where Yuna gives Roll her mother back. It's a huge feels moment for me.

Follow the “100,000 Strong for Bringing Back Mega Man Legends 3” Facebook and on Twitter at @GetMeOffTheMoon, my inspiration for writing this chapter. Remember: Legends never die.