MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Never Ending Summer ❯ Maki ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“Who's it?” asked Maki.
 
“How about Enzan?” Netto asked.
 
“I agree,” said Madoi.
 
“Hey!” Enzan protested. “That's not very fair.”
 
“Come on!” Netto said. “We're trying to have a little fun.”
 
“Please, Enzan-san?” Dream asked, looking at Enzan with her luminescent eyes.
 
Enzan looked at her and sighed. Lately he would do just about anything, what happened to his old attitude on life?
 
Netto laughed and slung an arm around Enzan's shoulders. “Okay everyone, Enzan's it. Make sure to run really fast!”
 
Enzan rolled his eyes, `Oh yeah, that.' He thought irritably.
 
“Fun!” Maki said.
 
“Better start running,” Enzan muttered to Netto.
 
Netto glanced at him and took of at a run. As soon as he did Enzan started to chase him.
 
Netto was very fast and Enzan lost him after awhile. He panted and looked around for someone to tag. It was such a simple game yet it could be so hard too.
 
He saw who he thought was Netto and went after him. He ran, but not fast enough. Enzan cut him off and tapped him on the shoulder. “Got you Netto,” he said.
 
Rockman turned around and blinked, “You got me, but I'm not Netto-kun.”
 
He heard a laugh from behind him and an indignant grunt from Netto. “You know, we're not THAT hard to tell apart. He is wearing green you know.” Netto said.
 
Enzan blushed, but no one could tell because his face was flushed from running. “I knew that,” he muttered.
 
Rockman laughed, “We know. But you better run, cause I'm it,” he said.
 
Enzan blinked and then took off in the opposite direction from Rockman. Rockman chased after Blues and after three or so minutes of zigzagging he managed to catch him. “Ha!” he cried out in triumph and tapped Blues on his arm.
 
Blues sighed and ran after Madoi, tapping her easily. Though he strongly suspected that she wanted to get caught. Almost immediately she took after Hinoken and started to chase him around the field.
 
Netto and Rockman looked at them sweat dropping slightly. “She's playing with him,” Rockman said.
 
“I know,” he answered.
 
Madoi took off at a sprint and caught Hinoken in a chokehold. “Got ya!” she said and let him go. He sighed and took off looking for someone.
 
Maki giggled and ran by him. He smiled and ran after her, making sure not to catch her too quickly. She squealed with delight when she was finally tapped and ran after Dream.
 
The two ran around with more energy then anyone else could muster at that point and everyone else just sat down as they chased each other.
 
“Well, that was fun,” Laika said dryly.
 
“You liked playing tag and you know it,” Netto said.
 
Laika smiled but didn't answer.
 
“Now what?” Elecman asked.
 
Rockman shrugged, “Well, it's a bit hard to decide what to do next because we have no idea where we even are in regards to this world. What can we do, is the question we should be asking ourselves.”
 
“Well, sitting around is only dangerous in the end,” Searchman said.
 
Mahajorama nodded, “Yes, if we were brought here as part of a trap and Dream isn't the one who planned it then it's only safe to assume that someone else will come looking for us.”
 
“Why?” asked Netto.
 
“Why trap us here to begin with?” asked Blues.
 
“Maybe they needed to get us out of the way for the time being?” Laika suggested.
 
“Well, if they did and that was their intention then what is going on while we're not there?” asked Rockman.
 
Elec Hakushaku groaned, “There are too many questions,” he said.
 
Netto nodded, “Yeah. How about we make a plan to get out of here.”
 
“Then we're back a square one,” Enzan pointed out. “No matter how you look at it, we need our questions answered before we can actually do anything. If we don't know how we got here then we obviously don't know how to get out. And we will need to find out what happened in out absence. So, in the end, we either need to wait like sitting ducks or find out the answers ourselves.”
 
“I'm for finding out stuff ourselves,” Netto said.
 
“I second that,” said Rockman.
 
Fireman nodded, “There is no reason to find out answers if it means we're in danger. Our best plan in to probably keep moving.”
 
Dream and Maki came from their game of tag and collapsed into the grass. “Tired,” Maki said.
 
Netto laughed softly. “Maybe you shouldn't have ran so much,” he said picking her up and setting her into his lap.
 
Maki made a face, “Not fair. You said to play tag.”
 
“We were playing tag, but we stopped before we became exhausted like you,” Rockman said.
 
Dream yawned and sat up in the grass. Blues looked at the young navi and got an idea. “You said you've been here for awhile?” Blues asked.
 
Dream nodded, “Yeah, almost two years. Why?”
 
“Do you know anywhere where we can go and hide?” he asked. “Or some kind of place where we can go to that's not in the open?”
 
Dream thought about it. “Well, there is this really cool building thing over that way,” she said, waving to the east. Or what presumably was the east.
 
“Building thing?” Netto asked.
 
Dream nodded, “Yeah, it's really big and it looks like it came straight from a human city.”
 
“That's weird,” said Enzan.
 
“Maybe a left over from when Gospel deleted the net?” Blues asked.
 
Dream took in a shuddering gasp, diverting all attention to her. “Gospel?” she asked.
 
“Yes, a program made to…” Enzan started but Dream cut him off.
 
“Absorb and remake the internet,” she finished.
 
Rockman was the first one to put it together. “You were deleted by Gospel, weren't you?”
 
Dream nodded. “I was one of the first navi's he absorbed for energy when he was still in his Beta Testing stage. My body became energy for him but my personality remained,” she said.
 
Maki looked a bit put out and put her arms around Dream. “It's okay, Dream. We're here now, and Netto-chan will get you out of here. Right?” she asked.
 
Netto laughed nervously, “W-well, I can't make any promises…” he stuttered.
 
Dream looked at him, “Really?” she asked.
 
Netto sighed, “Well, I promise that we'll try really hard,” he said.
 
Dream nodded and smiled. “I understand,” she said.
 
“Well, then how about we get to that place,” said Searchman.
 
Dream nodded and stood up. “I'll show you the way, it's a little far though,” she said.
 
“It's okay. As long as we don't make ourselves targets,” Laika said.
 
Everyone nodded in agreement and stood up. Dream started to walk in the direction she had pointed in and everyone followed.
 
“Hey Dream, if we do get you out, where will you go?” Maki asked.
 
Dream frowned, “I don't know. I don't remember whose navi I was, or even what country I came from. If I ever did get out of here I guess I would end up going to a navi store or something.”
 
Maki frowned, “That's no fun,” she said.
 
Dream smiled, “Well, I don't have an operator. What choice would I have?”
 
“I could be your operator!” Maki said cheerfully.
 
Netto looked at her a little surprised, “Maki-chan, having a navi is a lot different from just having a normal pet. First of all, if you have a navi, chances are they won't ever leave you alone… ow!” he said as Rockman elbowed him.
 
“The reason I nag you is because you don't do your homework, Netto-kun,” Rockman said with an annoyed look on his face.
 
Maki giggled, “I know. But Dream needs someone! And I don't want to say good bye to her when we leave!”
 
Dream smiled, “I would like that, I think,” she said in a soft voice.
 
“See!” Maki said.
 
Netto sighed, “Whatever, we'll come to that when this is over.”
 
Rockman nodded, “Yeah, first we need to get out of here.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
The small group made their way in the direction that Dream had pointed in. It was a long walk and Dream and Maki got tired. It was all of ten minutes into the walk when Maki started to beg for a piggy back ride. “Pleaaaaaaaase?” she asked.
 
“Go bug Rockman,” Netto said, looking very annoyed.
 
Rockman shot him a dirty look when Maki turned her large brown eyes to him. “Rockman?” she asked.
 
Rockman sweatdropped and everyone else had a hard time trying not to laugh. “M-maki-chan, I don't think…”
 
“Please?” she asked softly.
 
Rockman groaned and let the five year old onto his back. “Only for a little while, okay?” he asked.
 
“Yay!” she cried out and jumped on him. Rockman grunted with the force of the impact but held his ground.
 
“Okay, let's get a move on,” Rockman said.
 
“Do you think this is a trap?” Enzan murmured to Laika.
 
“I have no idea, if it is, then Dream doesn't know about it,” he said back.
 
“Then if it is, shouldn't we not be walking in the open?” he asked.
 
Laika shrugged and Hinoken came over and placed his hands on their shoulders making them jump. “What are you two talking about?” he asked.
 
“Nothing,” the answered and walked away.
 
Hinoken sweatdropped and Madoi laughed, “Come on, Hinoken they're kids.”
 
“Very anti-social kids,” he murmured.
 
Madoi shrugged and walked ahead to talk to Coloredman. Hinoken sighed and Fireman came up to him with a touch of concern in his eyes. “Is anything wrong?” he asked.
 
Hinoken looked at Madoi laughing with her navi and shook his head. “Nothing, just nothing.”
 
Fireman followed his gaze and nodded, “I see.”
 
Hinoken ignored his navi's quip and continued the walk in silence.
 
It wasn't long before Netto was giving Dream a piggy back ride as well. She didn't even have to ask for it, just looking at Maki and giving a sad sigh every three seconds was a sign even Netto couldn't ignore. She pointed in the directions she wanted them to go and they followed along without questioning, after all she was the only one who knew the place.
 
Still, Laika and Enzan were suspicious. They didn't think she was bad but she might not realize she was being manipulated. They told each other so and their navi's agreed. The foursome made sure to keep an eye out for anything that might be deemed as suspicious just in case.
 
They came up on the large building after about thirty minutes of walking. “It's huge,” Netto said.
 
Rockman laughed, “Different looking at buildings from the internet in real life huh?” he asked.
 
Netto nodded, “Yeah, completely different.”
 
Maki looked at the building with wonder, “They can make stuff like this in the internet?” she gasped.
 
“Yeah, programmers like Netto's dad do stuff like this,” Enzan said. He eyed the building but couldn't detect anything out of the ordinary.
 
“It's safe, Enzan-sama,” Blues murmured to his operator.
 
They went into the building, and Obsidian watched from her perch on a tree in the distance.
 
“I knew they would come here soon,” she grinned. “It's just so easy to fool people these days.” She jumped from the tree and disappeared reappearing in front of the building. “Time to have some fun,” she sing songed.
 
“This place really is huge!” Elec Hakushaku said.
 
Elecman nodded, “This was one of the information centers,” he said.
 
Rockman blinked, “I remember this place, it held all of the police records didn't it?”
 
“Yeah,” said Blues. “It was run by the Net Police, one of the first buildings to go in the Gospel invasion.”
 
Dream shut her eyes at hearing the word Gospel and Netto tried to console her. Everyone else looked around the building for anything that might be of use in getting out of the strange world that they were in.
 
“Anything?” Laika asked.
 
Searchman shook his head, “Not here.”
 
“I found our police record!” Coloredman yelled.
 
“Put it away!” the other members of WWW yelled at him.
 
“Okay okay, geez,” he said and put the file back where he found it.
 
“Can anything here actually help us?” Rockman asked.
 
Blues shrugged, “It's worth a shot. Unless you want to go search out Obsidian and ask her how to get back.”
 
Rockman smiled nervously, “Point taken.”
 
“Oh, but I could help in so many ways,” said a voice.
 
Everyone jumped up on the alert. “Who's there?” Enzan yelled.
 
Obsidian stepped out from the shadows grinning widely. “You think I brought you here not knowing where you were? Shame on you for underestimating me.”
 
Everyone but Netto, Maki and Rockman turned to Dream. Maki saw this and ran in front of her friend. “You're wrong! Dream didn't do anything,” she yelled.
 
Obsidian laughed bringing all attention back to her. “The child is right; I had no use for that brat after she brought you here.”
 
Dream's eyes filled with tears. Maki put her arms around her and hugged her, “It's all right, Netto-chan and Rockman will get the mean lady for you.”
 
Obsidian laughed, “You're precious friends are no more fit to battle me right now then you are. This world has no Humans and Navi's do you honestly think you can attack me?”
 
“Then you can attack us either,” Blues said.
 
“Who said I was trying to?” she retorted.
 
Everyone was silent and Obsidian smirked. “You humans are so predictable. You think that I brought you here to destroy you? Plans need to be more thought out then that, not like you'd ever understand that though. You see, I didn't bring you here to destroy you, I brought you here to get you out of the way.”
 
“Why?” Rockman hissed.
 
Obsidian waved a finger as if telling a small child `no', “Tut tut, do you think I'm going to give my plan away that easily?” she asked. “You underestimate me!” she yelled.
 
“Then what do you plan to do now?” Blues asked.
 
“Well, you see, I want to leave you here to rot for the rest of your days, but I have my orders and covering for 8 missing people and 7 missing navi's would bring too much unwanted attention. So enjoy the freebie while you can.”
 
“What about Dream?” Maki yelled.
 
Obsidian cast a glance on the small Navi making her flinch. “I gave my word, and I never go back on my word. But know that I also promise you this, your peace won't last long,” she said and a mist started to fill the room they were in. “We just finished the first part of our plan and you will never defeat us.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
“Netto-chan?” Netto felt Maki shaking his shoulder.
 
“Nuh, five more minutes,” he said.
 
“Netto-chan!” Maki screamed and Netto woke up quickly. So did everyone else.
 
“What?” he asked.
 
“Where's dream?” she asked with an expression of worry etched on her face.
 
Netto blinked and remembered what had just happened. He gaped at her for a few seconds, “I…”
 
“She's with me,” Rockman said from his PET.
 
Netto pulled up his PET and opened the touch screen to see Dream and Rockman standing side by side. “Dream!” Maki yelled.
 
Dream nodded happily. “I'm fine.”
 
“Well that's good to know,” Enzan said dryly. “But what about Obsidian.”
 
“Looks like we're going to have to wait,” Searchman said.
 
Laika frowned, “What did they do that they needed to make sure we had no chance of finding out about it?”
 
“When you know that, you'll be able to stop them,” said Madoi. “That's why they did it.”
 
“I-I'm sorry,” Dream said.
 
“Don't be,” said Maki. “It wasn't your fault.”
 
Mahajorama nodded in his solemn way. “The young one is right. Now, I think we need to get back to Mejin-san and tell him what happened.”
 
Netto looked at his watch and blanched. “Ummm, you go, I'm going home,” he said and took Maki's hand.
 
“Netto,” Enzan started but was cut off by Netto.
 
“I'm still babysitting remember?” Netto asked.
 
“Good luck, kid,” Madoi laughed.
 
“Thanks,” Netto said and ran out the door with Maki in tow.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
“Everything is going according to plan,” Obsidian said to a shadowy figure on a touch screen.
 
“Excellent, and the kids?”
 
“None the wiser.”
 
“Good job, you may go,” he said.
 
Obsidian grinned and left in a flash.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto and Maki were sitting on the couch watching TV when Sakura and Haruka came into the house.
 
“We're home!” Haruka called.
 
“Welcome back!” Rockman called back. “Did you have a good time?”
 
“Yes,” Haruka said as they walked into the living room. “Did anything happen while we were gone?” she asked.
 
Maki giggled, “We found a navi!” she said.
 
Sakura blinked, “Where?”
 
“On the square,” Rockman said. “She said she got lost after the Gospel incident.”
 
Dream appeared next to Rockman and gave a polite bow. “Pleased to meet you,” she said.
 
“Oh, aren't you a little darling,” Sakura cooed.
 
“Did you ask where her operator was?” Haruka asked.
 
Netto nodded, “She's a program navi for a company that went out of business two months after the Gospel incident.”
 
“Really now?” Haruka asked.
 
Rockman nodded, “We looked up her Navi Insignia data. Her name is Dream.”
 
“Mommy, can we keep her? She needs someone, please?” Maki asked.
 
Sakura smiled, “We'll see. For the time being I'll say yes.”
 
“YEAH!” Maki yelled and grabbed Netto's PET from his hands earning a loud protest from the boy. “Did you hear that Dream?” she asked.
 
Dream nodded, “Yes, I'm very happy.”
 
“Well, you two had an adventure today,” Haruka smiled.
 
/She has no idea,/ Netto said.
 
/Hush, Netto-kun,/ Rockman replied.
 
“But it's time for bed,” Sakura finished.
 
“Awwww,” Maki said.
 
Netto shrugged and went upstairs. Rockman appeared in the computer in his room before Maki could storm in. “Anything wrong Netto-kun?”
 
“I'm just worried about what Obsidian said,” he mused.
 
Rockman shrugged, “I hate to say this, but we have to wait. They have one up on us, Netto-kun.”
 
“Yeah, I know,” Netto said, sighing.
 
“Don't worry, everything will turn out fine,” Rockman said smiling.
 
Netto nodded, giving his brother a smile of his own. “I know. Everything always does.”
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
End of Dream arc. Hope you enjoyed the new member of my ever growing OC list ^^; ah well. She's cute, I hope that makes up for it.