MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Strings of Fate ❯ Slumber ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“That's right-`we'. I'm going to help out. I'd like to help out, but not because I want to become a Maverick Hunter. It's because.....well, I'd like to become....y'know.....a friend.”
X put a hand to his forehead and closed his eyes. A part of his heart soared into blue skies because of his friend's determination, but at the same time, he was being crushed under doubt...under fear. This Reploid really believed that there was hope, didn't he? All grounds had been covered....all options had been used.....but someone thought there was still hope.
“Where do you think `we' should start, then?”
Axl scowled at him, offended by X's disbelief. “I don't know, but we've got to start somewhere! X, if you don't believe in me, then I'll find a way to save Zero by myself! I know I can do it, I know I can! You don't know what's going to happen until you reach the finish line! You can't take down hope. We just HAVE t'try-Zero's your buddy, right?!”
“Right....”
Axl's determination was moving him to tears. He didn't expect to see so much compassion....so much bravery. The young one's determination was inspirational-his voice made X think of eagles soaring through clear blue skies. The look in Axl's eyes made the desire to laugh spring up, but it remained ignored. The former member of Red Alert's attitude was unbelievable.....in a very good way.
“Something's out there. I know it is. We just have to try. Are you with me?”
One thing popped up in X's eyes-hesitation. He looked like a lion cub that was being pulled away from its family-confused, unsure, uneasy. The determination on Axl's face didn't die down-it actually become stronger. The Blue Bomber felt as if Axl had been sent to him...to bring him hope.....but how much hope was out there?
What was out there?
“I'm with you, Axl.”
A smile of jubilance blossomed on the young one's face, and his eyes lit up like stars over a moonlit lake. “All right! Wicked cool! I'll do everything I can to find that cure! Just trust me on this!”
I'm not too sure I can trust myself on this.......X thought, trying to fight off the raging thunderstorm of doubt that was whirling around in his heart. The greatest storm of fear was blazing inside of him....a part of him wanted to ignore that storm, but it was pretty hard to do so. Everyone had tried everything they could think of to save Zero-could he really put his trust in a Reploid that had just arrived seconds ago?
“Let's get started!”
“Now wait a minute, Axl. We can't forget about the business at hand here. Don't tell you me you've forgotten about what happened with you and Red Alert.” X said urgently, holding up a hand. “We can't just jump from one problem to the other.”
The enthusiasm level shot down, but only a little. “Aww, sorry about that X. Guess I just got too excited.”
(A/N: Axl has the CUTEST voice: thanks to Jeffrey Watson!!!)
The doubt was still in the eyes of Mega Man X...floating...lingering....eating away at him. Could he really believe there was hope? What if it didn't exist? What if...what if.....
What if what if what if what if.......
I really don't know about this......
--“Ambre! Captain Zero's heart rate has shot down by 2.5-and it's still decreasing!'
“Zero's internal system is growing weaker and weaker with every second. We're running out of time-there isn't much we can do!”
“He doesn't have much strength left. Our captain only has a few days left.”
Ambre, the right hand man of Gate, who was an old friend of Alia's, looked over at his commander worriedly, not pleased with the current news. Gate looked back at him, but not with a smile-the same amount of sadness was on his own face. “Gallon is right, sir.” Ambre told him sadly, feeling the acidic taste of defeat in his mouth.
“There isn't anything left.”
Gate sighed, and placed his attention on the ground for a moment, not wanting to believe anything he was hearing. Zero wasn't too far away from him-he was only a few feet away, locked inside of an analyses tube......but he couldn't hear, couldn't see....
Sleeping. That's what he was doing.
Sleeping.