MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Survival of the Fittest ❯ Chapter Nine ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
((He hasn't woken up yet?)) the deep voice asked.

((Not yet. I think you pushed him to hard.)) a softer, more feminine voice replied.

((Nonsense!)) the first one snorted. ((See! He moves!))

Enzan groaned and slowly opened his eyes. The last thing he could remember was getting Netto to the cabin and...Netto! Enzan sat up suddenly, ignoring the dizziness the sudden movement had caused. Netto was lying next to him, still asleep, his hair soaked with sweat. His breathing was rapid and he coughed quite a bit. He turned his head towards Enzan slightly and mumbled, "W-water... please..."

"Okay, hold on," Enzan said, getting up. He remembered seeing a barrel filled with water and some cups in a corner of the cabin. He filled one of the cups and brought it back to Netto, holding it to his lips so he could drink. Netto drank about half of the water before turning his head away. Enzan carefully laid Netto's head back against the pillow and turned his own gaze to the window. Outside it was still raining, but not as badly as before. He knew that could easily change, though.

"Its a wonder no one has come looking for us," Enzan said to himself, more to break the silence than anything else. He hadn't expected an answer, but was surprised when he got one anyway.

((They would try, but the rain keeps them inside.)) a gentle voice said, startling Enzan. Who had said that? He and Netto were the only ones in the cabin.

((I beg your pardon? If it weren't for me you'd still be stumbling around in the rain and Netto would be dead.))

Enzan's eyes were drawn down to the grey-brown mass of fur that was Anuzu, who was currently spawled out in front of the fireplace. She looked up at him and bared her teeth...in a smile? That couldn't be right!

((Hello, Handsome.))

'I'm going crazy!' Enzan thought. 'Or else I'm getting sick and hallucinating.'

((Or you're doing neither.)) Anuzu said, rising to her feet. ((If Netto wasn't coughing so much I'd have him explain things to you, but it seems that is not possible.))

A wave of guilt hit Enzan again. He was the reason Netto was sick. If he hadn't have been so stupid Netto wouldn't have had to come after him and wouldn't have fallen into the river, and...

((And you wouldn't have realized how much you cared about him.)) Anuzu finished. Enzan glared at her.

"What would you know? I'm just sorry that he got hurt because of something I did."

Enzan wasn't sure how, but he had the feeling that Anuzu was laughing at him. He didn't appreciate it, so he turned away and ignored her. Anuzu was silent then, and remained so for some time afterwards. Enzan went back to watching Netto, doing what he could to make the other boy comfortable. The PETs were still blank, which meant there was no way for him to call for help. Anuzu certainly didn't look like she would be willing to go back out into the rain.

((You're damned right I'm not. But the rain will end soon. For awhile, anyway. Then perhaps Tainn will be able to come and help heal Netto. But that will depend on you.))

"Depend on me? What is that supposed to mean?" Enzan demanded.

((Be patient. The Pack will explain when they arrive.))

"If that's supposed to be reassuring, its not."

But Anuzu wouldn't explain any further. She simply turned her head away and closed her eyes. After that Enzan found it difficult to sit still. He didn't like being so helpless, and yet there was nothing he could do! He wasn't to thrilled with the situation. He went back and forth from pacing around the cabin to placing a damp cloth against Netto's forehead in an attempt to bring the fever down, though with little success. And all the while the sound of the rain grew fainter and fainter, as did the wind, until it stopped all together. Though the windows were covered for the most part with mud, Enzan could see the sunlight trying to break through.

((I told you the storm was ending. Its not uncommon for at least one of these kinds of storms to hit during the summer. It helps to break the heatwaves that linger over us for weeks on end.))

"I'd rather have had the heatwave. At least then Netto wouldn't have gotten sick."

((Perhaps. But perhaps not. It is impossible to tell what will happen in the next minute so its better not to try and predict it. Life is lived in the moment, without worrying what will happen five minutes from now, or five days, or five years.))

"You might live that way, but I prefer to be in control of my life."

((Typical human thought. Even Netto would disagree with you, you know. And its pointless to argue with a wolf. You'll never win. Netto will tell you that as well.))

"Netto can't tell me anything, you stupid beast!" Enzan shouted, balling his hands into fists. It took all of his self control not to hit Anuzu. Not that it would have done any good but to make her angry. Tears began to form in the corners of his eyes. "He has pneumonia! Can't you see that? He'll die if he doesn't get to a hospital!"

((Is this guilt that is speaking, or is it love?)) Anuzu asked, her voice taunting.

"What does it matter?" Enzan growled.

((To us it matters. Which is it, Enzan?))

Without even thinking Enzan answered, "Love." He didn't know why he had said it, but even as he did so he knew it was the right answer. He loved Netto Hikari. He didn't know when it had started, but it had nevertheless, and he realized that now. And he didn't want to loose Netto now that he finally knew how he felt.

((Then you shall not loose him.))

Anuzu left her spot by the fireplace, pushed the door open and walked out onto the porch. The area had warmed up again, so Enzan left the door open. Maybe the fresh air would help Netto a bit. Anuzu stood in the light for a moment, letting the sun soak into her body. Then, without warning, threw her head back and released a low, mournful sounding howl. She repeated this three times, then fell silent. Enzan stood in the doorway, not sure what to expect. A moment later there was another howl, this one deeper than Anuzu's.

Suddenly, through the trees, Enzan spotted something moving towards them. In the mist that had followed the storm the thing looked almost like a ghost. Enzan shivered at the thought. With everything else that was going on the last thing he needed to find out was that the mountain was haunted. Anuzu looked up at him as he thought that, but she didn't say anything.

When the craeture came closer to the cabin Enzan could see that it was another wolf. One that was completely white with striking blue eyes that were brighter than Enzan's. Like Anuzu's, those eyes all but glowed with intelligence. Anuzu bowed her head to this wolf, and even Enzan could tell that this was someone to be respected.

((You have called for me.)) It wasn't a question. Enzan realized this was the same voice that had ordered him to sleep the other night. Only now it was much more powerful, probably because he was so close. ((Your thoughts are correct.))

((Tainn, I request for you to heal the Human-cub, Netto. He is well known to The Pack.))

((That will depend. What reason is there for me to interfere with a Human life?))

"Because I love him, and I couldn't stand loosing him," Enzan said before Anuzu could answer. Tainn turned and focused his gaze on Enzan. Enzan felt as if those eyes were looking right through his body and into his soul, like Tainn was measuring him somehow. It was uncomfortable, but Enzan didn't turn away. Finally it was Tainn who turned his head, looking back at Anuzu.

((Lead me to the Human-cub.))

Enzan didn't know if he could sigh with relief or not. After all, how could a wolf, even one that could talk, help Netto? Tainn didn't answer that question, and neither did Anuzu. Instead Anuzu led Tainn into the cabin and over to the bed where Netto was lying, his body limp from exhuastion. He had stopped coughing, more because he was to tired to continue. Enzan stood off in a corner to keep out of the way, though he was ready to push both wolves away if they showed any signs of hurting Netto.

Tainn paced from one end of the bed to the other, keeping his eyes on Netto every single step. ((This will be difficult, but not impossible. You, Enzan, come here.))

Enzan walked over to join the wolves. "Yes?"

((Place your hand over Netto's heart.))

Enzan did as he was told. He could feel Netto's heart beating rapidly from the fever. He felt Tainn push himself against his body, placing his face between Enzan's arm and Netto's chest. His breathing was slow and steady, and surprisingly it was comforting to have the wolf so close to him! Tainn focused his eyes on Netto, watching every move he made, which, considering that he was sick, wasn't much. All of a sudden Enzan felt like the world was falling around him. He felt both hot and cold at once, and everything was spinning! Then, just as suddenly as it had begun it stopped, only instead of standing next to Netto he was lying across him. It seemed that he had fallen over, or that someone had pushed him.

((You fell.)) Anuzu said rather quickly. Enzan didn't believe her at all. Tainn didn't say anything, but Enzan heard him chuckle. ((Netto will be fine now. The fever and cough are gone. He just needs to rest a bit more, and he will be fine.))

Sure enough, when Enzan looked at Netto his face was no longer flushed, nor did he feel any trace of a fever when he placed his hand against Netto's forehead. His breathing was back to normal as well. Enzan sighed with relief.

"Thank you, Tainn."

((You did as much of the healing as I did. Which is why you feel so tired right now.

"I wondered about that," Enzan said, pushing himself up off of the bed and Netto.

((You may as well lie back down. Neither of you is ready to leave yet, and there is still much for you to do before you leave this mountains.))

"What is that supposed to mean?"

((Do you wish for me to put you to sleep like I did last night?))

Though he was never one to be meek, Enzan was not about to push the matter. Like Anuzu had said earlier, you couldn't win an argument with a wolf. Besides, at the moment, lying down didn't seem like such a bad idea. Smiling slightly he laid down on top of the blankets next to Netto, who was still oblivious to the world. After that point Enzan was asleep as well.