MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Survival of the Fittest ❯ Chapter Eleven ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Enzan's mind was in a bit of a spin. Very little was making sense anymore. Since he'd come on this trip much of his world had fallen apart. But in some ways that wasn't a bad thing. After all, he'd finally admitted his true feelings for Netto. It was what Tainn had told him that he was having a hard time dealing with.

((And it is something I expected, Spirit Brother.)) Tainn said. ((In fact, I would be more worried if you just flat out accepted it. After all, you were not raised in this belief like Netto was, to some extent.))

Enzan nodded slightly. "I guess so..." But he sounded very uncertain.

"Don't worry about," Netto suggested. "You'll only give yourself a headache."

"You don't worry about anything anyway, Hikari," Enzan teased.

"Hey! I do to! I worried about you-"

Netto realized that Enzan had been baiting him, and that he'd fallen for it. With a grin he tackled the other boy to the ground. The spell of seriousness that Tainn had cast ended right then, and the other wolves joined in on the game.

It was several minutes later before Tainn was able to speak again. By this time he was leading them back out of the ancient part of the forest and back into the places that Netto recognized. The other wolves had all but vanished from sight, though every so often one would dart into view before disappearing again.

"Tainn, you told us before we left that there was some sort of danger coming. You never explained that to us," Netto suddenly observed.

((No, I did not. There is not much I can say, save that it will come soon, and that you both must be on guard. What is coming is coming back from your pasts. Much of what happens will depend on the two of you. More than that, I cannot say. But I shall leave these with you.))

Tainn opened his mouth and dropped two stones onto the ground. Both were attatched to silve chains, and looked like they had come from the quartz stone. Engraved into both stones was the image of a running wolf. Netto and Enzan each picked one up.

((These have been in our clan since the time of my grandfather's grandfather. It is said that Aleka made them before the Battle. They are a symbol that you are of our clan. I promise they will be useful to you in the future. On that note, I take my leave of you, and let Anuzu guide you the rest of the way. Until we meet again, safe journeys, my Brothers.))

"Wait a minute!" Enzan exclaimed. "What do you mean by that?"

But Tainn had already vanished. Netto shook his head, an exasperated look on his face.

"I hate it when he does that," he growled. Then he looked at Anuzu. "Will you explain?"

((No.)) Anuzu said. ((You'll be given an explaination when the time is right. Now come, The Old Woman is waiting for both of you.))

Anuzu shook herself, then trotted off down the path, leaving Netto and Enzan to follow. Sighing loudly they did so.

"How do you put up with them?" Enzan asked, nodding towards Anuzu.

"Them? For the most part we ignore them. They're time frame is a lot different from ours, so their philosophies don't make much sense to us. So, unless they're really direct in what they're telling us, we don't pay much attention," Netto explained.

((So that's basically everything we tell you. And you humans wonder why you're society is so messed up.))

Netto and Enzan chose to follow Netto's advice: they ignored Anuzu. Severely irritated Anuzu refused to speak to them for the rest of the trip, not that it was any loss to the boys. In fact, it was quite pleasent.

****

Kichi had been watching the paths all day for any signs of Netto or Enzan. Nana had said they would be coming back sometime today, but she refused to let anyone go into the mountains to find them, and that irritated Kichi to no end. Granted, Mycah had sent Anuzu out when the storm had hit, but that had done little to ease Kichi's fears. Netto may have been taught how to escape a storm like that, but he'd never been tested, and Kichi would have felt better if she had been with him.

"Be still, child," Mycah said in a calm voice. "They are coming."

"How can I be calm after that big of a storm? What if Netto got hurt? What if he got caught in a flash flood! What if-"

"What if you're working yourself up for nothing?" Mycah interrupted. "See, look there."

The old woman pointed to one of the smaller paths. Kichi followed the twisted finger and spotted three objects moving through the trees, coming into the field. It was the boys and Anuzu.

"Netto!" Kichi exclaimed, running to greet her cousin. Mycah followed behind at a much slower pace.

They were about half way through the field when Kichi reached them. Netto smiled and said hi, but Enzan's greeting wasn't so...nice. Without a single shred of warning, he punched Kichi right in the eye, knocking her to the ground. Behind her Mycah and some of the other cousins began to laugh.

"Okay, I admit I had that coming," Kichi replied, picking herself up. "But did you really have to hit me so hard?"

"Yes, I did," Enzan replied coldly. Kichi shrugged.

"I see you both survived," Mycah said with a smile. Her eyes rested on the quartz pendents they were wearing for a moment, then returned her eyes to theirs. "Now time will tell whether or not you will continue to do so. Come, you both look like you could use a good rest." With a gesture she led everyone back to the house.

~End~

******

Ha! I finished it! That puts my total of finished fics at 3. And yes, I left it on an open note. That's because I plan for a sequel. So if you want to know what happens next you'll just have to wait. Am I not evil? *cackles and runs off*